Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    ...protein powders are out.
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    look up Allrecipes.com! have a look at many different recipes according to your taste and you will see how you can cook using many different types of food,for example how to make a pizza from base to sauce to finish.I never thought I could do it and now I wouldnt think of buying one,thats just one example!best of luck!

How long does it take to mill your flour for your pizza?

Touché
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ...protein powders are out.

Agreed. Plus they have nasty stuff like silica that your body can't digest anyway...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Nope. I just had linguini with canned clam sauce and chicken breast that was previously frozen. I'm pretty sure it's going to kill me.

OP: You need to learn how to cook using fresh ingredients but the "cut out" processed foods idea is way over the top. I suppose you could move to Alaska and hunt and gather for the rest of your life, or you could simply learn a bit about nutrition and avoid thinking that there's a boogeyman in every can or box.
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Cook your meals from scratch. This can save you money if you buy in bulk (and actually use the ingredients) and you determine what goes in your food.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Add in what you can where you can. You don't have to eat 100% clean - and I would never feel guilty about frozen veggies/fruit. Sometimes those can really help the wallet considering most of my local grocery stores will sell them 10 for $10. Because really - by the logic of some people on here if you aren't going to your backyard and picking it right out of your garden then you are failing. *eyeroll* Add in fruits and veggies. Always check out your local adds. If you have an Aldi's or a store along those lines hit up that place first and then go from there.

Really - take time to start loving to cook. Because that will help the most. If you have a SO of kids it's a great way to have some family fun while teaching those in your family good eating habits.

And don't be afraid to go to your local organic store. Sometimes you'll be surprised that certain things are cheaper there. Quinoa is cheapest at our fancy all organic store downtown then any other store we have here.

Good luck! Don't let it be something to stress you out, have fun, and don't expect to be 100% perfect!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Anybody have any good tips as to how to cut out processed foods?

I agree with another poster. Cook as much as you can from scratch.

Read labels! Frozen veggies may be low or no sodium, but you need to know. Watch out for added salt in canned foods, including those you use as an ingredient in a home-cooked meal. Seemingly innocent items can be very high in calories and sodium. Here is a Maruchan Ramen Package example: Serving size 1/2 block of noodles with seasoning. Calories 190. Sodium 830 mg. Eat a whole package? Calories 380, sodium 1660. Sodium is an issue for some people due to heath concerns, but all of us can get increased water retention from too much of it. You'll find it added to canned vegetables and meats. Sometimes it is worth it to go ahead and use the canned ingredient. Look at the numbers and decide for yourself.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    look up Allrecipes.com! have a look at many different recipes according to your taste and you will see how you can cook using many different types of food,for example how to make a pizza from base to sauce to finish.I never thought I could do it and now I wouldnt think of buying one,thats just one example!best of luck!

Touché

Well I'll be helpful here since everyone seems to be picking on the homemade or "sort of homemade" pizza.

Buy the pre made dough at Whole Foods. Nothing bad in it. You can even get the frozen dough or the dough that's already baked (there's some local pizza companies that sell their all natural dough in the Whole Foods refrigerated section).

Grab a bunch of your favorite toppings. Leftover grilled chicken and fresh veggies works well. Measure all of your ingredients to make it easier to log (the dough is easy to log because it lists the nutrition information).

Use fresh organic cheese (from a local source if you can). Slice it up and add to the pizza.

Use a pizza stone to cook the pizza (and follow the directions that came with the dough). It's usually 400F+ for 8-10 minutes. You also have to make sure to pre-heat.

In my experience the homemade pizza--even using an all natural local dough from Whole Foods--is way less calories and no preservatives compared to other pre-made dough on the market.

It's really easy to log because you pre-measure the ingredients and just divide by 4 or 2 depending on how many slices you have.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    shop the outside asiles of your grocery store first. Lots of veggies. I also buy the big bag of birds eye frozen veggies from Wal mart.

And how do the veggies get frozen and bagged? Processing...

My hero.
    Not my hero.
    Frozen is the next best. And to be honest - most 'FRESH' produce is picked and shipped sooner than it should be meaning its not as ripe as its supposed to be when picked therefore it loses some of its nutrients. Frozen isnt 'processed' in that way such as lunch meat and such so if youre going to eat frozen veggies, dont feel bad about it.

To avoid processed foods, stay away from ground meats, packaged meats, velveeta cheese or cheese in a jar, etc.....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

so are you like a sour patch kid......?

are you sour and then sweet ever? or just sour always?javascript:add_smiley('happy','post_body')

:huh:

I do love sour patch kids, just pointing out how unhelpful people are, the OP asked for non processed foods. Making your own pizza dough from a recipe still requires use of processed ingredients.

Unhelpful people? Boy, if that's not the pot calling the kettle black. I don't understand why you have to point that out at all. We can all see from your profile pic that you're in great shape. What advice would you actually have for the OP? :bigsmile:

O rly? Pointing out people giving deceiving advice is unhelpful?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    when the OP was asking about processed foods I doubt they were talking about frozen fruits and veggies. Which, by the way can be a good supplement to any diet. Frozen organic fruits and veggies retain their nutrients, are better than canning, are cheap and work out really well when making HOMEMADE soup or chili.

All of the food and nutrition experts agree that keeping some frozen food on hand (veggies and fruits) is actually a good habit to get into.

So stop the snark. I think the OP was asking how to cut processed foods from their diet.

And frozen foods are indeed processed, are they not?
    But making your own pizza (even using store bought dough) is still considered clean eating. Check out the latest book from Michael Pollan: Cooked. Plus, when you make your own pizza it's wayyyyy easier to log because you know what is going in it.

Anyone on here that says "oh don't make homemade pizza because it's using processed ingredients. This is not clean eating." need to really take a good long look in the mirror. Homemade pizza is not and will never be the same as Dominoes or Pizza Hut. Homemade is way better. Load it up with local meat and veggies an you're good to go (and local cheese). Log 2 slices (break down the ingredients to log) and wala--way less calories than takeout pizza and you made it with your own hands.

Clean eating =/= eating unprocessed foods. And solid strawman
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have cut almost all processed foods (granola, granola bars, rice and protein powder are the exceptions). Here are some tips:

What do you use a lot of?

Salad dressing - get some whole ingredients like lowfat buttermilk, olive oil, herbs (and more herbs) vinegars, avocados, cucumbers, even whole anchovies, and play around with your favorite ingredients to make salad dressing.

Flavored rice: Use brown rice and add flavors like herbs, fresh veggies (celery, carrots, peas) or even almonds for flavor. I really like Organic Better than Boulion as a seasoning - still processed, but at least I know it is organic and I control how much.

Pasta sauce. Yuck I know - but make your own. Tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, olive oil etc make for a limited ingredient sauce. Make a giant batch one weekend and freeze smaller portions in freezer bags.

Herbs are my savior. They make anything taste better. Once you get away from the processed stuff, you'll taste it in a few weeks and it will taste awful!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Well OP you can shoot me a message since this thread is no logner about on incorporating more unprocessed foods
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Nope. I just had linguini with canned clam sauce and chicken breast that was previously frozen. I'm pretty sure it's going to kill me.

OP: You need to learn how to cook using fresh ingredients but the "cut out" processed foods idea is way over the top. I suppose you could move to Alaska and hunt and gather for the rest of your life, or you could simply learn a bit about nutrition and avoid thinking that there's a boogeyman in every can or box.

That's actually considered clean eating. (and tasty). As long as the chicken is hormone and antibiotic free and not factory farmed. Nothing wrong with that meal at all.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Clean eating =/= eating unprocessed foods. And solid strawman

Your argument is invalid. Clean eating is clean eating and keeping processed foods away (or at a minimum). You eat the way you eat and I'll eat the way I eat.

Never been overweight a day in my life so I'd have to say my clean eating is working really darn well.
  • BeachIron
    Options

That's actually considered clean eating. (and tasty). As long as the chicken is hormone and antibiotic free and not factory farmed. Nothing wrong with that meal at all.

I'm so glad that fits your personal definition of clean eating. Enjoy your quixotic crusade.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Stop buying them?
  • Onesnap
    Options

I'm so glad that fits your personal definition of clean eating. Enjoy your quixotic crusade.

I'm just saying honestly. I mean yeah, the seafood is in a can. If it's just seafood and water (and no preservatives) so what? The pasta could be organic and made by hand and purchased at a little Italian market and the chicken could be purchased at the farmer's market and frozen by the person that bought the chicken from the farmer.

If you dig into the definition there's ways to make this meal clean.

Even cleaner would be to make the pasta yourself at home (but getting it from a small maker or in my case the farmer's market--how is that not clean eating?).

Just think about what you are saying.

Every meal can be transformed to a clean meal if you just source local, small, and organic for the ingredients. The canned fish can be adjusted by visiting the local fisherman at the farmer's market (mine is really awesome by the way and I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean).

You just gotta get creative.

Clams + pasta + chicken = really good clean eating if you think for a minute where the ingredients are coming from. If I dig the clams out of the sand 1/2 hour from my house, get the pasta and chicken from the farmer's market I'd have to say that's pretty gosh darn clean eating.
  • peachykeek
    peachykeek Posts: 19
    Options

so are you like a sour patch kid......?

are you sour and then sweet ever? or just sour always?javascript:add_smiley('happy','post_body')

:huh:

I do love sour patch kids, just pointing out how unhelpful people are, the OP asked for non processed foods. Making your own pizza dough from a recipe still requires use of processed ingredients.

Unhelpful people? Boy, if that's not the pot calling the kettle black. I don't understand why you have to point that out at all. We can all see from your profile pic that you're in great shape. What advice would you actually have for the OP? :bigsmile:

O rly? Pointing out people giving deceiving advice is unhelpful?

yep, it's super unhelpful when you don't have any actual advice to give, yourself. if you're well-educated on the topic, please, for the benefit of everyone, spend your time and energy enlightening us, instead of being a smart-*kitten*. give real tips. the people offering suggestions are trying to help, based on what they know. if you know better, offer something better up.
  • BeachIron
    Options

I'm just saying honestly. I mean yeah, the seafood is in a can. If it's just seafood and water (and no preservatives) so what? The pasta could be organic and made by hand and purchased at a little Italian market and the chicken could be purchased at the farmer's market and frozen by the person that bought the chicken from the farmer.

If you dig into the definition there's ways to make this meal clean.

Even cleaner would be to make the pasta yourself at home (but getting it from a small maker or in my case the farmer's market--how is that not clean eating?).

Just think about what you are saying.

Every meal can be transformed to a clean meal if you just source local, small, and organic for the ingredients. The canned fish can be adjusted by visiting the local fisherman at the farmer's market (mine is really awesome by the way and I'm 1/2 hour from the ocean).

You just gotta get creative.

Clams + pasta + chicken = really good clean eating if you think for a minute where the ingredients are coming from. If I dig the clams out of the sand 1/2 hour from my house, get the pasta and chicken from the farmer's market I'd have to say that's pretty gosh darn clean eating.

I'm saying that if you're paying more for your food so you get organic, or hormone-free, or small farm or any of the other nonsense, you're wasting your money. None of that is any different than the "you have to drink 8 glasses of water a day" routine that ties people in knots. Watch your macros, micros, fiber, etc. and exercise. Once that is done, you should probably be much more concerned about spending your money on better dental care, a car with great side impact protection, and a good generator for blackouts. Seriously, if you want to live longer, then spring for a Volvo or a Mercedes. Human risk analysis is amazingly poor, and a good number of people on here genuinely think non-organic food is going to kill them, or even more laughable, have an impact on their weight loss.