She just doesnt get it!

Options

Replies

• Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    First off /agree with all the comments about you being rude.

Secondly, if you are living there for absolute free you are being completely ungrateful. I live at home but still pay about $200/month, not because my mom demands it but because I know I used the water, the heat and the electricity. And before you say "I don't make enough" I don't want to hear it because I'm unemployed an living off student loans.

Thirdly, bring a scale. Measure out 4 oz. cooked pasta (it doubles in weight approximately when you cook it.) If you let it drain a bit, you shouldn't have more than half a tablespoon of olive oil on the pasta WHICH IS GOOD FAT.

Ok so now fill the rest of your plate with broccoli. Or if you need to have protein, bake some chicken. I just made 8 breasts today. I cut them into 4 oz portions and I plan on freezing them. Then I can thaw them when ever I need some meat. Now you have a little starch (200 cals), a little protein (120 cals); some good fat (60 cals); and your veg (100 cal). Practically a 500 calorie meal of awesome.

edit: Oh and say: "Thanks Mom, I appreciate the fact that you made me dinner. I love you."

Thank you for being awesome. :drinker:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    As a Mom with a kid who says UGH - I don't want to eat that! I can see both sides of the issue.

Is she willing to do menu planning with you? Maybe you can look up some easy low-cal healthy recipes that you could cook together or she'd be willing to cook. Do you grocery shop with her? My kid is free to buy whatever he wants if he comes with me - but if he chooses not to shop then he gets whatever I buy whether he likes it or not. He's also free to make his own dinner if he doesn't like what I make. Or he'll have something in addition to what I make.

Can you make whole wheat pasta or spaghetti squash for yourself while they eat regular pasta? This is a pretty simple solution.

Also I kinda agree with mom - having a normal portion of pasta and a large portion of broccoli seems like a decent plan to me.

Finally - you know how your Mom is. Plan for it. You were at the gym so you earned some exercise calories. Eat as healthy as you can during the day and you'll have the calories available for Mom's cooking.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'd like to point out that after my daughter was born, I did not do anything to TRY to lose weight. I did walk some when I needed to for groceries and things. But my main meal was a huge plate of white pasta with a bunch of cheddar cheese melted on top. And I lost every bit of baby weight in six months.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I wasn't even going to start in on this...

Your mother isn't your damn maid. You don't have to eat what she cooks (especially if you are an adult), but if you don't like it cook your own damn food (even if she doesn't like it, tell her I'm sorry, but this is what I need to eat for me). You're an adult, grow a pair and get over yourself. Her world does NOT revolve around you, hate to tell you.

I live at home, and pay rent. Yes, I pay rent ($500 a month). I do cook my own meals due to allergies, but sometimes I do eat what mom cooks. and I thank her EVERY DAMN TIME. And if it's "unhealthy" or "unclean" as you put it - just eat a little less.

And if you don't like it and your mom doesn't listen, find a new place to live, pay rent, and live your own life.
  • abrodniak
    abrodniak Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get that you're frustrated, because your mom doesn't cook the "healthy" meals you think she should, but disrespecting her that way is really not going to get you the results you're wanting. If my children ever disrespected me like that, they would first have to deal with me, then their father, and then they'd have to do without dinner. If they spoke to me like that as an adult, they could find another place to stay. Surely, you are adult enough to sit down with your mom and explain to her why this is so important and try to come up with a compromise. You have got to realize, though, that you are living in her home, and she does not have to cook the way you want her to. You are the one making the changes, so you're the one who has to learn to adapt in any situation. If you don't want the meals she is offering, then make your own trips to buy your own groceries and make your own meals. I'm willing to bet, though, that she'd be much more receptive to your changes if you weren't so disrespectful toward her.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Move out. Cook your own food. Problem solved.

Not exactly. What if you can't afford to move out?
    Um. Grow up and get a job? If you did both of those and rent is still to expensive-get a cheaper place to live or as many roommates as it takes to afford it.

Good lord-it isn't rocket science. Either grow up or shut up and eat your twinkies and pasta.
  • LindseyAlyssa
    Options
    I still live with family and I manage just fine by cooking my own food, or offering to cook for the household so that I may control what goes into each dish. By doing that I've still lost a good deal of weight/Body Fat without hurting too many feelings, I've become a much better cook, and I'm getting my family to eat healthier food. Win-Win-Win.
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Ok so I hope im putting this in the right spot but... I get a call from home andthe convo went something like this...

mom- are you going to the gym tonite?
    me- yea im not sure how long ill be. Whats for dinner?
    mom- Pasta with broccoli
    me- Im not having that, The pasta... and the oil. ugh
    mom- have a little
    me- you cant just have a little and think its ok, its not enough food and too many calories and carbs.
    mom- so just take a lot of broccoli
    me- ::click::

She just doesnt get it.. im trying to lose weight here and eat my protein and clean food... "having a little" just isnt gonna cut it! I wish there was a way for her to understand but there really isnt. Being from a pretty hardcore italian family we have pasta 2-3 nights a week. Dad doesnt like whole wheat pasta and god forbid I dont eat whats cooked... Its so frustrating that even when I make my own food she still gets upset bc I didnt eat what she cooked. I wish someone would come in and scream at her at wtf shes cooking. Anyone know how I can get it thru her thick head?

sorry about that!
    (rant over)

I completely understand. I used to be just like you. Ungrateful for what my mother did for me out of love. Now that she's dead, I'm free to cook my own meals.

But now that my evil mother who fed me all the yummy, nutritious and filling foods (yet somehow I stayed thin with her cooking, magic I know) is dead, I now have this Satan's minion of a sister-in-law cooking for me daily. She just doesn't get it. She feed feeding me carbs and beans and lentils and veggies and meats and cheese and eggs and dairy. I am forced to tell her how much I will have to taste her yummy and nutritious foods and make my own salad to fill the rest of my calories and my belly like a grown up. I don't wanna be a grown up. If I wanted to be a grown up, I wouldn't have turned 29 years old...

WOW...I don't think you were patronizing enough in that post. please try again.

You know, I think he was right on target. Honestly. 1 cup of pasta is about 200 calories + whatever is added to it. It's not impossible to figure this out and just eat a portion that fits your macros. Supplement it with a can of tuna or a protein shake if you need to. If you don't like it, buy and cook your own food. Our parents won't be with us forever. (Which I unfortunately know from experience.)

I eat pasta 4 or 5 times a week and it doesn't halt my progress because I am a grown up with lots of great tools like this website that help me understand how much of it I can eat and still lose weight. Your mom "gets it" (which is why she's asking you) but she needs you (OP) to understand that you are a part of a family and if you are going to rely on her cooking you need to 1) communicate more effectively with her and 2) make compromises and find a way to make your lifestyle work with her cooking. Maybe you could get yourself home in time to show an interest in her cooking and find out exactly what's in it, for tracking purposes. It's pasta, not a big bucket of fried chicken. If you really don't want it, politely decline, tell her you love her, and stop by for something else on the way home. Your future spouse (if any) will thank you for figuring this out now.

Signed,

Somebody's mom.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I hope you punched your mom in the face for being so stupid. She brought that on herself! Broccoli and pasta...sheesh!
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    I am going with he is trolling us.

Can't see age because MFP apparently is broken right now, but from his pictures in his profile he looks to be in his 30's. If he is still living with "mommy" and she is still feeding him and paying his bills....sweet baby cheesus....
  • LazyBearGrrr
    LazyBearGrrr Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Move out. Cook your own food. Problem solved.

^^This

If I had someone that was willing to cook my foot for me, I'd be excited, not full of angst about it. You're an adult...if you want different food, grab some pots and pans and go for it!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Jesus....how old are you? I bet your single too...am i right?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 lbs eating pasta multiple nights a week. Just eat less.

Your mom has the right idea.
  • irishscootz
    Options
    what_the_hell_just_happened-7962.gif
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Just eat some of the damn pasta. Eat a lot of the broccoli. Make your own food.
    Most importantly, be nice to your mother. Just because you're on a diet, doesn't mean she has to cook and eat as if she's on one. Man up.

This ^^ cook your own food or eat what your mom cooks and stop complaining.
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    No matter how frustrated OP is with his mom not cooking what he wants her to cook, *coughungratefulcough* it doesn't warrant him wanting someone to come in and scream at her, and it certainly doesn't excuse him going on a public forum and saying that she needs to get it through her "thick head". My son is 14, I come from an old fashioned West Indian family, and even he knows how to throw in a couple of chicken breasts into the oven or on the grill. He can make a burger, he can cook some turkey, and he knows where the deli section is in the grocery store if he wants some deli meat.

If you want to supplement with more protein, add some lean meat, eat less pasta and pile some vegetables on your plate. Also, grow up.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    The way I see it is your a big kid... get your big kid pull ups and move out (do not even talk to me about paying rent I have been paying my own rent since I was 17... and it aint cheap here either).

or stop whining and just suck it up. either way it involves you being the bigger person and sucking it the hell up. Your mom made dinner, you do not want it, do not eat it and make your own food.

You either eat it or you don't thats your choice but ranting about your mother making you food is kind of stupid. I would love if my mom cooked for me all the time.. .but alas I am a big girl and moved out and now I have to make my own food.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Also as for Long Island being the most expensive...

I grew up there. Still beats my 1500 a month rent I'm looking at in Orange County, California (which I am moving in November). So no, Long Island isn't that expensive. Don't live in the Hempsteads, you nut. My friends live in other parts of Suffolk and make rent fine (Happague, Babylon, etc). Or you can move to Nassau and really be an entitled child.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Perfect example of something that is wrong with the world.

Disgusting.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I hope you punched your mom in the face for being so stupid. She brought that on herself! Broccoli and pasta...sheesh!

funny but it made me remember. - I never even tasted broccoli untill i was 18 and moved out of the house. both of my parents have food aversions and promised themselves they wouldnt "do that" to their kids. yeah so thats what happend
This discussion has been closed.