I don't eat clean. I won't eat clean. It's a stupid concept.

Options

Replies

• BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    If I forced myself to eat clean, I would be a binger.

I need to be allowed to drink my coffee with cream and sugar, and have pizza, and the occasional bowl of ice cream. If I need to grab a quick burger - I need the freedom to do that.

I rarely even fit my macros - the only thing I try to do is stick within my daily calorie limit and get my required protein.

When I force myself to eat "properly" I become a miserable cranky person who is much more inclined to eat an entire bag of doritos with salsa and sour cream.

When I allow myself to have some treats, I am much happier, and it works better for me.

If you are a clean eater, and happy - great job! But I don't feel it is the only way to achieve success.

p.s. I feel the need to prove visually that this method works for me, so here is a recent progress pic:
    16124725_8925.jpg

^ THIS!!!
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    FYI, this post is not directed at any one person but a group of people and you know who you are.

Here is my issue with the whole clean eating, organic, etc... Most of you like to rub it in that you are participating in that kind of eating, like it is a badge of honor, but when someone calls you on the carpet for doing so you get all touchy about the fact that we do not agree with your choices. Why even mention it? We wouldn't have to bad mouth your clean eating if you wouldn't even bring it up and you don't have to bring it up, it is a choice in each and every post that you make.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's honestly NOT about what everyone is making it about. Eating clean is simple. It's about eating any and all whole foods you can. That includes BUTTER! Natural, beautiful, delicious BUTTER! Not I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT BUTTER (Believe it folks. IT'S NOT BUTTER. It's disgusting. Eat some damn butter.)

Eat whole, naturally occurring foods. That's eating clean. So, yes! You can totally eat pumpkin pie! Why not? Just make it from scratch or buy it from a bakery who makes it from scratch!

Nothing is forbidden. Just eat what you want and make sure it's not laden with preservatives and garbage that will end up making your body HATE YOU in the long run.

At the end of the day, do what you want. If you want to eat clean. Eat clean. If you want to eat like ****. Eat like ****. Who cares?! It's your body, it's your food, it's YOUR life. And don't get so wrapped up in everyone giving a crap about what you do or don't do. They must be bored.

I personally eat clean 80-90% of the time, and if I want to eat a Dairy Queen Blizzard, I do. I know I'll pay for it later, but sometimes I just need some mother loving oreo goodness swirled into a bucket of soft serve!

The real reason I gave up preservatives, garbage, added ingredients, bull**** hormones, etc. is because I could tell my body wasn't reacting to just eating a caloric deficit. It was holding onto this little tire around my waist and jiggle under my butt. It's all about calories in v. calories out. But the calories you take in, at least for ME, should be QUALITY calories. It helps my body absorb nutrients and turn into a well oiled fat fighting machine. If I ate a double cheese burger before working out instead of any of my other clean food choices, I would probably barf. But hey...that's just me. And maybe it's you, too. Who knows?
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I don't get the concept of clean vs dirty food. My nutritionist laughs at the idea and trend. Don't be afraid of food. If I want a slice of pizza or a few pieces of chocolate or sweedish fish, I should learn how to enjoy these things without eating the whole pizza or bag of candy, etc.

She always says, there is no such thing as bad food. Some of the "clean eaters" are just as annoying as some vegans. Get off your high horse.
    No offense intended but If a nutritionist told me that. I would find new one and quick- especially if you she is saying things like cheez whiz and cocoa pops are not bad food>.what the heck? Most of the heavily processed "foods" have zero nuttitional value and do not resemble anything close to real food- something a nutritionist should be concerned with, no? But hey that is my two cents.
    To the OP- Most clean eaters are not only focused on weight loss but also health.. If you goal is to only loose weight then yeah eat whatever you want and as long as you are still loosing . I don't eat clean- well not the definition of "clean" anyway- I have Celiac disease and the health issues and food intolerancs that come with it which are many- To even die-hard clean eaters ,my menu looks extreme and radical..But hey, I have no choice in the matter if I want to feel human and be able to function. So extreme that I don't even expect my husband children to be as strict as I have to be- but I make sure they eat not only declious food and they have treats that I make from scratch but als what they eat is healthy and real food.
    The basics and this should be standard for any diet or health plan- EAT. REAL. FOOD. in proper amounts and get active. If a product has a list of ingredients as long as your arm and half you can't pronounce and your great-grandmother would not recognize as food then don't eat it..5 or less ingredients is best and as close how the original food is found in nature as possible.
    My ultimate point here is do what is right for you. Let others do the same and we will all be happy. Why do you care what others eat?
  • SieSie76
    SieSie76 Posts: 60
    Options
    For me, clean eating means eating the foods (and amounts) necessary to reach your goal. You want to just lose weight, then eat less calories. You want to feel full, eat your darn proteins. You want to shed fat and lean out, take out the fats and sugars. Heck, you want to have an all natural body, then eat all natural foods. This is what clean eating means to me. Eating what you need to clean out what you no longer want in or on your body.

:P
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Yup, choosing to eat minimally processed, healthy foods is just plain stupid. Resolving disease with diet instead of pharmaceuticals and surgery is even more stupid.

Me so stupid. (And happy, and feeling like superwoman, and getting to a healthy weight effortlessly....) :laugh:

Edit: I only mentioned "resolving disease" because that's MY personal experience from changing my diet. And no it's not totally "clean". I just can't follow the logic of people who seem driven to perpetuate the lie that diet does not affect health. Totally ILLOGICAL.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Quote from Layne Norton

"I find the whole idea of ‘clean eating’ pretentious. What exactly defines a food as ‘clean’? Do you spray windex on it? Rub soap on it? I find it a bit preposterous. I’ve been in debates with people promoting ‘clean eating’ but when I ask for a specific scientific definition of what makes a food ‘clean’ they are silent. I think the restrictive diets where you can only eat a half dozen or so foods are not only unhealthy because they don’t give you a diverse intake of nutrients but I believe they promote eating disorders and binging. I see people who ‘eat clean’ during most of the week and then binge on cheesecake, ice cream, and donuts because it’s a ‘cheat’ meal. Oh yea… that is way healthier than eating ‘unclean’ foods in moderation to a hit a specific macronutrient target. *rolleyes* Now that said, I do believe that many IIFYMers (I find it funny that something myself and others been promoting for years gets an acronym attached to it and is now this ‘new’ way of eating LOL) actually go too far in one direction. Most people who origionally promoted targeting macronutrient intakes instead of obsessing about food choices actually eat ‘clean’ foods 95% of the time, we just don’t agonize over having a homemade burrito with a low carb wrap or some reduced calorie ice cream. We see the value of a controlled intake in order to prevent uncontrolled binging. But I do see IIFYM followers who eat as much sugary, high fat foods as they can and wear it like a badge of honor. That is not the point. If you are following a macronutrient intake that is friendly for body composition you will be eating a lot of ‘clean’ foods by default because you will not be able to hit a protein, carb, fat, and fiber intake conducive to body composition improvement if all you eat are high sugar/fat foods. The point is it’s ok to have these foods in small amounts if you are still hitting your goal macronutrient intake."

http://www.shreddedknowledge.com/home/a-talk-with-the-doc-dr-layne-norton/
    ^^^ Yup!

I'm am SO willing to bet that, MOST of the time an IIFYM-er's diet (who's doing it right) is almost identical to the "clean eater's" diet. It's just a difference in approach and mental grueling over how you get there.

Kinda like how most of these debates are. MOST of the time both sides are well established in the truth, but the very slight differences are in semantics or meaningless details. That's why this is a waste of time :smile:
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I need to be allowed to drink my coffee with cream and sugar, and have pizza, and the occasional bowl of ice cream. If I need to grab a quick burger - I need the freedom to do that.

I rarely even fit my macros - the only thing I try to do is stick within my daily calorie limit and get my required protein.

When I force myself to eat "properly" I become a miserable cranky person who is much more inclined to eat an entire bag of doritos with salsa and sour cream.

When I allow myself to have some treats, I am much happier, and it works better for me.

If you are a clean eater, and happy - great job! But I don't feel it is the only way to achieve success.

p.s. I feel the need to prove visually that this method works for me, so here is a recent progress pic:
    16124725_8925.jpg

Indeed
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    -_- lmao - Maybe I shouldn't have rephrased that to say "if it has more syllables than you can count on your fingers" :P

dihydrogen monoxide

Do you know how many people die from this every year? Scary stuff. We should ban it.

Everytime I see this posted on facebook, or twitter, I just post this.

http://www.snopes.com/science/dhmo.asp

And love watching the backlash.

Whoever wrote the original deserves all the awards.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight: You think that avoiding foods that are heavily processed using methods only invented in the past 50 years or so is a "fad." Do I have this right? K, just making sure.

and yet eating foods everyday that until about a century ago we'd never been exposed to is fine, but foods we've been eating for 10000 years is against our evolution?
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    So let me get this straight: You think that avoiding foods that are heavily processed using methods only invented in the past 50 years or so is a "fad." Do I have this right? K, just making sure.

You are aware we didn't have the internet 50 years ago or fuel efficient cars right? And our life expectancy was SHORTER?

The earth used to have dinosaurs too, but I'm not hoping one shows up for dinner. Because oh god help me the blood.
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm STILL not even sure what "eating clean" means exactly. In any case, isn't the whole point just to be healthier? You know, in all aspects? Walk more, sleep better, eat healthier? *shrug* :drinker:

I try to shower or at least wash up, before every meal.
    I also try to brush after every meal, but never following curse words.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    "Hello, and welcome to Pete's Diner, may I take your order please?"

"Yes, I'm interested in Pete's ultimate stacker, what does that come with?"

"Why it's a house specialty! Two all-beef patties topped with two slices of cheddar cheese, two strips of bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, and our secret sauce, all on a kaiser roll. And you can have that with fries, mashed potatoes, veggies, or a baked potato."

"Well that sounds delicious...can I have that without the secret sauce"

"Sure thing"

"Also instead of the cheese and bacon can I have extra lettuce?"

"Ok"

"And instead of the roll, can I also have more lettuce?"

"Ummm...ok"

"Great...and lastly instead of the burgers can I have some...hmmm...spinach?"

"What?"

"Spinach, do you have any?"

"Yes...but..."

"Ok good, and for my side what veggies do you have?"

"Brocolli...but your burger..."

"Alright, I'll take that."

"So you want the Pete's burger but instead of the burger you want lettuce and spinach...with a side of brocolli?"

"Yes."

Chuck_Norris_punch.gif
  • jelk8881
    jelk8881 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I eat cleaner but if I want some chocolate and I can fit it into my calories I am going to eat chocolate. Everything is bad for you if you do it all the time. But you should have your pizza, candy, or chocolate once in awhile.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    My reaction everytime someone says that I should eat one way or another.

7RvAbt3.jpg
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options
    IIFYM is just as much of a trend/fad as clean eating. Not everyone sees eating a diet of fresh, natural foods in a clean-eating plan as "suffering". Eat whatever you want; I'll do the same.

What people also seem to forget is that IIFYM arose from another body building trend - clean eating.

This is not because clean eating failed to work. In fact it worked very well. It was because bodybuilders got bored with reduced food choices (which is perfectly understandable.)

They are both decent dieting structures which an individual can use to secure dietary adherence given their preferences.

The fact that IIFYM is now seen as the answer to life, the universe and everything is a bit hilarious though.

I think that there is a happy middle, but people are so extreme. Clean eaters know that they indulge "uncleanly" every once and a while... and IIFYMers know that they aren't eating cheeseburgers morning noon and night. If everyone was just honest, then they wouldn't have to wear how they eat as a badge of honor and get so defensive every time someone says something different.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    clean eating is a silly concept that leads to all sorts of problems for all sorts of people. i hate to see anybody feel guilty or shame over their food choices. the proponents of clean eating completely ignore these consequences. however, on MFP anyone with their eyes open can see these consequences on a daily basis.
    rice is rice. it's not clean or dirty. it's just rice. i don't need to check with somebody before having rice with dinner to see if it's allowed or not.
    Sorry, but Zatarain's would disagree!
    0007142908925_500X500.jpg

FTR, I do not subscribe to any kind of clean-only eating; I focus on water intake, cals, the 3 macros, and 3 micros (fiber, potassium, and sodium). That's what works for me and it may or may not work for you. #YMMV #TEHO
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    Perhaps you should focus on why you're angry instead of what other people keep in their fridge.

Hope your day turns around.

P.S. You're wearing your resistance as a badge of honor.....

This.

I believe in trying to eat healthfully out of a belief that your body functions best when you give it what it needs and that that helps to reduce cravings. I also tend to think that the excessive amounts sodium (preservatives) and 6 different kinds of sugar (they split the names up so that they can be further down the ingredient list, when if it was simply listed as "sugar" it would most likely be number 1 on the ingredient list) in processed food is perhaps not the most efficient way for a person to eat their daily allowances of sodium and sugars. And, like everyone, I'm not always 100% consistent to my well-meaning goals.

But, hey, we each have to find what works for us. That's the only way to sustain a diet. You have to find strategies that fit your lifestyle.

So if something works for you, great.

If something else works for someone else, why should that bother *you*?
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options

16124725_8925.jpg

You've lost 6 pounds and look like that???
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    BUMP