Why Women Should Not Run (as their only means to lose)

Options

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    deadhorse.gif

Can I start a petition to have that listed as "spam"? It gets dragged up almost as frequently as spam.

Spam is the bomb btw
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I know it's true for me. I ran for over two years and did not lose more than about five pounds. I started a body-weight training program (because I can't join a gym) and I've lost 20 pounds and 5 inches off my waist. I still run because I enjoy it but I don't run as often and I don't try to go longer and/or faster as a means of weight loss and it is no longer my fitness focus.
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    Why does he only mention women, though? Doesn't this apply to both genders?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    This is a good article. Everything in moderation... including cardio!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Why does he only mention women, though? Doesn't this apply to both genders?

He did state in the article that it applies to both genders, but that the issue is more prevalent in women.
  • lorim200
    lorim200 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use elliptical 5 days a week for 30 minutes. It's working great for me.
  • anxietygirl
    anxietygirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I used to run in the military (in formation for a few miles every other day), and it did help me to build leg muscles/cardiovascular endurance. I liked it then, but do not do it now.

Ultimately, people are going to do what they feel comfortable with, so I don't care if people want to run. Oh wellz.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    obviously you have not read 'Born to Run'

:)

(amazing book by the way)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    oops sorry say its topic was focused on women never mind
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    The first time I lost weight I only did cardio. I LOVE CARDIO. And I lost weight, but still looked flabby. My goals involve toning up this time around, not just movement on the scale. So, I'd agree with you. But it all depends on individual goals. :)
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    But I have seen a few people on the ellipticals every time I'm there and I haven't seen much visual differences. This is over the course of 6-12 months. I think they should start lifting more and do less cardio for better results.

The problem here is that you don't know what these women are going outside of the gym. Perhaps they are eating their weight in potato chips and candy bars every night and that's why they aren't losing weight.

I agree that strength training is beneficial but there isn't anything wrong with lots of cardio if you have cardio related goals.

The article's intent is to discuss cardio vs weight loss.

I agree that cardiovascular fitness is important to the goal of health. Just might not be the best path for weight loss. The article does define the goal as weight loss. But it could also be the calorie deficit that that person (man or woman) puts themselves in as a result of all the cardio,.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    "I won’t name names, but I’ve seen amazing displays of gluttony from some small, trim women. Entire pizzas disappear, leaving only the flotsam of toppings that fell during the feeding frenzy. Appetizers, meals, cocktails and desserts—4000 calories worth—vanish at the Cheesecake Factory. There are no leftovers, and there are no crumbs. Some women catch this in time and stop the devastation, but others quickly swell, realizing that this supposed off-season look has become their every-season look.
    And guess what they do to fix it? Double sessions of cardio."

It's sections like this that make this article not even worth reading. It assumes that those women running on the treadmill are doing so because they just gorged themselves the day before on thousands of calories worth of food and now they're trying to make up for it. Maybe they are actually working toward fitness goals like a faster PR time or longer distance, etc. And not all people who run are miserable and hate their life while running lol.

I'm one of those people- training for a half marathon in September. Am I miserable? No. Do I order extra cheese on my double cheeseburger at Red Robin and then expect to run 7 miles the next day and melt the fat off? No. I also weight train. I think putting a blanket statement on women who run and the reasons they do so is ignorant and a tasteless way to present your argument.

The article also has an extremely sarcastic tone aimed at those who participate in running events such as charity 5k's, team relays, etc. Have you really ever seen an obese marathon runner? Running is not making these people fat. Running never MADE anyone fat. It's an illogical argument.

To say that running isn't the best form of exercise to lose weight could be correct and I wouldn't argue that. Weight training is important, I think everyone on this site can agree. But to argue that running actually causes weight gain and obesity is ridiculous. This article left a bad taste in my mouth the first time I read it.
  • MelanieSkittle
    MelanieSkittle Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    After a month—or three—of 20-plus hours of cardio per week, fat burning hits astonishing lows, and fat cells await an onslaught of calories to store[66-72]

Who has time for that? That's a part time job not a workout.

The article does call it a part time job, but seriously, normal people don't run that much. I run 2-4 miles outdoors almost everyday; that only gives me a few hours of cardio for the whole week. 20 hours would require me to run something like 100 miles for the week, over 15 miles a day (assuming I could maintain a 12 min mile for that many miles). Not normal.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    In to keep the anticlimactic agreement going.

:laugh: :laugh: me too!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    also, tired of men telling me what i should be doing.

Yeah, I'm with you on this. Gettin' real tired of yo ****, male "experts" on women's fitness.

QFT

Walking is my main exercise. I rarely lift weights anymore.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio and weights.

...but they're both good for you.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    "I won’t name names, but I’ve seen amazing displays of gluttony from some small, trim women. Entire pizzas disappear, leaving only the flotsam of toppings that fell during the feeding frenzy. Appetizers, meals, cocktails and desserts—4000 calories worth—vanish at the Cheesecake Factory. There are no leftovers, and there are no crumbs. Some women catch this in time and stop the devastation, but others quickly swell, realizing that this supposed off-season look has become their every-season look.
    And guess what they do to fix it? Double sessions of cardio."

It's sections like this that make this article not even worth reading. It assumes that those women running on the treadmill are doing so because they just gorged themselves the day before on thousands of calories worth of food and now they're trying to make up for it. Maybe they are actually working toward fitness goals like a faster PR time or longer distance, etc. And not all people who run are miserable and hate their life while running lol.

I'm one of those people- training for a half marathon in September. Am I miserable? No. Do I order extra cheese on my double cheeseburger at Red Robin and then expect to run 7 miles the next day and melt the fat off? No. I also weight train. I think putting a blanket statement on women who run and the reasons they do so is ignorant and a tasteless way to present your argument.

The article also has an extremely sarcastic tone aimed at those who participate in running events such as charity 5k's, team relays, etc. Have you really ever seen an obese marathon runner? Running is not making these people fat. Running never MADE anyone fat. It's an illogical argument.

To say that running isn't the best form of exercise to lose weight could be correct and I wouldn't argue that. Weight training is important, I think everyone on this site can agree. But to argue that running actually causes weight gain and obesity is ridiculous. This article left a bad taste in my mouth the first time I read it.

*high five*
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    deadhorse.gif

Can I start a petition to have that listed as "spam"? It gets dragged up almost as frequently as spam.

seriously!!!! I feel like I've seen this EXACT SAME thread multiple times :explode: