is there any ice cream that is ok to eat?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• dkgoetz
    dkgoetz Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Any ice cream! Either dish up the recommended portion of a regular ice cream, or go with something else like Skinny Cow ice cream bars (the Salted Caramel Pretzel ones are AMAZING) or Weight Watchers brand ice cream snacks. Kemps makes a ton of frozen yogurt choices that are very tasty.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Breyer's Low Carb (in vanilla or chocolate) is excellent, especially since I have to watch my carbs. The chocolate is rich and creamy and something I can indulge in every now and then.
    THIS^^^

It is true that it can all be fit in. I also love Arctic Zero for quantity. LOL. A whole pint is 150 calories, and sometimes I just wanna tuck in. ;-)
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'd rather have a bit smaller amount of something I REALLY love vs a bunch of something mediocre. I'd rather have my 1 serving of Graeters black raspberry chip after a really great workout and not feel deprived or guilty. Its not about cutting out all ice cream, nor is it about having to settle for something as a substitute. Everyone has different things they would like to keep within their diet. Its a lifestyle. You have to make it work for you. You don't have to be deprived of anything.

GRAETERS. NOM NOM NOM
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you like ice cream, you should eat it, track it, and enjoy it.
  • brnidsusn
    brnidsusn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I cannot keep ice cream in my home ( that goes for any "goodie") nor can any of my family. we just can't. I/we have accepted this fact. I wish I could and am working on it but....

when I really want ice cream or a goodie I have to go out and get it. and only the serving I will eat then & there. typically what I like to do is work for it. I am fortunate to have some unbelievable local homemade ice cream and chocolate shops around. I grab some family/friends and walk there and back. it's social & fun and the treat tastes sooooo good! much better than mindless eating. we share and sample each others selections and compare. ( we all tend to get kiddie sizes bc the ice cream portions are HUGE!)
    good food, good company and lots of laughs. life is good :)

ps the fake stuff tastes.. well fake and unsatisfying. rather have the occasional reasonable portioned good stuff. I am trying to eat clean so artificial processed foods now taste bad and leave me feeling ill.

pps. I am far from perfect. I overindulge ( yesterday cookout/party) I recognize and let it go. start fresh & back on track the next day/meal.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We have ice cream almost every day. I make my own in a blender with low fat creme fraiche and frozen berries, cherries, mango, peaches, baked plums, PB, bananas, chocolate, coconut, vanilla, pear.....

For people in UK - Sainsbury's be good to yourself creme fraiche has only 80cal per 100g.
    You get HUGE portions of creamy frozen deliciousness for 150-200 calories ready in 2 min and no chemicals.
    (but that is optional, if you really like chemicals you could add them, it's your choice :laugh: )

Sounds great!
  • Onesnap
    Options

Way to actually substantiate your claims

And good thing maple syrup and homemade ice cream are not chemical stews, oh wait they are...

1. I posted the warnings about the Edy's and Skinny Cow has the same warnings. (check).
    2. I posted one article from the Chicago Tribune (awesome paper, did a wonderful job supporting the reporters in Boston after the Marathon Bombings) about one guy that figured out he had issues with one of the thickeners used in a lot of the low fat/ sugar free ice cream concoctions.
    3. Can you explain to me (or the couple making the maple syrup and the ice cream) how the maple ice cream at a sugar shack in Maine is actually a chemical stew? It's not made in a factory. No chemicals are poured on the trees as they grow and it's made with only a few ingredients? Your logic is skewed.

:drinker:
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I normally use McDonald's ice cream cones and/or hot fudge sundaes to round out the diary if I'm close and don't need much. An ice cream cone is 170 calories, split 24 carbs, 4 fat, 4 protein, so it's a pretty good distribution. And the hot fudge sundae is only about 330 calories is about 330 calories and a slightly better split than that, if you can believe it. It's a nice way to end the day.

And around here, the cone is a buck, and the sundae is about $1.50.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Way to actually substantiate your claims

And good thing maple syrup and homemade ice cream are not chemical stews, oh wait they are...

1. I posted the warnings about the Edy's and Skinny Cow has the same warnings. (check).
    2. I posted one article from the Chicago Tribune (awesome paper, did a wonderful job supporting the reporters in Boston after the Marathon Bombings) about one guy that figured out he had issues with one of the thickeners used in a lot of the low fat/ sugar free ice cream concoctions.
    3. Can you explain to me (or the couple making the maple syrup and the ice cream) how the maple ice cream at a sugar shack in Maine is actually a chemical stew? It's not made in a factory. No chemicals are poured on the trees as they grow and it's made with only a few ingredients? Your logic is skewed.

:drinker:

LOL

1. Warning labels =/= evidence
    2. A lay article that talks about in vitro and animal studies with some anecdotal evidence is not evidence that a compound is unsafe for human consumption
    3. My logic is skewed? How is maple syrup not a chemical stew?

Maple syrup-production, composition, chemistry, and sensory characteristics.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19389608

Chemical Composition and Biological Effects of Maple Syrup
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/bk-2012-1093.ch018

The Chemical Composition of Maple Syrup
    http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ed084p1647
  • Onesnap
    Options
    for those of you looking for more "proof" there was some information on Yahoo health.

Scary Ingredient #9: Carrageenan
    A thickener and emulsifier extracted from seaweed.

Why it's scary: Seaweed is actually good for you, but carrageenan is a mere seaweed byproduct. Through animal studies, it has been linked to cancer, colon trouble, and ulcers. It isn’t certain that carrageenan harms humans, but avoiding it is clearly the safer option. Most studies examined degraded forms of the additive, and research from the University of Iowa found that carrageenan could be degraded through the normal digestive process.

Where you'll find it: Weight Watchers Giant Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Bars, Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches, Creamsicles
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    for those of you looking for more "proof" there was some information on Yahoo health.

Scary Ingredient #9: Carrageenan
    A thickener and emulsifier extracted from seaweed.

Why it's scary: Seaweed is actually good for you, but carrageenan is a mere seaweed byproduct. Through animal studies, it has been linked to cancer, colon trouble, and ulcers. It isn’t certain that carrageenan harms humans, but avoiding it is clearly the safer option. Most studies examined degraded forms of the additive, and research from the University of Iowa found that carrageenan could be degraded through the normal digestive process.

Where you'll find it: Weight Watchers Giant Chocolate Fudge Ice Cream Bars, Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches, Creamsicles

Strong "proof", do you also stay away from chocolate since it contains Theobromine and that is poisonous to dogs in high amounts?
  • _blizzard_
    _blizzard_ Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the responses so I don't know if someone mentioned it but, ARCTIC ZERO!! It's the ****! It's like a frozen protein shake. 37 calories a serving. 150 for the whole pint. And no artificial chemical crap. I personally enjoy the Vanilla Maple flavor. You have to try it!!!!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through all the responses so I don't know if someone mentioned it but, ARCTIC ZERO!! It's the ****! It's like a frozen protein shake. 37 calories a serving. 150 for the whole pint. And no artificial chemical crap. I personally enjoy the Vanilla Maple flavor. You have to try it!!!!

they've also been sued for lying about the calories on the nutrition label.

http://www.topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/2477-second-arctic-zero-class-action-lawsuit-filed-over-calorie-count

i'm not saying i think these suits have merit, just that maybe you shouldn't believe the calorie info.
  • futurehealthfreak
    futurehealthfreak Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love this recipe!

Slice a banana and freeze! Once frozen put it in the blender! Add nut butters, cocoa powder,vanilla extract, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, etc. Whatever you like! It's highly customization and is the perfect ice-cream texture. Sometimes I refreeze it a few minutes before eating but not extremely necessary.
  • jenisinchina
    jenisinchina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you peel and slice perfectly ripe (not over ripe) bananas and freeze them for an hour then throw them in a blender or food processor it makes an amazingly delicious ice cream-like snack. You can add a little cocoa powder for about 20 calories. It's really good!
  • Sdrotty
    Sdrotty Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    maybe this was covered in all the comments, but I love artic zero. to me its basically a frozen protein shake. I don't feel guilty eating it and I think its tastes quite good.