Do you shop at Trader Joe's?

Options

Replies

• kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I eat it with their frozen greek yogurt. Damn tasty.

Edit: meant to quote OP's question of "what do you put the cookie butter on?".
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Almond butter w/roasted flaxseeds
    Pizza dough
    Almond Windmill cookies
    Irish breakfast tea -- cheap there, but still tastes fantatsic
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has great prices on Kerry Gold butter. It's also a decent place to get a pack of chia seeds.

I saw chia seeds, but that was the first time I had ever heard of them. How do you use them?

STEP 1:
    Add 1/4 cup of water to 2 teaspoons of Chia seeds. Stir the mixture after 15 minutes to moisten all seeds, then let it set for 24 hours. This process softens the seed coat and begins the growth cycle of your Chia seeds. In another container, also soak your Chia® planter for 24 hours.

STEP 2:
    Carefully apply the seeds evenly to the grooves of your planter, using your fingers, a small knife, or a spatula. Fill your Chia® to the top with water. Check the water level daily and add additional water whenever necessary. Some leakage in the drip tray is normal. Discard the accumulated water daily.

STEP 3:
    Keep full of water. Moist seeds should sprout in 3-5 days.

STEP 4:
    When the air is dry, it is more challenging to keep the seeds moist enough to sprout properly. To promote germination of the seeds, "tent" a plastic bag over your Chia®. Do not allow the plastic to touch the planter! This will create a greenhouse environment for your Chia®. When most of the seeds have sprouted (about 3 to 4 days), remove the bag and place your Chia® in a sunny location.

STEP 5:
    A small amount of white "fuzz" is normal when your Chia seeds first sprout. This is actually the emergence of "root hairs," and is the second stage of growth for your Chia seeds. "Misting" your Chia® with a spray bottle will give the root hairs a less fuzzy appearance. If the fuzz persists past the first week, it is likely that you have a mildew problem. Your Chia® can still be used. Scrub the seeds off the planter using a brush. Soak your Chia® in a solution of 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon of water for a half hour to remove any mildew residue. Rinse well with clear water and proceed as above. Grows quickly to full coat. Reuse your Chia® indefinitely. Simply replant with Chia® (extra seeds included) or similar herb seeds, such as basil, timothy, alfalfa, marjoram or thyme.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has great prices on Kerry Gold butter. It's also a decent place to get a pack of chia seeds.

I bet their Kerry Gold Butter is not as cheap as Costco?

I buy their 100% cranberry juice. Seems they are the only one that sell 100% CJ

perhaps, but not after you factor in the costco membership price!!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I posted a big old thing about the differences between Aldi and TJ, but realized that no one cares and I'm crowding up an awesome thread. :flowerforyou:

So, I'm replacing it with:

Valrhona chocolate bars
    Honey Sesame almonds (mixed w/ roasted coconut chips for trail mix!)
    Great prices on plain old cheese - cheddar and goat and mozzarella in my house every week
    Milk - their RBST-free milk is only $.70 more expensive per gallon than the cheap stuff at the chain grocery store. WORTH IT!
    Fruit/cereal bars - kids love them for breakfast
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I like it but I get in trouble when I shop there! I spend too much money! I always want to buy snack food there!

My favorites:
    chia seeds
    blueberry oatmeal
    cashew, almond, cranberry trek mix
    mini ice cream cones
    mandarin orange chicken
    Brownie Granola like bars
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

I saw chia seeds, but that was the first time I had ever heard of them. How do you use them?

STEP 1:
    Add 1/4 cup of water to 2 teaspoons of Chia seeds. Stir the mixture after 15 minutes to moisten all seeds, then let it set for 24 hours. This process softens the seed coat and begins the growth cycle of your Chia seeds. In another container, also soak your Chia® planter for 24 hours.

STEP 2:
    Carefully apply the seeds evenly to the grooves of your planter, using your fingers, a small knife, or a spatula. Fill your Chia® to the top with water. Check the water level daily and add additional water whenever necessary. Some leakage in the drip tray is normal. Discard the accumulated water daily.

STEP 3:
    Keep full of water. Moist seeds should sprout in 3-5 days.

STEP 4:
    When the air is dry, it is more challenging to keep the seeds moist enough to sprout properly. To promote germination of the seeds, "tent" a plastic bag over your Chia®. Do not allow the plastic to touch the planter! This will create a greenhouse environment for your Chia®. When most of the seeds have sprouted (about 3 to 4 days), remove the bag and place your Chia® in a sunny location.

STEP 5:
    A small amount of white "fuzz" is normal when your Chia seeds first sprout. This is actually the emergence of "root hairs," and is the second stage of growth for your Chia seeds. "Misting" your Chia® with a spray bottle will give the root hairs a less fuzzy appearance. If the fuzz persists past the first week, it is likely that you have a mildew problem. Your Chia® can still be used. Scrub the seeds off the planter using a brush. Soak your Chia® in a solution of 1 tablespoon bleach to 1 gallon of water for a half hour to remove any mildew residue. Rinse well with clear water and proceed as above. Grows quickly to full coat. Reuse your Chia® indefinitely. Simply replant with Chia® (extra seeds included) or similar herb seeds, such as basil, timothy, alfalfa, marjoram or thyme.

haha are these the directions for chia pets? You can just put chia seeds in your smoothies, yogurt, whatever you want and eat them. If you soak them in liquid they expand in size and make you feel full for longer periods of time
  • Retrieverlove
    Options
    We like the smoked salmon, chocolate cat cookies (for people), which are healthier for you and yummy, whole wheat low carb tortillas only 45 calories (they taste really good and do not fall apart) , spinach sour cream dip, frozen chicken lime chipotle burgers, baked cheese crunchies, all of the dark chocolate covered fruits, black bean dip, Greek yogurts, frozen green beans with potato and mushroom, healthier tortilla chips, and for toiletries they have tea oil astringent pads for cleansing the face that my son loves.
  • TapTap86
    TapTap86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We're getting one built right around the corner from us. It won't be open until July 2014 I believe. I can't wait until it opens!!
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Their turkey or chicken burgers. They also have good 100 calorie chocolate bars.
  • Brutmar
    Brutmar Posts: 85
    Options
    no...the closest one is 100 miles away :(
  • suchastruggle
    suchastruggle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Their little sourdough loaf is WONDERFUL! Good prices on nuts and dried fruits, too.
  • xabcdefgeee
    xabcdefgeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bottled water is really cheap

yes! a 50something ounce bottle is like $0.50 or something. super cheap.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    3 buck chuck, obvi!! :0 :drinker:
  • xabcdefgeee
    xabcdefgeee Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i also love:
    3 seed sesame sourdough bread
    100 cal chocolate bars (that actually taste like chocolate)
    mango and coffee ice cream bars - low calorie and delicious
    pre-packed nuts (cashews & almonds are my fav but i'm always tempted by the giant bag of honey roasted peanuts)
    soy seed rice cracker thingies
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    They have delicious gluten free snickerdoodles. Yum!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    3 buck chuck, obvi!! :0 :drinker:

Ugh. They make so many better wines (under other labels for TJs). Like the organic table wine--it's only $4. And a wine I got yesterday--there's so many--only $6.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes! But only for COOKIE BUTTER! It's super tasty!

Yes, this. Warning though, you're not going to be able to stop yourself from taking a spoon and eating it right from the jar...

There are other ways to eat it?

The cinnamon sugar almonds are so awesome as well.

Ooo, take a spoonful of cookie butter and dip it in the bag of almonds... YES! I'm sporting a temp filling right now, so nothing crunchy, but I'm counting down the days until I get my crown, and I will celebrate with a bag of those almonds.

I love the honey wheat and pumpernickel pretzels. The fruit is dirt cheap and tasty. The nuts are dirt cheap and good. I love the hummuses. I recently tried a jalapeno and cilantro hummus there. I don't really like either of those two things, but it was probably the best hummus I've ever had.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    We don't have Trader Joes (or Whole Foods, for that matter)...I've never even seen one, let alone been in one. The nearest Trader Joe's is 90 minutes away (and it JUST opened). But I am perfectly happy with my Wegman's. :)
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So wish Trader Joe's would come to Canada. For now I have Costco which is pretty good but nothing compared to what the rest of you can get. ~