which is worse, fat or sugar?

Options

Replies

• dcatty94
    dcatty94 Posts: 2
    Options
    BOTH sugar and fat are bad for you in LARGE QUANTITIES. Your body needs both of these nutrients for energy expenditure, but not much. A few pieces of fruit, and some healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, seeds) are all you need. Artificial sugars, added sweeteners, trans fats, and saturated fats are extremely harmful to the body. Don't completely cut them out, but make sure to get the healthier kinds of fats and sugars your body needs.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    SUGAR is much WORSE than Fat

Agree with this statement
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    BOTH sugar and fat are bad for you in LARGE QUANTITIES. Your body needs both of these nutrients for energy expenditure, but not much. A few pieces of fruit, and some healthy fats (olive oil, nuts, seeds) are all you need. Artificial sugars, added sweeteners, trans fats, and saturated fats are extremely harmful to the body. Don't completely cut them out, but make sure to get the healthier kinds of fats and sugars your body needs.

This whole statement reeks of myths.........

Sugar is far worse than fat.

There is nothing unhealthy with Saturated Fats.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Your body also needs sugar for brain function. Your brain cannot run on fat, it MUST have sugar to function.

There is no biological need for sugar and / or Carbs. The body can convert the glucose it needs to function through gluconeogenesis.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    if sugar was your mom and fat was your dad, which side would you choose in a divorce?

Dad for a multitude of reasons.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Your body also needs sugar for brain function. Your brain cannot run on fat, it MUST have sugar to function.

There is no biological need for sugar and / or Carbs. The body can convert the glucose it needs to function through gluconeogenesis.

Please makeup your mind, either there is or isn't a biological need for sugar, since you say there isn't but then says it needs glucose to function. Is glucose not a sugar anymore?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR92hFuALFxB1isgNTn3Boyp9O3sTyxKI2Yr41jUilNv4uY5DtYgA
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yer mom!
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Sugar is worse.

America has this obsession with thinking fat is bad for you. The right kinds of fats are really good for you and your body needs them for brain health among other things. Its trans fats and "fake" fats that are bad for you. I only eat/drink whole fat dairy, lots of coconut oil, olive oil. Refined sugar is bad for you. Natural sugar CAN be good for you, in small amounts, and in fruits.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

There's no dietary need for saturated fat, or monounsaturated fat either. Better start demonizing them too.

And don't forget about the 13 inessential amino acids. And cholesterol, we can't forget that either.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm fat.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

So you'd be perfectly fine with a blood glucose level of 0?

ummm...that would only happen with an overdose of insulin....and then you would die""
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Please makeup your mind, either there is or isn't a biological need for sugar, since you say there isn't but then says it needs glucose to function. Is glucose not a sugar anymore?

I blame these big dumb brain of our constantly demanding sugar! You know what I say screw you brain! So I remain in ketosis I'm a little foggy and feel a bit weak but I'm not gonna let my brain get the best of me.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Neither. They're both delicious and required.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

This whole statement reeks of myths.........

Sugar is far worse than fat.

There is nothing unhealthy with Saturated Fats.

Nothing wrong with sugar either.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The only redeeming value from these threads is that my ignore list grows and future useless debate threads are easier to read :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    What's with all the random thread necros?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    "Your body doesn't need sugar for anything"

So who is twisting words, what does that mean exactly, either your body does or does not need sugar.

Given that we're discussing dietary choices, and whether one should intake fat or sugar, a reasonable person would be willing to assume that she was referring to your body not needing external sugar intake, not that your body doesn't require sugar for biological processes.

Or we can be pedantic and just try to play semantic gotcha.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    The only redeeming value from these threads is that my ignore list grows and future useless debate threads are easier to read :)

Thank you for pointing out that ignoring people was possible on this site! That makes this way easier.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    So I am always over on my sugar and I have been trying to work on it. Today I noticed that my protein shake that I love has no sugar but has like 6 grams of fat, and the greek yogurt I like is fat free but has 17 grams of sugar. I just wondered what you guys think, I'm not sure which is worse.

Fat is not bad, I have it set as my highest macro number :) Sugar is not bad either, in moderation.