Online dating. WTH!

Options

Replies

• AmyJeanMarie84
    AmyJeanMarie84 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Ugggg

I'm in the middle of telling someone the level of clingy-ness they are exhibiting after a few times chatting is a huge red flag and that it's never going to happen.

Unfortunately so far NOT so good. I'm going to need a diagram I'm afraid.

Lmao No way I just deleted my pof cause some dude started calling me angel and baby, and messaging me every hour asking where I was. Oi crazies be after us.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you're going on a dating site, you're doing it wrong. Theres a reason those people need a dating site to land a date or try to find what they're looking for..
    I met my boyfriend on a video game forum (young nerds in love, aww), we were best friends for 3 years and never saw eachothers face, he lived in California and I in Washington.. He had family up here and we met up while he was visiting.. and thats how we hit it off.
    Oh, and then he joined the air force and is now stationed in Georgia! :grumble:

But its all good, I just spent 3 weeks down there with him and we went to Universal Studios and all sorts of fun places. Long Distance is ok with me because I enjoy my independence and alone time. But I understand its not for everyone.

Honestly, I say select a hobby you like and find a forum with people who share the same interests as you.. I know some people here on MFP that have gotten married / are dating eachother.. Usually when you're not looking is when they pop up.

I found my boyfriend through a video game, wasn't looking, and we hit it off instantly :) Together almost 4 years now, and marriage is definitely in our future :heart:
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    utter rot. i've met fantastic men on dating sites. charming, intelligent and attractive.

So which dating site did we meet? haha
  • carieforester
    carieforester Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I am attempting the online dating thing too. Its awful. I get tons of messages asking things like have I ever been tied up....woudl I want to be his sugar mamma....am I interested in a lunch time quickie.

Then if I do actually get a message that is written in a way that makes the person sound educated, i.e. How are you? vs how r u, and we click and chose to meet....they show up being 50+ pounds heavier than what they said. That is annoying. Why not just be honest about who you are up front? It will save time in the long run.

I list myself as average. I have 2 full body pictures listed along with a couple face shots. I think I am fun person but like it has been mentioned here, I am not a great writer so my profile probably isnt all that great. I am just me from the get go though. In the end they are going to like me for me or they wont.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    by the way, what is wrong with someone being upfront about "actively seeking a relationship"?

I guess I just look at it as if it happens, it happens.

And actively seeking a relationship tells me you are going to try and force the issue and/or try to move things more quickly than they should move.

When I was online dating (I'm not anymore...too many weirdos)...I put "actively seeking a relationship" because that is what I want. It doesn't mean (in my case) that I'm going to "force the issue" or become crazy stalker lady. It means what it says. I want a real relationship. The good, the bad. the ups and the downs. If I decide to meet someone and there is no click or spark or chemistry....then I say so and move on. Some men are disappointed and others feel the same way. We thank each other for taking the time to meet and go our separate ways.

Honesty and maturity need to be a priority when you are dating...online or otherwise.
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I guess my issue is that it would suck to get to know someone via talking, actually like them, then meet them and not be attracted to them AT ALL.

So what's more important to you? If you get to know someone and love what that person is about, you wouldn't be with them because of the weight? :indifferent: Which is something a person can always change, a persons persona in many cases will never change.. ( my opinion )..

Would you rather a sexy female :love: with a nasty attitude. :grumble: :angry: :explode: Or a slightly overweight female with a great character. :happy: :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If you're going on a dating site, you're doing it wrong. Theres a reason those people need a dating site to land a date or try to find what they're looking for..
    I met my boyfriend on a video game forum (young nerds in love, aww), we were best friends for 3 years and never saw eachothers face, he lived in California and I in Washington.. He had family up here and we met up while he was visiting.. and thats how we hit it off.

But its all good, I just spent 3 weeks down there with him and we went to Universal Studios and all sorts of fun places. Long Distance is ok with me because I enjoy my independence and alone time. But I understand its not for everyone.

Honestly, I say select a hobby you like and find a forum with people who share the same interests as you.. I know some people here on MFP that have gotten married / are dating eachother.. Usually when you're not looking is when they pop up.
    So ... You're a loser if you meet through a dating sight, but not if you meet through an online video game.

Are you actually serious with this post?
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    utter rot. i've met fantastic men on dating sites. charming, intelligent and attractive.

So which dating site did we meet? haha
    you don't remember? :cry:
  • glovepuppet
    Options

So ... You're a loser if you meet through a dating sight, but not if you meet through an online video game.

are you saying that spending 3 hours straight pretending to be a warlock isn't cooler than checking messages & profiles between work, study & housework?
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I met my BF on here. We've been dating 2 years and 3 months now. Not really "online dating" but we definitely met online. We still have MFP in common. We also both started logging in daily at the same totally coincidental time. I think we hit 905 days of logging today.

:happy: good luck! Someone great will come along eventually!
  • rml_16
    Options

are you saying that spending 3 hours straight pretending to be a warlock isn't cooler than checking messages & profiles between work, study & housework?
    Touche. ;-)
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options

If nothing else, hours playing a game together means you have common interests.. Same theory with meeting someone on MFP or a hobby site / forum.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

I didn't read it as she was saying people on saying sites are losers. I understood from her post she is suggesting that people meet people on common ground of interest to make things easier. If you like video games join a video gaming community and be active on the forums and you might meet someone who already shares your interest in video games.

She was giving video games as an example because it worked for her. And went on to give MFP as another example of people meeting.

I guess I look at things from a positive perspective and assuming the best intentions.
  • vtmoon
    Options

Touche. ;-)

For someone who is anti shaming, isn't this nerd-shaming? :tongue:
  • rml_16
    Options

I didn't read it as she was saying people on saying sites are losers. I understood from her post she is suggesting that people meet people on common ground of interest to make things easier. If you like video games join a video gaming community and be active on the forums and you might meet someone who already shares your interest in video games.

She was giving video games as an example because it worked for her. And went on to give MFP as another example of people meeting.

I guess I look at things from a positive perspective and assuming the best intentions.

First two sentences of her post: If you're going on a dating site, you're doing it wrong. Theres a reason those people need a dating site to land a date or try to find what they're looking for..
  • rml_16
    Options

Touche. ;-)

Nah. I actually don't care or think she's a loser for it. People meet in all sorts of ways. I just thought it was a bit ... ironic that she criticized people going on dating sites and then followed with that story.
  • vtmoon
    Options

First two sentences of her post: If you're going on a dating site, you're doing it wrong. Theres a reason those people need a dating site to land a date or try to find what they're looking for..

Just cause someone is doing something wrong it doesn't make them a loser...

I don't know what she meant 100%, but I read as her saying they need the website cause they don't have other means to meet people, like hobbies, or mutual friends with single friends, or other social interactions that make it easy to meet possible compatible people. But not because they are losers...
  • rml_16
    Options
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.
  • vtmoon
    Options
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

fair enough.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

Touche. ;-)

i'm way nerdier than that!