Why we need GMO

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    This goes beyond GMO. Monsanto is killing off our farmers and dominating an industry that can't survive under these conditions. Watch Food Inc.
    You are aware that Food Inc is an incredibly biased documentary, that only showed one side of the story, and completely buried the other side, right?
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You forgot why we REALLY need GMOs. CUZ THEY'RE TASTY!

I want my GMO salmon! Only I want them further modified so they come with omega 3s.

AP_GE_Salmon.jpg
    What that, no omega 3zzzz in salmon.......................what's mother nature doing to us. Warning Will Robinson, warning!

Actually most farmed salmon doesn't have omega 3s. Most of the omega 3s come from the algae, but most farmed salmon are not fed omega 3 containing foods. They are often fed grain instead. :(
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the hogwash monsanto

:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, what's that, you have an unprecedented and powerful new technology with potential for great benefit or great harm?

This is why I try to avoid GMO food. It is still too new and long-term effects have not been fully tested.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, what's that, you have an unprecedented and powerful new technology with potential for great benefit or great harm?

This is why I try to avoid GMO food. It is still too new and long-term effects have not been fully tested.

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2013/06/17/the-organic-hepatitis-outbreak-we-need-organic-field-testing/
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,928 Member
    Options
    You forgot why we REALLY need GMOs. CUZ THEY'RE TASTY!

I want my GMO salmon! Only I want them further modified so they come with omega 3s.

AP_GE_Salmon.jpg
    What that, no omega 3zzzz in salmon.......................what's mother nature doing to us. Warning Will Robinson, warning!

Actually most farmed salmon doesn't have omega 3s. Most of the omega 3s come from the algae, but most farmed salmon are not fed omega 3 containing foods. They are often fed grain instead. :(
    Actually farmed salmon has more omega 3's, at least through my research, but I would suspect some don't. Wild salmon or similar has all the omega's we would need if we eat a few portions a week.

http://www.cleanfish.com/
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ grants GMO juggernaut Monsanto full immunity from federal courts in the event that one of its genetically modified creations is found to be causing damage to health or the environment. Essentially, it grants Monsanto power over the United States federal government... sounds totally legit to me, you know the power to have full immunity because your crops are so safe. I am no scientist but does this not seem slightly nefarious.

Where's a 'like' button when you need one? :drinker:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I don't pretend to know the science thoroughly enough to debate it but here are some things to consider that are self explanatory

Concerns about the social and ethical issues surrounding genetic modification include:

The possible monopolisation of the world food market by large multinational companies that control the distribution of GM seeds
    Concerns related to using genes from animals in plant foods. For example, eating traces of genetic material from pork is problematic for certain religious and cultural groups
    Animal welfare could be adversely affected. For example, cows given more potent GM growth hormones could suffer from health problems related to growth or metabolism
    New GM organisms could be patented so that life itself could become commercial property.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    ‘Monsanto Protection Act’ grants GMO juggernaut Monsanto full immunity from federal courts in the event that one of its genetically modified creations is found to be causing damage to health or the environment. Essentially, it grants Monsanto power over the United States federal government... sounds totally legit to me, you know the power to have full immunity because your crops are so safe. I am no scientist but does this not seem slightly nefarious.

Don't for get that Monsanto executives have key roles in govt as well.....helps to make sure they get that immunity.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    38856853.jpg
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Is it too much to ask for full disclosure and label foods that contain GMO, apparently it is, at least in NA where 90% of GMO takes place. Just label the frikken food and let people make their own decisions on what they want to eat.
    I agree. Labeling makes sense. People can decide whether they want to pay for $1 GMO corn or $2 natural one.

While genetic modification won't single handedly eliminate world hunger, it's one arsenal in the toolbox. There is no dispute that GMO crop is more economical (otherwise farmers won't use it), so at the very least it would make food a bit cheaper to buy.

While there is no long term proof of the safety of consuming GMO crop, there's no proof of its danger either. While we shouldn't rush headlong into accepting GMO crop, to declare it as dangerous on principle is just as foolish.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Before this thread goes to hell... I agree with you, OP. People do not seem to realize that even good ol' artificial selection produces some pretty "unnatural" things, too.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This goes beyond GMO. Monsanto is killing off our farmers and dominating an industry that can't survive under these conditions. Watch Food Inc.

Yes, yes! Blindly watch Food Inc, and be drawn in to their biased world. Forks Over Knives is a good one too. Also, George Bush actually flew the planes into the Twin Towers and Obama dropped the 2nd backpack at the Boston Marathon. Oh, and he orchestrated the Newtown Massacre to get us on his side for gun control. I saw it on YouTube.

Shhh, don't say this stuff out loud! They'll know you know the truth and THEY'RE COMING TO GET YOU!!! After all, if it's on the world wide webz or even a video it must be true :-)

ETA: I fully agree with the idea of labeling this stuff. Let us make up our own minds about it, we're all critical-thinking adults (or should be). If the foods are labeled and we still choose to consume it, then hey, consequences are on us and we're the fools. If they're labeled and we choose not to consume them when it turns out they were the best thing for us, then hey, still shame on us. Hindsight's always 20/20, our great-grandkids will find out someday whether we were right or wrong with this
  • geekgirl_2012
    geekgirl_2012 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If there's nothing to fear, then why can't we just label the food? Plain and simple. Allow me to decide what I eat and feed my family. The food needs to be labelled.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    If there's nothing to fear, then why can't we just label the food? Plain and simple. Allow me to decide what I eat and feed my family. The food needs to be labelled.

Agreed.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I don't pretend to know the science thoroughly enough to debate it but here are some things to consider that are self explanatory

Concerns about the social and ethical issues surrounding genetic modification include:

The possible monopolisation of the world food market by large multinational companies that control the distribution of GM seeds
    Concerns related to using genes from animals in plant foods. For example, eating traces of genetic material from pork is problematic for certain religious and cultural groups
    Animal welfare could be adversely affected. For example, cows given more potent GM growth hormones could suffer from health problems related to growth or metabolism
    New GM organisms could be patented so that life itself could become commercial property.

A patent is put in place to protect inventors and give them time to recoup their investments. All patents eventually expire, so eventually any invention becomes available to the world.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Agreed! We have more than enough food. The issue is our method of distribution and how we choose who should and could eat it. Our very lives will depend on how we allocate our resources. If we keep putting scientific experimentation where it doesn't belong,we will continue to see a decline in health as a whole. The further we get from natural growth patterns, the more we will see this. Plant, water, fertilize, grow, pick and eat. I personally don't see a reason to go into the genetics of any given food to 'enhance' it or change it in any way. I just believe its bad for business if true health is your intention. But to each their own. I try to avoid GMO's as much as possible for myself and my family. I don't eat seedless fruit either. There is just something weird about modified foods... I don't believe that big business has my health in mind. they crave my dependency and my adherence. So far, so good. But change has to start soon.
    Absolutely spot on with this comment. Lets be clear as well, there is NOT a lack of food in the world, what there IS is a great deal of profiteering involved in the distribution and pricing of food.
    the concept of GMO is fine, although it's worth noting that different populations have different needs (for example, those in 'Western' or certainly the US societies) do not suffer from deficiencies in Vitamin A

We have been carrying out a form of GMO for thousands of years, by selective breeding - read Michael Pollan's 'The Botany of Desire' for an interesting take on it.

What I, and many others have an issue with is not the idea of GMO but the WAY in which it is practiced. GMO seeds are for the most part non-heritage seeds, which means that farmers cannot lay a stock of seeds for planting next season, and have to purchase more, giving profit to the organisation that created them. Granted, this allows the seeds to remain pure (and not-crossbreed as I am sure the plants themselves will attempt to do given the way evolution works....), and it also allows the GMO organisation to remain in business -after all, a business model that simply gives away its inventions isn't much of a business model (aside from people like Trevor Bayliss that is...)

GMO is NOT a cure for World Hunger. It is a way of creating more resistant crops, fighting diseases and generally attempting to mount a defence against what could be argued the natural order of things. It is necessarily a profit-making industry, but it is some of the bullish tactics that many people find offensive.

In order to feed the world's population we need to adjust our farming practices. Whether GMO is the way to do this I am not convinced, however money will only be invested in solutions where there is a real chance of a financial return.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Actually there are people who question the use of GM Insulin and the possibility that it causes other problems for diabetics, such as increased hypoglycemia unawareness. I'm not saying that GM Insulin isn't good for some people, but that doesn't mean it is good for all diabetics. If there's no negative aspect to GMO's then disclose what is being sold, label it and let people decide whether they want to consume it or not.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Agreed. The fact that there is so much debate is a cause for my attention and concern. I mean, anyone knows that if you have nothing to hide, there's no need to be so secretive. ESPECIALLY when dealing with things we will accept into our bodies and those of our children.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Agreed! We have more than enough food. The issue is our method of distribution and how we choose who should and could eat it. Our very lives will depend on how we allocate our resources. If we keep putting scientific experimentation where it doesn't belong,we will continue to see a decline in health as a whole. The further we get from natural growth patterns, the more we will see this. Plant, water, fertilize, grow, pick and eat. I personally don't see a reason to go into the genetics of any given food to 'enhance' it or change it in any way. I just believe its bad for business if true health is your intention. But to each their own. I try to avoid GMO's as much as possible for myself and my family. I don't eat seedless fruit either. There is just something weird about modified foods... I don't believe that big business has my health in mind. they crave my dependency and my adherence. So far, so good. But change has to start soon.

Maybe we do, but they don't:

pop-1a.jpg

The world's population growth is currently on a trajectory where we will soon not be able to sustain everyone's food needs using traditional agriculture. In case you haven't noticed, problems in other parts of the world have a way of coming back around and biting the West in the *kitten*. I don't mind eating some meat substitutes and GMO yams if it means everyone else gets some, too.
This discussion has been closed.