Your most humiliating "fat" experience.

Options

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    OH, thought of a third!

I used to be the only female in an office of 12 guys. One of them told me 'if you lost two stone, then I'd bang you.'

I've since left that job, but made sure he got the message when I had lost that two stone, with my middle finger raised.
  • JessicaJoanJarvis
    JessicaJoanJarvis Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    OH, thought of a third!

I used to be the only female in an office of 12 guys. One of them told me 'if you lost two stone, then I'd bang you.'

I've since left that job, but made sure he got the message when I had lost that two stone, with my middle finger raised.

THIS!!!! :wink: :heart:
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    - Guys chanting "cookie, cookie" behind me while I ran in gym class, or just calling me cookie in general (I've never had a cavity btw. I'm not that fond of sweets, which is probably why it bothered me so much).

- When I worked at a fast food restaurant and some old woman came in with her grandchildren. They were being rude because their order was wrong, when I didn't even cook the food and worked front-line. I went to clean the lobby and this fantastic grandmother (probably their mother, but she really did look too old to be their mom), and they trashed the lobby and she let her kids scribble 'fatass' on like 10 comment cards.

Those are about the worst of it. Considering I've been very obese my entire life, that's not too bad. I think I've learned to avoid things like carnivals, wobbly chairs, and other dreaded 'fat situations' pretty well, it helps that I'm a hermit and avoid people because of it! But ironically, all of this happened at much lower weights. Seems like the bigger I am, the more I'm left alone.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    - Guys chanting "cookie, cookie" behind me while I ran in gym class, or just calling me cookie in general (I've never had a cavity btw. I'm not that fond of sweets, which is probably why it bothered me so much).

- When I worked at a fast food restaurant and some old hag came in with her grandchildren. They were being rude because their order was wrong, when I didn't even cook the food and worked front-line. I went to clean the lobby and this great grandmother (probably their mother, but she really did look OLD), and they trashed the lobby and she let her kids scribble 'fatass' on like 10 comment cards.

Those are about the worst of it. Considering I've been very obese my entire life, that's not too bad. I think I've learned to avoid things like carnivals, wobbly chairs, and other dreaded 'fat situations' pretty well, it helps that I'm a hermit and avoid people because of it! But ironically, all of this happened at much lower weights. Seems like the bigger I am, the more I'm left alone.

Back when I was working fast food, I was not in a good place. I cringe to think of how I would've responded to those people.
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options

- When I worked at a fast food restaurant and some old hag came in with her grandchildren. They were being rude because their order was wrong, when I didn't even cook the food and worked front-line. I went to clean the lobby and this great grandmother (probably their mother, but she really did look OLD), and they trashed the lobby and she let her kids scribble 'fatass' on like 10 comment cards.

Back when I was working fast food, I was not in a good place. I cringe to think of how I would've responded to those people.

I edited my post because I realized I was speaking from a place of anger. 6 years later and it's still very hurtful!

The thing is, I was very nice to them, smiling and everything. I even went and found my manager to give her the cheeseburger for free since the lady said the cook made it sloppy. I didn't realized they trashed the lobby (the cards, and an entire salt shaker spilled all over) until after they had left!
  • sophiegrace543
    sophiegrace543 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I can think of a few but the one that probably upset me the most was a comment from a 'friend'. Most people I've known throughout my life, including at school, have been polite about my weight, despite the fact that I've never been particularly skinny so I consider myself very lucky.
    I remember once talking to some friends just about the kind of things we normally eat (I can't remember why: I think one friend brought up the topic because she was wanting some new recipes). We weren't talking about it in terms of weight loss or anything, just in general. At this point, I'd been properly trying to lose weight for a few months. After I told them about how I ate a lot of lean meat, vegetables, salads, berries etc., one girl who was born with an incredible metabolism and is naturally extremely skinny, despite the fact that she seems to eat a lot of crap said to me, 'Oh I feel really sorry for you now..." "Erm, why?!" "Because you eat really healthily but you're still...you know...." and she trailed off but just looked me up and down, making it clear that the word she was thinking of was "FAT". That really motivated me to lose weight if I'm honest and it also showed me her true personality. I don't like to associate with people who say such obnoxious things like that and I only now have TRUE and POSITIVE friends around. It hurt at the time, especially seeing as it was one of the only bad things that someone who I really knew had ever said about my weight, but I guess it was good in the long run.
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    1. I was on vacation with my husband and friends and one group(in their 50's) oinked at me.
    2. a kid pointed at me and called me fat
    3. lady advised me not to take a water pill whilst she put her hand on my belly and said "because dear, you're pregnant"

off all these things, for some reason the 1st one really hurt me and ruined most of that day...which sucked because we were in italy only for 4 days!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    1. I was on vacation with my husband and friends and one group(in their 50's) oinked at me.
    2. a kid pointed at me and called me fat
    3. lady advised me not to take a water pill whilst she put her hand on my belly and said "because dear, you're pregnant"

off all these things, for some reason the 1st one really hurt me and ruined most of that day...which sucked because we were in italy only for 4 days!

The first one would hurt the most for me too. Here you are, on VACATION, and these idiots, probably also on vacation, have the audacity say such horrible things to you? You had every right to enjoy your vacation, and they ruined that experience for you to get a chuckle for themselves. Screw them. I feel sorry for the people in their lives. They must be awful people.
  • deeann7769
    deeann7769 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was at work, and some smarmy little brat was messing up, so I reprimanded him. As he walked away after his butt chewing, he mumbled "fupa (w)itch" under his breath. I was too ashamed of the comment to tell his supervisor and get him in real trouble, but I did wing a large wrench at his head. Missed the little asshat that time.

40 pounds lost later, he was drunk and tried to hit on me while TDY. Thankfully he was drunk enough that he has no memory of why he woke up scratched up and bruised. He might have gotten rolled down a hill by some male friends of mine. Or not. I'll never confirm a thing :devil:
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I can't pick just one!

* I think I was about 10 when my dad smiled and playfully said "You're getting a belly!"

* When I was in 7th or 8th grade (age 12-13ish?) I was at the PUBLIC POOL with my "best friend" at the time. I got out of the water and she said "YOU HAVE THUNDER THIGHS!!!" and was cracking up laughing. Don't ask me why we remained friends. She was my "best friend" yet biggest bully at the same time. Possibly why I continue to enable love/hate relationships to this day.

* Around 7 years ago I was babysitting this kid who was probably about 5 years old at the time. His father is a doctor. One day we were sitting on the floor in the living room and he said "you have a yellow ring around your belly?" Confused, I looked down and said "What do you mean?" He said "My dad is a doctor and he says that fat people have yellow rings of fat around their belly". He was talking about actual fat. :noway: Granted, he was a little kid, but I would have NEVER said anything like that even when I was that age. I've seen my 2nd cousin say "you're fat!" to my aunt also. I would be mortified if my kid ever said that to anyone.
  • JenM76
    JenM76 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I used to be 320 pounds before gastric bypass 7 years ago. So, my two worst moments were my two "Aha" moments that made it totally clear I had to do something, so I got the surgery.

I was on the floor, next to the tub, giving my son (then 4) a bath. We were done, I got him out, dried off, and dressed for bed. I went to get up to put him to bed, and I could not get up. I pulled on the edge of the tub, nothing. I pushed and pushed on the floor, nothing. I had to roll over like a beached whale to push from that angle. It took a few tries for me to actually get up. That scared me. I seriously thought it was time for the heavy machinery to come in and get me off the floor.

Similarly, I was taking a bath (around the same time as the one above). I went to get out, and could not lift myself. I even rolled over and could get enough strength to push myself out of the tub. That, and I guess I created enough suction with the water that I couldn't break free. So, I let the water out and sat there and waited for the tub to drain. I was finally able to push myself up. Again, I thought for sure they were going to have to bring in heavy machinery to get me out.

I went the next week for my consult for surgery. 7 years out, 130 pounds lost. :)
  • eftupa
    eftupa Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't wait until a certain wait to do anything-- do it now. Especially when it comes to leaving an abusive partner. Big can be beautiful. He just can't see it. This journey should be about health. screw the fat-haters!!!
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    My story might not be a bad one to most... but it has stuck with me forever.

I was in middle school, walking up the stairs and the guy in front of me was talking to a friend "All the fat girls in this school are *****e$, well all of them except Amber"..... I was dumbfounded. I tapped the guy on the shoulder and said "Hey man, I appreciate that! Say it again and you'll find out just how much of a B I can be"... ummm yay for not being a B*tch??? :blushing:
  • BflSabrefan
    Options
    You know it's easy to blame your partners comment, but really at the end of the day you need to know the truth. He was just being honest, like my wife had a bad breath problem but I would never say anything cause I didn't want to hurt her feelings. It ended up she had a much more serious problem which is now fixed but she almost died. My wife was honest with me and said "your way to fat and your going to died and leave your wife and 4 kids without a father!! do something now. I was 189 kg in Jan 2013 I am now about 145 kgs I,m 6 ft 6 so I,m a big guy, do it for your kids or your partner if you have no kids. The point is it hurt but it's saving my life and it hurts every time she pulls me up and says don't eat that!! LOL.

If he didn't care he would have just said nothing, but he want's you to look and feel great.

He called her disgusting. She is 5'3 and 145lbs. Are you crazy?
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    All I can think is, you married this man why?

this
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Exactly! There is nothing worse than skewering people at the gym! I wonder if some of these nasty people think there is some magic wand a person can wave to make the weight just fall off. I worked in a gym for a while, and I was amazed at the people who would make those comments about others. An obese or overweight person at the gym should never be criticized for being there.

that's the exact reason a lot of overweight people avoid the gym. Me? I just don't care. I'm not doing this for 'them' I'm doing this for me.
  • BflSabrefan
    Options
    Two things spring to mind.

1. I was at a festival and someone rudely bumped into me, so I did the whole sarcastic 'excuse me' thing loudly, and this little pr*ck turned around to me, laughed, and called me a fat slag. For someone to see that as my defining characteristic really hit me hard and I swore if I ever got into a slanging match with a stranger again they definitely wouldn't be able to call me fat!

2. My now partner and I got together through an affair and her ex was built like an athlete and was very, very sporty. When her ex found out that me and her partner (my now partner) were sleeping together, apparently the biggest thing she couldn't understand was why her girlfriend would look twice at me. She was so disgusted that someone could sleep with someone like me (fat). I decided that after I got her girl, I would make sure she couldn't say anything like that about me again!!

on your second post, you were the "other woman" be glad the worst thing she called you was fat.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My last name is Lynch... I was known as Jessica Lunch through most of school :grumble:
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I've had so many.... people are cruel.

I had one a few months ago...while out running I got yelled at by a passing car. "Keep Running Fat *kitten*" I still feel horrible inside when I think about this situation.

Precisely why I don't run outside. In my warped mind, I think "They might not say it but they'll definitely think it" :embarassed:
  • dhaemon
    dhaemon Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Tore the *kitten* out of my pants on the way to my convocation!
    Luckily I was still in the driveway and I had another pair of pants to get on

+ I have fall safety training coming up in September and the weight limit is 380 lbs. I was 440 at the time...
    5 weeks and 37 lbs later, I'm getting there :)