The Side of Weight Loss No One Talks About

Replies

• determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Starting to see and feel my bones is uncomfortable and feels different. When I lay on my side, my hip bone sticks out and actually hurts! I am really not used to it.
  • LisaInUP
    LisaInUP Posts: 63 Member
    I am kinda old, but still I didn't think this would happen to me because I wasn't that fat-- This morning I notice that the slab of fat that was covering my abdomen is less, but now the skin is unpleasantly wrinkled and I don't think that will go away. So my bikini years are over, even if I get to my goal weight. :cry:
    and the "bat wings" *sigh*
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Being afraid to buy new clothes that fit because in a few months they won't fit so nicely. I hate to waste money, but I also hate looking homeless when I wear my worn out, three-sizes-too-big clothes.
    This exactly. I also don't throw away clothes up to two sizes larger simply because I'm afraid I'll get back to that point and don't want to have to re-buy them again! I have three closets.... /facepalm
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    I've discovered that you can get addicted to the feeling of success when you lose weight. So when you get to a weight where you shouldn't lose any more weight, it can be hard to stop wanting to do it. At first I felt skinny, but after a while I started feeling fat again, even though my measurements were all the same.

OMG. I'm there. And I had no idea it was normal. Thank you.
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    The emotional side effects that come when you stop allowing yourself to eat as a coping mechanism.... Unpleasant feelings and issues come out And you have to face them

OMG - YES!! I went through a terrible depression when I began my journey, couldn't figure out why or find any info about it on the internet. Then I was watching The Biggest Loser and they were all crying about stuff...and a lightbulb went off. Once I understood why I was feeling so sad, it made it easier. But it still took a little longer to get through it.
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Bump
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    TONS of things! My worst problem was boob sag. Ended up getting a lift. Also, being colder in the winter and the *kitten* hurts from sitting too long without all the padding. I'm not complaining though. I'd take any of these over obesity.
  • mjharman
    Being afraid to buy new clothes that fit because in a few months they won't fit so nicely. I hate to waste money, but I also hate looking homeless when I wear my worn out, three-sizes-too-big clothes.
    This exactly. I also don't throw away clothes up to two sizes larger simply because I'm afraid I'll get back to that point and don't want to have to re-buy them again! I have three closets.... /facepalm

I'm there, too! I'm thinking I'll have to start shopping at thrift stores and the Goodwill...(sigh!)
    However, I refuse to hold onto the big clothes...I am never going back there!
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    I've discovered that you can get addicted to the feeling of success when you lose weight. So when you get to a weight where you shouldn't lose any more weight, it can be hard to stop wanting to do it. At first I felt skinny, but after a while I started feeling fat again, even though my measurements were all the same.

I can totally relate to this. I reached my goal weight but have lost another ten pounds. Which is fine, but I'm having trouble adding calories back into my diet because I'm so paranoid about gaining. Sure don't need to lose any more weight, though.

I also have the wrinkly skin problem. I'm 62, so at my age I probably can't recover much elasticity (and the triceps - fuhgeddaboutit!) Still, it's better to be thin! And I'm lifting weights to try to recover what I can.

I went from busting out of a size 14 to size 6 is sometimes too big, and wasted a lot of money on interim sizes because I didn't stay that size very long.
  • boricua3177
    boricua3177 Posts: 192 Member
    My husband is not a healthy eater & refuses to eat healthy foods. He likes the processed stuff. So now I am cooking 2 separate meals....one for my toddler & myself, another for my unhealthy husband. He also doesn't have any weight problems what so ever, this is why he believes he doesn't need to eat healthy. Sigh....this is an everyday challenge.
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    How extremely infuriating it is that EVERYBODY has something to say about you losing weight or eating differently than they do.
  • mjharman
    Not mine, but the belief that you can completely change your body shape through weight loss and exercise and that everyone who works hard will end up looking like a fitness model. The idea that your fat distribution pattern and goals have no bearing on how you work out, especially if you are close to your goal.

huh?

The misguided belief that my booty butt will transform it's self into a perky gym bunny butt because I'm doing squats, when in fact I had booty before I started losing weight, I have it now, and I will always have a big @ss.
    Thanks. That's what I meant. Not that what you're doing isn't great for your body and overall sense of well-being. But exercise does not bring about miracles.

Is this basically like when people say "I'm fat. You're ugly. At least I can diet!"

What point exactly are you trying to make? That people should dwell on their negative qualities and embrace the idea that they will always suck? :ohwell:

^This...and I hope the answer is no and people try to learn how to think more positively...especially about themselves.

I don't think it's an issue of dwelling on negative qualities or learning to think more positively, but more of learning to embrace reality. None of us are identical, and even on the exact same diet with the exact same exercises we wouldn't come out looking the same.

I think we will all have issues with our bodies, no matter how much we diet or workout. The point is always to be the best person you can be...whether that is by working on your body or working on your inner beauty. We are who we are, as God intended us to be, and we are beautiful. We were beautiful before we began this journey, we are beautiful today, at this point in our journey, and we will be beautiful tomorrow, when we reach our goals.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Bump
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    my biggest issue is dealing with being "Mentally fat", Its so much more than just needing to lose weight but also a personal journey. I started in 2010 and i am still trying to emotionally deal with everything. One day at a time is my motto!

This, this, and THIS AGAIN.

Also... I'm getting over it now, it took me some time, but I am mentally coming to terms with the fact that I am no longer the fat *kitten* I used to be! You'll get there, if you don't over-analyse it. Trust me! Good luck!
  • I know what you mean about no one talking about how heavy you are until you start to lose the weight. Last week, I went to a doctor appointment with my husband. HIS doctor walked in, looked at me, and said "Hey, you look like you're losing weight!" I didn't know whether to be pleased that he noticed or horrified that he obviously thought I was fat before!
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132

That's my dilemna at work!!! None of my work pants fit properly & I feel like trash not wearing cute outfits, but until I'm completely done losing weight, Goodwill & Wal-Mart is the route for me...almost all my work pants are tents on me.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Well, people HERE talk about it all the time, but before mfp I had NEVER heard about the concept of eating more to fuel your body...I only wisssssssssh that I knew then what I know now! I've made sure to spread the word as much as possible. You'd be surprized at some of those, "you must be bullsheeting me" looks that I get! :laugh:
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Suddenly cuddles are not as easy as they used to be. Bones poking the other person, them squashing you.

One of the things I hate at the moment is EVERYTHING CLICKS. You can hear me coming from a mile away (not in the rude sense).
  • dpiercey75
    dpiercey75 Posts: 8 Member

I totally feel the same way... you lose the weight and there are the occasional glances in the mirror where you don't recognize that slimmer person. You don't forget where you started, but you don't identify with the heavier person that you were as much anymore. You start to feel more comfortable in your smaller self... and then the bizarre happens... you start feeling fat again. Your measurements are roughly the same, and you don't see the big you in the mirror anymore, but you still see a bigger person. You feel "fat" again, terrified that you're going to gain it back. It's a terrible, emotional, and daily struggle.
  • pinkledoodledoo
    pinkledoodledoo Posts: 290 Member
    Another experience I had – and this could just be my experience and not happen to everyone – was that, while nobody talked about my weight when I was at my heaviest, once I started losing the flood gates opened and nearly everyone suddenly thought it was ok to comment on my weight. I didn't really mind, none of it was negative and I have always been happy to share my experiences and encourage others to do what makes them happy, but it did sort of become the only thing people would talk about and there is more to me.

THIS THIS THIS 1000000%. When you're constantly on (and off) of diets it seems like your weight and weight loss becomes the only topic of conversation that people will acknowledge in your presence. As if you are nothing more than your diet successes and failures. It's infuriating because whenever you regain weight you KNOW these same people are silently sitting back & judging you for not doing what you did before to make them comment positively. Ask me about the weather, football, my job, my family... Anything but my diet. The last thing I want to think about at a family gathering is whether or not I'm fatter than I was at the last one!