Strange weight loss comments...

Replies

• My little sister was getting rid of some clothes and she had a men's size small tshirt that I asked if I could keep because i like it and it would be awesome to be able to have it as an inspiration item. (currently in a tightish size medium at 185 lbs with goal of 130-140)

my boyfriend's response: "if you get to the point where you can comfortably wear a small tshirt, i probably wont be attracted to you anymore. that would be too skinny."

well then i guess ill find someone who is attracted to me??

If he can't love you for who you are on the inside then yes, you will find someone who is... the outside is the wrapper, the inside is a gift. This goes for both men and women.
  • OMGitzj3551k4
    OMGitzj3551k4 Posts: 85 Member
    My boyfriends mom said I was too skinny, at 145 lbs (I have 10 more to go) or she'll tell me not to whither away. -_-
  • "Are you smoking crack???" :noway:
  • kmpublishing2
    kmpublishing2 Posts: 55 Member
    "Are you smoking crack???" :noway:

...I just tell them yes.

It's also my default answer for when people ask how I am losing weight, but don't actually want to know the real answer.
  • oldnovice
    oldnovice Posts: 9 Member
    I'd start looking now.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Unbelievable thread, but it happend to me to. It was the last thing I expected. Mom is really mean, asking me if I am crazy when I go running at 9 p.m. and attributing innocent cold to 10 km official run. At the same time she forgets I am much stronger, more flexible and faster and can do much more work instead of her. My entire family is obese and those on the border are heading that way too (sigh).
  • Garlicmash
    Garlicmash Posts: 208
    17 years ago I lost weight and was a weight no one had seen me at before as I spent all of my teens being between 133-147 lbs and only 5ft 3.
    I had got down to 119
    I was had a healthy bmi even though the method at the time to loose the weight wasn't healthy ,but My Grandma told me I was painfully thin.
    I was thin but PAINFULLY THIN...i was not,there was no bones poking out any where.
    I still think it was a strange thing to say.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    I was at a fundraiser, all dressed up, and a drag queen that was performing that night said to my partner "Where did you get her? Malibu? Maker her go away- she's too skinny and she's making me look fat."

Obviously, I laughed my *kitten* off at that one.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    My neighbor said to me, "You were pretty before, but now that you lost some weight you really are pretty". I had a million thing I wanted to say but I was speechless.
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    "If you lose more weight, you can be my girlfriend". Seriously WTH???
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Years ago when I lost weight the first time I had a work mate who confronted me and told me I was too thin and should stop. Then she said my personality has changed since I lost weight and she didn't like the new one (wtf). Then she told me that she was going to report me to the boss if I lost any more weight! Needless to say after months of constant comments by her to lose I stopped losing (I never even reached my normal BMI) and I gave up till I eventually quit that job. Funny thing was she was short and fat and about 30 years older than me. I was doing it the healthy way that time too but without MFP which I hadn't discovered (just diet and exercise) and she was doing all sorts of weirdo tea-bag diets and paying big money for vibratone.
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    My neighbor said to me, "You were pretty before, but now that you lost some weight you really are pretty". I had a million thing I wanted to say but I was speechless.

When I lost weight in the past, I've heard this one a dozen times. Not the worst comment in my opinion though. In my opinion, it may even be sweet. At least it is an acknowledgement that she thinks you always looked good. Congrats to you for being pretty at any weight and being "really pretty" now.
  • QueensGirl83
    QueensGirl83 Posts: 54 Member
    Years ago when I lost weight the first time I had a work mate who confronted me and told me I was too thin and should stop. Then she said my personality has changed since I lost weight and she didn't like the new one (wtf). Then she told me that she was going to report me to the boss if I lost any more weight! Needless to say after months of constant comments by her to lose I stopped losing (I never even reached my normal BMI) and I gave up till I eventually quit that job. Funny thing was she was short and fat and about 30 years older than me. I was doing it the healthy way that time too but without MFP which I hadn't discovered (just diet and exercise) and she was doing all sorts of weirdo tea-bag diets and paying big money for vibratone.

Pfft, I would have just let her report me to the boss for the rediculious reason and let him see how crazy she is. No reason to stop what your doing or leave your job over (not saying that was the reason you left, but just assuming that were the case). Some of the nuttiest weight loss comments seem to come from coworkers...wtf.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    From a neighbour who hadn't seen me in a while: OMG!!! What have you done?!?! (Implying that i might have had a gastric bypass or some kind of surgery or even become bulimic or anorexic)

From my sister in law: "you're too skinny now" (this was back when i still hadn't reached my healthy weight range) My reply: " if that's a compliment thank you, if it's a criticism then "F" "U"" she realised i could tell she wasn't happy with me having lost all the weight she doesn't seem to be able to lose and nervousoy said "erm... Er... You look good now" ok, thanks for nothing

From our favorite waitress at our favorite restaurant,to which i went for dinner after a looong time. I see her as soon as I get in and say in my usual tone "Hi how are you?!? It's so nice to see you back!!!" (She had been on maternity leave for some months). All I get is a... "Excuse me... Who are you?!?" this said with a genuine puzzled face XD
  • ecoldbrook
    ecoldbrook Posts: 20
    Fair warning: There is nothing dirty in what I am about to say, minds out of the gutter people...

My husband was tickling me last night in bed, apparently my flailing limbs hit him. He says to me, "I don't know if you know this or not, but you have bony places now...not just fluff. That kinda hurt."

Um, thanks (I guess) for the status of my 'bony places'?
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    The weirdest comment I had was from my boss.

She and I have been friends for years and we both used to work at another organization. She had watched my weight loss and was always complimentary of it. I was meeting some of our former coworkers for drinks one night and my boss wasn't able to go.

The next day, she was asking me how things went the night before. Then she asked me if my coworkers had commented on my weight loss. When I said no, she went ballistic. "WTF?? Seriously, they said NOTHING? You're a completely different person now! I can't believe they didn't tell you how great you looked. What is wrong with people??"

Although it was a compliment, it was a little bit over-reactive. She was seriously offended that no one mentioned my weight loss. Which didn't really bother me at all.
  • portofmorrow
    portofmorrow Posts: 10 Member
    This is the best thread ever. i have been laughing out loud!

What really pisses me off comment-wise, is when people say things like - "Oh, don't lose any more weight!" When I was legitimately fat (25 lbs heavier), not one person said, "Oh, don't gain any more weight!" Now that I am in the best shape of my life, people are only concerned with how "skinny" I am. It's ridiculous.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    "If you lose more weight, you can be my girlfriend". Seriously WTH???

Well, aren't you lucky?

I'm really scratching my head at this one.
  • red051683
    red051683 Posts: 44 Member
    Something I really despise from all my friends & family is:

- Why aren't you eating? You've been eating healthy, treat yourself. (this being said while I'm still morbidly obese)
    - Your legs and butt are soo small, boy you are really disproportionate (I get this ALL.THE.TIME)
    - * person tries on my jacket because its to die for* then says " oh yeah, its wayyy too big on me, but its a nice jacket",..( wtf did you think it was going to be, your half my size!!!!! its one of their ways to make me feel gross, doesn't work, but its noted).
    - Just have a little bit, its not going to hurt you, you're losing weight so slow anyway, this wont affect it. (OUCH).
    - Have you ever broken a heel on your high heels because of weight? I wonder if there's a weight limit to them? (after my disgusted look person says:) " I'm just asking, I didnt know if there was". (B****)

I don't know how people feel, but depending on my mood is how I respond to this:

" Omg, wow, look how much weight you've lost, you look really fantastic "...

All I can think is " did I look like **** before and that gross you couldn't compliment on ALL those days I tried super hard to give fat ppl a good name by dressing for my body, doing my hair & make up and walking with my head held high? but you compliment me now?" **that's my negative thinking** lol,.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    My brother, his wife, and all five "adult" children (18-25) saw me at Christmas and didn't comment on the loss.... and I saw them again at the youngest's high school graduation reception, weighing another 40 lbs less, and no weight loss comments. However... My brother's ex-wife's husband DID tell me that I was looking great and he said that to him, losing weight is way harder than quitting smoking. Rock on! :)

Oh, and my mom keeps asking me when I do I think I'll be done losing weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!