Squats and Big Booties

Options
TyFit08
TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
I have read many success stories of women who have improved their derriere with squats. Now I have been blessed in that department with thick thighs to go with it. I don't want my butt or thighs to get bigger. At my best, my measurements were 33/25/37 and my heaviest, 36/30/46. I gain very little on the top, while most of my weight goes to my hips and that weight has been very difficult to lose. For years I have done squats, lunges even deadlifts and I have been frustrated with the lack of inches lost as a result of my hardwork. BTW I don't have cottage cheese thighs, they are very firm, difficult to pinch. I have well developed quads and hams, I just don't want them to get bigger. I have done almost no strength training in the last three months, just running. I completed C25K and I am now doing Five to 10k. I am finally losing inches in my thighs and weight overall. Now I want to start a strength training program again, but I don't want to be counterproductive. At what rep/weight/frequency does squats/lunges/deadlifts start to become a problem for a woman with my body type? Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'd say keep the weight low, and the reps high to tone up, but not build up a lot of mass. But really, it sounds like you just hold some fat in your "problem" areas, so the key would be to get the fat down.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    My legs and booty have both really improved doing deadlifts, squats, lunges, along with cardio.

I do the StrongLifts 5x5 program along with one day of BodyPump (lighter weights higher reps). Other days I'm doing HIIT cardio on the elleptical, stairs, or I run it for maybe 2-3 miles.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TyFit08
    Options
    My legs and booty have both really improved doing deadlifts, squats, lunges, along with cardio.

I do the StrongLifts 5x5 program along with one day of BodyPump (lighter weights higher reps). Other days I'm doing HIIT cardio on the elleptical, stairs, or I run it for maybe 2-3 miles.

21525558.png

Improved in what way? Did they get bigger, because that is not what I want. Or were you able to lose inches. I obviously want my legs and butt to be firm, but not bigger. For whatever reason, that part of my body gets the most gains (muscle or fat) I like my big butt, but when it is too big I look like I should be twerking in a music video, not a professional woman.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I'd say keep the weight low, and the reps high to tone up, but not build up a lot of mass. But really, it sounds like you just hold some fat in your "problem" areas, so the key would be to get the fat down.

Maybe I will stick with bodyweight squats and lunges for now.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options

21525558.png

Improved in what way? Did they get bigger, because that is not what I want. Or were you able to lose inches. I obviously want my legs and butt to be firm, but not bigger. For whatever reason, that part of my body gets the most gains (muscle or fat) I like my big butt, but when it is too big I look like I should be twerking in a music video, not a professional woman.

No not bigger. Smaller, leaner, firmer, lifted booty. Lost some inches for sure, the muscle I worked on helped big time to lean up my thighs.
    Keep you eating right though. I eat between 1600-1800 calories and my macros are set at 40/40/20, my protein mostly lean like egg whites, chicken breast, seafood, no red meat.
    It takes time but it did work for me, hope it does for you as well.

BTW... you look pretty good. I think anything from here on will only improve. :wink:
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight low rep (1-5) will increase the strength and improve the composition in your 'derriere' but will do little for hypertrophy.

And just for the record this thread could use some photos. :angry:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion, I do squats and dead lifts (not very heavy weights yet, but I'm working on it). My butt and thighs have improved and shrunk. My thighs at the fatty part at the top went from 24" to 21.5". From 21.5 to 19.4" at the mid thigh. My hips and butt went from 42" to 38". And that's just from the point that i started measuring, I was actually bigger than that and didn't measure for several months after starting my program. My butt is also lifted and looks awesome in my bathing suit now.

I don't blame you for not wanting to bulk, but let's be real, its not gonna happen without a lot of weights and more dedication than most people care to put forth. Squats, lunges, and dead lifts are your friend.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I don't have a really huge *kitten*/hips, but a reasonable size. I didn't like the shape but have found that lunges and hill sprints have worked a charm. Don't just do normal lunges, mix them up with hill sprints, weights and so one. What I like to do is;

1. 15mins warm up on the treadmill, at least 3% angle at all times and up to sprints on 9%. Keep heat rate up around 170most of the time. Also have rests on a 1%, 1km/hr doing lunges for 1min about 3 times.
    2. Stretching. LOTS OF IT! like 20minutes
    3. forward lunges with weights (something like 2.5kg in each hand)
    4. backward lunges with a single weight which I bring back over my head as I hold the lunge (this does your abs too)
    5. repeat the lunge sets a few times, mix in some box jumps, leg presses, abs work (some abs exercises get your legs too)

Then expect to not be able to walk the next day :) funny telling friends your bum hurts haha
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I don't have a really huge *kitten*/hips, but a reasonable size. I didn't like the shape but have found that lunges and hill sprints have worked a charm. Don't just do normal lunges, mix them up with hill sprints, weights and so one. What I like to do is;

1. 15mins warm up on the treadmill, at least 3% angle at all times and up to sprints on 9%. Keep heat rate up around 170most of the time. Also have rests on a 1%, 1km/hr doing lunges for 1min about 3 times.
    2. Stretching. LOTS OF IT! like 20minutes
    3. forward lunges with weights (something like 2.5kg in each hand)
    4. backward lunges with a single weight which I bring back over my head as I hold the lunge (this does your abs too)
    5. repeat the lunge sets a few times, mix in some box jumps, leg presses, abs work (some abs exercises get your legs too)

Then expect to not be able to walk the next day :) funny telling friends your bum hurts haha

When I was smaller I did do lunges uphill. I may take that up again. I used to run a lot and finish my run with lunges up a hill and I was in great shape. I also did bodyweight squats. I didn't really start doing lunges or squats with weights period until the last couple years and my weight loss journey stalled. Again I have very firm quads/hams so the fact that I didn't start seeing a difference until I intensified my running and by chance skipped out on strength training, makes me question whether I was taking the right approach. It's not that I'm against weights. I want to lift. I want to get stronger, I just don't want make my big thighs even bigger. I gave up the stairclimber and rarely use ellipitcal machine because how thick my thighs would get from regular use. It never occurred to me to reevaluate my squat/lunge routines until I saw all these pics popping up on here and online of women who have increased the size of their booties and thighs through these very exercises. Great for them, just not my goals.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    you're talking about exercise when what you should be talking about is calorie deficit.

and where are the damn photos?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    you're talking about exercise when what you should be talking about is calorie deficit.

^^^^ I agree on all points. And thread title is misleading, I'm calling foul :angry:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Heavy weight low rep (1-5) will increase the strength and improve the composition in your 'derriere' but will do little for hypertrophy.

And just for the record this thread could use some photos. :angry:

Listen to Cros. Heavy weights, low reps. Squats, deadlifts, lunges, steps ups, hip thrusts/glute bridges ... those are your bread and butter for glute training. And if you're eating at a deficit, you won't gain size. Things will just look better.
  • TyFit08
    Options

I am currently doing Weight Watchers for food. But still like to come here for the boards. I had tracked with MFP for more than a year and I just didn't get any results. I had trouble staying consistent with tracking, but in spite of trying various ranges of calorie deficits, I just kept losing and gaining the same five pounds over the course of a year +. Now since I have been doing WW and running, the weight is coming off, I am losing inches and feeling great. But I don't want to add something to my routine that will go against my goals.

As for pictures, I have no idea how to post pics in the forum. But you can see my profile picture. This is after losing just over 15lbs. I haven't taken my measurements lately, but my pants are feeling loser. Can't say that was the case after doing things like Insanity, which made my clothes even tighter. Did three rounds of that. Or strength training programs that I have tried during my attempts to lose weight.

Again stats, I am 5'10. Currently 185 lbs. Goal is to be 145-155. Heaviest 202. Former and goal measurements, 33/26/37. Which is around the 145-155 lb range. I feel I am more proportioned when I am that size. At my heaviest my hips were 46, an almost 10 inch gain, while my waist and bust only went up about 3 inches respectively. So my question concerning squats pertains to women who are blessed in the booty/hip area, but don't want any more blessings. So this is for women who are bottom heavy. Also, bottom heavy doesn't mean flab. My thighs and butt aren't flabby, but naturally firm and are very stubborn at when it comes to leaning or losing. I keep reading do squats if you want a big butt, well if you have a big butt, it doesn't seem like you should approach squats/lunges etc. as someone who is trying to gain one.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your butt doesnt get bigger, it just starts look rounder and higher and there's a bigger separation in where the backof the legs end and the bottom of the butt begins.

if my butt and thighs got bigger from squatting heavy weights (i also have thick thighs) then there's no way i would have decreased my pants size from a size 22 to a size 14. i only do high weight/low reps
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. The tops of my thighs and butt are huge & when I do squats, my thighs don't get smaller. They get more toned. Like you, I don't have cellulite. My thighs are smooth just huge. One thing, I've realized works is barre workouts. It's basically a workout that helps get those long, lean legs that dancer's have. I still do squats. I like the Denise Austin Legs and Buns video on youtube. It's quick and effective, but I lean heavily on barre workouts!
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I have the same problem. The tops of my thighs and butt are huge & when I do squats, my thighs don't get smaller. They get more toned. Like you, I don't have cellulite. My thighs are smooth just huge. One thing, I've realized works is barre workouts. It's basically a workout that helps get those long, lean legs that dancer's have. I still do squats. I like the Denise Austin Legs and Buns video on youtube. It's quick and effective, but I lean heavily on barre workouts!

That is exactly my issue. I want lean thighs or leaner thighs and I'm happy with my butt, don't need it to get bigger either. . I will look into those videos. I am getting conflicting information. A lot of squats, no weights or light weights or fewer reps with heavy. Just want to know what is best for my body type and goals.
  • simplyciera
    Options

That is exactly my issue. I want lean thighs or leaner thighs and I'm happy with my butt, don't need it to get bigger either. . I will look into those videos. I am getting conflicting information. A lot of squats, no weights or light weights or fewer reps with heavy. Just want to know what is best for my body type and goals.
    Well, I know that slower, harder reps work best for me. I just don't add weight because I'm weak! lol. True barre makes you really work! You hold poses and do small movements that really sculpt your legs. This is probably a more girly version of lifting heavy& slow like others were saying. There are squats, but they are done through plies, ballet sqauts and other things. It's a bit more graceful. I'd do everything and then see what works for you. I get what you're going with. From your picture, we have the same body type except my boobs may be bigger. Another thing, I've realized that my thighs aren't going anywhere. they will always be large at the top. To get rid of them, would mean that I'm getting rid of my butt (which I DON'T want to happen). But I don't want to loose my deep curves, my hips and butt so I've learned to accept my thighs! You're gorgeous girl! Also, cardio is great for just weight loss. I do the exercise bike & I find that it helps in conjuction with the workouts I do. Hope it helped!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ummm..... there are no exercises that are going to make your muscles longer. Or leaner. Just sayin
  • simplyciera
    Options
    Ummm..... there are no exercises that are going to make your muscles longer. Or leaner. Just sayin
    Yes, but there are exercises that will make your LEGS appear longer because you're legs are shaped, thinner and toned. One of the routines that can do that is barre workouts.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Can we get over the squats/lifting makes you bulky myth? It doesn't. You just look and feel better and stronger. Been lifting 3 years and am a lot less bulky than ever!

Yes, I love My Bar Method workouts, too. They compliment each other quite well.