Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Those suits are adorable! Super classy.
  • andijean31
    andijean31 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    In high school, I used to have an obese friend and we'd go to the beach together. She'd rock a lime green string bikini while I wore a tankini. Her look wasn't the easiest on the eyes and I was concerned by the looks she was gettting.

I'll admit it - I judged her initially, I even went home and told my boyfriend at the time that I couldn't believe she wore that in public. But, all I had to do was look away if it "bothered" me and really, why should it? It's her body. I ultimately ended up being impressed with her confidence and even if it's something I would never do, props to her for being that comfortable with her body.

In general, why are we persecuting people for how they choose to live their lives when it doesn't affect us?
  • poette2
    poette2 Posts: 2
    Options
    The girls in the photos below look beautiful. Hell, maybe they have just lost 200 lbs, how do you know? I'm sick of not having 'plus' sizes available in clothing that is available to everyone else. Feeling ashamed of our bodies is the unhealthiest thing of all. It's a wonderful thing NOT be ashamed and to NOT buy into our society's fat-hating culture. Be nice to us or leave us alone.

Why do you think you have the right to tell anyone what to wear? What if I came up to you and said I didn't like your hairstyle - wear a hat! It's YOUR personal problem if you don't like how someone looks or what we wear. If you are disgusted by fat people, maybe you should explore why you feel that way. To me, it's like saying someone should mask the color of their skin just because YOU don't like it. That is bias and discrimination. Fat DOES NOT EQUAL ugly. I feel sorry for you if you feel that way.

Know that the ridicule and cruel jokes that fat people endure their whole life (whether they choose to be fat or not) is far worse than some stupid bikini you don't like. In fact, those who choose to wear a bikini are rejecting your terrible, negative attitude.

I truly believe that in my lifetime we will see fat bias as an illegal discrimation, just like race. There are many, many people that are fat due to medical reasons and many other factors. When fat bias become prohibited, then comments and 'stories' like these can be flagged as illegal. I can hardly wait for your unwarranted hatred to be wiped form this country.
  • babylemonade
    babylemonade Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the OP. I have NEVER ONCE heard in my life that it is "okay" to be obese. BUT just because it isn't okay to be obese, that doesn't mean that there shouldn't be plus sized clothing. I mean, no one can go around naked. It's the law.

It's their choice if they want to stay unhealthy, and clothing companies want to make money so they're going to make clothes for all types of people (Unless they're Abercrombie) so get over it. I've heard more fat-shaming than anything else.

And what if someone who wears a "fatkini" bought one because they used to be bigger and they want to celebrate their progress? You're going to have a problem with it? Change doesn't happen overnight and no one is saying being fat is okay. But while they make changes or not, they need something to freaking wear.
  • mistyblu13
    mistyblu13 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Agreed! While its nice to have the decent clothes out there for the overweight-obese its not ok to say that its all good either -statistically speaking obese people have a lot more health issues due to weight alone.....yes skinny people have health issues too but I don't think to this extent.....Our health care costs have risen dramatically in the last even ten years due to obesity ....surgeries while they help some people out they are expensive and can cause other health issues that can be a lifelong problem equaling even more cost.....popping the "magic pill" to lose weight also causes health issues that can bring lifelong healthcare risk and costs....people are always complaining about the cost of healthcare and insurance premiums going up....simple solution to it all= eat well ....stay moving at all times....drink WATER .....take a multi vitamin....stay away from people you have STD's if you know what I mean (wink wink) ....drugs and alcohol=you'll be fine....lol
  • poette2
    poette2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Obesity = Disease? I need to comment on this.

NOT ONE PERSON has ever died from being fat. You can say that some other complication one has "may be" related to being overweight. But there is no proof that when you get heart disease, it WAS related to weight. Thin people get heart disease all the time.

Actually, I just read that you can actually die from being thin. A direct result. If you are too thin, your organs can fail and you die!

I repeat, NO ONE has ever died just from 'being fat'.
  • Amazonbella
    Amazonbella Posts: 338
    Options
    Being judgmental isn't sexy on anybody. Just saying. :flowerforyou:

AGREED 100% :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    ....simple solution to it all= eat well ....stay moving at all times....drink WATER .....take a multi vitamin....stay away from people you have STD's if you know what I mean (wink wink) ....drugs and alcohol=you'll be fine....lol

While I understand where you're coming from with this post, what of the folks who *do* eat well, exercise regularly and take care of themselves but are still overweight?

There's more to being overweight or obese than just being sedentary & consuming excess calories. My point is, a simple answer like calories in vs calories out & move more, is not a one-size-fits-all answer to a likely multi-faceted problem with weight.
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are some cultures that embrace plus-sized women over thin women. Obesity is an epidemic and everyone should strive to be healthy, but just because some people don't find it appropriate for an overweight woman to wear a bikini doesn't make it wrong. What if script was flipped and society decided that being thin is extremely unattractive and needs to be covered???
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Agree 100%!

People should begin to grasp the fact that obesity is a HEALTH problem, not a simple matter of looks and start treating it as what it is: A DISEASE that must be tackled and dealt with by everyone.
  • auria17
    auria17 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If they can legally term it a "disease" then they can medicate it. Then not only is your healty being detrimentally affected by excess fat but now you are dealing with multiple perscription drugs to treat your "disease" and the side effects that come from your drugs will need to be medicated too.

That said, hating how you look and feel isn't going to help a person become healthy and happy, if you dress your body well at any weight and you feel good, then maybe you will start to make the choices that will lead to a better body...
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal .... I would totally rock one of those fatkini's...

I love to swim, in my own pool or in public places. I will be fat whether I wear a giant swim dress moomoo, shorts and a t-shirt or one of these Fatkini's.

I am not asking you or anyone else to approve of how I look in them...or to shoot me the "You look horrible" look. I know how I look, I have a mirror, and thanks, but I don't need your approval or validation anyway.

I want to feel comfortable in the water. I want to move freely. All my "bases" are covered, so it's all good.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    oooh nevermind :blushing:
  • lingading
    lingading Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    i like them. it's a nice break from having the only option of a one piece ugly POS with a skirt because it's essentially "the only acceptable thing for a fat person to wear in public".. i want one. I'd want to lose some weight before wearing one, but i would absolutely wear one as a bigger girl. find something else to hate on.
  • charlenequinn94
    Options
    I actually think they are cute. But, I also think a overweight woman should not wear a string bikini out in public. I did not appreciate having to explain to my young daughter at the time why the overweight woman had parts of her body showing because the little piece of fabric did not cover her private area. Now I am overweight and will be for a while longer. I look forward to the day I can get a two piece that is not a tankini or a one piece. Do I feel that overweight women should be dressed in a muumuu heck no. I think we have just as much right to dress sexy and pretty as the next woman. But, I also feel that there is a certain level of pride that needs to be considered when choosing our clothes.
  • Marygtl12
    Marygtl12 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just because someone is overweight doesn't mean they aren't trying or on some type of program to lose. I don't know why they have to wear hideous clothes in the mean time or bury themselves in fabric on hot days or hide themselves away somewhere. I am 20 pounds overweight and my doctor says my numbers are as good as they get and for me losing weight is only for myself.He says he has thin people come in with horrible numbers and whats he going to tell them lose weight?.Weight is just one of the factors of good health.I eat healthy and exercise.I am healthy.I also eat to much! So I am overweight.But for the record no bikinis for me :wink:
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think they're great. A helluva lot more flattering than the swim dresses I see a lot of bigger women wear.

Ideally, yeah, I'd like people to take care of themselves and be fit. I don't see the point of dooming yourself to ugly clothes or swimwear no matter who you are or what you look like. And let's face it, if you're big, you're going to look big no matter what you're wearing, so why not wear something you actually LIKE?

^^This!^^

You have to be at least okay with looking at yourself in the mirror before you can be successful at losing weight. Self-loathing never helped anyone, and spending your life in unattractive clothes is just not good for anyone's self-esteem. I don't want to remain my current size, but I am really glad that clothing companies make clothes that flatter me during my weight loss journey.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just have to say, those last 2 girls look much better in those bathing suits than I do in my bikini...they sure have a flatter stomach than I do!

So true!! Stupid photoshop!!!

I'm the thinnest and most in-shape I've been in my entire life (at 125 lbs, 5'-6") and my stomach still isn't that flat!
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I think they look great. There are all sorts of bodies out there, it's nice that they make bikinis that are more covering.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    My motto is dress for the body you have not the body you want. Also, just because it zips does not mean it fits!