Asking Bridal Party To Lose Weight

Options
No, I am not doing this ( I think its horrible). However, I am recently engaged and have an acquaintance who is as well. We were chatting and she was telling me that she wants people in her bridal party to drop a specific amount of weight for her wedding, or else she is going to reconsider replacing them with a skinnier person.. Has anyone else on this board actually requested this from their wedding party? It seems to be a new 'trend' ... Personally, I think this is over the top and Bridezilla- ish. However, I do understand the whole thing about wanting your wedding day to be perfect. What do you guys think about it?

Replies

• psykins
    psykins Posts: 76
    Options
    That is kind of disgusting to me, to be honest. Then again, I am not the kind of person who cared about having a "perfect" wedding.
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Ouch. if they didn't want someone with alittle extra weight in their bridal party they should have never asked them.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    very shallow with very little regard for her friends feelings:noway:
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    It's cold and rude. I wouldn't want to be in a bridal party for a bride like that. The people in the bridal party should be friends and relatives who mean a lot to the bride and who she is asking to celebrate her wedding milestone with her. They should not be terrorized into slimming down for a photo session.... plus there's the expense of the clothes. Ugh.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Your friend is on to something, a new reality show. Bridezilla meets Biggest Loser. I think it has real potential! she should hire a crew and pitch the treatment to the major networks! could be a winner.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Your friend is on to something, a new reality show. Bridezilla meets Biggest Loser. I think it has real potential! she should hire a crew and pitch the treatment to the major networks! could be a winner.

LOL! :laugh:
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    a total A*&H$^@! if she doesn't like her friends enough to want to have them there for who they are and what they represent in her life then she is totally off the track! I would tell her to piss off if she asked me that! Very Offensive!!!!
  • dessyjo
    dessyjo Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree that's horrible. It doesn't matter if you want your wedding to be perfect. Perfect would consist of all your family and friends together in one room and with nobody fighting.
  • anna_louise90
    anna_louise90 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hm I think I would probably encourage them to eat more so that I looked better! (just joking :tongue: )
  • nickymarie011
    Options
    Hm I think I would probably encourage them to eat more so that I looked better! (just joking :tongue: )

LMAO. Thanks for the idea haha
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Why not use cardboard cutouts? They weigh a few ounces each, every hair is in place, look great in photos and don't embarrass anyone at dinner.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    That's pretty horrible.

Our wedding party consisted of 4 bridesmaids, 1 groomsman (the best man) and 2 grooms-ladies lol
    So i guessI really wasn't worried about it looking a certain way.
  • FuchsiaBones
    FuchsiaBones Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Agree with previous replies. If I care enough about the person to ask them to be a part of my wedding, I care enough about them to not even consider that their weight would "ruin the pictures" and enough that I would hate to hurt their feelings.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    You know what made my wedding day perfect? Marrying the man I loved and having the people I care most about standing with me.

How anyone looked or what they wore didn't matter one bit.
  • lisasjen
    lisasjen Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think that's heinous. I would never consider someone who asked me to lose weight for a wedding to be a "friend" more like my worst enemy... now if they asked me to lose weight for my health that would be different.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think I'd tell her thanks, but no thanks. If she's that loony about what her bridal party looks like, I can't even imagine what a holy terror she will be about other things.

"I SAID IVORY ROSES!!!! THESE ARE WHITE!!!!"
  • rshcraig
    rshcraig Posts: 53
    Options
    Wow.... I am a bridesmaid in an upcoming wedding but thats not why I'm losing weight... my friend is so incredibly sweet that even though I am by far the largest of the party, she says we all have different body types any way and is having us all wear different dresses to suit our body types... she picked the color and the material but the style is up to us and what we feel best in. I think I would have to reconsider friendship if my friend told me I was too big to be in her wedding.
  • nickymarie011
    Options
    The awful part about it is she knows some of the girls in my bridal party and she was telling me I should do the same as her and request them to lose some weight LOL. Some people *shakes head* ...I have been seeing this time and time again on television though, so I didn't know if it was the 'norm' or what.
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Clearly, your friend bride does not realize the point of asking ugly girls to be bridesmaids and further putting them in hideous gowns so she will reign ad goddess.

Seriously, it is inappropriate in every way to demand anyone lose weight to suit one's self.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I would tell that Bride where she could shove it. I'm not losing weight for someone else, let alone because someone else is so disillusioned to think that she can demand such a personal physically and emotionally tasking thing.
    It's beyond rude, and shows no manners and no care for anyone else but herself.