Asking Bridal Party To Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• jesuison
    jesuison Posts: 34
    Options
    Sick and wrong...my maid of honor was my disabled sister who has severe cerebral palsy....couldn't have been happier to have her by my side...if that is what that girl is worried about, I fear for her husband and children to come....She has no idea what love is....

100% true. Her wedding is not about love, but about face. Gross.
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    ..... wow.

I've never known anyone in real life that would do this! I didn't even ask my girls to wear the same dress because I had a size 2 bridesmaid, a size 8 bridesmaid, and a size 20. I wanted to make everything as easy as I could for them. Fortunately they did find a dress that looked fabulous on all three of them, but it was NOT a requirement of my wedding. To ask them to lose weight for the wedding? That would be INFINITELY more inappropriate of me.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Stupid
  • nothingwithoutHim
    nothingwithoutHim Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Umm...how are they even still FRIENDS?? Seriously?

Unacceptable in any circumstance. I was the fattest bridesmaid at a wedding this year, and frankly if the bride would have "reconsidered" asking me to be a bridesmaid because of my weight, I would have "reconsidered" going to her wedding at all.

The TV show idea is great. Awesome potential.
  • PrimalPixie
    PrimalPixie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This doesn't seem indicative of a true friendship. It's also not what is supposed to matter. It's ridiculous!
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow how self absorbed could someone be..... pretty scary...
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    You know what made my wedding day perfect? Marrying the man I loved and having the people I care most about standing with me.

How anyone looked or what they wore didn't matter one bit.

Perfect response. And any bride that expected the people in her wedding party to lose weight for her big day is a shallow b*tch.
  • alliepallie89
    Options
    I think what makes a wedding beautiful and perfect is being around those you love and having them share a special part of your life. Obviously this person has messed up priorities and doesn't share these beliefs, which is a shame.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    The awful part about it is she knows some of the girls in my bridal party and she was telling me I should do the same as her and request them to lose some weight LOL. Some people *shakes head* ...I have been seeing this time and time again on television though, so I didn't know if it was the 'norm' or what.

Keyword: Television...of course it isnt the norm.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    wow, if someone made that request of me, I would laugh at them and tell them there was going to be one less guest at the affair.

plus, as I think someone else pointed out... the reason bridesmaids traditionally wear awful dresses is so that the bride looks like the most beautiful woman there. Hell, I'd think a bride would ask her pretty, skinny friends to put ON weight!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    She should've never asked people that weren't at a perfect weight if she intends on doing this. I think that's absurd.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I've been a bridesmaid four times when I was a little heavier and weight was never mentioned. But the brides were my sister and very close college friends. One of the brides later told me that if one of our friends had been as big as she is now (50 lb heavier) she wouldn't have had her in the wedding. I think it had more to do with the fact that they are not really friends anymore and wouldn't mind burning that bridge. But this is the same bride who gingerly asked me if I would consider growing my hair out for her wedding. Some people see their weddings almost as photoshoots. Won't ask short men to be groomsmen, etc.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mkvgtfRL0X1s9j8ldo1_500.gif
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why I have never been a bride's maid. How rude.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    How much is the bride losing? Would be an interesting prank to switch her mirror on her wedding day to a distort one that makes you look bigger.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I think its down right rude. If a bride told me that I'd tell her where she could go and I wouldn't be part of her wedding and she would no longer be my friend. NO ONE is THAT special to tell me how much I should lose.
  • mflinn84
    mflinn84 Posts: 35
    Options
    OH MY GOSH, it is insane! I got married in 2010, my bridesmaids were my sisters and they looked beautiful. I wonder how on earth women that superficial actually find men willing to marry them.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    She should hire models to stand up for her.

Also, she is a total ****. (The first asterisk is a "c", by the way)
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Maybe this is why I have never been a bride's maid. How rude.

tumblr_mg2rrm3Rbm1r2mou0o1_400.gif
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    id do just about anything for a close friend. losing weight wouldnt bother me at all. or growing a beard. or wearing a weird groomsmen's outfit. etc...

and for those saying they'd disown a lifelong friend for asking this i say you werent that good of friends to begin with.