Does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If plain water was the only way to hydrate my body, I woulda been dead a long long time ago. It's seriously stupid to think that plain water is the only way. Clearly there are a lot of people that won't drink plain water and they are not dead.

BTW it's not soda and it's not pop. It's soda pop.
  • cclarkcts
    cclarkcts Posts: 97
    Options
    To make sure I can count my Crystal Light, I drink the water, then eat the packet. That way the water counts. Otherwise it doesn't... See how much sense that makes?

You can count the water in your milk if you want to count it toward your water. Just log the calories as well.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    a) You don't need 8 glasses of water a day,

b) You need to consume enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated.

c) If your urine is pale yellow you are hydrated.

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.
    This says it all.
  • MatthewMacG
    MatthewMacG Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The body uses both food and liquids as sources of hydration. Some foods have a greater amount of water than others and some liquids will hydrate better than others depending on their water content. A glass of water is 100% water, whereas a glass of milk is around 87% water. If you wanted you could get all your water from foods or milk, but the best hydration is obviously water.

I used to drink only Pepsi Max and nothing else and I'm still alive so the human body will get its water from whatever you give it with a water content, regardless of how healthy it is including water sources that include caffeine such as Pepsi Max.
  • Bmike01
    Bmike01 Posts: 2
    Options
    I was told that decaf coffee counts as water.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    does saltwater count as water or is it not water because it has salt in it?
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    8 pages seariously? For me anything wet can be hydrating its why I dont bother to log it.

P.S. English/American speaking people we invented the language so its pop or fizzy pop to give its true Northen name.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I wish beer counts as water :cry:
  • pecourtney
    Options
    This is from webmd.com (http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/wonders-of-water)

"Water is one of the most basic elements of life but figuring out how much we ought to drink hasn't always been so simple.

Most of us grew up thinking we needed to drink eight glasses of water each day, in addition to any other drinks we might choose. But the latest recommendations say that we no longer need to worry about drinking specific amounts of water. Instead, we can simply satisfy our thirst with any beverage. As it turns out, there really was no scientific evidence for the 64-ounce daily recommendation that was based on survey data of usual consumption.

Of course, water -- clean, refreshing, and calorie-free -- is an ideal beverage of choice but studies have shown that you can be just as hydrated with coffee, soft drinks, or even beer."

And this is from mayoclinic.com (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283/NSECTIONGROUP=2)

"Beyond the tap: Other sources of water
    Although it's a great idea to keep water within reach at all times, you don't need to rely only on what you drink to meet your fluid needs. What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake. For example, many fruits and vegetables, such as watermelon and tomatoes, are 90 percent or more water by weight.

In addition, beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute, but these should not be a major portion of your daily total fluid intake. Water is still your best bet because it's calorie-free, inexpensive and readily available."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Seriously, come on! Your body needs water like you need air. You can survive for days without food but try going without water for 2 and you will see the response your body will give you. I consume 8-10 litres of water a day which is about 40 glasses. That might seems a lot but consider this: its better to have a hydrated body and dehydrated especially when training fasted after 20 hour fast.
    I stopped drinking milk 12 years ago, do some research on milk and you will understand why especially any milk from the US, UK hence why I supplement my nutrition with calcium.
    Cheers
    Sergio

I could drink nothing but milk for a month and never be dehydrated in the least. Also, I would get lots of good protein, calcium, fat and a plethora of other great things. I produce plenty of natural lactase so I have no issues with milk.

Do some research before making a statement like that:
    So why is milk so bad? According to Vivian Goldschmidt, founder of Save Our Bones, there are a variety of myths surrounding milk consumption. One of the first myths, she says, is that drinking milk creates healthy bones because of the calcium found in the milk. However, the animal protein found in milk actually depletes the human body of calcium, exactly the opposite of what milk drinkers expect it to do.

In much the same way, she also dispels another milk myth, that drinking milk will help reduce bone fractures. She cites sources that show that higher milk consumption can actually be linked with an increase in bone fractures. Further, she also states that milk is a "processed food." Milk is pasteurized and homogenized, and the cows that produce the milk are given hormones and antibiotics (which, of course, wind up in the milk). Goldschmidt then links hormonal additives to cancer.

Ultimately, Cohen, Goldschmidt and hundreds of others want Americans (and, in fact, every human being on the planet) to get this message: Say 'No' to Milk!

Sources:
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bflength.html
    http://www.notmilk.com/
    http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/031255_milk_health.html#ixzz2XorPZUlH

You should check your research before making your statements.

1st link - is about breast feeding - what does this have to do with your statements?

2nd link - please link the page that cites studies that say what you are saying

3rd link - A bunch of correlation not causation and no actual conclusions when you actually look at the studies mentioned - total diet is relevant.

4th link - this one just links the three above

There are a bunch of studies that show dairy in general and milk in particular have certain beneficial health implications.

OP: yes, milk counts towards fluids, just make sure your count the calories as well.
  • pecourtney
    Options
    And one more from mayoclinic.com about caffeine:

"Question
    Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
    I've been seeing ads that say cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does. Is this true?

Answer
    from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.
    It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

Still, caffeinated drinks can make you jittery, sleepless or anxious. Water is probably your best bet to stay hydrated. It's calorie-free, caffeine-free, inexpensive and readily available. "
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    Wait. Hold up.

You guys still log your water? Next you'll tell me you still have a facebook account.
  • DaveFassett
    DaveFassett Posts: 12 Member
    Options

By all means, drink pop, juice, milk instead of water. And get back to me on how much weight you are losing.

I drink 2-3 cans of diet Barq's root beer a day, and count that as well as my milk as water...

Losing 1.5-2lbs a week thanks. :)
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options

By all means, drink pop, juice, milk instead of water. And get back to me on how much weight you are losing.

I drink 2-3 cans of diet Barq's root beer a day, and count that as well as my milk as water...

Cut that out and you might increase the weight loss. Studies have shown that regular pop drinkers tend to be obese.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Oh, the humanity! :huh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I wish beer counts as water :cry:

It can :tongue:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283 - any beverage counts

"beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute"

http://jap.physiology.org/content/83/4/1152.abstract? interesting one about alcohol post exercise and recovery

“There appears to be no difference in recovery from dehydration whether the rehydration beverage is alcohol free or contains up to 2% alcohol, but drinks containing 4% alcohol tend to delay the recovery process.”
  • DaveFassett
    DaveFassett Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Cut that out and you might increase the weight loss. Studies have shown that regular pop drinkers tend to be obese.

LOL I'd have to put ON some weight first if I wanted to be obese. And cutting out my "DIET" barq's cuts 0 calories from my diet... not sure it will speed things up for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    a) You don't need 8 glasses of water a day,

b) You need to consume enough FLUIDS to keep your body hydrated.

c) If your urine is pale yellow you are hydrated.

d) Any kind of liquid will hydrate your body. Coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, soups, etc. An apple is 85% water.

e) There is no proof that drinking large amounts of water has any effect on weight loss beyond making you feel full.
    This says it all.

QFT
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Correlation =/= causation.

I see a lot of obese people using cardio equipment in the gym also; therefore, using cardio equipment makes you obese.

Right?
  • drillfork
    drillfork Posts: 5
    Options
    I imagine this was specifically to do with your chemo though. It's very dangerous to go round telling people "any liquid is fine". It quite clearly isn't. Should I drink two litres of Strawberry Yazoo a day instead of water? Vodka? Kerosene?

The fact is that water is way better for you than any other liquid because

a] It gives you more energy. Milk is not as effective as this. Alcohol certainly is not.
    b] It hydrates you skin and improves your appearance
    c] It hydrates your organs, helping to optimise them and improve your metabolism, therefore aiding weight loss
    d] It regulates your body temperature
    e] It allow nutrients to reach the cells in your body more effectively
    f] Helps remove waste matter more effectively

So no, any liquid is not fine. For YOU yes, in your current situation, but everyone else cannot cheat and drink whatever they like and pretend it's as good as water.
    Water doesn't provide any "energy" at all. That's one of its main selling points for dieters: it's calorie free. It leaves and enters the body without altering the energy balance.

Ultimately, drinks made primarily of water will do all the things you say just to a somewhat lesser degree than water. Milk is 85% or so water and will do all of above like a glass of water. Maybe not as much as water, but it's doubtful whether the difference in water content would be noticeable.