How many calories do you consume for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Surprised people don't eat more calories earlier in the day -- they're easier to burn!

I don't understand why it's easier to burn.

Because if you eat your calories earlier in the day, you'll probably burn them off, as opposed to waiting until just before you go to sleep. There was some study done where people ate 2,000 calories in one meal. The breakfast people lost weight, the lunch people maintained and the people who ate the 2,000-calorie dinner gained weight. I'm not sure how many studies were done on this, but it gives credence to the idea that you shouldn't put most of your calories late in the day -- if you are trying to lose weight.

Hogwash! I eat 40-50% of my calories after 5PM, and look at my ticker :)
  • callasm
    callasm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually between 180-220

English muffin
    1/2 grapefruit
    water
    or
    English muffin
    1 egg scrambled
    1 piece peppered bacon
    water
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Breakfast almost always 220

4 egg whites
    1/4 c oats
    multivitamin
    vitamin C
    Fish Oil
    Coffee
    Splenda
    Creamer
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    During the week it's about 400 - Kashi, Greek yogurt, protein powder, and fruit. Or a smoothie. Plus coffee and creamer.
    On the weekend it's more like 500 - eggs and toast with bacon or pancakes or some kind of biscuity thing.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    zero. i dont eat breakfast
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It varies depending on my appetite but it's usually 400-700 calories, occasionally less or more. I work out in the morning and burn quite a bit so I HAVE to eat a sizable portion of food or I get really grumpy and can't concentrate on anything. I marvel at people who skip breakfast or eat a very small one. I think I've done that maybe five times in my entire life...and not by choice!
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    150. Then I have an 80 calorie snack around 11. I eat lunch around 1 PM.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Usually 250-350 during the week. Weekend breakfasts are unpredictable.
    Always have coffee with creamer.
    Usually have oatmeal- old fashioned oats, almond milk, berries.
    Sometimes I will do PB toast, almond milk and maybe some fruit.

I get some kind of exercise most days so I aim for a total of 1500-1600 calories and like to have room for bigger dinner, but my calories are spread out pretty evenly throughout the day. I get hungry often, so I snack a lot.
  • amandamae61288
    amandamae61288 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yup!

I need to eat every coupld of hours or I am a cranky mess, cannot focus on a thing!
  • angelenas
    angelenas Posts: 2
    Options
    great job
  • saphyreplatypus
    Options
    I eat like a hobbit, first breakfast (pre-workout) 200 cals or less, usually a green smoothie or oatmeal, then second breakfast (post workout) is more substantial and can range from 300-600 cals. I then have coffee for my "elevensies" lol! I try to get the bulk of my cals, around 75/80% in before 5.
  • grizziegriz
    grizziegriz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    about 300 in the a.m., egg white, chopped onions, crushed red peppers, wheat toast and a glass of fat free milk.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Usually 300-400 calories.
    I tend to have oatmeal with low fat milk and half a chopped up banana, protein pancakes or scrambled egg whites.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Surprised people don't eat more calories earlier in the day -- they're easier to burn!

I don't understand why it's easier to burn.

Because if you eat your calories earlier in the day, you'll probably burn them off, as opposed to waiting until just before you go to sleep. There was some study done where people ate 2,000 calories in one meal. The breakfast people lost weight, the lunch people maintained and the people who ate the 2,000-calorie dinner gained weight. I'm not sure how many studies were done on this, but it gives credence to the idea that you shouldn't put most of your calories late in the day -- if you are trying to lose weight.

Hogwash! I eat 40-50% of my calories after 5PM, and look at my ticker :)

Ditto. I always consume bigger amounts after around 3pm up to 11pm.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Typically I intermittent fast Monday-Friday so I usually don't eat breakfast. Saturday if my hubby is home from work (and most Sundays) we will eat a big brunch usually late in the morning or after church. Brunch could be 1000 calories if we're really indulgent. ???? I usually eat about 2000 calories/day.

Intermittent fasting definitely hasn't affected my metabolism or my weight loss... Good thing my body didn't know about this "breakfast requirement" ⬇⬇⬇
  • DoctorCheeba
    Options
    400-600 calories is my regular breakfast. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Always better to eat more earlier! Dinner should be your smallest amount of calories if possible, if not exercise a little after eating.

Regular morning: Scrambled eggs and chicken breast with a cup of tea or coffee.

- 2 large eggs
    - 4 egg whites
    - Skinless, Boneless lean chicken breast cut up (About 150g)

- And then some mornings I'll sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of cinnamon and add 1/8 cup of organic maple syrup if I want sweet (Delicious!) OR I'll just add 2 tablespoons of ketchup.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    250-350 on a typical day for breakfast
    400-500 lunch
    500-600 dinner
    100-200 for dessert or snacks during the day

My eating schedule tends to be off on the weekend (more brunch, less breakfast) and then I end up eating 800 calories for brunch and the rest for dinner.
  • daniellewillson3
    Options
    250-300, My allowance for the day is 1430ish. I usually have old fashioned oats with maple syrup, cinnamon and blueberries and a black tea with a splash of almond milk :) I also like to spread my calories out. I try to eat about 200-250 calories for each meal and have about 6 meals per day.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    However many calories are in black coffee. For all intents and purposes, zero.
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I try to eat around 300 calories so I have at least 200 calories during the day for a snack or two. My calorie count is 1200 for a day.

whole wheat bagel and low fat cream cheese
    corn chex and almond milk
    toast and peanut butter
    (all the above with a little fruit)