Zimmerman vs. Martin

Options

Replies

• mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    lady, maybe you feel this way because you feel like you cant defend yourself in a fight....but for guys...losing a fight doesnt mean you kill someone.

It wasn't a bro fight over some girl. TM was slamming GZ's head against a sidewalk.

keep justifying the murder of a young man. im just glad this case will lead to tighter gun laws. get them out of the hands of wanna be cops like GZ.
    Tighter gun laws will only further protect the thugs from law-abiding citizens. Because I promise you I can go down to Atlanta right now and ILLEGALLY get my hands on ANY kind of gun I want from a revolver to a AR, any size magazine, etc........I will pay a PREMIUM price, but I PROMISE you I could get one!
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    No one is on the jury. No one knows all the facts.

Our neighborhood watch has been telling us for YEARS to NEVER follow anyone that you think is suspicious. Why would you do that? Obviously GZ wasn't scared. He had a loaded gun ready to shoot anything that moved.

There are wrongs all around. GZ should have never provoked TM. TM should have kept walking home. He shouldn't have attacked GZ. GZ should have put his balls on and fought back with his fist instead of firing his weapon. Who brings a gun to a fist fight? GZ wasn't some weak little man.

When it comes down to it, they both had a right to defend themselves.

If you don't think race has anything to do with it, you are naive. To think race is all of it, is ignorance.

Unless you are a black male that has been profiled for no reason whatsoever then you have no idea what it feels like. TM was probably thinking "here we go again. I'm sick of this crap." GZ was probably thinking "Oh here we go again. Another one of these black thugs walking around."

Have any of you been racially profiled? I bought a brand new car in 2011. Do you know how many times the police pulled me over on my way to work for stupid crap they made up? Broken tail light, expired tags (though they were still temp tags) no stickers in the window (even though they were brand new) the tint on the windows being dark (even though there is no tint whatsoever on any of my windows) The cop said "I must have passed a shady spot and he thought my windows were dark. O_O Finally when I started recording and told them I was reporting them to our borough for harassment and racial profiling, it stopped. When I had my old 2001 Mitsubishi I never got pulled over. Suddenly I buy a 2011 brand new car with no defects and I get pulled over 8 times in a month. Hmmm....

Martin had a right to defend himself against someone who was getting back in their car? WRONG. You can't defend yourself until there is something to defend yuorself from.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Getting out of your car ins't a crime. Following someone walking at night as a neighborhood watch isn't a crime. Stopping someone and asking them questions isn't a crime. ATTACKING some is a crime. Selling drugs is a crime. Stealing jewelry is a crime. Do we need to continue?

killing someone for losing a fight is a crime against humanity.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Reread it then, you obviously have a comprehension problem. This thread is full of racist comments. Oh he who will not see what is right before his eyes!

show me one then.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen one racist post in this entire thread. The only reason there is a trial is because of racism though. I hope for your son's sake that he is smarter than Martin and would react like a human being and not an animal to attack someone for asking him why he was walking through a neighborhood in 90* weather with a hoodie at 2am.

Treyvon is the animal? hes not the one that instigated this entire thing. if GZ had just stayed in his car this never would have happened. if anyone is an animal its GZ.

Getting out of your car ins't a crime. Following someone walking at night as a neighborhood watch isn't a crime. Stopping someone and asking them questions isn't a crime. ATTACKING some is a crime. Selling drugs is a crime. Stealing jewelry is a crime. Do we need to continue?

Martin was not committing those crimes at the time of the incident. Stalking IS a crime, and being a volunteer neighborhood watch does not put one above the law. All neighborhood watches are instructed by police to report suspicious activity NOT engage or attempt to apprehend!!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Third, this was a 6', 17 year old young man. Martin was hardly a 'child'. He was the one who came at Zimmerman first. He was beating the crap out of Zimmerman, the police photos and medical documents prove that.

Fourth, sorry but it was self-defense.

Size isn't the issue. Age is. Seventeen is a child. How mature were you at that age? I am the mother of an 18-year-old college student. I know her friends. They are still children.

As for self-defense/stand your ground, considering that Zimmerman was following Trayvon, couldn't the prosecution make a case that TRAYVON was standing his ground? Zimmerman is responsible by his actions for what happened. Now someone is dead. Had he at the very least remained in his vehicle, this would not have happened.

No because you can't stand your ground against someone walking behind you. Someone walking isn't a threat to your life. Beating your head into the ground is. You should really read up on laws.

Tell that to the person being followed for no reason at all. Have you ever been followed on a dark night to the point you were afraid for your life or well-being? Have you ever felt the need to defend yourself from that threat? In defending yourself, if at some point you end up on top, beating your pursuers head into the ground, do you deserve to be killed? What would you expect to happen to the person who followed you (causing the entire confrontation) and killed you?

There was an incident here a few years ago where a man was walking home from work after midnight. He was followed for several blocks by another man. Eventually, the second man (who was armed) got close enough to the man walking home and attempted to rob him. A struggled ensued and the would-be-robber was eventually over-powered by the would-be-victim. The victim put the robber in a choke hold and held him there until police arrived. The robber was pronounced dead at the scene. The victim wasn't charged as it was deemed self-defense. If the situation were slightly different and the victim (even after having the upper hand at one point) ended up stabbed, bleeding out and dead wouldn't you expect the robber to be charged to the fullest extent of the law? Does the fact that he was getting beat up suddenly make him the victim?? Does the fact the Zimmerman was getting beat up at one point make him any less of a threat to the person he was following?

This whole tragedy could have been avoided if he had stayed in his car as instructed.

Not related at all. You can defend yourself when someone does something, you can't attack them for following you. Take emotion out of it and look at facts.

It is related in the sense that the victim was followed and felt threatened in the first place. Sure, there ended up being an attempted robbery, but what if the robber ended up killing the victim? Is the robber supposed to say, "Yeah, I followed him for several blocks and tried to rob him. We fought and he was beating me up, so I stabbed him and he died."? It's more likely he would have left the scene or said the victim attacked him, which is what I think happened in Zimmerman's case...and of course, Martin isn't here to dispute it. THAT BEING SAID, I haven't been keeping up with the trial (I might be the only one who hasn't), so if I am incorrect in my thinking and there are FACTS to say otherwise, I'm sure someone here will enlighten me. I have no problem admitting that I've missed something or I'm wrong.

What emotion are you referring to?
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You can't chase someone down, then shoot when attacked and call it self-defense. He had no business following the kid. He was specifically told not to. He was trying to be a hero and it back-fired. He's guilty.
  • Anna_Joys_Journey
    Anna_Joys_Journey Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think Zimmerman was overcharged for sure.
    Do I think he committed a crime? Yes. Do I think it's murder? Nope.
    I think that it was sh*tty for NBC News to turn this into a race thing before that day even ended, and because they manipulated Zimmerman's 911 call, they have lost a huge amount of credibility.
    I think that Zimmerman has been characterized as a racist, which I do not believe. Is he a overzealous *kitten* that took the law into his own hands, abso-f'ing-lutely.
    I believe that Al Sharpton is feeding the machine by talking mainly about race.
    I believe that Jesse Jackson is feeding the machine by talking mainly about race.
    I truly believe that if Zimmerman is found not guilty, that there will be riots.

I cannot wait until the day that Jesse and Al are too old to stand on their soapboxes and take advantage of families that are grieving. Wherever there's a camera, a little injustice (warranted or not), and a black mother crying, you will def see one of them standing next to her. Where are they when it comes to black on black crime? WHY DOES THAT NOT MATTER TO THEM???

Where are the rally's, walks, protests...etc, in Chicago?! There were 67 people shot, and 11 of them dead over this July 4th holiday weekend. 67 shot, 11 dead.

As of 7/8/13, there have been 1043 people shot in Chicago. That number would be absolutely ridiculous if it was state wide...but it's just in one city!!

Where are the 'leaders' of the black community'? They'd rather get in front of the camera for 1 dead kid that was shot by a Hispanic guy (yep...he's not white, but the media likes to portray him to be. It makes a better story), than go a bit north to see what they can do to stop the bull$hit that's happening in Chicago. The camera's are in Sanford, FL, not in Chicago, IL.

It is very, very sad what has happened to Trayvon Martin. I have a son, and cannot imagine the hurt the family is going through. But I can't see how anyone that is not sitting in this courtroom, day after day, can say that they hope the verdict goes one way or the other. What is that based on. You only know what you've heard on TV and what has been told to you by the media. The only people that can judge this correctly based on ALL THE FACTS, is the jury.

(me thinks I've probably pissed some people off....so I offer to them, a flower :flowerforyou: )

YES!!!!! 1,000 thumbs up!
  • moosegt35
    Options
    It actually does, its the law pretty much anywhere in the USA. Especially for fights you didn't start.

lady, maybe you feel this way because you feel like you cant defend yourself in a fight....but for guys...losing a fight doesnt mean you kill someone.

Im not a lady and "fights" are illegal. Bashing someone's head into the ground isn't a fight, it's attempted murder. Go do it to someone and see what you get charged with. Geez you are dumb.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    I think that it was sh*tty for NBC News to turn this into a race thing before that day even ended, and because they manipulated Zimmerman's 911 call, they have lost a huge amount of credibility.
    I think that Zimmerman has been characterized as a racist, which I do not believe. Is he a overzealous *kitten* that took the law into his own hands, abso-f'ing-lutely.
    I believe that Jesse Jackson is feeding the machine by talking mainly about race.
    I truly believe that if Zimmerman is found not guilty, that there will be riots.

I cannot wait until the day that Jesse and Al are too old to stand on their soapboxes and take advantage of families that are grieving. Wherever there's a camera, a little injustice (warranted or not), and a black mother crying, you will def see one of them standing next to her. Where are they when it comes to black on black crime? WHY DOES THAT NOT MATTER TO THEM???

Where are the rally's, walks, protests...etc, in Chicago?! There were 67 people shot, and 11 of them dead over this July 4th holiday weekend. 67 shot, 11 dead.

As of 7/8/13, there have been 1043 people shot in Chicago. That number would be absolutely ridiculous if it was state wide...but it's just in one city!!

Where are the 'leaders' of the black community'? They'd rather get in front of the camera for 1 dead kid that was shot by a Hispanic guy (yep...he's not white, but the media likes to portray him to be. It makes a better story), than go a bit north to see what they can do to stop the bull$hit that's happening in Chicago. The camera's are in Sanford, FL, not in Chicago, IL.

It is very, very sad what has happened to Trayvon Martin. I have a son, and cannot imagine the hurt the family is going through. But I can't see how anyone that is not sitting in this courtroom, day after day, can say that they hope the verdict goes one way or the other. What is that based on. You only know what you've heard on TV and what has been told to you by the media. The only people that can judge this correctly based on ALL THE FACTS, is the jury.

(me thinks I've probably pissed some people off....so I offer to them, a flower :flowerforyou: )

^ This is one of very few well reasoned opinions I've seen in this thread. I wish more people would allow the ACTUAL facts to be analyzed and a reasoned decision to be made. Whatever decision the jury makes, at least it will be made by a group of people who sat there and carefully listened to both sides of the story rather than participating in the media circus that this trial has unfortunately become. The personal agendas represented in this thread are a terrifying reminder of how far we as a country still have to go to the point where we see each other as individuals and not representatives of our races.

:flowerforyou:
  • simplyshannal
    simplyshannal Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    @Laces_0ut -Childish response at best!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I'm just fascinated by how many people are ignoring the fact that it was Martin who attacked Zimmerman while he was getting BACK in his car and the growing amount of evidence and testimonies from the police and reports that support Zimmerman's story. :noway:
    Facts are facts.

History is written by the winners. Two people know what happened that day, even if both were alive they would tell a different story of the same altercation.

Martin's fault is clearly walking in a neighborhood where he doesn't belong late at night, because if he was a white middle aged woman who maced a creepy guy following her and then bashed his head in the pavement (she lifts heavy and of Icelandic ancestry) and he shot her, this whole ordeal would've been different.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    if you have been followed and that person is going back to their car...they could being going for a gun in their glove compartment...maybe treyvon didnt want to give him that chance.

GZ should have never got out of his car. if he wants to play wanna be cop..he should have called it in and just sat there.

This shows you really know nothing about this case...
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I would be surprised if he's found guilty.
  • crzydjm
    crzydjm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Being stupid is not a crime and from what Ive seen and read Zimmerman, should never have been charged. There is not enough evidence to even support a manslaughter charge.

His trial is all about politics and trying to appease the black community, and that really scares me.

What he said.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My children have a white grandmother, so come again, think of something else
    It would be extremely helpful if you would use the quote feature, so that we know who/what you're responding to.

Ignorance causes one to not know what they are saying or doing.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

Wait. Hispanic people can't be white? ...are you sure about that?

Cause I swear the little race boxes say "White, non hispanic" and "Black, non hispanic" which seems to imply you could be, you know, both. Probably because Hispanic *isn't* a race.

I'm sorry, I'm not talking about filling out a form. I'm talking about the media and how they like to use words to fit into their story. Of course Hispanics can be white. But if you listen to the talking heads, they go out of their way to not call him Hispanic (or brown).

Now, Al Sharpton has a commercial running on MSNBC that talks about equal justice for all. It all stems from the gay marriage debate, but his wording goes something like 'whether you're black, white, brown, straight or gay'. So since he's saying brown in his commercial (we all know that means Hispanic, don't we?), why can't he call Zimmerman brown when he's talking about him and the trial. Let's not call him White Al...let's call him Brown!
  • moosegt35
    Options
    I'm just fascinated by how many people are ignoring the fact that it was Martin who attacked Zimmerman while he was getting BACK in his car and the growing amount of evidence and testimonies from the police and reports that support Zimmerman's story. :noway:
    Facts are facts.

if you have been followed and that person is going back to their car...they could being going for a gun in their glove compartment...maybe treyvon didnt want to give him that chance.

GZ should have never got out of his car. if he wants to play wanna be cop..he should have called it in and just sat there.

If that's the case I should be able to beat anyone up who is getting into theri car or reaching into their pocket if they are close to me. I mean hey, they could be going for a gun, can't give them that chance. Lol
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    It actually does, its the law pretty much anywhere in the USA. Especially for fights you didn't start.

Im not a lady and "fights" are illegal. Bashing someone's head into the ground isn't a fight, it's attempted murder. Go do it to someone and see what you get charged with. Geez you are dumb.

sorry thought you were the lady in your pic.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

This shows you really know nothing about this case...

lol like you know any more.