Breastfeeding in Public....

Options

Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Before I had a child, I was kinda "meh" about the whole thing. But after having her and doing exclusive breastfeeding for 13 months, I've seen how important it is to be able to breastfeed wherEVER. There's no telling an infant "sshhh down now. We're in a public place so you'll have to wait until we get home. In the meantime, here's a confusing bottle nipple or pacifier." Yeah, that's much easier said than done as I found out. And supplementing with formula is not only not always the answer, but not even possible for some babies. Mine had a severe protein allergy and couldn't have tolerated any formula besides the crazy expensive amino-based formula that smells like pure *kitten*. And pumping sucks.

So... yay.

:smile:
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I don't even understand this debate honestly. Babies need to eat. I don't eat in a bathroom and I wouldn't expect a mom to have to feed a baby in the bathroom. With that said, when I've done so, I've always been very discreet and covered as well as I could.

Exactly
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    For the ump-teen billionth time...I am a man...this does not matter to me either way...I don't care if a woman chooses to do so or not. It's not my choice.

If you choose to do so, and if someone is staring, you have my permission to effectively kick that person in the box...hard.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I don't find breasts obscene nursing or not.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    There should be no discussion.
    It is nobody else's f'n business.
    Babies need to eat. A LOT!
    If you have a problem with it, it is YOUR problem and not the mother trying to feed her child.
    You feel uncomfortable? Turn and look somewhere else.
  • projectvanity
    Options
    I, personally, couldn't breastfeed in public, I would feel to exposed even with a covering. But, if other people are find with it fine. I plan on breastfeeding at home and pumping for times when I'm out and about.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    There should be no discussion.
    It is nobody else's f'n business.
    Babies need to eat. A LOT!
    If you have a problem with it, it is YOUR problem and not the mother trying to feed her child.
    You feel uncomfortable? Turn and look somewhere else.

I f'n love you!
  • scrummy92
    scrummy92 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't get mad at someone if they were eating a sandwich in public, so why shouldn't a child who is still weaning be able to be fed?
  • obeseandsassy
    Options
    it makes me so sad that this is still a debate.

the answer is 'don't like it, don't look', which is the same response i employ for fat girls in bikinis (biased? me? no way) and people who wear crocs.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People say to go into the bathroom. Yeah, because everyone is going to love us after we took up the toilet stall for 30 minutes.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

And if anyone happens to look at me whilst I'm breastfeeding and think or even say 'that's disgusting' or if they think something sexual of me breastfeeding my baby, well, they're the ones with the problem, not me.

By the way, as I am breastfeeding my baby sitting inside the entrance to that restaurant I will just smile at you as walk by with a disgusted look on your face, and think to myself how sad it is that you've been so badly brainwashed by society that you think that feeding a baby the natural way in public is somehow inappropriate.

LOL if anyone ever says "that's disgusting" turn around and squirt them. Then say, "I am so sorry it slipped."
  • t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Options
    yes discreatly.. there's no need to whip them right out though! TOO MANY PERVS! I'd end up poking someones eyes out :tongue:

i breast fed mine and chose to always plan my day around feeds so i could go somewhere private and cuddle up, (not the toilets and baby changing rooms, i went to do that once and its discusting ) its important to look into your babies eyes when feeding, part of the bonding. Plus i was scared of suffocating them ha!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Meh, I try, but most of the women just sort of freak out and run.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    all for it... and any legislators who enact laws making it illegal should be automatically impeached and stripped of their rights to become parents.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Doesn't affect my day-to-day life, but at least pretend to be discreet. And don't be all militant with the "WTF RU looking at?!" response! (I wasn't the target, but have witnessed it) ...

I have told people to take pictures. I mean, it's one think to notice. It's another thing to glare, sneer, or stare. In which case, yes, WTF R U Looking at? EVER SEE A BOOB BEFORE? There's an adult magazine store around the corner that might have more of what you are looking for.

16 year old boys are not allowed to buy them.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I just think it's funny; I bet it's those same parents worry about a strip club existing within city limits that say it's fine to breastfeed in public. Hmmm...

I travel a lot and unfortunately, see a lot of unwanted boob.

Did you say strip club? :tongue:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Yay, I was always discrete, but if I'm allowed to eat when I'm hungry so was my kid.

The only issue I see has nothing to do with nature, but instead with the over sexualizing of everything. Boobs are nice, but their primary purpose is the feeding of kids, not motor boating (not saying motor boating is a bad thing, just saying that's not what they were made for). To me it's like saying licking hot fudge off an ice cream cone in public is inappropriate because I've used it in foreplay.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I like, so I look. The mom usually ends up more uncomfortable than me.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why this is an issue.
  • ljdborton
    ljdborton Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    it is a beautiful thing! getting to nourish our sweet little babies how God intended (nothing against bottle fed AT ALL- I was only able to nurse my first born for 7 weeks:() but society has made it an unnatural thing and sexualized it.... it is simple...your sweet baby is hungry and so you feed them... I always kept them close, and was never flopped out:) I never not fed them because I was in public... it is a beautiful thing, just let the mommas be mommas and fed thier young...bottle or breast:)
This discussion has been closed.