Things that suck about losing weight...

Options

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I would like it if my friends would acknowledge that I've lost weight. No one says a thing. Complete strangers compliment me on how I look, say that I must exercise, ask if I'm a dancer. My friends and family say absolutely nothing.
  • amanda3jam
    amanda3jam Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you could get a little more support from him, at least until things get easier for you!!! We're here for you, stay strong!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    the worst is being inbetween underwear sizes. having your undies fall down inside your pants or be way too tight is not cool.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    1. finding ways to afford new clothes
    2. avoiding weird comments from weird co-workers
    3. the feeling of being "in between"...not quite lost the weight...still working on it...

Definitely all of this.

My biggest complaint though is dealing with people who act like I've accomplished the greatest possible thing by losing weight, or asking questions like "How does it feel to have all that off? Do you feel amazing??" No. I don't really feel any different. Save for about 6 months when my weight was truly out of hand and I felt sluggish and out of breath, I've felt energetic and fabulous my whole life. So it's insulting. Also, I've never based my entire happiness and self-worth on weight/size...thank goodness, or I would have been miserable and probably would always be. So it's just weird to talk with people who seem to believe that happiness is directly proportional to size and weight loss is the key to everything.

edited to add: Although I've lost 26 lb on MFP, I lost about 40 prior to that so some people are referring to my total weight loss, of course, not just the 26 lb.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I would like it if my friends would acknowledge that I've lost weight. No one says a thing. Complete strangers compliment me on how I look, say that I must exercise, ask if I'm a dancer. My friends and family say absolutely nothing.

I've had the same issue with about 1/4 of my family and friends. It is obnoxious to me! I also have had comments of people asking me if I play college sports (I am clearly 36 yrs old LOL! But they were serious!)...or if I played sports in the past. I definitely take it as a compliment!
  • Connie5674
    Connie5674 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can relate to the clothes thing
    I get tired of having to defend my choice to eat healthy and lose weight by friends who want me to eat with them
    I had to have breast reduction surgery so the more boob that goes - the happier my neck and shoulders are - I had big boobs my whole life and never understood why anyone would want them as dress/blouses don't fit, you have to wear mega strong bras to halfway hold them in place, they bounce up and black your eyes when you're trying to run or exercise, you can't wear cute strapless because there is NOTHING I can afford on earth that will hold them up even if you could find something that they'd fit in.
    Are you losing weight to be healthy or to get attention and be sexy? Looks and boobs fade with age - focus on the healthy aspects because once you're older, it matters a WHOLE LOT MORE.
  • Connie5674
    Connie5674 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the guilt to - but if I squelch it and have the ice cream or whatever, then I can't STOP
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The things that really suck?

1. Always being asked "Did you mean to lose all that weight?"
    2. Being asked "Are you sure you're ok; you're not ill ... are you?"
    3. Giving all your favourite clothes to charity and not liking the new ones as much even though they're way smaller.
    4. The residual belly skin / flab ... whatever it is.

But worst of all the following true story ... meeting an occasional colleague (the sort you see occasionally at seminars and stuff), and them saying to you after about 10 minutes chatting ... "Well, I'll shake your hand now I know you're ok; you look like an AIDS victim."

God job they had their young granddaughter with them or I'd have really lost my cool!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I always preferred small breasts, and so does my husband, so bra size is a non-issue. It's sad when women beat themselves up about something that we have absolutely no control over, short of having surgery that carries various risks and possible complications.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    probably the ONLY benefit of gaining weight, was that my boobs looked fabulous! i loveee being thinner, but i loved how my girls looked when i was overweight! but a little push-up nowadays def doesn't hurt!

and i shop like crazy! i've always been a crazy shopper though because i love it! i buy mainly tops and dresses. but since most of my clothes have a little stretch, or are meant to hang a little loose, when i lose more weight, they'll still fit! =D and most of my tops/dresses can be belted in to look super cute and flow-y when i finally lose this last 20 lbs!

considering this was the biggest i ever got, i still have all my clothes leading up to this point! so i've got lots of jeans and tops and dresses that i would DIE to fit into again! but it's gonna make me really sad when my 2-3 pairs of favorite but expensive fat girl jeans don't fit anymore. =(
    I agree I love looking for tops at the thrift stores. I love to look for tops that are soft, pretty/unique patterns, and ones that feel a bit silky.
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I have the problem of being cold all the time as well. I haven't had that problem lately, as it is summer, but in the cooler months I am cooler than everyone else. Having gone down a pant size and not having the scale move much is probably the hardest for me. I went from a 16 to a 14 and had to buy new clothes, but the scale hasn't moved much even though I have been exercising 4-5 times a week for at least 30-45 mins. Am I toning? Is the weight shifting?
  • pkteen
    pkteen Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Here's mine- people telling me that I "don't need to lose any more weight."

I get this all the time and it drives me crazy.

Exactly!

For me, the only thing has been the fact that I'm in between. I'm not very fat and im not fit either so it's frustrating...
    And I have gynecomastia which takes quite a toll on me. I'm having gynecomastia surgery this tuesday though. Really happy about that. The second thing, for me has been that i'm losing fat all over but I'm losing my belly fat very slowly so need to work on that otherwise, I've started resistance training so loose skin won't be a problem...
  • marhod5
    marhod5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

5. The regret of not having lived this way years ago. My size did keep me from doing some really cool stuff in the past.

This one hit home for me. My weight has limited my life. Here's to no more regrets!
  • Khushi22
    Khushi22 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I like your perspective! :)

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have the problem of being cold all the time as well. I haven't had that problem lately, as it is summer, but in the cooler months I am cooler than everyone else. Having gone down a pant size and not having the scale move much is probably the hardest for me. I went from a 16 to a 14 and had to buy new clothes, but the scale hasn't moved much even though I have been exercising 4-5 times a week for at least 30-45 mins. Am I toning? Is the weight shifting?
    I

I'm glad it's not just me. I am cold all of the time. It's nearly 30C here now, and I still find the wind chilly!
  • thatdude3
    thatdude3 Posts: 33
    Options
    I only have two complaints about losing weight. First it gets expensive on a couple of different levels, buying new clothes every 6 weeks or so and buying healthier foods ...... I totally understand why people end up overweight in this country and part of it is because it is very expensive to eat in a healthy way. My second compliant is being cold all the time, it is the middle of summer and I have to wear a darn hoodie to keep warm when I am at work.
  • TomDonis
    TomDonis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I work in liquor retail so I see hundreds of people a day, and the same people regularly. I've been on a diet for 8 months. Some people have been following along with me from day one, others noticed soon after, but others are still only just noticing the difference now. Considering I've lost over 70 pounds I guess it is quite a shock to some. Here is a sample of what I get asked.

1. "Have you lost weight?"

2. "Oh, you shouldn't lose any more." Thanks for the advice. No one was there to help me when I was a behemoth, but now you all know what is good for me. Thanks guys.

3. "Tell me your secret".

4. "Are you sick? Do you have cancer or AIDS?"

But I am happy to talk to people about it, and help a few out where possible.

The things I find most annoying besides the silly questions are....

* My clothes all hang on me. I buy new stuff and then a month later it doesn't fit.

* Still wont let myself have a cheat meal despite reaching my initial goal weight.

* Trying to get this belly flat. It looks great when I first wake up in the morning.

First world problems. Nothing to complain about really. I never thought I'd be squeezing my (now small) butt into size 32 jeans.

I love my life now...

34326486.png
  • Yammy001
    Options
    the worst is being inbetween underwear sizes. having your undies fall down inside your pants or be way too tight is not cool.

I feel your pain, that's where I'm at right now!!! Maybe time to go comando till something fits right:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was already cold all the time but after I lost weight it was even worse. And not being able to find any pants to fit. I'm a size 0. (I had enough trouble when I was a 6/8 but now it's much worse).
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Well I've just started my journey and honestly - I want to lose these boobs and I wish I was cold all the time. My fat boobs drive me nuts. I used to be a 34A and am now a 40B and although still very small, I hate them. I miss my mosquito bites and they looked just fine on my 130 lb frame. And being cold... I sweat all the time now. It's embarrassing and humiliating when I'm sweating buckets and nobody else feels hot. It's clearly from my thick layer of insulating fat.

I won't enjoy looking for new clothes, but I'd be so happy to get out of the size I'm in now.

Congrats to everyone on this post who has lost weight!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!