Most ridiculous serving size?

Options

Replies

• RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb I've found with serving sizes is that it's ok to double it potentially (as if you have gone back for "seconds") but don't have three times the serving at a sitting.

Otherwise there tend to be pretty good reasons why the serving size on certain things are quite small. I'm very glad for the "serving" information on packages. It helps me a lot to gauge how much of something I'll have.

I completely agree!
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Looking at a box of cookies last night, one servicing size was 7 1/2 cookies...little, itty, bitty cookies (think animal cracker size). Who would just eat 1/2 a cookie.

Cereal is the one I can't do. I was one of those growing up that would use an old butter tub for a cereal bowl. 1 little cup as a serving size...can't do it.

YUP Cereal is a *kitten*! One cup! ONE! One freakin cup is supposed to do the trick?! NO! I REFUSE! Must..have..two..or..more..

I know! My food diary always says 3-5 servings of cereal! Mmmm!
  • paigeslims
    paigeslims Posts: 25
    Options
    Or maybe I'm a pig and just like big portions
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    These are too funny. I agree with them (although I admit that I now only eat 0.5 of the Ramon noodle brick...)
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nwatrous
    nwatrous Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I bought a square frozen pizza once that was 5 servings. Who cuts a square into 5 pieces!

Also, the amusement park giant lolly-pop that was 10 servings. Come on 9 friends! Let's all take turns licking! Haha.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup of ice cream! Who eats that much?
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Potato

Bag says, serving size is 1 medium potato (148g).

None smaller than 187g in 4 bags used thus far.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    They just do that so that it appears that their product doesn't have a ridculous amount of calories. They know you'll probably eat / drink the whole thing if you see 100 calories, but that you may pass up even buying it if they put 250 calories on the package, so they call it "2.5 servings". It's just a marketing ploy to get you to buy their stuff. Totally misleading. It's really annoying when it's something in an itty-bitty "snack-sized" package and it shows more than one serving. Total crap.

Exactly this ^^^^^ but I basically agree with every single one that people have mentioned.

I don't drink much else than water, but typically on race days I will have some sort of sports drink or energy chews or something of that sort. It's a single serve package/container but has multiple servings...FRUSTRATING!!!!!
  • Songbirdcw
    Options
    So my top 5 so far are:

1. Poptarts
    2. Pizza
    3. Cereal
    4. Fig Newtons
    5. 1/2 cup of ice cream (1 cup is way more sensible)

So now that we are in agreement, what are we going to do about this? Are we writing letters to each of these food companies demanding that they:
    a) distribute their products in serving sizes only
    b) demanding whole numbers only for serving sizes? (None of this 1/2 a cookie 1/2 a cup crap)

I'm so down! :wink:
  • Songbirdcw
    Options
    PAM cooking spray for the win!!!!

pam-nutrition.jpg

1/3 second spray? really? WTF?

That...... That is amazing. Absolutely amazing. Start your stopwatches!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Okay, that tops all ridiculous serving sizes! :huh:
  • SteviMcEwan
    Options
    I think 30g of cereal is ridiculous lol. I'm used to a lovely big bowl of cereal for brekkie and this 30g is killing me
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I was actually complaining about this earlier. I bought a 3 oz. bag of Stacy's Pita Chips, and I quickly glanced at the nutrition label which said 140 calories. I thought ok, I'll eat about half with my sandwich and save the rest for later.

Upon further inspection, it was 140 calories for 9 chips. I was somewhat annoyed, but I see far worse examples on this thread so I guess I can't really complain too much.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I gotta agree on the cereal serving sizes - they are a joke. The ones I've seen often say LESS than a cup (I've seen many "3/4 cup serving". The only brand that gives a decent serving size is probably Kashi GoLean. I'd rather eat 200 calories and be full than eat 80 and be hungry in 30 minutes!

Had it wrrrroooooong for yeeeeeaaarrsss... I always thought the serving size went as follows (cereal+bowl+spoon+milk=fun time)
    A box would last me two days MAYBE 3.

May I make one small change?

Cereal+largest bowl in the house+spoon+milk=fun time

I can't even imagine how much cereal contributed to my weight gain lol
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Realized at the end of boot camp class last night that my powerade was 80 calories per serving, with the 32 ounce bottle holding 2-1/2 servings of 12 ounces each... 12 + 12 = 24... and another half of one... so + 6... = 30... wait that's not right... so actually 2-2/3 servings at 80 calories... so ~213 calories?... or is it 200 calories?... um, what. the. hell.

I know it isn't that much of a difference, but when at the beginning I thought I was only devoting 80 calories to that bottle, only to find out it was 200 (or more??), the extra little bit was just a little bit too much for me to handle!!!
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese with sweet chilli dip and 5 crakers.
    Its one of those made to eat on the go thing.
    2.5 serving per container. Its not something you cang share withnone else as u neede to doublt dip the cracker.
  • jaecamp1
    jaecamp1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine and Stouffers frozen meals. I got one for me and the other for my kids one day. Same exact thing in the package. The only difference? The Stouffers had one serving per container, the Lean Cuisine one and a half. Exact same if you just ate the whole container of six.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I made rice last night and thought I'd try the actual serving suggestion, which is 1/2 cup. I put it in my bowl and just looked at it and laughed. Then I put in another half cup and my additions to complete my meal. It fit into my macros so no problem there. I just wonder who the hell comes up with these portion sizes.

I guess if you're using the rice as a side...it might make sense. But my meal was kind of a deconstructed fried rice, so it was the centerpiece of the dish.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The cream cookies .. oreos, snack well's, whichever .. serving size 3 cookies = 100+ cals
    I can never stop at 3 cookies .. especially when milk in involved.

Ha! Sounds like me!
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts. 2 come in the pack. Serving size is 1. What sane person eats pop tarts?

Fixed that typo for you. :tongue:

^^ this - have to agree :bigsmile: