Eating Clean - No Such Thing

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    But! you will not get the same results you would get if you ate "clean" (cutting out the processed crap)... I dont care who you are..

*pics deleted for space*
    I'm not the only one who disproves your claim.

Your pics don't technically disprove the claim. The post didn't say you couldn't get results. It said you will not get the same results. So, unless you returned to your original size / shape and ate clean, the claim can not be proven or disproven.

You can't possibly know that either. You can't prove his results would be any different without returning him to the same weight and having him eat "clean".

Um, yeah. Isn't that what I just said?

Sorry, skimmed. So because it can't be proven or disproven that you can't get better results one way or another why wouldn't anyone want to choose the one where they are more likely to succeed long term? *shrugs*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    But! you will not get the same results you would get if you ate "clean" (cutting out the processed crap)... I dont care who you are..

*pics deleted for space*

Your pics don't technically disprove the claim. The post didn't say you couldn't get results. It said you will not get the same results. So, unless you returned to your original size / shape and ate clean, the claim can not be proven or disproven.

Which results do you think would have been improved? The body composition, where I lost 12 lbs of fat while gaining 0.5 lb of lean mass? Or maybe the cholesterol, where every measure improved significantly, bringing everything from borderline to optimal? As far as I can tell, my results are about as good as could possibly be expected for a 32 year old male.

I didn't say I thought anything would have improved. What I or anyone else thinks would also not prove or disprove the statement.

Right. Sure.

The images and data posted prove pretty conclusively that the quoted poster's claim is bunk. To anyone who doesn't just really WANT them to be false, at any rate.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

*pics deleted for space*

Which results do you think would have been improved? The body composition, where I lost 12 lbs of fat while gaining 0.5 lb of lean mass? Or maybe the cholesterol, where every measure improved significantly, bringing everything from borderline to optimal? As far as I can tell, my results are about as good as could possibly be expected for a 32 year old male.

I didn't say I thought anything would have improved. What I or anyone else thinks would also not prove or disprove the statement.

Right. Sure.

The images and data posted prove pretty conclusively that the quoted poster's claim is bunk. To anyone who doesn't just really WANT them to be false, at any rate.

Can you explain how you proved that your results would the same had you eaten clean?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

You can't possibly know that either. You can't prove his results would be any different without returning him to the same weight and having him eat "clean".

For that you would need something like, a control, perhaps?

That kind of thinking will never catch on....

His results are very good though, without doubt.
  • Joniboloney
    Joniboloney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you dropped your hotdog in the sand at the beach, would it not be dirty?

But of course, but I would still call the 5 second rule!! Little dirt never killed anybody.... :drinker:

My momma always told me, "we all gonna eat 5 lbs of dirt before we die. Might as well enjoy it! :drinker:
  • roflsauce
    roflsauce Posts: 21
    Options
    I don't understand the OP at all. What does food making you fat have to do with clean eating?

Hah!
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    All I know is, after reading these myriad threads on the clean-eating wars, that MFP is not a place where you will be supported in doing what works for you. If I am eating in a way that is different from you, I suppose I should keep that to myself before I am attacked for being ignorant and told that I should do it a different way. Better I close my diary before someone discovers that I lean towards clean eating or that I eat too dirty. Why is this a "debate"? Why does OP even care? Is he (or any of you) a doctor or scientist that has stumbled upon some universal truth that applies to all of us? Regardless of your side, believing your answer is the one that is invariably "right" for the rest of the 7 billion people on the planet is arrogant. Support one another is whatever he/she discovers works and is doable.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    His results are very good though, without doubt.

Agree 100% Very impressive.
  • candizz92
    candizz92 Posts: 1
    Options
    Um ya it's even more critical that farmers are
    Genetically modifying organisms for produce to allure CLEAN EATERS. Silk soy beans organic goods cheap foods breast milk. This organism causes long time defects. Cancer diabetes infertility & so much more. Check out The Non-GMO Project...
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options
    All I know is, after reading these myriad threads on the clean-eating wars, that MFP is not a place where you will be supported in doing what works for you. If I am eating in a way that is different from you, I suppose I should keep that to myself before I am attacked for being ignorant and told that I should do it a different way. Better I close my diary before someone discovers that I lean towards clean eating or that I eat too dirty. Why is this a "debate"?

^^^ This.

(And as far as I can tell, it would be a mistake to call this a 'debate.' It seems like bunch of very, very determined people talking at or passed one another with the belief that if they repeat something just one more time they'll 'win.')
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    All I know is, after reading these myriad threads on the clean-eating wars, that MFP is not a place where you will be supported in doing what works for you. If I am eating in a way that is different from you, I suppose I should keep that to myself before I am attacked for being ignorant and told that I should do it a different way. Better I close my diary before someone discovers that I lean towards clean eating or that I eat too dirty. Why is this a "debate"?

^^^ This.

(And as far as I can tell, it would be a mistake to call this a 'debate.' It seems like bunch of very, very determined people talking at or passed one another with the belief that if they repeat something just one more time they'll 'win.')

Thanks, buddy. I'm glad there is at least one of you out there!
  • jonnythan
    Options

^^^ This.

What it's really about is helping people succeed. I see four things that disturb me:

1) People that are new and under the impression that they need to "eat clean" in order to achieve their goals. These people often decide to completely abstain from many of their favorite foods and therefore often become 2s.

2) People that have gained back weight that they have previously lost because they made unsustainable changes in their diet. They eventually gave in to their desires and indulged in a banned food, feel they have failed themselves, and rapidly fall back into their old eating patterns and put the weight right back on.

3) People who have had some success eating clean but still have a lot of weight to lose and are excited about their changes and progress. These people are often the most vocal about the benefits of clean eating and the quickest to deny the successes others have had without eating clean.

4) Relatively elite people who are often professionals of some kind in the industry who stand to make money by selling their methods and results. They often use fear tactics to scare people into "clean."
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options

^^^ This.

What it's really about is helping people succeed. I see four things that disturb me:

1) People that are new and under the impression that they need to "eat clean" in order to achieve their goals. These people often decide to completely abstain from many of their favorite foods and therefore often become 2s.

2) People that have gained back weight that they have previously lost because they made unsustainable changes in their diet. They eventually gave in to their desires and indulged in a banned food, feel they have failed themselves, and rapidly fall back into their old eating patterns and put the weight right back on.

3) People who have had some success eating clean but still have a lot of weight to lose and are excited about their changes and progress. These people are often the most vocal about the benefits of clean eating and the quickest to deny the successes others have had without eating clean.

4) Relatively elite people who are often professionals of some kind in the industry who stand to make money by selling their methods and results. They often use fear tactics to scare people into "clean."
    QFT
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

^^^ This.

I know its a crazy concept, but sometimes people actually care about what they decide to put into their bodies. A lot of people don't want to survive on just protein bars and fast food everyday, or sustain themselves on a protein bar just so they have enough calories to eat some Wendy's. I'm sure I'll be attacked for this statement but weight loss in not always everyones only goal. You can be skinny and still be "unhealthy".

I realize you can meet your macros on fast food, but is there any emphasis at all on getting a proper amount of nutrients and vitamins, besides the ones you get from your multi vitamin in the morning or protein shake?

Please read:This is more directed to the poster above after reading his food dairy.
  • jonnythan
    Options

^^^ This.

I know its a crazy concept, but sometimes people actually care about what they decide to put into their bodies. A lot of people don't want to survive on just protein bars and fast food everyday, or sustain themselves on a protein bar just so they have enough calories to eat some Wendy's. I'm sure I'll be attacked for this statement but weight loss in not always everyones only goal. You can be skinny and still be "unhealthy".

I realize you can meet your macros on fast food, but is there any emphasis at all on getting a proper amount of nutrients and vitamins, besides the ones you get from your multi vitamin in the morning or protein shake?

Please read:This is more directed to the poster above after reading his food dairy.

This is about giving people the freedom to eat the foods they love and feel good about it.

As opposed to your approach which is to make them so scared of this toxic food that they feel like failures for eating something not "clean."
  • Laac68
    Laac68 Posts: 55
    Options
    when was the last anyone saw an obese person who eats clean?

Obese people are obese because they are eating above their daily calorie intake. Not because of what they eat. Seriously..... I give up.

I have lost track at how many of these threads that are created on clean eating vs processed foods or whole foods, whatever each one carries their own beliefs. Just stay true to what you know and what works for you.
  • FitnessBeverlyHills
    Options

^^^ This.

This is about giving people the freedom to eat the foods they love and feel good about it.

As opposed to your approach which is to make them so scared of this toxic food that they feel like failures for eating something not "clean."

Thats not really "My Approach" at all. I don't tell anyone to NEVER eat fast food, but I would advice against not eating it everyday because its not the most nutrients dense food and I think aside from obtaining your macro's, its also important to get nutrients and vitamins through your food. I personally think there is a lot to be said for getting nutrients and vitamins from actual food sources than just taking a multi vitamin as an excuse to not put any fruits and vegetables in your diet. If anything my approach is a well balanced diet. I consume food that is not so nutrients dense probably 90% of the time, but I also make sure I eat enough fruits, vegetables, fish, meats, legumes, nuts ect.. to get my vitamins and nutrients. Not to mention if I ate that much fast food I would be sick to my stomach and be sluggish all day.

Now the entire Mcdonalds thing is just its own issue. This is why I refer to Mcdonalds burgers as not real food, I'll stick to some In and Out burger =)

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/01/31/10282876-mcdonalds-drops-use-of-gooey-ammonia-based-pink-slime-in-hamburger-meat?lite
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "clean" food? Eating clean just means eating foods that are as close to their natural state as possible. It excludes fast foods, processed foods, etc. That's all. It really is a term.

This. I don't eat clean for weight loss, I eat clean for the long-term health benefits.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In my experience:
    Eating lots of foods high in micro nutrients/high gi (or is low, the 'good' one :)) helps you to be healthy.

Exercising lots helps you to be healthy.

Eating purely these foods and exercising lots doesn't make you noticeably healthier than just exercising, unless you're particularly low in micro-nutrients anyway.

Exercising lots has other benefits not obtainable through eating.

Proponents of 'clean eating' - understand that it's considered acceptable to criticise 'fad diets' on here generally.
    Often the criticism is that there's no scientific basis for it to work above basic calorie in vs calorie out.
    So perhaps it's worth 'defending' your position with some scientific evidence :).
  • LAW_714
    LAW_714 Posts: 258
    Options

2) People that have gained back weight that they have previously lost because they made unsustainable changes in their diet. They eventually gave in to their desires and indulged in a banned food, feel they have failed themselves, and rapidly fall back into their old eating patterns and put the weight right back on...

The earth thanks you for your efforts to save it.

http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=2242