How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• xbrittney90
    xbrittney90 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    How do you know when to repeat a week and when to move on? I just finished week 1, day 2 and while I can run every time, by the 6th run I am pretty much done but I keep going anyway. I just don't know if I should repeat week 1 again or move on to week 2... running a minute and a half seems like a daunting task lol.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I've tried this program 2x and have dropped off both times. The thing is I hate running but think its going to be the only catalyst to lose some weight. How can I push past the Hating running thing?

Last time I tried this (about 12 years ago) I decided that I hated running and gave it up at about week 3 or 4. The thing that's making the difference this time is music! There are studies that show that exercising to music helps increase effort put in by about 12%.

This time I'm using podcasts with music and a voice prompt telling me when to walk & when to run. The music isn't always my taste but it distracts me from feeling rough as I crawl along the pavement and masks the sounds of my feet slapping and my breath labouring. If I try to run without it now, I'm aware of all these things and they're off-putting.

Following the trainer's instructions liberates me from watching the clock too, so I can focus on getting to the next corner, that patch of shade, and noticing things like a bird, wild flowers, a pretty garden......

I've found quite a few versions of the c25k program downloads - have a look and see if there's one you like.
    I'm using this -
    http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

but I also found
    http://www.c25k.com/
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    http://chubbyjones.com/couch-to-5k-running-podcasts/
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/c25k-5k-trainer-free/id485971733?mt=8
    http://runningintoshape.com/5k-training-downloads/week-1-c25k/
  • beattie1
    Options
    How do you know when to repeat a week and when to move on? I just finished week 1, day 2 and while I can run every time, by the 6th run I am pretty much done but I keep going anyway. I just don't know if I should repeat week 1 again or move on to week 2... running a minute and a half seems like a daunting task lol.

I'd move on Brittney. I've felt like that every week! Each new week brings its own challenge. When you've done the session the "correct" number of times, move on if you were able to complete it, even if you were tired by the end. Otherwise, how will you progress? If you stick at week 1 you'll be REALLY GOOD at running for 1 minute! :wink:
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    I'm starting week 7 tomorrow morning!
    My 5k is coming up pretty soon. August 17th! Ahhh, I'm so nervous! :frown: It keeps me motivated, though. No more skip days!
  • sophsw
    sophsw Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Week4 day 3 done this morning.
  • ws8996
    ws8996 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am supposed to do Week 1 Day 2 tonight. I'm chugging water down all day because it's only supposed to get down to 95 degrees by 9pm. I HATE SUMMER!
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am stuck! I made it to W5, D3 and could not and can not jog for 20 minutes straight. I can do week 6, with the intervals. The longest I can run so far is 8 minutes without walking. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to help me get past this point? I am thinking it is mostly mental. I walk at 3.5 and jog at 5.2. HELP!!!! I really want to participate in a 5K this summer and be able to run the whole thing!

Do you hear the echo?? Lol! I am going to encourage you to slow down as well. I did W6D3 today and I used Runtastic to track only the running portion (22 minutes with no walking) and I went 1.88 miles for an average pace of 4.93 mph (or 12:10 min/mile). I take a good 4 or 5 minutes to get in to a rhythm with my breathing and then I just zone out to upbeat music. The app I use (Zen Labs C25K) allows me to listen to my own music and the instructor talks over it when needed.

You WILL get there, just keep trying!! :)
  • xbrittney90
    xbrittney90 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I'd move on Brittney. I've felt like that every week! Each new week brings its own challenge. When you've done the session the "correct" number of times, move on if you were able to complete it, even if you were tired by the end. Otherwise, how will you progress? If you stick at week 1 you'll be REALLY GOOD at running for 1 minute! :wink:

Ok, that makes sense. I never thought of it that way lol. Thanks!
  • cassienewquist
    cassienewquist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also use zen labs couch 2 5k and listen to Pandora. I tried to run this morning, but my calves are way too sore yet, so I used the stationary bike instead. I will really try a lower speed next run, but I felt comfortable with my stride at 5.2mph. Maybe going from 5.2 to 5 will be just what I need. I know that something has to change to get me to the end of this program and into running a whole 5K!!!!
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Since I started c25K I have not been sore, until NOW :( I did week 5, day 3 Tuesday night and yesterday and today my right leg is sore....my inner knee, ankle and bottom of my heel. I was thinking because I had not ever run for so long before(20 min straight) so then wouldn't both my legs hurt? UGH. Any insight anyone? Trying to rest it now. I am due to go again tomorrow...but we will see.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Good job sophsw! :smile: ws8996...this heat has to GO!!!! :noway:
  • beattie1
    Options
    Since I started c25K I have not been sore, until NOW :( I did week 5, day 3 Tuesday night and yesterday and today my right leg is sore....my inner knee, ankle and bottom of my heel. I was thinking because I had not ever run for so long before(20 min straight) so then wouldn't both my legs hurt? UGH. Any insight anyone? Trying to rest it now. I am due to go again tomorrow...but we will see.

I've had ONE sore knee for a couple of weeks now. It's most troublesome going downhill or down steps. I had been giving myself 2 rest days between runs but it's not really enough. Now I just do it anyway & the soreness doesn't seem to get worse when actually running and seems to wear off after a few minutes.

You could try leaving 2 days til the next session?
  • beattie1
    Options

I've had ONE sore knee for a couple of weeks now. It's most troublesome going downhill or down steps. I had been giving myself 2 rest days between runs but it's not really enough. Now I just do it anyway & the soreness doesn't seem to get worse when actually running and seems to wear off after a few minutes.

Just done W6D1 and ACTUALLY ENJOYED it!! I'm amazed!
  • Greet79
    Greet79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Please be very careful when you have a sore knee. I started running in september 2012 and made it up to 8 km (5 miles) in February/March of this year. Then my knee got the best of me. I experienced a pain at the lower outside side of the knee. Took a couple of days off, still in pain, took some more time off, still didn't work.
    Eventually went to see a sports doctor. It turned out that the muscle that runs from your hip to you knee had not adapted enough to my running. Although I followed a schedule (similar to c25k) to get me to run 10 kilometers, I just had overworked it. It's called a runners knee.
    I know have some excersises to build up muscle in my upper legs and but. And I started running again at the end of June. I had to start all over again, to get that muscle used to running again. But the excersises and taking it slow seem to be paying of. I can run farther now than when I first had a sore knee.
    So my advise would be to google for knee problems and runners, you probably will get an idea of what is the problem and what's the best way to solve it. Any pain in joints you should not ignore, you're body is telling you something...
  • cassienewquist
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to try slowing down! I tried running this morning at 4.9mph and made it 9 minutes!!! Not a huge accomplishment, but enough to keep me motivated. I didn't actually finish the whole run because of pain in my calves and ankles, but I finished on the stationary bike. Next run on Sunday I am definitely aiming for 10 minutes!! THANKS AGAIN!!!
  • DLC1978
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to try slowing down! I tried running this morning at 4.9mph and made it 9 minutes!!! Not a huge accomplishment, but enough to keep me motivated. I didn't actually finish the whole run because of pain in my calves and ankles, but I finished on the stationary bike. Next run on Sunday I am definitely aiming for 10 minutes!! THANKS AGAIN!!!

Great job! Keep at it and you will get there!
  • DLC1978
    Options

Please be very careful when you have a sore knee. I started running in september 2012 and made it up to 8 km (5 miles) in February/March of this year. Then my knee got the best of me. I experienced a pain at the lower outside side of the knee. Took a couple of days off, still in pain, took some more time off, still didn't work.
    Eventually went to see a sports doctor. It turned out that the muscle that runs from your hip to you knee had not adapted enough to my running. Although I followed a schedule (similar to c25k) to get me to run 10 kilometers, I just had overworked it. It's called a runners knee.
    I know have some excersises to build up muscle in my upper legs and but. And I started running again at the end of June. I had to start all over again, to get that muscle used to running again. But the excersises and taking it slow seem to be paying of. I can run farther now than when I first had a sore knee.
    So my advise would be to google for knee problems and runners, you probably will get an idea of what is the problem and what's the best way to solve it. Any pain in joints you should not ignore, you're body is telling you something...

I also experienced knee pain about 3 or 4 weeks in (left much worse than right). I did some research and self-diagnosed runners knee. I took additional rest, iced my knee a couple times a day (especially after running) and also tried a foam roller to loosen my muscle from my hip to my knee. Now! I am doing just fine. I agree with previous commenter that you should look into cause of pain and try to remedy before it gets so bad you have to completely stop.

Best of luck!
  • DLC1978
    Options

Another thought, are you running outside or on a treadmill? If outside, could it be the terrain on your right side is not even (like the side of a road is tapered and therefore not flat)? Also, are you wearing properly fitted shoes? Just a few other things to consider instead of runners knee...
  • beattie1
    Options
    So glad you found a way of moving forward! Keep going - maybe lower the speed a little more? On my download the trainer emphasises not trying to go too fast every time. She says if you're struggling to complete the run, slow down and find a pace that lets you complete it. The time to build up speed is later when you can complete the time.
  • cassienewquist
    Options
    I guess I could slow down a little more, IF I can't make my goal on Sunday. LOL :)

I am looking for some advice or opinions on my bilateral calf pain. It feels muscular and starts after my runs, but today it was bad enough that I stopped during walking about 18 minutes in. I am wondering if this is due to my running style? I don't know much about that, so any advice! I drink 8-14 cups of water daily, so it shouldn't be hydration problems. Hmmmmm.