Who has lost weight NOT eating clean?

Options

Replies

• megganxrose
    megganxrose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The foods you eat just determine how healthy you are, not your weight loss. You could live on McDonald's fries and lose weight as long as there was a deficit.

Weight loss isn't a trick, it's calories in vs. calories out. Whether those calories come from asparagus and salmon or from a double quarter pounder with extra cheese doesn't have an affect on weight loss. Obviously common sense will tell you which will result in better health, though.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have. In the last few months I have lost quite a bit of weight (38 lbs) not eating clean. I try to be as balanced as possible with nutrients but I am not always great about that.
  • MartinGibbs
    MartinGibbs Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is KFC "dirty"? Then I'm guilty... for me it is all about the tracking. So I do KFC. That means a light supper and a little more work on the elliptical, or a longer walk...
  • suzanneism
    suzanneism Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am not at all a clean eater. With that said, I am constantly evolving the way that I eat. When I first started, calories were all I was concerned about, and I think that is a good thing because it helps you learn portion control without being overwhelmed. As time has gone on and I have learned more, I am making better food choices because I want to. I still eat whatever I want, but I do find my wants changing.

Me, three! ;)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want in moderation and have lost over a hundred pounds.

I do need to work on eating more fruits & vegetables.
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I went from 167 to 120ish not eating clean. I try to eat some healthy stuff and some stuff that I enjoy. Its not worth giving up the stuff that makes me happy. I can eat "bad" foods and maintain a healthy weight just fine.
  • thestrawberrysays
    thestrawberrysays Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What's the point if you aren't going to change your lifestyle? The majority of people will simply gain the weight back. And what about health? I'd rather be healthy, not just skinny.
    I'm not saying we should never treat ourselves or have processed food, but none of us would be on this site to begin with if eating **** in moderation worked out, and none of us certainly are going to be healthy regardless.
  • NatureChik1985
    Options
    I don't even know what "eating clean" means.

This^^^^ but I am pretty sure my dinner of pizza and beer would not meet the criteria. I eat mostly healthy ( fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats ) but here and there I do enjoy a little "junk". I don't see any thing wrong with moderation.
  • DekkaTwoOneWizzy
    Options
    I been drug free for life and I'll tell you point blank that peaking in sub 10% bodyfat levels in 12 weeks is not happening with huge dietary latitudes. Not even on cyclic keto. Its way to hard to quantify the tangibles when somebody else is baking your pop tarts. If your goals are purely health and you dont care what your husband or wife think of you naked body with the lights on, then cancel christmas and eat 500 calories of nachos rather than kale. Can you lose weight?! Yes! Create a caloric deficit. Unless your on gear or a genetic freak, you WILL NOT LOOK GOOD naked and you will not get into the single digit bodyfat and thats absolutely fine if thats that on your to do list.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    What's the point if you aren't going to change your lifestyle? The majority of people will simply gain the weight back. And what about health? I'd rather be healthy, not just skinny.
    I'm not saying we should never treat ourselves or have processed food, but none of us would be on this site to begin with if eating **** in moderation worked out, and none of us certainly are going to be healthy regardless.

Actually, I got fat on good, wholesome, home cooked food. I just ate too much of it. And plenty of people on MFP have lost weight or maintained on fast food in moderation.

What's the point? They lost weight, improved all their health indicators, and damned if some of them don't look damn good to go along with it. That and they find it super easy to stick to because they just eat the foods they love. With results like that, why would they risk failure by cutting out the foods they love to pursue some lofty ideal of 'clean' eating?
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    *raises a hand*
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    <----
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I lost weight eating some 'clean' food, some grubby food and some positively filthy food!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I lost just over a pound a week, steadily for all of my weight loss (and I was only expecting to lose a pound a week, so it was even faster than it should have been). I tried eating clean for a few days. Never worked out for me. I eat fast food all the time and generally eat ice cream at least once a day.

I successfully reached my goal weight. According to my doctor all my health stats are also great.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I disagree with this. I wasn't taught moderation so I have a tendency to overeat, just as I tend to eat when bored, stressed, and emotional.

But learning moderation hasn't just helped me control my eating without cutting things out...but it is teaching me about self-control/willpower and applying them to other parts of my life.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    Disagree. I eat **** 20% of the time and it's McDonald's, Taco Bell, pizza, candy bars, ice cream etc. for the last 25 years. I'd bet my health is quite good (especially since my last check up).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    I been drug free for life and I'll tell you point blank that peaking in sub 10% bodyfat levels in 12 weeks is not happening with huge dietary latitudes. Not even on cyclic keto. Its way to hard to quantify the tangibles when somebody else is baking your pop tarts. If your goals are purely health and you dont care what your husband or wife think of you naked body with the lights on, then cancel christmas and eat 500 calories of nachos rather than kale. Can you lose weight?! Yes! Create a caloric deficit. Unless your on gear or a genetic freak, you WILL NOT LOOK GOOD naked and you will not get into the single digit bodyfat and thats absolutely fine if thats that on your to do list.
    I must be a genetic freak then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ErinEaton
    ErinEaton Posts: 2
    Options
    I dont eat all clean foods but i do eat a lot of them and regular foods that said i don't eat cookies, ice cream, chips, or soda.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating whatever....just less of it and exercising. Now that I've lost the weight I have certainly picked up better habits when choosing my food and fitting into my diet. Eating fruits and vegetables vs. chips and burgers doesnt make you lose weight, but I sure feel better when I do. I very rarely get ill, and I have a lot more energy than I did with a diet of fast food and microwave meals. The eating "clean" movement is more about overall health than losing weight IMO. Not saying its the gospel tho. I still eat what I want, I just want different things more now.

There's a lot of truth here. I eat a lot of microwave meals (the :healthy ones, low sodium) and don't get a lot of fruits or veggies in. Losing weight is a matter of less calories in, everyone gets that. Eating clean is really eating cleaner for each individual - clean up your act - get away from some of your pitfalls don't go down those old roads - the binges - the food fests, the taking of "extra portions" :wink:
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Had ice cream twice today (2 cups total) and an entire pizza yesterday... ????????????