Who has lost weight NOT eating clean?

Options

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Seems like people are defining organo-paleo-whole-raw-vegan as the only way to be "clean".

I doubt more than 0.01% of people using this site/app are even trying to do that.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    No one who knows what they're talking about calls it IIFYM; they refer to it by its original term "flexible dieting"

It's not about how many pop tarts you can fit into your diet, it's about macros, fibre, micronutrients, phytonutrients, water intake -- all important. You find that anyone following these things will tend to eat a relatively unprocessed, "clean" diet anyway.

"Dirty" foods aren't really dirty, but if they go against these basic nutritional foundations then they're not optimal to your goals. Do them anyway though like drugs nom sayin?

notsrs
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I went from 184 lbs to 130 lbs on a diet of nonfat yogurt, jelly beans, cigarettes and coffee. I also had no energy, bad skin and got sick a lot.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No one who knows what they're talking about calls it IIFYM

ORLY?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I went from 184 lbs to 130 lbs on a diet of nonfat yogurt, jelly beans, cigarettes and coffee. I also had no energy, bad skin and got sick a lot.

and what's your point? because if that's what you were doing, you obviously weren't paying any attention to meeting your protein and fat requirements.

silly argument is silly.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Me!

I lost 65 pounds - easily, happily and relatively quickly eating whatever the heck I wanted. And even better... I've kept it off for a year and a half now, while continuing to eat what I like.

Regulars on my 'diet'

Wine
    Cake
    Ice Cream
    Candy
    Pizza
    Cheeseburgers
    Donuts
    Waffles
    Beer

tumblr_md1rnigM0w1r2q56co1_250.gif
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    same here. I have lost 28 on MFP but 60-ish over the past 4 years and I do not eat completely "clean". Yeah, I try not to eat bad food a lot but I have a candy bar or ice cream at least once a week, usually some form of fast or restaurant food weekly, and some frozen/processed stuff along with the raw/fresh stuff and so on. I think some people are really extreme on the clean eating but I say whatever works for you.
  • jasoncbackus
    jasoncbackus Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your definition of "eating clean." I don't eat all organic or unprocessed foods, yet I've still lost weight. I try not to eat a lot of processed foods in order to keep my sodium intake low, but I still eat foods that are boxed or have more than three ingredients.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Me. I eat the food I like, in appropriate portion sizes. I do pay attention to overall nutrition, and I cook a lot of meals from scratch, but I certainly don't only eat "clean" foods.

I also lost a good portion of my weight only paying attention to calories. My diet's changed a lot from 18 months ago, but it's happened very gradually, making only the changes that suit me.

This, exactly!
  • MommaSari
    MommaSari Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 pounds not eating "clean". I eat better than I did before and I watch my calories and I make better choices, but I did loose weight.

I am gaining now....but only because I'm pregnant. :)
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I could not even define the term "eating clean" but I hear it all the time BUT I love fruit and love vegetables. I make no real effort to eat a specific percentage of anything but watch calories alone.
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have sensory integration disorder and have never eaten a fruit or vegetable in my entire lift, still losing weight :)

I am not trying to be rude and apologize if this comes across as insensitive, but I am genuinely curious... What does SID have to do with what you eat? BTW - Great progress you look awesome.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options

and what's your point? because if that's what you were doing, you obviously weren't paying any attention to meeting your protein and fat requirements.

silly argument is silly.

It's a direct response to the OP. She lost weight not eating "clean", like everyone else. A calorie deficit produces weight loss. "Clean" eating isn't directly related to a calorie deficit.

The question is kind of like "Who has lost weight while NOT bicycling." Except that bicycling is easy to define, unlike "clean" eating.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am not at all a clean eater. With that said, I am constantly evolving the way that I eat. When I first started, calories were all I was concerned about, and I think that is a good thing because it helps you learn portion control without being overwhelmed. As time has gone on and I have learned more, I am making better food choices because I want to. I still eat whatever I want, but I do find my wants changing.

Ditto... I now track Fat-Sugar-Carbs-Sodium-Protein along with my Calories. Yes, I still have sweets, I opt to limit it to the weekend as a treat.
  • jfval
    jfval Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I got a book on how to eat clean. I looked at a few recipes and decided nah, I am doing okay without depriving myself of yummies. So, like most everyone else, I watch my calories and exercise. I try to control my sugar and sodium and do my best to avoid too much junk, but I am not going to be miserable. Being miserable in your diet is what will sabatoge it for sure.
  • ohaston
    ohaston Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat "cleaner" only because I want to be healthier... I know the skinny ppl can be unhealthy ppl ... But I suffer from Carb cravings ... So I am afraid of what may trigger that return ... So I have made some healthy changes that I consider "life long" ... But for weight loss ... I treat myself to pizza at least 2 times a month ... I count the calories and still lose weight .. Fried chicken is in my near future but I will count it and keep going ...
    Happy Weight Loss to you!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    No one who knows what they're talking about calls it IIFYM

ORLY?

yarly, u mad?
  • SansyPansy
    SansyPansy Posts: 17
    Options
    i lost weight before just by exercising more. its just different body types i guess. i can (sorta) eat the same as i always do if i do insanity religiously. i gain the weight when i sit around and dont work out and eat that way.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    in...for the dead horse...

seriously, this is like the 20th thread on clean eating this week...

Clean eating. The new "thigh gap" . . .

Wait, does this mean that if I eat clean that I will get a thigh gap? :love:

I've lost 28 lbs not eating clean. I try to make good choices, but I don't stress out or give up if I have a treat or make something for dinner that "clean" eaters would find cringeworthy. As a previous poster mentioned, I still eat things I like, but my tastes are evolving. One of my favorite snacks now is fresh berries where it used to be chocolate ice cream. I still like ice cream, but I'm just very into the berries right now.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    34lbs down and netting a dirty 1700 calories.