How is doing c25k? Lets support each other

Options

Replies

• LindaGTaylor
    LindaGTaylor Posts: 260 Member
    Options

This is an open forum, so YES! please join us and share your successes (and challenges). Have you an your friend looked at any of the C25K apps?

we have!! my friend has a mountain of health issues so running isn't always possible for her, I usually run and then walk back to her and then run again when I catch my breath. I have tried the app a few times it's pretty handy! I just haven't tried it consistently.

I have noticed though that I have been running further and having shorter recovery times so I think I'm improving :)

Thanks for letting me in!! If anyone is looking for pals feel free to add me! I'm also using Runkeeper to track my runs and compare them and I have a Fitbit :)

I am glad to hear that you see an improvement. That is a big statement in it's self. Try not to let your friend get discouraged or talk her self out of running. She does need to be cautious of her aliments. But they do not need to stop her from getting healthier. I have a lot of medical issues my self. But since running and eating better I am no longer a diabetic nor have high blood pressure. Its ok if she runs two sets and walks the rest... she can repeat the weeks as much as she needs.

Enjoy getting healthy and running.
  • blackNBUK
    blackNBUK Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I accidentally ended up doing the Ease into 5K programme instead of C25K but it's close enough that I guess that it's worth posting here. Comparing the two programmes it seems like instead of the big step to 20 minutes running being in week 5 of C25K it is in week 6 of Ease into 5K.

Currently I'm in week 4 and the sessions are 4 mins running, 2 mins walking, 6 mins running, 3 mins walking and 4 mins running. I can do that but I'm struggling a bit towards the end. I think I'll have to work on keeping my pace down if I'm going to complete the longer intervals. My running pace is hovering around 5:30 per km at the moment.

I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of easy riverside and woodland trails around me and I'm loving being able to get some exercise outdoors. Finishing a session at a beautiful viewpoint is a fantastic experience.
  • mandeebmotherof3
    mandeebmotherof3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just finished W3D2 last night! I'm so excited. I have never been a runner and have always been overweight. I never thought when I started that I would be able to run for 3 minutes straight (well jog really but still...). I remember 3 weeks ago I was struggling to get through a minute! I feel fantastic and seem to even stand straighter and my legs feel stronger when I walk during the day. I love this program and I hope I can continue to keep up with it :) I'm happy to find a group of other people who are doing it as well. I'm sure I will need the support!!
  • Brewtime
    Brewtime Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started this week and tonight will be W1D2 of the program. Thighs are a little sore form Mondays run/walk I also make my self take the stairs at work to hlp with the conditioning.
  • cassienewquist
    cassienewquist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Good job to everyone, this isn't easy!! I went for W6 D1 just a bit ago and it didn't turn out so good. :frown: My W5D3 was Monday evening, and I thought my calf soreness would be better and I'd be ready. I was SO wrong. I made it just over halfway and called it quits because I was in pain even walking. Honestly, I feel OK about it. I am going to take a break from cardio at least until Saturday to make sure I am healed. No rush, I want to make it to a real 5K at my pace, and listen to my body. Looks like weight lifting and ab work for me for awhile!! I am enjoying a tasty Apple Pie Protein Smoothie as I type this and wait for the Advil to kick in! Time to go sit and ice the calves and relax until work!!
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So glad to see some new faces! For a few weeks there, it felt like it was just me and beattie!

I did W7D2 this morning and felt pretty much the same as I did on Monday (with W7D1). I am looking forward to some fall events that I am planning to sign up for (5K's and longer!!! eek!!! :happy: )

Keep up the great work everyone!!
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Finally started c25k today. I've had the app on my phone for 6 weeks planning to start and just never had. I had to really force myself to get up and do it this morning. I am so glad that I did!!! I signed up for a 5k on Oct 5 so I should have plenty of time to get through the program even if I have to repeat a couple of days. Nice job everyone!
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Good job to everyone, this isn't easy!! I went for W6 D1 just a bit ago and it didn't turn out so good. :frown: My W5D3 was Monday evening, and I thought my calf soreness would be better and I'd be ready. I was SO wrong. I made it just over halfway and called it quits because I was in pain even walking. Honestly, I feel OK about it. I am going to take a break from cardio at least until Saturday to make sure I am healed. No rush, I want to make it to a real 5K at my pace, and listen to my body. Looks like weight lifting and ab work for me for awhile!! I am enjoying a tasty Apple Pie Protein Smoothie as I type this and wait for the Advil to kick in! Time to go sit and ice the calves and relax until work!!
    Resting = good choice.

I thought of doing W6D3 today, but my ankle is still puffy and sore so I did some Zumba but decided not to run today. There's plenty of time and from what I read, aiming to do the program slowly is a good thing - as well as running slowly.
  • beattie1
    Options
    So glad to see some new faces! For a few weeks there, it felt like it was just me and beattie!

I did W7D2 this morning and felt pretty much the same as I did on Monday (with W7D1). I am looking forward to some fall events that I am planning to sign up for (5K's and longer!!! eek!!! :happy: )

Keep up the great work everyone!!

LOL! It's always nice to have more people to talk to! :-)

Brilliant work DLC!
  • beattie1
    Options
    Finally started c25k today. I've had the app on my phone for 6 weeks planning to start and just never had. I had to really force myself to get up and do it this morning. I am so glad that I did!!! I signed up for a 5k on Oct 5 so I should have plenty of time to get through the program even if I have to repeat a couple of days. Nice job everyone!

I'm so glad you got started! :-)
  • cassienewquist
    Options

the more you do it, the more you see you are capable of!! good luck and see you around!
  • Momma2CharlieJane
    Momma2CharlieJane Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the nice welcome!! Can't wait to post that I finished week 9!!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 and starting the second week this week (I am taking 2 weeks for each week).

I am able to do the 3 minutes at a slower pace but I also am running outside and have HILLS. I've done the program before and I am a Week 5 dropout so I think taking it slower will yield more success.

I am using the podcast from kissmyblackass.org and love the hip hop tunes to run by....makes a huge difference to have music you like.
  • cassienewquist
    Options
    Agree! The music really sets the tone for my workouts. I need to build myself a playlist to help me get to the end!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Agree! The music really sets the tone for my workouts. I need to build myself a playlist to help me get to the end!

Girl Talk! Haha. His music has gotten me through 7 weeks so far. Start week 8 tonight. 2.75 miles. I got this!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options

If you like hip-hop try the podcast I mentioned - she chimes in every time you need to walk or run that way you're not watching the clock.

http://www.kissmyblackass.org/podcasts/
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The Podrunner podcast uses techno/dance music. Can be found in the iTunes store for free. Its not an app, just music which can be loaded onto any iDevice. He has 5K, 8K, and 10K.

I personally love the Zombies Run 5K! for the iPhone or iTouch. You can use any music or streaming music (if you have the iPhone). I was all good and on week 4, then work got in the way. Now I'm on week 1 again, and 10 lbs heavier. :_o(
  • beattie1
    Options
    The Podrunner podcast uses techno/dance music. Can be found in the iTunes store for free. Its not an app, just music which can be loaded onto any iDevice. He has 5K, 8K, and 10K.

I personally love the Zombies Run 5K! for the iPhone or iTouch. You can use any music or streaming music (if you have the iPhone). I was all good and on week 4, then work got in the way. Now I'm on week 1 again, and 10 lbs heavier. :_o(

Never mind! You're back to it now and that's what counts :smile:
  • DLC1978
    DLC1978 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the nice welcome!! Can't wait to post that I finished week 9!!

It will be here before you know it!! Can't wait to see your progress :)
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Id like to join too! I have tried c25k in the past and have never finished. I would really like to have a go at it again since I've always wanted to run a 5k and there is a color run near me in September :) One question though if anyone can help... I usually stop doing it because it starts to hurt my knees. What could I be doing wrong here?