Soooo....I Have Cancer

Options

Replies

• phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I just found this thread and I was preparing to respond to your comment about telling your story to a bunch of strangers on the interwebz (I did the same thing when I was diagnosed two years ago and it was the best thing I ever did...got me through it) and then I saw your latest update.

So glad your surgery went "well" and that the doctor is positive. The pain is excruciating first up, isn't it? Almost like "if they'd have told me it would be this bad, there's no way I would have agreed"...But the fact that you are pain free so quickly is wonderful!! May you continue to be so.

I don't pray, but I will keep you in my thoughts. May you continue to heal. May you continue to get better and better news. May you recover to a full and healthy life. I celebrate my 2 year cancer-free anniversary this Sunday. May you celebrate many anniversaries too.

Stay as strong as you can...and if it helps, keep talking to the strangers on the interwebz.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to hear that you are on the road to recovery. Lots of prayers for No radiation. Keep fighting!
  • kaorinchan
    kaorinchan Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So glad to see your update! Saying a prayer for you and your family!
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Wow.....I don't suppose much can be said at this time to make you feel any better about the process and what's happening right now for you. You seem to have a positive outlook and belief in the team of doctors that are working with you, which is awesome. I'm glad I had the opportunity to read your post, and in doing so you have given me something in return..... Thanx for the update, it's great to hear your on the mend.....fingers crossed, thinking of you x
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I can tell from your post u r ready to fight this! I'm inspired by your bravery! Sending u well wishes and my heart goes out to u. My sister in law Is fighting for her life right now too. She has stage four burkitts lymphoma (sp) it is so very scary so I have a little understanding. Again the best wishes to u!!! :heart:
  • hotmomma0612
    hotmomma0612 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Stay strong and you can work through it! NEVER give up!!! *hug* :flowerforyou:
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    That's a very positive update. Thank you for sharing. I wish you continued success on your road to recovery. You got this!
  • Sul3i
    Sul3i Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I just read that u posted a couple ahead of me n realized this was an older thread.... So to your update I'm so glad things are looking up for u!! I teared up reading the part when u were in the worst pain n wanted to give up but refused... Truly amazing stuff :heart:
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thoughts & Prayers are with you!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Dude. No kidding. I messaged you upthread, obviously don't know you, but you popped in my head a few days ago, and I wondered how you were. Awesome news :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Surgery went well according to my doc. 9 hours and 40 minutes later I was in the ICU.

After sugery I had a breathing tube in my left nostril, feeding tube in my right nostril. My neck swelled to the size of a softball from the lymph node removal and had a 2 draining tubes in it. My right forearm had a sleeve-like bandage on it to cover the incision they made to take the artery/vein for my flap reconstruction. My right wrist had this weird vacuum bandage on it covering the area that they harvested skin for my tongue from. My right thigh had a ~1.5 inch x ~4 inch area where they took skin to replace to skin on my right wrist. Turns out I didn't need a trachostemy which was good (one less tube coming out of my body...).

On Tuesday night my blood pressure, pulse, and temp started to soar and I was sweating profusely. My room was set to be maintained at 74 degrees F so the blood vessels in my mouth wouldn't constrict in order for the flap to heal. Every. Single. Bone in my body was saying, "Time to wave the white flag dude. You're done." It was a very odd experience. Every breath seemed to take 5 minutes. I closed my eyes and said to myself, "Not a chance you're giving up now. Keep fighting. Don't give up." I have no idea if they gave me any meds (I'd be surprised if they didn't) but my BP and pulse eventually came back down.

I was transferred to a "regular" hospital room on Wednesday late in the afternoon. Later that evening my surgeon paid us a visit. He looked at my mouth, said it looks great, and asked if he could share some good news with us. He said (more) words that I will never forget: "The margins on the tumor were exceptionally clear, and so were all of the lymph nodes we removed." Tears welled up in my eyes as well as my wife's. Through a swollen tongue I was able to manage a "Thank you, doctor. Thank you." Since the question was on both of our minds my wife asked what this means as far as radiation is concerned. He said the path results were definitely a game changer but he didn't want to completely rule it out yet. My surgeon is going to meet with a radiation oncologist at his hospital (this whole thing was done out of network....that's a whole other story that I could go on and on and on about....), discuss this at a weekly cancer forum, and also consult a radiation oncologist (in my network) where I would likely receive treatment if needed.

The tubes slowly but surely came out over the week but I came home with my feeding tube still in. Ugh. What a pain in the *kitten*. It didn't hurt but was uncomfortable and made it difficult to swallow and breathe. It came out at my appointment last week which was awesome. After he removed it my doctor handed me a small cup of water and said, "Here you go. Cheers." It was the first sip of water I had since the night before surger and it tasted oh so good.

I don't know what the deal is but I've been in essentially ZERO pain since leaving the ICU. It's been at least a week and a half since I've taken any sort of pain med. I'm not complaining. I asked my doc about this at my appointment last week...I was concerned that there may have been some sort of damage or something??...and he just chuckled and said no pain about the best thing we can expect and while not "normal" it isn't uncommon.

All my wounds are healing and I'm just waiting for the swelling in my mouth to go down so I can start eating real food again.

I can't get too far ahead of myself and I know I'm not out of the woods yet but things are looking pretty good. I still have a long way to go, especially if we do radiation. But I'm very grateful to be home and even more excited that I can eat soft solid food as long as I can tolerate it. It's getting boring though but I know it's just temporary.

I have an appointment next Tuesday with my radiation oncologist where we will discuss the pros and cons of radiation for my situation.

Be Well,
    Josh

Thank you for the update. I thought of you the other day and had NO idea how I'd find your thread. Then today it was just right there. Glad you're getting good news and hope things get better and better. :flowerforyou:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Surgery went well according to my doc. 9 hours and 40 minutes later I was in the ICU.

After sugery I had a breathing tube in my left nostril, feeding tube in my right nostril. My neck swelled to the size of a softball from the lymph node removal and had a 2 draining tubes in it. My right forearm had a sleeve-like bandage on it to cover the incision they made to take the artery/vein for my flap reconstruction. My right wrist had this weird vacuum bandage on it covering the area that they harvested skin for my tongue from. My right thigh had a ~1.5 inch x ~4 inch area where they took skin to replace to skin on my right wrist. Turns out I didn't need a trachostemy which was good (one less tube coming out of my body...).

On Tuesday night my blood pressure, pulse, and temp started to soar and I was sweating profusely. My room was set to be maintained at 74 degrees F so the blood vessels in my mouth wouldn't constrict in order for the flap to heal. Every. Single. Bone in my body was saying, "Time to wave the white flag dude. You're done." It was a very odd experience. Every breath seemed to take 5 minutes. I closed my eyes and said to myself, "Not a chance you're giving up now. Keep fighting. Don't give up." I have no idea if they gave me any meds (I'd be surprised if they didn't) but my BP and pulse eventually came back down.

I was transferred to a "regular" hospital room on Wednesday late in the afternoon. Later that evening my surgeon paid us a visit. He looked at my mouth, said it looks great, and asked if he could share some good news with us. He said (more) words that I will never forget: "The margins on the tumor were exceptionally clear, and so were all of the lymph nodes we removed." Tears welled up in my eyes as well as my wife's. Through a swollen tongue I was able to manage a "Thank you, doctor. Thank you." Since the question was on both of our minds my wife asked what this means as far as radiation is concerned. He said the path results were definitely a game changer but he didn't want to completely rule it out yet. My surgeon is going to meet with a radiation oncologist at his hospital (this whole thing was done out of network....that's a whole other story that I could go on and on and on about....), discuss this at a weekly cancer forum, and also consult a radiation oncologist (in my network) where I would likely receive treatment if needed.

The tubes slowly but surely came out over the week but I came home with my feeding tube still in. Ugh. What a pain in the *kitten*. It didn't hurt but was uncomfortable and made it difficult to swallow and breathe. It came out at my appointment last week which was awesome. After he removed it my doctor handed me a small cup of water and said, "Here you go. Cheers." It was the first sip of water I had since the night before surger and it tasted oh so good.

I don't know what the deal is but I've been in essentially ZERO pain since leaving the ICU. It's been at least a week and a half since I've taken any sort of pain med. I'm not complaining. I asked my doc about this at my appointment last week...I was concerned that there may have been some sort of damage or something??...and he just chuckled and said no pain about the best thing we can expect and while not "normal" it isn't uncommon.

All my wounds are healing and I'm just waiting for the swelling in my mouth to go down so I can start eating real food again.

I can't get too far ahead of myself and I know I'm not out of the woods yet but things are looking pretty good. I still have a long way to go, especially if we do radiation. But I'm very grateful to be home and even more excited that I can eat soft solid food as long as I can tolerate it. It's getting boring though but I know it's just temporary.

I have an appointment next Tuesday with my radiation oncologist where we will discuss the pros and cons of radiation for my situation.

Be Well,
    Josh

Thank you for the update. I thought of you the other day and had NO idea how I'd find your thread. Then today it was just right there. Glad you're getting good news and hope things get better and better. :flowerforyou:
    *reading first part* wow that is quite the ordeal! Here's to never having to do that again. You're a strong one. *high fives if you have a free hand*
    *read last part* That is amazing news! I'm so glad something good came out of it. I wish you the best of luck with your appointment. Fingers crossed for you. A few of my friends have gone through radiation, definitely don't rule it out. It's done them a world of good.
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    This really sucks, but it sounds like you have a good attitude and a great support system. Thoughts and prayers to you during this difficult time.

I know a fellow who was diagnosed with stage 4 esophageal cancer. It didn't look good, he only had 20% survival rate. But you know what? He kicked cancer's *kitten* and is doing great - I believe you will too. All the best! :flowerforyou:

EDIT: I just read your update! Yay! That is great news that the margins were clear! Even though you are not out of the woods, sounds like you are close to being there! You went through quite the ordeal, glad to see you are recovering quickly and well from it.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome update! I was wondering how things were going. :flowerforyou:

Here's to the rest of your recovering going even better! :drinker:
  • Awesomeemily27
    Awesomeemily27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. My dad had neck cancer (also a nonsmoker). He has recovered and is five years cancer free. Last year, I found out I had cancer. I ended up having major surgery and have since recovered and am cancer free. Believe me, I know the feelings you're experiencing right now. But, it does get better. Just try to relax, get all the information you can, and then evaluate all your options so you don't regret any decisions you make. I definitely look at my life differently now, but I think it's a good thing, because I really try to cherish the important moments and not stress myself out as much.

Best of luck with everything!

My dad had cancer, and I totally agree with this... You definitely learn to look at life differently now...
    Good Luck!!!!!
  • NadirToZenith
    NadirToZenith Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You're young and you're smart enough to have taken the steps to get the best care possible. You're 90% of the way there already. You're a fighter and you'll be ok. Just remember even strangers are here to help if you need it.
  • bwright9752
    bwright9752 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the update. You may be changing your name to CancerSlayer soon. Keep up the great attitude and thanks again for the courage to post this to a bunch of strangers.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Prayers things will continue to get better. You got youth and a fighting spirit on your side. YOU WILL get through this.
  • Addicted2_fitness
    Addicted2_fitness Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    God bless you.

Thank you for sharing your story, your journey with us strangers. It really has touched my heart. Your passion for life, your determination to fight, and your faith in those doctors are all so admirable. Please continue to use your story as a testimony.

You have touched my heart today in such a way that I had to reach out to you... No, I do not know you, and I can't say that I can relate to what you're going through; it's just so liberating and so humbling to come across someone with such a positive outlook on life.

Again, God bless you and best wishes for a full recovery after your surgery.
  • Antoine112
    Antoine112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Prayers for you.... Miracles happen! God bless you!