My FITNESS Pal, Keyword is FITNESS

Options
So a post where I ask that we respect one another's fitness goals is killed by 9 am, but posts criticizing people who have different goals can reach 500. .

I would NEVER tell someone to do Cardio only. Resistance training is an important component in a fitness routine. I don't abhor lifting, I just don't get excited by traditional strength training, though it has been a part of my routine in the past.

I respect those who lift heavy, but I also respect those who feel bad azz after doing a a round of Insanity, the person who had a killer workout in a body pump class , the person who's legs are burning after a barre routine or the person who has a routine of their own which is the best of both worlds. There is room for all of us on My Fitness Pal. I do realize the group that criticizes and dismisses anyone that does bodyweight, plyometrics, metabolic resistance training, etc is a minority here, but this group is the loudest. If this was bodybuilding.com, which has less judgmental forums btw, lifting heavy would make sense as the dominant advice, since going to the site would mean this is probably something that interests posters. But this is a fitness site. There is no one road to fitness. Is it too hard to ask to respect others who take a different fitness journey.

Replies

• Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Um... What?

I lift. I also do cardio, ride horses and pole dance. I have never felt that anyone disrespected my routine. As long as it is working, why would anyone say anything? :huh:
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a "culture" on MFP that demonises cardio...it seems to be if you dont "eat more" and lift then you are doing it all wrong in this "cultures" eyes, even tho cardio and eating less has worked well for people for years. I lost most of my weight doing cardio, with 1 resistance session a week and eating 1200-1800 cals, I found the MFP forums and they have confused the heck out of me. Its taken me a while to realise to ignore the sound around me and go with what Ive previously done and what my gut tells me. So yeh I will do cardio, last night did my first night of insanity, but I will also do some lifting in my PT sessions...and lo and behold I might even eat under my BMR. I go now by what works for me...what my past has shown me works...and all of the above for me worked. We should just respect that people are being active and living healthier lives.
  • sirtxt
    sirtxt Posts: 39
    Options
    I need a variety myself. Whether it is walking, running, elliptical or lifting. I will share that I have discovered a new way to be ACTIVE - playing with ropes. Yep, you heard me. Some gyms have them. Basically you are man-handling two ends of a 40 foot piece of rope that is 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick. Let me tell you - that stuff is heavy. So you are standing with both ends - one in each hand and rope is anchored to something 20 feet away. Now you try to move that rope in many different kinds of way. I thought is was stupid at first, but is was so unique. Let me tell you, it kicked my butt.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I don't recall ever seeing anyone disrespect bodyweight exercises. I don't read every thread, but it's certainly not common at all.

The advice to do strength training is almost always a response to "I'm doing cardio and I still have tummy/leg fat what should I do?"
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Agree. Fitness can be subjective. Depends on a persons endgame. What they know they can adhere to and maintain once they are there. I happen to lift but not as heavy as some. I've no interest in bulking etc but only because it requires more management than I am willing to do but I respect those that go that path. Likewise, I respect anyone who achieves any level of euphoria having done something new that they didn't do before. Be it running, cycling, insanity etc. I think most people get that though.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Um... What?

I lift. I also do cardio, ride horses and pole dance. I have never felt that anyone disrespected my routine. As long as it is working, why would anyone say anything? :huh:

I'm not saying everyone does it. But there are some who do down certain routines. I agree with you, if you found what works for you, keep at it.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced an anti-cardio or anti-lifting trend from members of MFP, personally. Won't say it doesn't exist, I've just never seen it. Some people certainly have their preferences, but I don't know that I've ever felt judged. Generally speaking, people have always been supportive of me just for moving my body and burning calories, regardless of how it was done.

My personal preference is to do mostly cardio, because it burns more calories and because I'm trying to build up my endurance a bit more, having asthma. I also do some cross-training and strength training because I want to become stronger and have a nice shape. I guess it all comes down to what types of goals a person has. Right now, my primary goal is to burn fat, hence the cardio. When I've gotten a bit closer to my goal weight, I'll probably split my time a bit more between cardio and strength training/lifting. Really, it is just a matter of preference in my case. The biggest thing for me is variety; I have the attention span of a housefly and don't like doing the same thing over and over, day in and day out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I could give a rats *kitten* what you do...

From a fitness standpoint, any fitness regimen worth it's salt is going to have aspects of both cardio and resistance work. You really can't be a truly fit individual without both.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You certainly exercised your mouth, Cher.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    What's with these threads? It's like you're trying to pick a fight or something. Really, no one cares what you do.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg

The horse is far from dead, because the idea of respecting everyone' fitness journey is something a SMALL but VOCAL group won't do. In my previous post, somehow saying that lifting heavy is ONE of MANY options was turned into do cardio only, don't lift a thing, be skinny fat and screw muscles. To a certain population on MFP, if you say you are doing anything other than lifting heavy, then you are wasting your time. I have read posts that said bodyweight squats are pointless, metabolic resistance training can't replace traditional lifting in a routine and posters imply that anyone who doesn't lift heavy and do low reps must be using Barbie weights. Again, this is NOT ALL members. Many do get that this is site is about providing support for fitness goals. But some see their fitness goals as the only goal anyone should have. That in my opinion is wrong.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    There is definitely a "culture" on MFP that demonises cardio...it seems to be if you dont "eat more" and lift then you are doing it all wrong in this "cultures" eyes, even tho cardio and eating less has worked well for people for years. I lost most of my weight doing cardio, with 1 resistance session a week and eating 1200-1800 cals, I found the MFP forums and they have confused the heck out of me. Its taken me a while to realise to ignore the sound around me and go with what Ive previously done and what my gut tells me. So yeh I will do cardio, last night did my first night of insanity, but I will also do some lifting in my PT sessions...and lo and behold I might even eat under my BMR. I go now by what works for me...what my past has shown me works...and all of the above for me worked. We should just respect that people are being active and living healthier lives.

Cardio makes a FAT person a Skinny FAT person. Whereas as cardio plus resistance training makes a FAT person a lean toned person. However, if someone already has a lean mass to work with but is FAT cardio alone will help them lean out but will lose muscle mass in the process.
  • minijuggernaut
    minijuggernaut Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg

The horse is far from dead, because the idea of respecting everyone' fitness journey is something a SMALL but VOCAL group won't do. In my previous post, somehow saying that lifting heavy is ONE of MANY options was turned into do cardio only, don't lift a thing, be skinny fat and screw muscles. To a certain population on MFP, if you say you are doing anything other than lifting heavy, then you are wasting your time. I have read posts that said bodyweight squats are pointless, metabolic resistance training can't replace traditional lifting in a routine and posters imply that anyone who doesn't lift heavy and do low reps must be using Barbie weights. Again, this is NOT ALL members. Many do get that this is site is about providing support for fitness goals. But some see their fitness goals as the only goal anyone should have. That in my opinion is wrong.

Thank god you were here to white knight for all the little guys who weren't brave enough to speak up for themselves. Do you really think this post is useful or necessary? It's not going to do anything besides start a flame war and make you look silly.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg

I do not come to this site for "support for fitness goals." I have learned a tremendous amount from the people that are regularly called bullies, disrespectful, etc. why? Because they do not sugar coat things and hand hugs and kisses to everyone.... And as I said earlier......disagreement gets mistaken for disrespect more times than not.......hence threads like this one.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I could give a rats *kitten* what you do...

From a fitness standpoint, any fitness regimen worth it's salt is going to have aspects of both cardio and resistance work. You really can't be a truly fit individual without both.

You don't care about what routine is, I respect that. I do agree that a fitness routine should be both cardio and resistance work. I just think some MFPers criticize anyone who doesn't do certain resistance routines or push the same routines regardless of that person's goals. I wish everyone would agree with your statement about fitness regimens and then there would be a lot less judgment.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Dear OP

What do you care about what other people think ?

Let them be.

You take the path that makes you happy. If it works for you, go ahead and be happy

Good luck in your journey
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg

I do not come to this site for "support for fitness goals." I have learned a tremendous amount from the people that are regularly called bullies, disrespectful, etc. why? Because they do not sugar coat things and hand hugs and kisses to everyone.... And as I said earlier......disagreement gets mistaken for disrespect more times than not.......hence threads like this one.

^This. These "bullies" have been really helpful for me, because they are straightforward and say it like it is. There's no point in tip-toeing on the internet.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg

I don't expect everyone to agree with me or anyone else. But that is the problem, if I or someone else say they disagree, here comes the bullies. I know you say they have helped you, but seriously some of them go into attack mode if someone types an opinion that differs from their own. You don't have to bully anyone to make your point and you don't have to bully anyone to get them to change their mind. You can present your point of view and if that person is going to do it, they are going to do it. But that group of bullies goes way beyond that. Disagreement is totally appropriate in a forum like this. The disrespect comes when you can't agree to disagree.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    this...again.