How disgusting is this...

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

i am bound for surgery hun. not psychiatric work.

thats like asking your mechanic to be more sensitive with your cars feelings.

Good stay in the OR
  • ldrosophila
    Options
    I mean, ****, I think that people should be more outraged about her father beating the **** out of her, but here people are more upset that she isn't going on some diet to lose weight.

SMH.

Our society is ****ed.

This is what I was thinking...if this was about a sexual abuse victim who refused to be touched be another human being we wouldn't be disgusted. This is a victim of physical abuse who finds detachment as her security blanket.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    this article is the best thing i've read all day. thanks!

(and to answer your question: not disgusting at all.)

Beautifully written. Heart-felt and sad. Not disgusting at all. You are a very narrow-minded person for thinking this is disgusting. Did someone say you are studying to be a PA? Perhaps you should rethink your field of study. You have to be compassionate in the healthcare industry. You sir, are NOT compassionate by any means.

absolutely laughable.

my job is to get the sick better not to make sure they are ok with childhood issues. compassion on a forum? get outta here.

My sister is 9 months away from her Psychiatric NP license. She is all about healing the sick. Perhaps you should take a couple more psychology classes to getting a better understanding of the way people act/react to life events.

But as a surgeon you will not be working on cars - you will be working on people. Please don't forget that. You will have to communicate with people (many of them patients and families). They don't just wheel the bodies in for you to cut and wheel them away. There is more to it than the mechanics.

And try not to call people hun - it's condescending.
  • Jordonxo
    Jordonxo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can somewhat relate to this. I agree that most people take their weight loss as their only achievement. I started losing weight because I truly wanted to. Not because my kid judges me, or my mother in law who is afraid of fat people, or my that I am single now, or anything silly. I WANT to be healthy, to keep up with my child, and to be able to do things I can't do right now.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have healthy blood work at 43... so it's not just age.

43 is not old. Wait another 10-20-25 years....because lots of things can happen in that time, I was super healthy until I was 46/47. Had cancer twice in my 50's and was at age 63 diagnosed with systemic Lupus and now two years later I am trying to get out of the hole illness after the age of 50 has pushed me in. Please, don't take it for granted that just because you are well today, that you will be healthy in years to come.

I just want to rejoice that you said 43 is not old :)

I am working on my own demons and weight issues. But I can say, there are catalysts for change - and fear is one of them. Peer pressure is another. And lastly is simply the adaption of aging. Fear doesn't hit until the doctor tell you the bad news - or some similar situation, and then often once the numbness or denial sets in good and solid - the old habits still resume.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Beautifully written. Heart-felt and sad. Not disgusting at all. You are a very narrow-minded person for thinking this is disgusting. Did someone say you are studying to be a PA? Perhaps you should rethink your field of study. You have to be compassionate in the healthcare industry. You sir, are NOT compassionate by any means.

absolutely laughable.

my job is to get the sick better not to make sure they are ok with childhood issues. compassion on a forum? get outta here.

My sister is 9 months away from her Psychiatric NP license. She is all about healing the sick. Perhaps you should take a couple more psychology classes to getting a better understanding of the way people act/react to life events.

But as a surgeon you will not be working on cars - you will be working on people. Please don't forget that. You will have to communicate with people (many of them patients and families). They don't just wheel the bodies in for you to cut and wheel them away. There is more to it than the mechanics.

Wow. World's ****tiest bedside manner surgeon in the making!
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I agree. She states in the article "I’m more concerned with what my blood work reveals than what the number on the scale says" which is a good way to look at things, but I think she's missing the fact that her blood work may be fine now, but unless she becomes healthier/fitter overall, it WILL NOT stay that way.

Not necessarily. I'm 47, 5'5", 244 lbs (and have no desire to get less than 200 lbs - and if I don't, that's okay). My heart, blood work and BP are amazingly good. They always have been. I do have some joint issues, but they are not serious at all and, quite frankly, due to a tendency of injuring myself via marathon training, dancing, 5K training and a myriad of other physical activities (I often throw myself into an activity 110% which, admittedly, isn't the wise thing to do). I'm active and I eat well and, frankly, that's all that really matters to me (and my supersmart, skinny nerd boyfriend).

You can assume all you want that you know what her future is. The chances that you're wrong are pretty damned high. It's best that she get off the weight-loss roller coaster now, before she does irreparable damage to her body (http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/dieting-does-not-work-ucla-researchers-7832.aspx). As she works more with her doctors - doctors who see as a human being, not just a problem to be solved - she will, very likely, fall into a way a living that is healthy for her.

Kudos to her, I say.
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options

absolutely laughable.

Amazing, people who say don't don't judge other people so fast, always are the first ones to make judgments about other people
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

absolutely laughable.

Amazing, people who say don't don't judge other people so fast, always are the first ones to make judgments about other people

Just statin' the facts, hun. You turned your nose up at someone suggesting you may need compassion and you say you are going to be a surgeon so you don't?

Hope you don't do surgery for kids, or for people facing potentially life threatening situations, or anyone fearful of surgery, or c-sections, or any other number of operations where a patient might expect a little bit of compassion from their surgeon!
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You know, I find it really disturbing that an 800 pound dumbass troll can write garbage about his love for eating Twizzlers and steak and some users called his work artistic and creative, yet when we have a beautifully narrated piece about a woman accepting herself for who she is, we call that disgusting.

Not everybody wants to lose weight. Not everybody cares about the numbers on a scale. She is seeking psychiatric help for her issues. She is a productive citizen working. I have a friend who's over 300 pounds. Beautiful woman, and she accepts herself and loves herself and won't change just because society says she should. To me, being at peace with yourself is more important than reaching some goal weight.

I commend this woman. She is brave. If she decides to be healthy the rest of her life and never loses a damn pound the. More power to her. I tell you one thing, if the members on this site had the acceptance of themselves that this woman has for herself we'd see less, "omg I wanna quit," and "omg I just binged" threads on this forum. It's funny, we members lose a couple pounds and become high and mighty, like all of a sudden we're now qualified to piece her apart like the people in her life pieces her apart; like the people in our lives have done to us.

Whether she stays 250 pounds the rest of her life is up to her. If she decides to lose weight in the future, that's up to her. If she doesn't, as long as she's at peace, then more power to her.

She's a burden on the community? Because of her job productivity I believe someone said. Didnt she say she is working a desk job somewhere. And even if she's not, have you seen the biggest loser? Those big people on there are probably in better shape than half of us on here. And don't give me that crap about being a burden on the healthcare industry. Because it costs more for bigger beds?! Give me a break! With that logic any preventable health issue is a burden on the healthcare system.

Ok, I'm done now. For now.
  • totalsham
    Options

absolutely laughable.

Just statin' the facts, hun. You turned your nose up at someone suggesting you may need compassion and you say you are going to be a surgeon so you don't?

Hope you don't do surgery for kids, or for people facing potentially life threatening situations, or anyone fearful of surgery, or c-sections, or any other number of operations where a patient might expect a little bit of compassion from their surgeon!

dont talk about things you dont know about or understand. k thanks!
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it is disgusting? its her choice.

You're kidding... right?

It is her choice, even though she is just slowly killing herself. People who don't care about themselves can find ways to be content with all sorts of bad behavior: be it overeating, not exercising, doing drugs, sex addiction...you name it. She obviously has deep seated self esteem issues, and she's fighting against one thing she shouldn't be: her health. Still like another poster said, it is her choice, and she's not hurting ANYONE except for herself.

her family... her community... oh yea and the burden of the healthcare system

Oh, please, quit it with that Conservative holier than thou "Health Care" system crap. What is truly disgusting about the story and some of the subsequent comments is the condescension and utter lack of empathy for this individual. Yes, she is overweight, and yes, she is making some excuses, but just because you are a fitness "success" does not give you the right to judge.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

Said the person who called this "disgusting..."
  • totalsham
    Options
    Why do you think it is disgusting? its her choice.

You're kidding... right?

It is her choice, even though she is just slowly killing herself. People who don't care about themselves can find ways to be content with all sorts of bad behavior: be it overeating, not exercising, doing drugs, sex addiction...you name it. She obviously has deep seated self esteem issues, and she's fighting against one thing she shouldn't be: her health. Still like another poster said, it is her choice, and she's not hurting ANYONE except for herself.

her family... her community... oh yea and the burden of the healthcare system

Oh, please, quit it with that Conservative holier than thou "Health Care" system crap. What is truly disgusting about the story and some of the subsequent comments is the condescension and utter lack of empathy for this individual. Yes, she is overweight, and yes, she is making some excuses, but just because you are a fitness "success" does not give you the right to judge.

she quit.... gave up... wears that with pride

edit: also...easier to go with the current than fight it against it. I'm sure thats her thought process. then since she thinks she is helpless in this fight may as well empower herself and call it armor taking all the blame off the real issue her self control.

Quote:
    There are so many shades to the bariatric surgery rainbow: lap-bands and sleeve gastrectomies and gastric bypasses, oh my! Everything is gluten-free and nothing has carbs.

she overlooks exercise and goes to extremes with the surgery option... She says Expensive Gym memberships... lol this "child" could do all body weight exercise in the world and make huge progresses if she could get some self control.
  • totalsham
    Options

Said the person who called this "disgusting..."

yup. cause im going off the authors word. she knows nothing of my work ethic or people communication skills
  • marilynx
    marilynx Posts: 128 Member
    Options

absolutely laughable.

And yet, you sat on this thread and called this woman everything from disgusting to basically a burden on society. It's not nice being judged by someone you don't know, is it?

Don't be hypocritical. If you are working on becoming a surgeon, I understand you may be coming from a more medical perspective, but don't forget your human one. I suggest using your beliefs to make positive change, not tearing down because you are on your way to achieving a great feat.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options

absolutely laughable.

dont talk about things you dont know about or understand. k thanks!

As someone who has had to hand their child over for surgery 8 times, (1 lasted 12 hours, a few of them others were 8,6 and 4 hours long, and them some other mild stuff in comparison), please remember that there are people who dearly love the ones they are passing over to your care one day.

Also, when July hits and you are the "baby" doctor on the floor and a Mother comes in with a mildly complex kid, please listen to them. It will save you a major butt chewing. (Yes this happened to us)

All that said, we've been very lucky, each surgeon who worked on our son had the utmost compassion for life's difficulties we were dealing with. I only hope you can show the same when the time comes.

You are not God, You are not even playing God. And if you do develop said God complex, your reputation will run before you to other specialty groups through the hospital. I also know this first hand when hearing nurses groan when we mentioned one of my child's Dr (who we later "fired" and replaced with the second opinion Dr). I could stand the God complex, what I couldn't stand was sub par care for my son, I drew the line there. Esp when I had another specialty request a second opinion to help us find another Dr in the group.
  • mv730i
    mv730i Posts: 7 Member
    Options
  • totalsham
    Options
    As someone who has had to hand their child over for surgery 8 times, (1 lasted 12 hours, a few of them others were 8,6 and 4 hours long, and them some other mild stuff in comparison), please remember that there are people who dearly love the ones they are passing over to your care one day.

Also, when July hits and you are the "baby" doctor on the floor and a Mother comes in with a mildly complex kid, please listen to them. It will save you a major butt chewing. (Yes this happened to us)

All that said, we've been very lucky, each surgeon who worked on our son had the utmost compassion for life's difficulties we were dealing with. I only hope you can show the same when the time comes.

You are not God, You are not even playing God. And if you do develop said God complex, your reputation will run before you to other specialty groups through the hospital. I also know this first hand when hearing nurses groan when we mentioned one of my child's Dr (who we later "fired" and replaced with the second opinion Dr). I could stand the God complex, what I couldn't stand was sub par care for my son, I drew the line there. Esp when I had another specialty request a second opinion to help us find another Dr in the group.

Sorry for your experiences.... but you might want to realize you are going off of the word of others who dont even know me from adam before preaching to me ethics or how to handle people. In fact, its a internet forum, you dont even know their sanity, morals or ethics!

I am in the medical field due to my mothers past medical issues. so to preach to me compassion, without having shadowed me while talking to pts, is absurd.

thanks
  • ldrosophila
    Options

Sorry for your experiences.... but you might want to realize you are going off of the word of others who dont even know me from adam before preaching to me ethics or how to handle people. In fact, its a internet forum, you dont even know their sanity, morals or ethics!

I am in the medical field due to my mothers past medical issues. so to preach to me compassion, without having shadowed me while talking to pts, is absurd.

thanks

So since you will probably have to do a family health rotation...this woman is sitting in the exam room all you have is her chart in front of you...how would you handle it? How would you gain her trust to listen to your advice?