How disgusting is this...

Options

Replies

• totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    PAs aren't surgeons. They can be surgical assistants but that's not something that gets you a lot of bedside time.

not true.

PAs play an integral role in the global management of cardiothoracic surgery patients, including all aspects of peri-operative care from performing patient histories and daily rounds to invasive surgical procedures, including the critical retrieval of vascular tissue in coronary bypass procedures.

CT PAs often fill the role as first assistant and primary care PA on all adult and pediatric cardiac cases. They also exhibit extensive knowledge of artificial cardiac devices, ventilators and the pharmacologic effects of vasoactive/cardiotonic drugs. Most CT PAs work 50-60 hours each week, providing patient care expertise in the postoperative acute care units, step-down units and regular floors.

As the specialty of cardiothoracic surgery continues to evolve, the flexible and adaptable nature of the surgical PA will be an essential element for every successful practice.

Job Qualifications

Highly technical and demanding skills are mastered through years of physician assistant practice, master degree and post-graduate surgical residency.
    Duties & Responsibilities

Performs patient histories and physical exams
    Handles daily patient rounds (including the CVICU), patient education and discharge summaries
    Performs invasive procedures, such as thoracenteses, chest tube insertions, placement of central venous, dialysis and Swan-Ganz catheters, arterial lines and intra-aortic balloon pumps
    Exhibits autonomy in the operating room when required
    Retrieves vascular tissue, including greater and lesser saphenous veins and/or radial arteries, for use as a bypass conduit
    Often uses endoscopic retrieval methods and involved in the industrial aspect of EVH
    Performs first assistant duties on all adult and pediatric cardiac cases, thoracic and major/minor vascular cases

Meets the specific needs of the attending surgeon, often assisting several surgeons in a single practice
    Has exacting knowledge of each surgeon's idiosyncrasies to expedite the procedure and limit patient morbidity and mortality
    Uses knowledge of medical model to promote synergistic relationship between physician and PA
    Has extensive knowledge of the pharmacologic effects of vasoactive/ cardiotonic drugs, ventilator management and artificial cardiac devices

Performs duties of a primary care PA
    Manages other disease entities frequently encountered in the cardiac population, namely hypertension, diabetes, COPD, asthma, hypothyroidism and others
  • totalsham
    totalsham Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My son had surgery. I had a surgeon present for my birth. I watched my housemate have a c-section. Spoke to the surgeons in all scenarios. Tell me again how I know nothing?

well. watch out... we have a bad *kitten* here.

What's funny here is that you're likely to find yourself assisting surgeons working on patients you have nothing but disdain for.

Good luck with that. Sounds fulfilling.

i have zero disdain for people in need of help. thanks for the luck
  • Mychefcat
    Mychefcat Posts: 5
    Options
    If I am reading her essay correctly it looks like this lady had a childhood that was mostly horrible with parents that were not there for her. She started eating a lot and gained a lot of weight which of course is a visible result of overeating. Many people disapprove of her overeating and their disapproval makes her feel bad. She feels angry and frustrated. Rather than stop overeating to gain their approval she is choosing to oppose the disapproval by accepting her overeating.

Overeating can and eventually will make you sick and it can kill you.

Suppose she was drinking heavily instead of overeating. Drinking heavily may not produce as visible an effect as overeating but drinking heavily can and eventually will make you sick and it can kill you also. Is the disapproval more or less acceptable if she is drinking heavily? What if she is a meth user? A smoker?

What if she had developed a coping mechanism that did not have visible side effects and did not involve ingesting something. Suppose instead she developed a habit of walking up to people and kicking them in the leg. That won't make you sick or kill you (unless you get seriously pummeled by the kickee) but it will sure get you a lot of disapproval.

All of us choose our behaviors. Some behaviors create visible results and some do not. Some will get you approval and others will get you disapproval. Disapproval might take the form of arch looks and cutting remarks or it might take the form of criminal charges. We can choose to conform our behavior or not. But our choice does not have an effect beyond ourselves. If we don't conform and we keep eating and doing meth we will get sick and possibly die. If we keep kicking people in the leg we will eventually get smacked and arrested. If we don't conform we will suffer but the disapproval will not, It will be unchanged.

If we do conform and we eat and drink in a healthy way we will be affected -- our health will improve. If we don't kick people in the leg we won't get punched or arrested. Again, the effect is limited to us. The approval is unchanged.

We are all in the same boat. Huge people, scrawny people, meth heads and leg kickers. Disapproval does not diminish just because we accept our own behavior. When we behave in our own best interest -- do what is best for us -- we win. When our behavior is a reaction to approval or disapproval, well, then we are not doing what is best for us, are we?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My son had surgery. I had a surgeon present for my birth. I watched my housemate have a c-section. Spoke to the surgeons in all scenarios. Tell me again how I know nothing?

well. watch out... we have a bad *kitten* here.

What's funny here is that you're likely to find yourself assisting surgeons working on patients you have nothing but disdain for.

Haha.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Author has some serious issues

:noway: yeah, I found that a very disturbing read. :ohwell:
    I think I'm supposed to feel richer for having read it but unfortunately, my glass being half full, I just don't get it. :sick:

What I mean to say is, I didn't get anything out of this, was I supposed to?:ohwell:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

This is cute.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    Look, I don't think we should be celebrating the author's mental health issues, but what I think is important here is that she is finally refusing to be defined by other peoples' definitions of healthy and beautiful. She is getting help, she is working on these issues. She only 'quit' if your definition of healthy and beautiful is different than her definition. Right? And that is kind of her point. She is only a quitter for not trying to lose weight if you think that everyone should be trying to lose weight and get down to a certain size. And she has decided not to care about that anymore, and to only care about her own goals. There is something awesome about that.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I find it more sad than anything else.
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Written beautifully. I am not sure about how I feel. If this was my daughter,friend or loved one (and I have had a Grandmother die from diabetes related issues and a Grandmother who lived till she was 99) I would do anything,anything to help them. I know ultimately it's their choice and their body.

If she was my daughter. I would hurt for her. Who cares what ppl say.i would hurt because she would suffer in her body and be unwell with so many things.

I want her to have full healthy life. I have obese friends and I love them and I want them around for a very log time.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    OP, you're training to be a PA? I feel sorry for your patients. Empathy is an important quality in a health care professional.

first off... stop.

secondly. i just went from 231 to 186 pounds since feb. I know what it is to be obese. so take your protest sign elsewhere.

^this

Agreed. Her self loathing (and others) are the reason health care is SOOOOO costly. All of our bad habits...added on to bad genes. Personally, I find it a very sad story, but there is a big difference between "empathy" and "enabling", when it comes to situations like this. As healthcare providers, it's our DUTY to inform people that they are literally killing themselves....even if they are "okay" with it.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Why do you think it is disgusting? its her choice.

You're kidding... right?
    I suggest you head to the library or book store and pick up a copy of She's Come Undone.
    Great Book...
  • hookilau
    Options
    Is it bad I want my 25 minutes back? :huh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with being a certain size. It's just sad that she's given up on her health and day to day functionality and comfort as a person because she lacks the knowledge and willpower to change.

She clearly hates being fat. She complains about not fitting into chairs for crying out loud. She just wrote this article to make herself feel better for not doing anything about it.

It's great and important to accept yourself, but it's not great to recognize a significant dysfunction that you can actually change and then not do anything about it because your clumsy first attempts failed.

It sucks that she is defined by people for her weight, but that doesn't mean it's laudable to throw your hands up in the air and just be obese.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I'm not disgusted, I'm f*cking heartbroken. The Mama Bear in me is welling up for that little 7-year-old supergirl.

Here here. Sometimes, I think it's wild that just having functional reproductive organs qualifies people to be parents.
  • hookilau
    Options
    As for the article, I'm not a fan of her style. She switches between multiple voices, never making it clear exactly which one she is using:
    -Despair
    -Sarcasm
    -Social criticism
    -Defiance
    -Factual history

I ended with no clear idea of who she is.

That's exactly how I feel :laugh: ...confused!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    regardless if the people are obese, smoking, drinking to much etc, it cost the rest of us a tone of money because of other peoples bad choices. If she chooses to be obese then she is choosing the consequences but needs to pay for them as well. If she is choosing to do things to her body that will cause health issues then maybe she should pay more for health care.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I feel bad for this lady... I feel bad because I feel like she is giving up....she's been through so much in life that she just gave up and stopped trying....she feels like no one will care or love her....I believe she is hiding behind her weight ...she kind of uses it to protect her from others...maybe so she can't risk getting hurt..sad!!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Everybody has a story, mine was similar to hers as far as the abuse and weight issues go but I decided to lose the weight and get control over my weight and emotions instead of just quitting.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    We're almost done with this thread! I've seen some legit points here, and even though a lot of people interpreted this essay differently than I did, it's given me a lot to think about. Thanks for that. I can definitely see why this essay might disturb, sadden, and frustrate people.

For the rest of you, well you know. :)

Relevant:

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22352-1368730096-18.gif

ETA: adding this because ninja kitty is awesome.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-31753-1374696599-21.gif
  • devastation77
    Options
    "If you don’t conform to the norm, you’re expected to sweat yourself into a headline: “How One Woman Went from Obesity to a Bikini Body.” As if the two are mutually exclusive. But if you choose, as I have chosen, to stop the presses, to throw out all the “inspirational” sizes in your closet, that your weekly meals don’t have to be more meticulously planned than the raid that killed Bin Laden, you aren’t just flipping off cultural expectations; you’re upending other people’s hopes for you"

Weight loss doesn't require meticulous meal planning. She also takes a dig at people joining gyms.

Yay for her for making her own (dubious) choices, but she seems to not practice what she preaches.