Squats and Big Booties; redux

Options
Achrya
Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
Today my friends I am here to talk about big butts, squats, and what really happens. And I'm going to tell this tale with progressive booty shots, but first more words.

I squat. I squat heavy, 5x5, for me. My heavy is someone else's light, I'm sure but the beauty of heavy lifting is that it's what's heavy for you the individual, so long as there is progression. I literally started with 8lb dumbbells and now my max squat is 110. Moving on!

Now I've heard that people do squats to get a bigger booty and that some people seem to worry that heavy squats will make their behinds bigger, or that squats in general will make their behinds bigger, while they lose weight because of this fact. I've also seen people talk about how squats shrank the booty as they lost weight. How can both of these things exist together and be true? Simple, it's a matter of perception/placement/tightness. To demonstrate this we shall use my own booty. (Say booty again...)

Early May: I have your typical moderately sized black woman booty. Not a 'Dayum' booty, but also not 'small'. It is however flabby and such. Note how the bottom rests against my legs. Sad state. I shall thank you all to ignore my illfitting bottoms.

mfnAdco.jpg

Early June: Just finished stage one of New Rules of Lifting. I was squatting the bar at this stage, having started with dumbbells. Notice how the booty has risen up a little and appears more shapely. Perhaps even 'larger', but also notice my butt is not longer eating my bikini because it fits! Which indicates my butt hasn't gotten bigger.

UnCKyuk.jpg?1

Late June: Butt has moved itself even higher. At this point I began noticing my jeans were a little harder to pull over my booty, but had a distinct gap in the back. Why? Had my butt gotten bigger? Nope, it'd just shifted and gotten firmer. Where once it was a marshmallow that melded to whatever I put on, now it had its own distinct shape and didn't like to be smushed. So while over all smaller, I did have some issues with pants. But the good kind of issues.

uphu0tf.jpg?2

Late July: These bottoms are actually too tight (I got them in the Jr's department in a five. Don't you judge me!) but I wore them to better show off the butt. Please notice the overall smoothness of my legs and butt. More importantly notice how it no longer rests upon my legs? We have a closer shot here to display that, and also to better show what I was talking about above. My butt is higher and firmer and in an overall more pleasing location. My pants are a bit tight going up still, but again not because of an increase in size, but because of a shift in location. Oh, and looks good in clothes.

KgKMFWn.jpg?1
ZXLTECf.jpg?1
b69URkw.jpg?1

So here we are. Do squats make your butt look bigger? Well yes, but it's not that it's 'bigger' it's that it shifts and changes in shape/firmness. It pokes out instead of sliding downward. Can squats contribute to an overall slimming of your behind? Yes, assuming you're eating at a deficit and are patient because spot reduction isn't a thing. My everything is smaller (Gone from a 10/tight 8 to a 8/6/real tight 4 that one time). Can you squat heavy while losing weight and feel like your butt is getting bulky/bigger? Yes. But you're wrong. Tighter pants doesn't mean bigger butt, I promise, it means a better butt. Marshmallow Vs...i don't know, something firmer than a marshmallow. You may be used to your butt just shaping to your jeans and do the tightness as it no longer does that scares you off, but don't let it. Keep losing weight all over and the difference will soon be clear. Baring that, measuring tape. Pretty handy.

*Note: This is in regards to those losing weight. I know some people do squats later to build the booty while not trying to lose.

Replies

• Achrya
    Options
    Holy crap that was long.

Anyway. Now that I am done blathering I think it would be awesome if other ladies could show the progress their booties have made, to further display this point that that it works for many different butts on many different ladies (Or men, even)
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome way to explain it! Your behind is looking awesome! :D

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Does not take pictures of her butt. It's a sad white girl booty (even though I squat 240lbs). But it and my legs have improved the most with weight loss.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Excellent explanation!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Dayum!

That is a very nice booty ya got there.
  • MissVamp13
    MissVamp13 Posts: 53
    Options
    Ive just decided Ill add more squats to my workout later. I have a big booty but it needs lifting and toning x
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Your obliques are also looking much improved. You look fabulous!
  • Achrya
    Options
    Ive just decided Ill add more squats to my workout later. I have a big booty but it needs lifting and toning x

Moar squats! Make it go from wide-big/saggy-big/whatver-big to out-big, as someone on my FL said.

Dayum!

Why thank you. I'd thank to thank heavy squats for giving me the confidence to pimp out my booty for the sake of in-depth explanations, science, and the MFP way.

Still hoping to see some other butts here. I know for a fact some of you MFP ladies are owners of fantastic booties.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    no pics, but I've been bulking and doing stronglifts for strength gains while not caring that much about aesthetics.... can you believe in spite of eating at a surplus I've actually LOST an inch off my behind. I'm really not sure how that happened, but I suppose it must be the reshaping you're talking about, because it is higher up (so to speak) and the shape is definitely improved. I was actually shooting for making my glutes bigger. Anyway, I like their shape, that's what counts.

And the other day I squatted 135lb for 5 sets of 5 reps. My bodyweight's gone from 130lb to 137lb (so far) in 12 weeks (note, of deliberately eating more than I burn off to gain lean weight) so I'm really close to 5 sets of 5 reps of squatting my bodyweight, and my current squat weight is 5lb more than what my bodyweight was when I started stronglifts.

ETA: I'm actually only on week 8 of stronglifts (about to start week 9) but due to a couple of hiatuses, 12 weeks have elapsed since i started. So the weight gain is over a 12 week period, but it's only 8 weeks of actual lifting. (Just to be clear)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Dayum!

^^^ agreed!
  • tatasmagik
    tatasmagik Posts: 185
    Options
    I have a chronic case of Noassatall. I've been squatting for almost three weeks now and seeing a small improvement. I'll post photos when the progress is worth sharing.

Meanwhile, I am inspired by your progress and sharing of photos. Your *kitten* is amazing.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the illustration and explanation! When I started working out 2 months ago, I seriously think I had NO muscle in my butt. Now 18 lbs gone, I still have a "marshmallow" butt (love this term btw :o), however, there is more muscle underneath all the cushion. I'd like to see my derierre lifted and firmed, and now I know what I need to do to get it there! Thanks a bunch!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    They work for fat girls, too. My butt is still marshmallow, but squats have lifted it and helped give it definition. No before picture, I never thought to take a picture of my rear prior to lifting :laugh:

kb9mRof.jpg
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Dat azz
  • Achrya
    Options
    no pics, but I've been bulking and doing stronglifts for strength gains while not caring that much about aesthetics.... can you believe in spite of eating at a surplus I've actually LOST an inch off my behind. I'm really not sure how that happened, but I suppose it must be the reshaping you're talking about, because it is higher up (so to speak) and the shape is definitely improved. I was actually shooting for making my glutes bigger. Anyway, I like their shape, that's what counts.

And the other day I squatted 135lb for 5 sets of 5 reps. My bodyweight's gone from 130lb to 137lb (so far) in 12 weeks (note, of deliberately eating more than I burn off to gain lean weight) so I'm really close to 5 sets of 5 reps of squatting my bodyweight, and my current squat weight is 5lb more than what my bodyweight was when I started stronglifts.

ETA: I'm actually only on week 8 of stronglifts (about to start week 9) but due to a couple of hiatuses, 12 weeks have elapsed since i started. So the weight gain is over a 12 week period, but it's only 8 weeks of actual lifting. (Just to be clear)

This is an awesome addition to the topic! (even without pictures. :tongue: ) Because it shows that even while bulking/eating at a surplus while hoping to get bigger glutes, getting a bulky booty is a difficult process. One does not simply build muscle/get bulked up just by working out certain areas, and certainly not while eating less. It's hard enough while eating more! Even with slow deliberate weight gain it takes work.

Also I'm jealous. I wanted to be squatting my own body weight by my birthday but that seems so far off now. I hope your bulk turns out well. :flowerforyou:
  • kbtommi
    kbtommi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You look great! :bigsmile: I also do squats, stairs, etc. I haven't taken pics of my rear, as a married over-40 lady I don't think I will but...:laugh: I had to smile though, because I've always had the same issue even though I'm a white girl (which I attribute to my eastern euro heritage...my mom calls it the "Baltic figure" LOL!) I used to get teased about it when I was in school. I also do squats & I've gotten to a point in my life where I actually like the way my rear looks now & my curves in general just look better after incorporating weights. :happy:

Keep up the great work! You've inspired me to try some heavier squats! :drinker: :happy:
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous of your booty! I finished Stage 1 in June and took pics but I didn't get the same fabulous results. And then I went of vacation for two weeks and gained a bit :mad: But I'm in Stage 2 now, cut the calories a bit, and just doing the best I can.

Suggestions are welcome!

Looking good in workout clothes!
    IMG_0738.jpg

But we all know bathing suits tell a truer story.
    Beginning Stage 1.
    IMG_0520.jpg

End of Stage 1.
    IMG_0742.jpg

I see very little improvement and others probably see none. I ain't givin' up, though!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Damn, those are some amazing results in a really short amount of time!

I'm still amazed at what's gone on behind my back. :wink: Same weight in both sets of photos. June of 2011 was when I first hit my goal weight, doing cardio and light lifting (bodyweight and 5 pound dumbbell circuit training). November 2012 was about 2 months into Stronglifts. And I wasn't disappointed in my results when I first lost. I thought that's what a 39 year old bum looks like. It wasn't until I started lifting and taking new pictures that I realized my bum was getting younger!

135-back_zps2403fa19.jpg

135-back-flex_zps8b3ac894.jpg

A more current photo. Yeah, I gained a little weight, and I have a little more "projection" to my bum now, but my hips are narrower, my stomach flatter, so my overall measurements and clothing size are about the same. I like that my bum is no longer a part of my leg, that there's separation and definition between the two.

side-view_zpsf4fd8998.jpg

back_zps353f4200.jpg
  • Achrya
    Options
    They work for fat girls, too. My butt is still marshmallow, but squats have lifted it and helped give it definition. No before picture, I never thought to take a picture of my rear prior to lifting :laugh:

kb9mRof.jpg

And that is a fine perky butt indeed.

[/quote]Dat azz[/quote]

Dat-*kitten*-random-27000308-308-400.jpg
  • Galloping4God
    Galloping4God Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's great!! Keep it up! That's such a good encouragement, because although I'm not squatting a lot (20lbs), my rear has gotten so much shape and looks bigger (but is actually smaller!) :)
  • knucklesammie
    knucklesammie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    i agree it takes time to make it bigger, first it transforms the shape! you and all the other ladies who shared their progress are looking great! ps i love your style! :love: :flowerforyou: