How gross is fast food to you

Options

Replies

• fatgulegule
    fatgulegule Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love fast food, despite how bad it is for you. I don't eat it a lot, maybe once or twice a month, but when I do I savour every last bite!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The only thing I miss since going vegetarian is McDonald's fries. They fry them in beef fat. :-(

Wait what? In beef fat? o_o
    Somehow I was not expecting this :noway:

It's a canola/soy oil blend, not beef fat. I think years ago it was delicious glorious beef fat, but they switched.
    It couldn't have been that long ago, but I know they've made changes. I thought they just got rid of the trans fat.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I tried eating Mcdonalds for the first time in over a year and my body rejected it within 30 mins. It was horrible. It was so not worth it!

I have a former vegetarian friend. After four years without meat he had some chicken and was sick 20 minute later. Does this make meat not worth it and gross, or does it just mean his body needs time to adjust to something it hasn't had in years?
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I do low-carb, so my choices are limited. But when I do burgers without the bun or ketchup it's actually quite filling, and about half the calories.

I'm not wild about the cholesterol, sodium, or trans fats, but in a pinch (and only once in a while) I don't think it's bad at all.
  • moonshine_betty
    moonshine_betty Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    In NYC, there are no drive throughs, so one has to go inside the store.

Um, I'm in NYC too and that is SO not true. I was at a White Castle just last Friday that had a drive-through and in my 12 years here I've been to/seen Wendys, Burger King, Starbucks (!), Taco Bell and McDonalds drive-throughs. These places were in Brooklyn, The Bronx, Queens and Staten Island so yeah, definitely NYC. Unless by "NYC" you mean just Manhattan which, while inaccurate, tends to be what some people mean when they say NYC. :mad: I haven't seen a drive-through in Manhattan and I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't any there.
  • rml_16
    Options
    What scares me, and what I find gross...people...and what people are capable of in the food industry and what they are capable of doing to other peoples food while preparing it and serving it.

See, I know this happens on rare ocassions, but I have worked in the food industry, the SO worked in it for years, my best friend has pretty much spent her entire adult life working in one restaurant or bar or both or another and none of us has ever seen this happen.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    And while I'm all for teaching children to eat healthy, teaching them that certain things are "bad" is a good way to ensure they have a really horrible relationship with food later on.

Absolutely not true.
  • eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I never had it much to begin with, coming from a family of healthy eaters. But I'm not supposed to eat highly fatty foods, or gluten so I have genuine reasons not to now. That said, sometimes (maybe once every few months) I get a real...taste for something, usually some fries with sweet and sour sauce or a zinger burger from KFC. I make it wait a few days, because I'd rather not eat it. But if I still want one, I get it. And the reason I rarely even want to get them? They're never actually NICE. Or at least, they aren't what I wanted/imagined them to be. The bread is too sweet, the chips too salty, and the packet they're in is covered in oil stains. Still, I would rather be disappointed by it occasionally because it's the best way to dash any cravings for it I have, and I rarely finish what I actually buy anyway.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I am so grossed out by fast food, which is why I ate it for lunch on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and most likely today. /sarcasm

I don't believe in demonizing food. If it fits my goals, it's fair game. Like the 4 cookies i ate yesterday.
  • rml_16
    Options
    And while I'm all for teaching children to eat healthy, teaching them that certain things are "bad" is a good way to ensure they have a really horrible relationship with food later on.

Absolutely not true.
    Bcattoes has spoken. I must be wrong.
  • Achrya
    Options
    Basically if I eat bad food then try to go for a run it hinders how far I can go, therefore as soon as you begin to exercise you will see the effect it is actually having on your body and you will learn to eat for fuel. :)

Lol. K then...

I don't run, I lift heavy, so I'm cool to keep eating 'bad' food, right?

I like beer and cheeseburger fueled runs myself

IDK man, according to some random woman on the internet eating fast food before a run hinders your performance. She seems legit so you should take her advice over your own experience.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Basically if I eat bad food then try to go for a run it hinders how far I can go, therefore as soon as you begin to exercise you will see the effect it is actually having on your body and you will learn to eat for fuel. :)

Lol. K then...

Beer runs! I always go farther and run longer when I've had a (single) beer first. And chicken wings.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Absolutely not true.
    Hahahahahahahaha!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    What scares me, and what I find gross...people...and what people are capable of in the food industry and what they are capable of doing to other peoples food while preparing it and serving it.

See, I know this happens on rare ocassions, but I have worked in the food industry, the SO worked in it for years, my best friend has pretty much spent her entire adult life working in one restaurant or bar or both or another and none of us has ever seen this happen.

In the short time I was in the fast food industry, I have seen this happen...and had someone fired because of it. I know it doesn't happen everywhere or all the time, but it does happen.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't find it disgusting which is my problem, lol

I know it's not healthy all the time with the weird things they do to food, but everyday we live we're dying sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, yeah. haha
  • rml_16
    Options

Lol. K then...

Beer runs! I always go farther and run longer when I've had a (single) beer first. And chicken wings.
    My mother claims if she drinks a specific number of beers, it improves her bowling. One too few or one too many and it doesn't work.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell fiend, myself. I can go without the burgers forever, but to give up Taco Bell? Not if I have the calories for it. :)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell fiend, myself. I can go without the burgers forever, but to give up Taco Bell? Not if I have the calories for it. :)

3 words... Doritos Locos Tacos
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Interesting recent study of posted caloric content in fast food restaurants had no, or adverse, effects on people in what they ordered:

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/who-cares-about-calories-restaurant-menu-labels-dont-work-study-6C10677922
  • Achrya
    Options

Absolutely not true.

And I snorted water through through my nose onto my kindle. I hope you're happy.

I can't top that. Back to bed for me.