Like minded Lushes - September

Options

Replies

• mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hello.....

nisijam5 - Have a wonderful trip!!!! Safe "happy & healthy!!

KarenBorter - I was happy to see you had some good Greek Food! But did you do any of the circle dances? Greek food is always included in our holiday celebrations. Pastichio (Greek lasagne) is the most difficult dish I make. I have cooked it several times, and it always takes a minimum of 2 to 3 hours. But I think Grandma would be proud!
    Oh and because you asked.... I'm 5'4", ( other details: 150lbs, 49yrs old, mom of 2 college students, & one beautiful furbaby)

Oldbat61 - Way to go!!! I'm impressed!!!!

Yvonnej1 - I hope you are feeling better. Sounds like a touch of the flu -

rjadams - I was right there with you. I couldn't sleep, I tried all my standard tricks, reading, laying under the covers, writing in my journal - nothing helped.

To one and all.... what diet program are you following? For how long? And are you happy with your progress? I switched from low fat, counting calories (my own version) to Atkins. I am on day 2 of induction, so no alcohol for a while. I have used Atkins in the past (I was much younger) and it was very effective (for me). For now it is just a "wait & see". My goal is to "jumpstart" my weight loss and gradually add back in more "healthy" carbs.

yesterday - 0 alcohol
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Mom, for the well wishes...yummy greek food sounds delicious

Monday, Tuesday...no drinks...I'm on a roll
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Thurs-Sunday-Vegas, so there was drinking. Monday I did not drink, but Tuesday I had such a stressful day I made myself a big marg-two shots of tequila blanca and one shot tangerine tequila with sprite, which led to me calling papa john's but I got the thin crust hawaiian which isn't TOO bad. I felt better and I was two pounds lighter today from Monday, maybe dehydrated?
  • amysj303
    Options
    oh, and, mom, I am following the "counting calories" and try to stick to 1200/day (plus any exercise calories I earn). I don't have a lot to lose and am trying to work in little changes slowly, like eating more fruits and veggies and trying to run 5k.
  • mom216
    mom216 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    sjerven - Wow running 5k is wonderful!!!!

I'm sticking to 1200 calories & slowly adding in exercise - I just finished 45 min on the exercise bike - I have health issues - so I'm limited to swimming, eliptical, treadmill, exercise bike and weights. When I tried Pilates - I had lower back problems. Geez I'm getting old:laugh:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I aim for between 1250 and 1450 cals during the week and let go a little on the weekends.
    I have things set at Carb 40% Protein30% Fat 30% I keep sodium under 2000mg and aim for 30 grams of fiber.

I am back in maniac mode on exercise putting in 3 - 5 hours a day during the week and 2 hours on Saturday. This is how I lost the first 34 pounds and I hope it is how I can lose the last 15:happy:
  • Oldbat61
    Options
    Just 48 hours to go and then I can have that gin & tonic I have promised myself!

Mom - thanks for the encouragement.

I am 5ft 5ins, 62 years old and am currently on 1260 calories a day. For 14 days I set myself a goal of no alcohol and tried to keep fat to 5% or less. Have been eating 2 bowls of Special K a day, with one cooked meal with plenty of fruit and vegatables both with the meal and as snacks during the day. Have tried to drink lots of water. Am doing a Pilates class once a week with my daughter and we go swimming (my granddaughter comes with us) once a week.. Have just bought myself WiiFit Plus so am doing some of the exercises on that as well as trying to power walk 30 minutes 4-5 times a week and working in my garden. Will be weighing myself again on Saturday - lost 3lbs in week one. I certainly feel better, so am hoping that I have lost more weight. From Saturday I plan to go onto a healthy eating plan; I will watch the calories and portion sizes but I will allow myself the occasional treat (such as the gin and tonic at weekends!) and will keep up the exercise. With the autumn/winter coming so that I will be spending less time in my garden, I shall take myself off for more walks in the countryside at a gentler pace, as well as still doing the power walking.

Good luck all and keep strong. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Well, broke out a bottle of skinny girl margaritas...have a good night, I know, I am
  • Wendybirduk
    Wendybirduk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 1200 calorie a day thing and it seems to be working. Lost 5lb in first week (too much really) but my biggest thing is no booze through the week. Last night was a bit of a hard one. No particular reason but I REALLY wanted a drink!

I managed to avoid it by cleaning the kitchen thoroughly and then going to bed early lol. Feel better for it this morning and as it is Thursday I know I can have a wine tomorrow night so today I am tidying as much as I can and going for a walk.Just have to find something to do tonight to keep my mind off the booze.

Sparkling water in a wine glass just doesn't doesn't hit the mark does it? lol
  • lmburi
    Options
    So far, so good on the new goal. No drinks for 4 days now, even after dinner out with my husband on Tuesday and our weekly Wednesday night with our couple friends with whom we usually drink 2+ bottles of wine in a night. The real test will be the weekend of tailgating on Friday and bonfiring on Saturday...could be tricky. Cheers!
  • lmburi
    Options
    Wendy, I love that you drank sparkling water in a wine glass. I've totally done the crystal light in a martini glass or wine glass. It doesn't replace the joy of alcohol, but at least you feel kind of fun doing it!
  • nisijam5
    Options
    Wednesday...lushness creeped it's ugly head
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    so the open bottle of wine from Monday that I resisted then, proved too much for me last night. so I had wine. I had plenty fo calories for it but I don't why I can't seem to handle one week alcohol free anymore. ggggrrrrr:grumble:
  • nisijam5
    Options
    so the open bottle of wine from Monday that I resisted then, proved too much for me last night. so I had wine. I had plenty fo calories for it but I don't why I can't seem to handle one week alcohol free anymore. ggggrrrrr:grumble:

Mid-week crisis meltdown on my end...I can't explain yours
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Almost a full bottle last night :blushing: Oh well, so much for the 10 day hiatus. Husband gets home tonight and I leave tomorrow afternoon for my weekend in Chicago, where lushy-ness will prevail. :drinker:

As for the nutrition plan I'm following - it's loosely Paleo, not really Atkins. I'm aiming for high protein, high healthy fats and only carbs from fruits and veggies. I've cut all grain carbs right now because I'm very certain I have a sensitivity to certain grains.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    well i have been successful in not drinking since I started this site (other then the tiny bit of sake and a tiny bit of Ouzo ... I don't even count this stuff as drinking). today I weighed in and didn't lose ANYTHING. Makes me want to drink. But I won't because I want to lose this weight!
  • amysj303
    Options
    Went to happy hour last night and had this "perfect pear" martini-it's pear vodka with pear juice, simple syrup and some other sweet liquor. I didn't know how to log it, so I didn't.
    I have not been good about logging because I have been so busy.
    I know it sounds crazy, but I think if I go to bed hungry that's a good sign-like I didn't over-eat. mind games...
  • nisijam5
    Options
    I weighed in and didn't lose ANYTHING. Makes me want to drink. But I won't because I want to lose this weight!

This gives me a false sense of security in my lushness
  • johndee
    johndee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I just happened to stumble over this topic and glad I did. I try to keep my wine drinking to the weekends, but when I have to make a pit stop at the grocery store, I find myself wondering over to the wine isle.
    Sunday = 0
    Monday = 0
    Tuesday = 0
    Wednesday = 0
    Yet today, I have to stop off at the grocery store afterwork.... I'll probably end up wondering again.:indifferent:
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm resisting the wine well this week. Considering there's been a bottle of rose chilling in my fridge since the weekend it's quite an achievement for me. Mind you the fact that I'm not feeling 100% is contributing to the will power, haven't really felt like it.