Not Hating, Why Do Women Struggle With The Gym?

Options

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the concept that anyone who chooses not to work out in a gym is in some way struggling with the gym. The gym is one tiny option among many approaches to maintenance of strength, correct weight and fitness.

Some folks just don't feel drawn to it.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The guys at my gym actually make fun of me when I'm in there. A group of them copy whatever exercise I'm doing with the same weight I am using and loudly describe how light and easy it is. Sorry that I'm a beginner!! But despite that I still show up and do my best. I may only be squatting 85 and benching 65, but at least I am trying.

Pick the biggest loudest roid raging neanderthal in the gym to tell those kids to stfu. He wont say no.

I Agree!! Juveniles!! :grumble: I cannot beleive people act that way. I guess I am blessed with some supportive gym friends!

Keep going!! I started at 35 pound dead lift. I am up to 185 pounds as of last night! One of the teenagers was watching me lift. He said, "Ms. Linda, when I was sitting in your 3rd grade sunday school class, never in a million years would I have thought I would watch you dead lift 185 pounds!" He was excited for me. I told him I wished I had been lifting back then!!
  • hannamarie88
    hannamarie88 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    For me it is a whole lot having no idea what to do. I've never belonged to a gym. Never had a personal trainer. I have no idea what to do with the weights or machines (meaning weight machines, def know how to use the cardio stuff, just prefer to go run outside). I have a gym in my apartment complex and I went there a few times and just felt silly and without knowledge. Currently I'm doing two fitness programs where I am instructed what to do and I don't have to go in the gym to do them. I also find myself feeling judged in such a small confined space -- but that's probably all in my head.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    The guys at my gym actually make fun of me when I'm in there. A group of them copy whatever exercise I'm doing with the same weight I am using and loudly describe how light and easy it is. Sorry that I'm a beginner!! But despite that I still show up and do my best. I may only be squatting 85 and benching 65, but at least I am trying.

Pick the biggest loudest roid raging neanderthal in the gym to tell those kids to stfu. He wont say no.

Totally behind this idea!

Why didn't I think of this? Will have to give this a shot next time.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I've been going to my gym for almost a year now. It wasnt until I started training with a personal trainer that I went in the "weight room" Mainly because I had never seen another woman go in there. I'm still quite a lot overweight, and being paranoid I just thought all the men would judge me as a fat girl lifting, or not help me as they all seem to know each other. I've been going in the weight room for 6 weeks now, and I overheard on of the men talking to my trainer saying something like "shes doing well isnt she" while I was getting ready for my final set. It gave me a huge confidence boost. Not enough to venture in there by myself YET... but a few more weeks, and a bit more weight on those bars, and I think I'll bite the bullet (when its quiet LOL)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    What are your generalizations based off of???? When I go to the gym I see MORE women than men working out and working out HARD. No self image issues etc. I believe you are NOT HATING but you are entirely oblivious to reality when it comes to women and the gym. Could be because you are a man and you are too concerned with your own self image and only paying attention to the other men that are in the gym to compare yourself to.

Could also be the time you go to the gym is when ALL of the hard working women are home raising their families/kids etc.
    Might I suggest you study your generalization further by going to the gym at various times throughout the day and actually pay attention to how many women are in there busting *kitten*.

I know many men who have way more "issues" about going to the gym than I do women! :)

Considering how many honest responses this thread has received, it would appear that it is you who has an issue with stigmas and stereotypical assumptions toward the opposite sex. My wife has always been very active, background as a dancer and athlete, and absolutely despises the gym, likely for many of the same reasons other women here have mentioned. Though if you were to ask her she would have difficulty explaining in as good of a manner as others here have.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising. Plain and simple.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the gym. I hate people and they are usually found in the gym.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it because I get gassy when I lift and don't want to have to hold it in. I would rather lift in my basement and fart whenever I need to.

fart.gif
    LOL.....

p.s. woman don't have to hit the gym to get a strength training workout. Its called the great outdoors.
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I don't like the mirrors, don't like the crowds, don't being the only morbidly obese one in the room... etc. So, I go with invisible blinders on, look away from the mirrors, go when I think it will be the least crowded...
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    In my experience ( and I am very big and this may not be everyone reasoning) it's because people have either told me my sessions are not long enough or that I haven't worked hard enough or because they have asked me how I have the bare faced cheek to even attend seeing as I look like a bulga whale.

Where the hell are these gyms full of *kitten* that so many people here like to go to??? Maybe I'm lucky and just happen to frequent the only four gyms in the world where nice people congregate, but neither me nor my wife have ever been stared at, looked down upon, been berated for being fat, been prevented from using the equipment, had to deal with grunting freaks, or any of the other common gym complaints I keep reading about on here. These are regular, old Gold's Gym franchises in New Hampshire and Massachusetts, as well as a smaller mom-and-pop operation near my house. I've hit gyms in FL and NY while traveling there, too, and still no jerks. What gives?
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options

!
    Totally behind this idea

Why didn't I think of this? Will have to give this a shot next time.

If it doesn't work, let me know. I'm small but terrifying and I don't like bullies. :explode:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I am NOT hating. Just asking because this really interests me. IMO it's because they think it's all about running and loosing weight, and it's tied even deeper to their self-image than with men. Not to mention that women are not encouraged to be physically strong/able like men are.

I know many, many women like the gym, but I'm making a general statement here.

Discuss.

I found the machines intimidating when I first started. There are still some I don't know how to use.
    No one wants to end up in a gym fail youtube video because they're doing something stupid and someone films it. :bigsmile:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

I have the exact same thing. I grocery shop in the middle of the night. I never go to night clubs or social functions. I tried the gym a few times. Internally, I want to curl up and die. I'd rather buy my own workout equipment - which I've started doing. Can I get the very best workout at home? No. But I can make do.

You can get a damn good workout at home. I used to have a weight bench, and did everything at home. I still would if I had room for it where I live now. Space issues at home have forced me back to the gym. :smile:
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The message that we get from the media is that we have to constantly punish our bodies and deny ourselves pleasure just to look bare-minimum acceptable. Men might get that message to a lesser extent, but there is definitely a gender difference there. So that might be one reason, that women conceptualize the gym as negative thing they have to do because otherwise their bodies are unacceptable.

Personally, I have no issues with going to the gym. Most people just ignore me, and those who don't are friendly. In the beginning, I was a little self-conscious that everyone was going to stare at the fatty (me), but that didn't happen and I'm no longer the biggest person there.
  • Claire_x90
    Options
    cardio is cathartic it's so relaxing and nice to go for a run on a treadmill! When I joined my gym I took advantage of weekly personal training sessions and learnt how the machines work and I TRY to use them when I go... but cardio is more fun and better for my wellbeing even if weights are actually more helpful in getting the body that I want
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I dislike the gym bescause I am naturally lazy. No matter how much I force myself to go, I just don't enjoy it!!!
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Huh really? I dont hate it but I am amused by the guys in the weight section posing in front of the mirrors flexing their muscles...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    I believe it's because of magazines and media endorsing stupid broscience methods to losing weight and attaining a shape. And it starts young.

I've noticed that girls in middle school are trying to abstain from doing physical fitness (some due to sweating, messing up their hair, or because puberty is making it harder for them) and don't know if it carries on through high school. Personally, except for female athletes, I've never known any girl growing up that just went to the gym to lift and get stronger.

It's changing now though. May take another decade or so for some to see that the resistance training really is the ticket to a better body and not the crazy BS diets and scams that are still being passed around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is pretty insightful actually - especially about it starting young. I never knew anyone that went to the gym just to lift when I was younger. If you went to the gym, it was to get some cardio in to lose weight or to look better (without messing up your hair, of course). The thought of lifting weights never crossed my mind. I had 5, 8 and 12 pounds weights at my house and a treadmill. What did I need a gym for? As long as you looked good in a bathing suit, that's all you needed. Health and strength weren't important. Even in middle school, the girls played softball while the guys were lifting. That's they way it was unfortunately.

I would kill to be able to go back in time and slap myself for not educating myself more. I learned power cleans yesterday and I was like "where have these been all of my life?! these are awesome!" I wish that girls were taught to be more empowered through strength.
    I've been working with female teenagers as of late (but mostly athletes) to show them the benefits of strength training, but some are still stuck on the notion that they'll end up looking like guys if they do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just like to run outside