40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Great to see you back newbeg! Glad to hear you enjoyed your "stay-cation"

I attempted to go to the gym this morning. I actually got all the way there and had to go home. The water had been shut off between 7-9am for maintenance work- during the time I work out and shower before going to work. Since I don't live in the same town that my job and gym are, I don't have time to go home to shower, so today I just had to turn around and go home. I did do an aerobics dvd that I have at the house, which I guess was better than nothing.

Tomorrow is a rest day and hopefully Thursday I will be back at the gym.
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Good Mornng all

Welcome back newbeg! What a wonderful vacation you had. Great to hear that you enjoyed every darn minute of it, including the compliments, shopping, and eating! And to lose 1 lb no less! Woot!!:drinker:

Kelly - great job getting your workout in. Working out at home works too!

Today is day 7 of my reset. First week is almost officially over - 2 more weeks to go. Feeling good. Have not been hungry (hope that lasts) and am starting to see some downward movement on the scale. :happy:

Yesterday afternoon I spent "modelling" for a local business that caters to the outdoorsy people in the world - they offer kayaking, canoeing and stand up paddle board (lessons, excursions, rentals, etc) Anyway, I did some stand up paddle boarding and kayaking modelling. It was cold and windy but it was still fun! They were looking for 30+ year old models. I asked how 30+ did they want them? :laugh: They were actually looking for the 40+ year olds that can afford their trips - you know, fit, healthy, disposable income types?? Anyway, I was the only 30+ they had! :tongue:

Another cold day here. It was 47 degrees this morning on my way into work. :grumble:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,985 Member
    Options
    I have managed 1/2 strength workout since arriving. But we snorkel and swim all day long.

Today: Polynesian cultural centre + luau + night show (firedancing) - can't wait!
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    44/m here from NC. Dealing with Hypothyroidism. I was 41" in the waist on June 2012. Now, I am 32.75" in the waist as of August 10, 2013. I have gone from 238 pounds on 5-18-12 to 201.6 pounds this morning. I am nearing the end of weight loss and the beginning of maintenance. I want to hit 196 pounds (this would be 10% body fat for me). I am now 12.3% body fat right now. I have spent over a year in a gym. It has paid dividends. Anyone who need a supportive friend, send a message to add me as a friend.
  • sfburdett
    sfburdett Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    So what are the entry requirements for being one of the 40+ cool kids?
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Glad you had fun sdreski! Like i told you earlier I have a 22 yr old niece that did a pin up shoot for a car magazine! I felt really privileged that she called me for clothing ideas cause she knows I like to dress up in 50's fashion!

Beeps! Have fun! Everything sounds awesome!

Tom- Awesome work there! Inspiring! Welcome!

sfburdett- just come and chat with us! Any cool kid should be able to handle that!

Welcome back newbeg! So glad everything went so smoothly! ; )

Let's see... finally started some lifting..... still setting and finding my weight limits but that is half the fun!

I have been playing catch up on some of our business accounting ugh and been doing minimal exercise past few days. Some is better than none! I hope to finish it up and get a short hike in today! Supporting my friends on here is a joy, forcing myself to sit at the computer for hrs doing the accounting is just depressing! lol

Should be a fun weekend though! We have been tossing the idea of getting a camper trailer around for yrs now, (we spend a lot of time in hotels with work and travel) and we are finally going to go look at some this weekend!

I will make a run to the dairy tomorrow and maybe to the olive mill too to get fresh local olive oils, they have coffee too, may check that out as well!
    Oh in addition to all my other hormones being off my free testosterone is non existent! Dr does not know what to do yet about that as women of "childbearing " age should not be given testosterone! Guess we will get it sorted out!

Have a great weekend cool kids! xoxo ; )

Chelle
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ooh, fresh local olive oil--I'm jealous! We did go visit some olive oil producers when we were out in Paso Robles in July, which was a lot of fun (and some tasty stuff, too).

Forgot to mention that yesterday I got my first "warning" about the dangers of becoming "bulky" from weightlifting (from a coworker who has never said a thing about my weight loss, and believe me it's visible.). All I could think of was all the "bulky" posts on MFP.... I hope some day to be as bulky as some of the women here!
  • rdewald58
    rdewald58 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey cool kids!

Its been 4 weeks since I had my measurements checked and today the results were super..... I lost 3 lbs, 6 inches, and lowered my body fat by almost 1% to my goal level of getting below 14% (actual number today was 13.5%). I can now place myself into the "Athlete" class for the first time ever..... Woo Hoo!!!!

While the results were great, the biggest challenge that lies ahead is maintaining. I don't look forward to watching what I eat on a daily basis in addition to working out each day. However, I'll see how it goes and see what works the best. I think encouragement from this group and collegues will assist in keeping those inches off. Those little positive comments can go along ways in boosting ones self esteem....

My comments to the group, continue to work hard, if you fall off the routine and gain, use that as an incentive to push harder the following week. Enjoy life, it's too short already without having that extra stress of exercise and dieting.

Have a great week and weekend.
    RD
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Hello Cool Kids! Actually got to go to the gym this morning! Wahoo! Then off to start my morning with two meetings back to back. Not so fun! I am just getting on MFP for the first time today!

Beeps- sounds like you are having a great time on your trip.

rdewald- My hubby always teases me about being "bulky" someday- I agree with you though and hope I can be as "bulky" as some of the women on here. I have a long way to go but that doesn't mean it's not attainable!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    OHHH! I never thought of trying to find "fresh, local" olive oil. Must begin searching!

How was the fire dancing, Beeps? I had an employee who quit banking to do it full-time. Not in Hawaii though! LOL

Hope everyone is well! :smile:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Congrats, rdewald - i'm trying to get bodyfat below 20%. Hard.

Kellysue - i love it here. 45- minutes of strength-training, yesterday, and 5 hours of waterpark (pure cardio), today!

The fire-dancing was spectacular!

Haunama bay tomorrow to snorkel with turtles!
  • newbeg1ning
    newbeg1ning Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that yesterday I got my first "warning" about the dangers of becoming "bulky" from weightlifting (from a coworker who has never said a thing about my weight loss, and believe me it's visible.). All I could think of was all the "bulky" posts on MFP.... I hope some day to be as bulky as some of the women here!

really? ignore the haters, she's just jealous! Keep up the lifting, nothing wrong with having some muscle, you'll love the results!

Beeps - sounds like an amazing trip!

rdewald - great job! wish my bodyfat % was that low, agree with beeps IT IS HARD!

Kellysue - keep up the good work, keep lifting!

3 rounds of 10 Bear Complex at 65# yesterday (power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, push press, all in one fluid motion). All I can say is OMG! for the very first time I thought for sure I was going to yak, my arms are still a bit shaky this morning. The three rounds also included 20 mountain climbers and 30 situps in between.

Taking a rest day today and keeping my calories super low, meeting girlfriends for a drink or two after work (haven't had any alcohol since last summer), hopefully I won't get hammered:drinker:

Have a great weekend Kids!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Feeling a bit discouraged today. I gained back 2 of the 3lbs I lost last week. I know I haven't had the best week work out wise or food wise, but I guess I didn't realize it was that bad. Back to basics today. I walked this morning and will hit the gym tomorrow.

Busy weekend ahead. My mom is having surgery on her hand and arm today. It's day surgery so I am taking them dinner tomorrow to help out. Then we have a surprise birthday party to go to after church on Sunday. Will have to be mindful of calories and make sure to get those work outs in.

Have a good Friday all!
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi ya cool kids!

Beeps! I am glad you are having such fun! Say hello to the Puʻu ʻŌʻō crater and Halema'uma'u crater if you plan to go to Kīlauea. Kind of a volcano nut! lol My hubby says I should have been a Vulcanologist! lol

Rm- Love the muscles! Can't wait to have my own to show and do a bicep pic for my profile! lol

RD! Congrats! You are AWESOME!

Newbeg- Have fun and wow great workout!

Kelly- It'll be ok! just get back to what you were doing and you will be fine!

LBN- Yes love this olive place. They do tours and have a restaurant that they grow all their own stuff for! Have not eaten there yet but plan too! This one is in Gilbert, AZ.

Well off to play with my guys! They are organizing a bear party! (love build a bear workshop) We have so many bears now that they take up 2 of the living room couches!

Have a Great weekend cool kids!

Chelle ; )
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    <<<--- I took this photo, yesterday, while vacationing in Hawaii. My tummy is UBER white because I am not interested in baring all my tummy baby stretch-marks!

KellySue, don't be discouraged....just keep stumbling forward. Good luck with your mom!

Have a great weekend, princessofred!

I need a nap....
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    <----Wants to be a cool kid! (def over 40! 45 yesterday).
  • RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Beeps, naps are one of my favorite parts of vacation! Glad you're having an awesome time. And you look amazing, ain't nobody gonna look at your body and think "but ew, she's got stretch marks". But you gotta do what you're comfortable with. I'm dreaming of rocking a two piece next time we're in Hawaii, I'll see how that goes....

Hit the farmers' market this morning, tried not to go too crazy as we'll be off on vacation from Friday. I'm headed to a spa in Mexico with my mother for a week--can't wait! Most of all, I'm looking forward to being able to eat healthy without having to plan/prepare/pack it myself.... But hey, the massages will be good too. ;)

Welcome, grantwashere! And happy birthday.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    It's a "rest day", today. We need one....it's been go, go, go and we're all tired!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    40's are the best so far. It would be nice to have more friends in my age group
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    They don't rent kayaks at this beach on Sundays. So, change of plans! It's another beautiful day in paradise. We leave for San Diego on Tuesday.