Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Have you been to Vina for the Music Festival? I want to go.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"0' & eat 1000-1400 (goal 1200) calories a day & I'm full at the end of the day. I change my calorie intake daily & workout 3 days a week. I don't think 1200 is slowing my metabolism or putting me into starvation mode. My doctor & dietician agrees as well.

I personally have a hard time getting this low but I am 5'8". People do need to realize though that an extremely clean diet has very little calories. If you are eating a lot of veggies and fruit with lean meats and low complex carbs and low fats your cals will be really low.
  • Iraxy
    Iraxy Posts: 2
    Options
    I don;t know if I will be able to help you, but I can tell you from my experience (I am new too). I thought 1200 calories was way too little for me to eat, but then I thought that since I have not been able to exercise, maybe that is okay for me. I am still waiting for my doctor to give me the okay. After having my stress test today, I should be hearing from him soon.
    Every morning I have been logging in what I ate. At first, I just ate what I had been eating just to see how much it deviated from the 1200 calories that this website suggested. I found I was eating way over the 1200 calories, sometimes 4 times that much. I am a 5'.3" 65 y.o. woman who weighs 200 lbs. My BMI is 35. Anyway, as the days progressed, I found myself eating less, or adjusting the amounts that I ate (namely because the fat and sugar contents scared me.) LOL It was for me a real eye opener. Today, for the first time, I met my goal of 1200 calories and I have to tell you that I ate very well and was full all day. Good luck and don't let anything keep you from attaining your goal. We can do it.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"0' & eat 1000-1400 (goal 1200) calories a day & I'm full at the end of the day. I change my calorie intake daily & workout 3 days a week. I don't think 1200 is slowing my metabolism or putting me into starvation mode. My doctor & dietician agrees as well.

I personally have a hard time getting this low but I am 5'8". People do need to realize though that an extremely clean diet has very little calories. If you are eating a lot of veggies and fruit with lean meats and low complex carbs and low fats your cals will be really low.

Not really, unless you want to make it harder than it needs to be. Not even an "extremely clean" diet is required to be low in complex carbs or fat.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    People and their imaginary haters.

MFP only has me at 1,300 but when I eat 1.600(closer to the tdee method) I see better and more consistent results.

People trying to give helpful advice does not make them haters , if it does not work for you it does not work. You are the master of your own body , MFP is not going to force feed you.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    To each their own. My plan is to lose weight eating as much as I possibly can so that when I hit maintenance I can maintain while still eating a lot. Nom. Nom. Nom. Some days I eat 1200 in one meal. Still losing!
  • HulkDiesel77
    HulkDiesel77 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you are female 1200 is just fine and men about 1500..............Starvation mode really doesn't happen until you are below about 6% body fat but I think what people are thinking is if you eat too few calories you can actually lower your metabolism in turn lowering your BMR and in turn creating a lower deficit than what you think. Pay no attention to the haters!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's it. I'm eating 1200 calories daily just to prove it's okay. I only weigh 102 pounds or so, but my micros are what matter to me. I usually go 2000+ but it can be done on less. Food shopping tomorrow :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    50865765.gif
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    People who say 1200 is not enough are either still overweight or they lost or are losing weight the "right way" (slower) but are jealous because other people have found success losing weight faster at 1200 without any ill effects.

You are right . * flex in front of the mirror, put on size 2 pants, eat 1200 calories for diner* you are so so right.
    Ha - exactly!

Yeah, I was real jealous eating lower calories, losing weight quickly, and loving my smaller yet still soft and squishy self, in my new size 8 pants. NOT. :noway:

I'll stick with eating more calories, losing FAT, keeping my muscles, and enjoying my much firmer body in my new size 2 & 4 (depending on brand) pants, thankyouverymuch.

:drinker:
    Damn you short/hipless bishs. Do you know what I'm jealous of? Fitting into size 2s :flowerforyou:

At 5'8 and a 25 inch waist with significantly larger hips, I have to settle for something my *kitten* fits into :(
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I hear ya I am not saying 1200 is for everyone but for some its just fine. I am sick of that repeated ITS NOT ENOUGH too :yawn:
  • hatersgonahate
    hatersgonahate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    haha holy crap, i thought you were calling me out. My heart stopped
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I think if 2000+ is working, then good for you & if 1200-1400 is working, then good for you. Everyone's body works differently & our exercise levels are all different. I hope we all lose weight & feel great.

This response is so refreshing because it's encouraging and positive. Recently I posted about all the negativity/sarcasm around here, and people jumped down my throat. Glad to see some people like to be nice :) It feels just as good as losing weight!
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't calorie count, I just count the ones I'm working off and still lose weight. I don't care about how many I get per day. Whatever works for you really. Its all on the individual person, and life style.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Not gonna hate on ya... because honestly I only eat 1,200 most days myself. I work nightshift, and when I'm at work, I do eat a few times (12 hour shifts) but when I'm not working I'm sleeping for the most part, so of course I'm not gonna just wake up to eat and go back to sleep... SO.... forget what people say sweetie... in fact, just do your thing and be happy. :flowerforyou:

I see people get all *technical* with what they eat, when they eat it, and so forth and all of that math gives me a complete headache. If it fits for them, fine... but what fits for YOU personally is all that matters. :drinker:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I think if 2000+ is working, then good for you & if 1200-1400 is working, then good for you. Everyone's body works differently & our exercise levels are all different. I hope we all lose weight & feel great.

This response is so refreshing because it's encouraging and positive. Recently I posted about all the negativity/sarcasm around here, and people jumped down my throat. Glad to see some people like to be nice :) It feels just as good as losing weight!

Who are you tell me what feels good to me? We're all different after all (and yet all here for the same reason...)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't calorie count, I just count the ones I'm working off and still lose weight. I don't care about how many I get per day. Whatever works for you really. Its all on the individual person, and life style.

How do you count the ones to work off if you don't calorie count?
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    For those who are still trying to calculate my things.... I know my TDEE is 1600/1700 because that's what I've always eaten (well, except when I gain my weight duh) and that's what I've been eating for the past 2 weeks, guess what, I didn't gain or lose an ounce during those 2 weeks, so yep, my TDEE is ok and due to an immune disease I get constantly tested (CBC, vitamins, etc, once a month) so I know for sure my nutrition levels are perfect, so thank you for your input, but for me it's perfectly ok to eat what I'm eating.

I just wanted to point out the importance of reading the whole thing before saying your opinions. That's about it. The next time you see a topic about 1200, if you really read this, you'll remember and you will give your advice to somebody else having all the important factors in mind and reading everything that the person said. That was my motivation for writing this, because I've seen it too many times ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to point out the importance of reading the whole thing before saying your opinions. That's about it. The next time you see a topic about 1200, if you really read this, you'll remember and you will give your advice to somebody else having all the important factors in mind and reading everything that the person said. That was my motivation for writing this, because I've seen it too many times ;)
    So if someone is asking for advice and there's already 15 pages of posts, anyone who responds should, according to you, be required to read through all of them, including the inevitable sidetracking and debating over irrelevant nonsense, mile-long infiniquotes, etc ad nauseum, before they are allowed to have an opinion of their own?

Maybe they have something valuable to contribute and don't have 6 hours to spend reading every last post in every thread but still would like to add their comments. Maybe their time is better spent adding their comments to that many more "I need help" threads. Don't you think they might be more qualified to decide how their own time is best spent, instead of having you lecturing them about how you think they should spend their time?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    This thread is a...

dumpster-fire_medium.jpg

LET IT BURN BA-BAY!!!

ETA: OP This was not directed at you...honestly what are we talking about here...If someone is eating 1700 calories and losing a 1lb a week...1200 is 2 lbs a week...not an insane deficit. Just depends on the person and activity level