Guess What was on my Kid's School Shopping List

Options

Replies

• maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I don't think the amount of candy they would get as an occasional treat at school would be anywhere near enough sugar to cause cavities. Same with birthday cake and party candy. Oral hygiene is key. I just think its wrong to pass the buck on the teacher.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    WOW. In Kindergarten my kids had to bring stickers but those were more for papers. Rewarding with sugar...yeah I'm sure that's how US kids stay so thin:frown:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Really? I have never heard of that on a school supply list.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    That's total BS. If a teacher wants to supply their students with incentives, they can from their OWN money. I've NEVER heard of a teacher putting their voluntary incentives on the parents to pay for (*especially* candy). Sounds like your child has a super cheap (or lazy) teacher. I wouldn't buy the bag of candy, and send my kid to school with a note explaining why. Some schools I observed in while in college wouldn't even allow candy into the classrooms. That's ridiculous. I feel like even if it wasn't candy that the teacher is asking for I'd still be a little p!ssed. They decided they want an incentive stock on hand- they should pay for it. :noway:
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My elementary aged daughter had a bag of candy on her list too. Boxes of tissues were on there as well. I don't mind if she gets a piece of candy every now and then as a reward (not that I need to worry, she's been a butt so far this school year and probably won't be getting any). I don't mind the tissues either, but I never send them in at the beginning of the year. I just take some in later.
  • hottie_in_training
    hottie_in_training Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Our schools are junk food free. Thank goodness.

As far as parents supplying cleaning supplies, etc. What the hell??!! Do our tax dollars not go towards the maintenance and running of our schools??
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would send a bag of stickers/mini prizes/etc. and maybe a small bag of those mini size candies. I don't think getting candy as a treat is necessarily bad, but there should definitely be more options. And there shouldn't be candy big enough to put a dent in a healthy diet if the kid gets those incentives frequently. Still a little ridiculous for the teacher to ask for that, though.

I think birthday parties and school parties are totally fine with including a little junk. Looking back at videos of my cousins & I's parties, we had a lot of soda, chips, pizza, cake, etc. but we turned out all healthy and well adjusted because we only got that on those occasions. Candy bars were a really special treat. Everything in moderation is the key, especially for kids.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    We do not have to send in candy or anything else for incentives, but I was really shocked to see a box of Band Aids on the school supply list (which I refused to send), along with the cleaning wipes and germ x. We also have to send a ridiculous amount of pencils, glue, and many other regular supplies, when I know that my child does not need that many. Our teachers put everything in "community" boxes where the children just go get whatever they need when they need it... So I am pretty much taking in supplies for parents who do not send supplies in for the children. It irks me. I found out that on the last day of school the teachers just throw away any unused supplies such as pencils, pens, markers, crayons, paper, ect.... and the janitors just go through every trash can and cash in on the leftovers. Why cant the teachers put the leftovers in a tote and use for next year? I was livid when I found this out and so I sent my daughter with the least amount of supplies for the "community" boxes and have the rest of her stuff at home for when she needs it.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I know there are budget cuts in education, but since when are the parents responsible for the incentives in the classroom?

... Parents have always been responsible for school supplies. There has probably never been a budget for classroom incentives, so budget cuts really have nothing to do with it. At my school I got NO money for supplies. Anything I wanted, I bought. Teachers spend plenty of their own money on everything from paper to field trip fees for kids whose parents can't afford it. I don't think it's unreasonable for parents to chip in with extras like candy, tissue, hand sanitizer, etc. Schools do not provide these things, so either teachers pay for it, parents split up the cost and pay for it, or the kids get none. Or, you can be one of those parents who just relies on the reliable parents to pick up the slack for you. (Had a lot of those as a teacher.)

It's a hot button issue for me ever since the year I spent $200 on PENCILS. I realize candy is a different issue, but since when are TEACHERS and not parents responsible for something that kids want and use in the classroom?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    OK, I'm actually with ya here. Candy is an absurd request.

I bring 4 boxes of tissues, 4 boxes of baby wipes, 4 boxes of ziplocs, Hand Sanitizer, etc.... Plus pencils and *kitten*.

I draw the line at Candy. I am fine with bringing in a monthly treat or something (I tend to do fruit, cheese, crackers, etc.) but to request candy is just a little ridiculous. You should not be giving kids 30 bags of candy/school year....
  • adiostrasero
    Options
    We do not have to send in candy or anything else for incentives, but I was really shocked to see a box of Band Aids on the school supply list (which I refused to send), along with the cleaning wipes and germ x. We also have to send a ridiculous amount of pencils, glue, and many other regular supplies, when I know that my child does not need that many. Our teachers put everything in "community" boxes where the children just go get whatever they need when they need it... So I am pretty much taking in supplies for parents who do not send supplies in for the children. It irks me. I found out that on the last day of school the teachers just throw away any unused supplies such as pencils, pens, markers, crayons, paper, ect.... and the janitors just go through every trash can and cash in on the leftovers. Why cant the teachers put the leftovers in a tote and use for next year? I was livid when I found this out and so I sent my daughter with the least amount of supplies for the "community" boxes and have the rest of her stuff at home for when she needs it.

You REFUSED to buy Band-Aids, because ... ? You don't expect your child to need any this year? Now other parents or the teacher (using his/her own money, as schools do not provide funds for these things) will pick up the slack for you. I'm with you that the school should not throw away leftover supplies, but ... ugh. Everything else about your post IRKS me.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I know there are budget cuts in education, but since when are the parents responsible for the incentives in the classroom?

... Parents have always been responsible for school supplies. There has probably never been a budget for classroom incentives, so budget cuts really have nothing to do with it. At my school I got NO money for supplies. Anything I wanted, I bought. Teachers spend plenty of their own money on everything from paper to field trip fees for kids whose parents can't afford it. I don't think it's unreasonable for parents to chip in with extras like candy, tissue, hand sanitizer, etc. Schools do not provide these things, so either teachers pay for it, parents split up the cost and pay for it, or the kids get none. Or, you can be one of those parents who just relies on the reliable parents to pick up the slack for you. (Had a lot of those as a teacher.)

It's a hot button issue for me ever since the year I spent $200 on PENCILS. I realize candy is a different issue, but since when are TEACHERS and not parents responsible for something that kids want and use in the classroom?

That is a tax deduction, FYI. Save your receipts.
  • odusgolp
    Options

Thanks for making the rest of the parents and teachers make up the difference for you. :flowerforyou:
  • adiostrasero
    Options
    Yes... you get either $200 or $250, can't remember. But I always spent about $500.

I taught middle school and taught 7 classes, so I had over 200 students. Keeping them stocked with paper and pencils because of deadbeat parents is what let to my immense frustration with some of the comments on this thread :)

Again, I would never have asked for candy from parents. But these people on here complaining about things like Band-Aids and Kleenex...? C'mon; do you really think that's not a legit supply need?
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

That is shockingly wasteful, and what a smack in the face to the parents who provided that stuff!!

The whole idea of sending in basic supplies seems odd to me anyway, I'm in the UK and you don't send your child to school with anything like that.

As for the sweets, I would be sending a polite but firm letter in explaining that I wouldn't provide sweets as I don't think you should reward with food! At my daughters school if the class has been particularly good, one of the children are picked to put a marble in a big glass jar. When the jar is full they get a reward. The reward is usually extra time to play or a cartoon (semi educational). As the children get older they are rewarded with golden time, which means they go and help in the nursery that's attached to the school. For day to day rewards they get little stickers put on their tops.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I'm liking the sticker and small toy ideas. I just wouldn't feel right sending in candy. Unless, like someone mentioned, it's really the teacher who wants the candy for herself. I can totally picture harried teachers in the lounge after school scarfing down tootsie rolls and smarties after being with so many kids all day. :laugh: Gotta love teachers for the feats they do every day!

Yes, my son did get the sealant on his teeth. Too bad it was recommended by the dentist AFTER getting all the cavities, but at least it's protecting his teeth now.

I'm not against special treats in school, but I think it gets to be a bit much. Last year, there was a birthday party nearly every week in his class, celebrated usually with frosted cupcakes. (I was the lone parent who sent in cookies with a lower sugar count. Kids still enjoyed them, anyway.) And there's a daily morning snack they have, usually juice and cookies.

Times are different than when I went to grade school. There were no weekly birthday parties with treats and no morning snacks. When it was someone's birthday, we all sang happy birthday to the person and then the teacher would give the kid a fancy pencil. What the heck happened since then? :laugh:
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Why do kids need "incentives" to learn and behave in school?? Isn't the incentive to behave not getting a trip to the principles office and your parents called? Why do they need constant rewards? A party once in a while or a special lunch on Friday is a treat. Getting a reward every single time you do something doesn't really sound like it sets a good precedent for real life or even high school.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    at my son's school each kid has to bring doughnuts one friday a semester for their homeroom. I hate that because doughnuts are garbage and they are expensive when it comes to 30 kids.

This teacher would be on my list. It's not a nice list to be on. Just sayin'. :noway:

It's a whole school thing. Not one or two teachers. Each homeroom gets doughnuts on Fridays.
  • adiostrasero
    Options

Thanks for making the rest of the parents and teachers make up the difference for you. :flowerforyou:

AMEN!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

and I'm out...blood pressure getting dangerously high over a stupid message board! :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The teacher asked for a bag of candy. Of all things, right?

My kid's gotten so many cavities since starting school last year, I'm tempted to send the school his dental bills. All the sugary snacks and gooey treats at birthday parties are ridiculous. The candy will be used as incentives for the children, and while I can understand how useful that may be to a teacher, there's got to be a better way.

Send them with toothbrushes and toothpaste, maybe floss too.