Half marathon - Support and Motivation!

Options

Replies

• akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    It's official. I registered for the Detroit half. I was waffling for a while, not wanting to absolutely commit. So I'm glad I finally bit the bullet and put the money down. Definitely looking forward to running it.. even more so running with pinbotchick!

I ran 11.15 miles this afternoon. Longest run yet... around a 13:30 pace (though estimated), so faster than last weekend's 10-miler. Have 2 shorter runs planned this week and I have a 10K race this weekend, so I might not get a long run in this week. If I'm feeling up to it, I might substitute one of my shorter runs for another 11-milers, but it's really hard to motivate myself to run for that long after a workday. But I really wanted to get another race in before the half (I've only done 2 5Ks before).
  • xlizzislegend
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the input, y'all!! I'm way beyond excited about it. Anyone ever done one of the Rock 'n' Roll Marathons? :bigsmile:
  • curlytop89
    curlytop89 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    well, ended up doing my 5 on the treadmill today, but that's okay. it passed by quicker than I thought. I averaged a 9:30 pace which is good for me. I know what you mean about the hills. My road is loaded so sometimes I go into town and do my long run on a little flatter surface, although I think that the hills are good training. Then you won't be surprised on race day. The only other half I tried was in st. louis and boasted of being very flat and fast, but not so. When I drove the course the day before I saw that it was quite hilly, as a matter of fact it had a hill that was about 3 miles long and it was a two lap race so you had to run it twice. It was horrible and I ended up walking up the last part on the second half, it really wore me out since I hadn't trained on hills at all.

This time I have some hills to train on and I am doing the Jazz Half in New Orleans for the Children's hospital down there. New Orleans is Flat Flat Flat, so I hope it goes better this time.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone...including all the new people! So glad you're helping make this thread so busy!

Yesterdays run was 5.66 at 10:35/mi pace. Plus, I was up at Red Rocks for a concert, so there was a lot of hiking and dancing. Today I'm doing some stretching and some upper body weights if i can fit it all in. My kids only have a half day of school so that makes everything a challenge.

I realized yesterday as I was logging my miles that last week, I got over 27 miles done. I think that's the first time in 2 years that I've run more than 25, although I've come very close several times this year.

I'm not a huge fan of hills, but they definitely serve their purpose. I try to do at least one run a week that is somewhat hilly. My half marathon course is relatively flat, so i figure the hills I practice on will only make that easier. It challenges different muscles, so don't totally ignore them. What I really hate is that I live on the top of a hill and sometimes at the end of my run, the LAST thing i want to do is run up that darn thing, lol.

Kristina, I'm so glad you registered. You'll do fine...you've been running consistently and now you're committed, lol!

Curlytop, nice run!
    Victoria glad you're feeling better and have been able to get your runs done.

See you all tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Lisa
  • lisajuly
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the input, y'all!! I'm way beyond excited about it. Anyone ever done one of the Rock 'n' Roll Marathons? :bigsmile:

I have never done one, but this year, they are doing the Denver Half & Full Marathon which I'm registered for. I ran the Denver Half in 2008, so I'm familiar with the course, but I'm looking forward to seeing what RnR does at a race.
  • coachsteph
    Options
    My husband and I are now in training for our first 1/2 marathon which we will run in December starting in Madeira Beach, FL! Super excited! We are following a preparation agenda we found in Runners World and will also be doing strength training via P90X as well.

Will keep you posted as the days go by!!!

Steph Perez
  • akasullengal
    Options
    Crappy weather outside today, so I decided to crosstrain instead of running one of my shorter runs for the week. Did 60 min (~13miles) on the stationary bike. Had to get it in over lunchtime, as I have an uber long workday today. Hopefully I'll be able to get a run in tomorrow instead. I think the weather should be ok. I'm not down with running on the treadmill for that length of a run. I have my 10K race this weekend, and then only another 2 until the half. eep!
  • lisajuly
    Options
    4.3 mi/9:53 mi pace. spent way to long at Comcast and ran late, and it's still like 90 degrees here. first mile was fast, so i decided to make it a tempo run and kept up a fast pace for me through the whole run. will skip speedwork tomorrow and just try a nice, easy run.

Kristina, if I don't get on before this weekend, good luck on your race!!! You'll do great :)
  • pinbotchick
    Options
    Welcome to the group Steph!!!

Great job on your runs everyone!!!

I was soooo tired this morning, I decided I'd skip my run and sleep in but the fates were with me and my last client (scheduled for 6:30) canceled... I made it home early got the run in, ate dinner and started mowing the grass 15 min before I should have even been home!!! I actually tried running faster and did my 2 miles at 11:52 pace which is huge for me...
  • fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Ran four miles yesterday at 9:21 which I was pleased with because I had dead legs like you wouldn't believe. They are still sore!

Does anyone else use their IPod and Nike Plus? I love it, but yesterday the lady stopped talking. Normally, when you push the middle button she tells you the distance, time, and pace, but she wouldn't. She did tell me when I had 400, 300, and 200 meters left but then didn't tell me when I finished.....anyone else have this problem? know how to fix it???

Thanks! Have a great run or cross train today everyone :)
  • girlruns
    Options
    Okay, have been slacking on posting, but not on running! I finished another 9 miler this past weekend. Had to do it Saturday instead of Sunday since I was signed up for the Komen 5k on Sunday. My husband did the 5k with me so we did a 1:1 run/walk ratio which kept it a bit challenging for him and was a nice way to move the legs without taxing them after a 9 miler. I'm feeling really confident about my 1/2 and I still have 6 (5?) more weeks to go! I have been consistently training at 9:30 miles. I am hoping for 1:59:59 for my time which is 9:09 miles. Even though I have this goal, I do know I will be happy with a well run race, and after 2 successful and painless 9's, I should be fine. This week is a step down week with my LR being only 5. I certainly plan to enjoy that!

Great job everyone and welcome to all the new people!

And thanks for the race report A1! Congrats!!!
  • curlytop89
    Options
    long run day for me. Up to 9 miles this week. Did it at a 9:35 pace. Wahoo! I was really tired on that last mile, but it's always easy to push a little harder when you're almost done eh. Anyway, better go get the lawn mowed before my energy wanes. Keep up the good work everyone.
  • lisajuly
    Options
    Great running everyone! In the next couple of weeks, we're going to have a lot of races! Yeah.

I just got an email with my final information for my race on the 17th...can't believe it's that close already :)

Yesterday was 5.25 mi at 10:40 pace. It's my hilly run for the week and it's and out-and-back, and on the way back, the wind picked up and i had dirt blowing all around me. when i got home to shower and took off my socks you could see the dirt line (which was was worse than my tan line, lol). Ewww!

Fraiserroja, sorry about your ipod/Nike plus. i know nothing about it, sorry. Have you tried googling? or going to the nike plus web page and seeing if there are any troubleshooting tips? Maybe it just needs to be re-booted/reset? Good luck.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people.

Yesterday morning I was tired but managed to get in my 10 mile run at 15 min pace before work.
  • lisajuly
    Options
    5.25 mi run yesterday that was craptastic, lol. Oh well, guess you have to take the bad runs with the good.

Nice job Victoria, getting your ten miler done!
  • lisajuly
    Options
    11.5 miles today at 10:48 pace. this one was harder than last week's run. very relieved that it's over. this will be my last run over 10 before the half. My knee will NOT let me do 4 runs over 10 miles 4 weeks in a row. so, instead of doing 12 next week like my schedule says, i will do 7-8 and call it good.

two more weeks until my half...can't believe how close it is.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend and is doing good with their runs!

Lisa
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Great job on your run Lisa!!!

I ran 11 today at 14:21 pace. I seem to run faster later in the day. Two more weeks until my race as well. I'm so ready for the training to be over. I'm flying to Phoenix next weekend so my next 2 long runs will be in warmer weather vs the 44 degree temp today. Anyone know any good places to run in Phoenix??
  • akasullengal
    Options
    Lisa- nice run!

Victoria- way to go!!

Two weeks left until the half for me as well. I didn't get a long run in this week, but ran a 10K race this morning in 1hr12min (~11:37 pace), which is really good for me. And it was nice to get another race under my belt. Next weekend, which would be my last longer run, I'll be out of town, so I'm going to have to get it done sometime after work next week (which I'm not looking forward to). The end of training is in sight though! Can't believe the race is almost here!
  • runnerBee
    Options
    Hello everybody,
    I'm a half marathon junkie. My goal is to run a half marathon in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. My last race in Michigan was state #12 and my next race is Georgia in November and that will be state #13.

I usually run 12 miles every Saturday at a 11:30 pace. I would like to get down to a 11:00 pace. This site has helped me change and improve my eating habits.
  • curlytop89
    Options
    ran 5 with a little interval training but averaged 9 minute mile for the 5 then had a half cool down and warm up walking. I was feelin kinda tired and had to run on the treadmill since I have the baby and didn't want to run with the stroller. Maybe tomorrow. Anyway, my stomach gave me a little fit last week after my long run. Seems like when I start getting 6 or so miles at a time I start having trouble. I don't know. At least I didn't have much cramping and it didn't last too long. I got a bottle to take some gatorade or something to see if drinking some electrolytes will help, but I doubt it. Well, only 4 weeks for me. Hope my intestinal tract cooperates for that long. We'll see.

Victoria, you are rocking the long runs. Way to go! Lisa, you are too funny with your "craptastic run" ha ha. I know the feeling, but you did it anyway. Kristina sounds like you are doing great too. Good luck in two weeks. You all sound ready. What are your plans after?