Your Thoughts of Big Girls in Bikinis ?

Options

Replies

• kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This is always tough. On one hand I'm not willing to support someone's decision to remain fat, and I'm aware of the reality that most of us would quietly prefer not to see a 350 lbs woman in a string bikini, when given a choice. On the other hand being fat is not illegal, and what other people wear is solely their business.

So, in the real world I would keep my mouth shut and look away.

How are you supporting or not supporting someone's decision to remain fat if they are wearing a bikini?

I'm a size 18, and if someone was concern trolling me without knowing me, they would be concerned about me. A random stranger doesn't know that I used to wear a 26. So, they don't know that saying "you look good" is not actually "supporting my decision to remain fat" but in fact encouraging the hard work I've already done.

And, you can find bikinis that are supportive much easier in my experience than you can a tankini or one piece. Tankinis almost always have a stupid unadjustable back, and one pieces are either not supportive at all, or smash larger boobs into a a speed bump pushed up into your chin. No thanks.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    why does a "big" girl wear a bikini is my question...there are more flattering options out there.....dress your body to its best is always a good idea...I can't stand to see a GUY in a speedo with his belly hanging over it....he looks much better in a pair of regular trunks....if you don't have enough self discipline to warrant a bikini body, you shouldn't be wearing a bikini...JMO...that's my thought....you asked.
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    if the suit fits well and looks nice then I'd admire her taste. I've seen a lot of really cute plus size bikiinis and the woman wearing them looked nice. if the suit didnt look good or if it was too tight..... i could lie and say im not paying attention and it wouldnt matter but to be real I would probably be grossed out. shrug. it would just be my instant reaction. that goes for any body type though. if anyone dressed in a way that is completely unflattering AND theyre half naked i would have the same reaction.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Please don't. Look, I know what it's like to be big, but I also know how to dress for my size and always have. It's obscene to see a 300+ lb woman in a bikini. Dress respectfully. Bikinis are a little risque to begin with, and they shouldn't be made in certain sizes. I know I'll probably get flack for this, but I don't care. Just be respectful of yourself and others. Big girls look a lot better in a one piece or conservative two piece.

I would never say anything, of course, or try to make her feel ashamed of herself but it usually makes me uncomfortable.
    I think this says a whole lot more about you than about them.

^^ This. Seriously, go join the Taliban Women's League or something. ALL the ladies there wear burkas! You won't be offended by anybody's fat!

This response is too funny unintentionally, or on a whole new level of comedic genius that I can't comprehend.

Ha! Well I was kinda trying to be funny. :) But then came back on here to possibly delete as it might be too offensive even for me...

So it was unintentionally too funny. You probably were saying to join the "Taliban Women's league" as in your mind that would be some made up organization that would be very extreme into judging and condemning women on what they wear.

What you probably didn't know is that the Taliban Women's league is a real organization that operates from Herat in Afghanistan, they are sponsored international by Muslim women's league. The organization fights for women rights and equality in the world.

So it's like telling a criminal to go join a random fictional group called the Mounties because you think as a criminal they ride horses, and not realizing that there is a real law enforcement group called the Mounties. :laugh: :tongue:
  • barbie3000
    barbie3000 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Please don't. Look, I know what it's like to be big, but I also know how to dress for my size and always have. It's obscene to see a 300+ lb woman in a bikini. Dress respectfully. Bikinis are a little risque to begin with, and they shouldn't be made in certain sizes. I know I'll probably get flack for this, but I don't care. Just be respectful of yourself and others. Big girls look a lot better in a one piece or conservative two piece.

I would never say anything, of course, or try to make her feel ashamed of herself but it usually makes me uncomfortable.
    I think this says a whole lot more about you than about them.

^^ This. Seriously, go join the Taliban Women's League or something. ALL the ladies there wear burkas! You won't be offended by anybody's fat!

This response is too funny unintentionally, or on a whole new level of comedic genius that I can't comprehend.

Ha! Well I was kinda trying to be funny. :) But then came back on here to possibly delete as it might be too offensive even for me...

So it was unintentionally too funny. You probably were saying to join the "Taliban Women's league" as in your mind that would be some made up organization that would be very extreme into judging and condemning women on what they wear.

What you probably didn't know is that the Taliban Women's league is a real organization that operates from Herat in Afghanistan, they are sponsored international by Muslim women's league. The organization fights for women rights and equality in the world.

So it's like telling a criminal to go join a random fictional group called the Mounties because you think as a criminal they ride horses, and not realizing that there is a real law enforcement group called the Mounties. :laugh: :tongue:

Oh my GOD. Yup, I feel like a real tool now. Thanks for pointing this out.

/slinking off in shame.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    "Big girls" as in fat? Not my particular cup of tea, but that's just my opinion. (And I only gave it cuz OP asked!) You should wear whatever you're comfortable in, and not give a flying fluck what anyone might think. That goes for everyone.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    This is always tough. On one hand I'm not willing to support someone's decision to remain fat, and I'm aware of the reality that most of us would quietly prefer not to see a 350 lbs woman in a string bikini, when given a choice. On the other hand being fat is not illegal, and what other people wear is solely their business.

So, in the real world I would keep my mouth shut and look away.

How are you supporting or not supporting someone's decision to remain fat if they are wearing a bikini?

I'm a size 18, and if someone was concern trolling me without knowing me, they would be concerned about me. A random stranger doesn't know that I used to wear a 26. So, they don't know that saying "you look good" is not actually "supporting my decision to remain fat" but in fact encouraging the hard work I've already done.

And, you can find bikinis that are supportive much easier in my experience than you can a tankini or one piece. Tankinis almost always have a stupid unadjustable back, and one pieces are either not supportive at all, or smash larger boobs into a a speed bump pushed up into your chin. No thanks.

People here often say 'it's ok' and not really mean it, you know, just for support. Even though I don't enjoy looking at obese women in bikinis, if I am being supportive and politically correct instead of being honest I would say 'it's ok'.

Look, I'm not trying to be a *kitten* here, and your loss from 26 to 18 deserves nothing but praise. All I'm saying is that I (and probably most people out there) don't exactly look forward to a size 18 woman in bikinis.

To use myself as an example, while I'm officially not 'overweight' anymore, I still have a considerable beer gut. It's pronounced enough that I'm not gonna make the general population endure the sight of me in a compression shirt. If I wear a standard shirt I would look completely innocuous.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note to those that are saying, "nobody wants to see a size XX in a bikini" ... well, I'd like you to consider that if someone is a size XX and wearing a bikini (or anything for that matter), they probably don't give a fruck what you think. It might behoove all of you to be a little more concerned with your shallow attitudes and the misbelief that your opinion actually matters than what someone else is wearing.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Just a quick note to those that are saying, "nobody wants to see a size XX in a bikini" ... well, I'd like you to consider that if someone is a size XX and wearing a bikini (or anything for that matter), they probably don't give a fruck what you think. It might behoove all of you to be a little more concerned with your shallow attitudes and the misbelief that your opinion actually matters than what someone else is wearing.
    A question was asked by the OP, so she obviously cares. I'm answering her question, not making a statement to you.

I'm not gonna volunteer my opinion about big girls in bikinis if nobody asks, as I'm quite sure they either don't care or would rather not hear it.
  • verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    A question was asked by the OP, so she obviously cares. I'm answering her question, not making a statement to you.

I'm not gonna volunteer my opinion about big girls in bikinis if nobody asks, as I'm quite sure they either don't care or would rather not hear it.

Well, I think your opinion is garbage, that's all.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just look the other way..... I don't want to see or think about it.
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm not perfect, I try not to judge people.

But I'm more likely to secretly wish I were that confident.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't really think about it or care what other people are wearing at the beach. They just look like a bunch of humans in bathing suits, having a good time.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even notice them. I would be too focused on myself and my own confidence issues at those places.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Seeing a woman in a bikini turns me on. Period. End of story!

That is such an encouraging thing to say. In fact, I might just make wearing one a goal for next summer :smooched:
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I say good for them. They are clearly okay with who they are. Hell, I don't even wear a bikini, I am more of a bikini top/board shorts kind of girl but that is because of my own insecurities. So if a "big girl" is confident enough to wear a bikini, then *high five* to her or to them.
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would not do it, because I would not feel comfortable. However, if they feel ok, good for them
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have seen several Bikinis that were made to cover large women. It depends on the style and how much they choose to cover up.
  • withtimecomesmiracles
    Options
    I'm still not sure what "big girls" is referring to but what I do know is that in my 19 soon to be 20 years of life, I had never, EVER, wore a bikini before this summer. And I feel like looking back at it it's completely wrong that in my mind I wasn't allowed to. I had no right to expose more skin because most people felt like it wasn't appropriate. And I firmly believed that, in fact I kinda still do.
    It's taken me weeks and weeks of building up the confidence to actually put one on my size 10 body and go outside, facing complete strangers on a beach miles aways from my home. And at first I kept my stomach hidden with towels and anything I could come up with until I just stopped giving a *kitten* about the perception or disgust people might have of me.
    Turns out when I posted a picture of me wearing that same bikini people I didn't even know wrote me messages telling me I was beautiful and had nothing to be ashamed of.

So the question shouldn't be "What do you think of big girls wearing bikinis?" but "Why do you even give a *kitten* about big girls wearing bikinis?".
  • wahwahwah2
    Options
    Why does there have to be a "thought" on it? It's a PERSON wearing a SWIMSUIT lol. Opinions shouldn't exist for silly things like that.. It's like asking what is your opinion on a "skinny" girl wearing a bikini? Or a one piece.. A sweater? It's a human being doing whatever the hell they want and there should be respect, yes, because a person should be able to do whatever they want and whether someone thinks they look a certain way it shouldn't matter. I don't think it's gross or awesome when someone that is considered heavy decides to show everything they've got. Good for them I guess. But also good for the smaller girl. Good for everyone that wears a bikini. Do what you want! Overall having opinions on things like this is stupid because it's a person in clothing. It's a body. Doesn't matter whether they're heavy, skinny, small, curvy, whatever label you put on it, and it doesn't matter what they're wearing. They're there to have a good time at the beach or pool and that's what's significant. Go join her for a swim, don't decide what your opinion is on her appearance in a bikini.