HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    In for all the WIN this thread has going in it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    bump cause I read the first set

I actually cursed at the tranformations....in adimiration of course....that butt...and you know which one I mea...and that back...and all of them...wow

So after I go for lunch I have my post lunch thread bump for more awesomness and woman who are amazing...

Just as a note I showed my husband this thread when I got home...he cursed too...in admiration...he was is so behind me that he went and bought me stuff to put in the newly developing weight room....I can hardly wait till I can post to this thread with my transformation.

*does a dance....
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lifting made me massive too.
  • Maia_Maker
    Options
    such a motivational thread! I hope to see some results soon
  • inkedrcw
    Options
    1st page I run across on day 1 of joining this site ... going to love it here!
  • rnlenore
    rnlenore Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! I just started lifting and can't wait to post results!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Omg me too! look!
    <
  • nogoldilocs
    nogoldilocs Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what they said^^^. Thanks for the inspiration women. I'm currently on a plateau but I'm smaller than I was 10 years ago at the same weight. And today I accidentally brushed against my unflexed, rock solid tricep and was like "Oh, yeah, **that's** why I lift". Keep it up ladies!!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Ladies! A friend and I were just discussing that the term "lifting heavy" may put some off.

The idea here is to lift weights challenging for YOU. The programs that are my favorite have you start with the bar, which weighs 45 pounds. Many of you have picked up children that big, and even squatted down to pick up something you dropped while holding him... or if you don't have kids, a bag of groceries, or a backpack!

In Stronglifts, or Starting Strength you are aiming for a few sets of 5 repetitions...5....that's it...you build strength very well this way...and the next time you add 5 more pounds and give it a go.

So lifting heavy doesnt mean you have to squat 500 pounds, you just need to challenge YOUR muscles.

I hope this helps someone:flowerforyou:

I started this at 40... and my body is better than it has been since I was in my early 20's.

I LOVE what lifting has done for me...physically AND mentally.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Great explanation and thanks for the references. I'm all about the links. lol And this is something I'm just starting to look into (not the bulking issue, but how to get started), so I really appreciate it.
  • glutesandabs
    glutesandabs Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ikylilgrl
    ikylilgrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    First I want to apologize if I'm asking something that's already been answered. i've read through much of this thread (including the first part) and am totally sold! I have a LONG way to go in the weight loss department but seeing these results is totally motivating me.

My problem is, I dont' know where to start. I have seen Starting Strength mentioned several times. What is this? A book? A video? A website? Does it have specifically what to do and HOW to do it? I'm a free weight virgin *blush*
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lifting made me massive too.

I certainly wouldnt say i am massive OR bulky but i think its well worth what you get out of it....I dont lift heavy in my opinion but i do lift every day. Im happy with what lifting has done for me !!
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Consider me an example of how "bulky" you can get. My profile pic was taken 2 days ago. It's a little blurry, but I think you get the point. Unfortunately, I don't have any better shots of my physique. I'm kinda shy, but maybe I'll post some.

I've been lifting heavy for over 30 years, and I compete in powerlifting. So if anyone would get bulky from heavy lifting, it would be me. Nope. In fact, I used to compete in the 148-pound class when I was in college, but now I'm in the 123-pound class.

I just had a competition Saturday (May 11). I weighed in at 119.5. I'm 5'4" and 50 years old. My lifts were:

Squat 170 (pounds)
    Bench Press 115
    Deadlift 245
    Total 530

I only got "bulky" when I stopped lifting for a few years and ate ALL the food! :noway: And it wasn't pretty, let me tell you.

Anyway, don't be afraid of getting under heavy iron. Your bones will thank you later! :drinker:

I love this!!

Lifting can make you hot, sure. I think the greater thing about it is that you can do it for YEARS and just keep getting better and better. As a sport, there are few to match it in that regard. The best lifters I know are over 40, many amazing ones are over 50. They are all lifting PBs. Think about that, you're not chasing the glory years, you are living them over and over again.

I love that I am looking down the barrel of 20 years of improvement if I just do the work.
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Very Motivational Thread. thanks for posting OP
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Great results everyone!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    And so many girl crushes came into being on this day...
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    INspiring!!!
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bumping!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Still in.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I'm still in too. It's my main goal in a year or two to post my SUPAH bulky 'after' pics in this threat, so I gotta stay connected. :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!