If You Drink DIET SODAS Then YOU Need to Read This.

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For me, the saddest thing about this post is the fact that it could cause some people to have false hope, they may genuinely believe that if they stop drinking diet soda then they'll be magically cured of whatever ailment they have. Some people are very ill or have very ill relatives and are desperate for some "magic cure" - they will sometimes believe things like this because they are desperate, it plays on peoples faith and fears and it's awful.

I agree. My mother-in-law fell for this article and didn't take my sister-in-law to the doctor for 2 years because they were trying the cutting out aspartame route.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I know you get a lot of negative posts to this, but while maybe not everyone has effects from this, some people do. For me personally, I was having mini seizures. Never had another one after giving up the artificial sweetners. I only drink unsweet tea or water now.

Which artificial sweetener causes mini seizures? Aspartame, sucralose, etc?

I'm not saying it does to everyone, but it did to me. Diet coke was my drink of choice then, and the sweetener they use is aspartame. Not only did the seizures stop, but I felt much more mentally alert in day to day life.

What about sucralose?

I don't know. I have given up all artificial sweeteners. Even a small seizure is a very scary thing. It was aspartame in the diet drinks I was drinking, but I decided to give them all up.

Have you been diagnosed with PKU? If so, then aspartame is not safe for you, nor are any of the other foods that contain Phe.

But you can't take your sensitivity due to a medical condition and call aspartame dangerous any more than someone with a peanut allergy can say that peanuts are dangerous. For you it is. For anyone without PKU it is not.
  • DasGoff
    Options
    Kind right, but the real danger in diet drinks isn't that it's something called phosphoric acid which is extremely dangerous to consume in large quantities, however the amount in diet drinks is incredibly low therefore rarely causes any harm unless someone has an allergic reaction to it (something which is a rare occurrence) we covered this in my biochemistry module at university. :)
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I , too, Snoped this. They claim it isn't true, but who are "they"? I have to wonder.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ddky did qualify his/her statement by saying that it doesn't happen to everyone.
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I know you get a lot of negative posts to this, but while maybe not everyone has effects from this, some people do. For me personally, I was having mini seizures. Never had another one after giving up the artificial sweetners. I only drink unsweet tea or water now.

Which artificial sweetener causes mini seizures? Aspartame, sucralose, etc?

I'm not saying it does to everyone, but it did to me. Diet coke was my drink of choice then, and the sweetener they use is aspartame. Not only did the seizures stop, but I felt much more mentally alert in day to day life.
    Correlation does not imply causation

How do you know ut was the artificial sweetners? Were tests conducted? What about an allergy to another ingredient in it?

NO there were no laboratory experiments performed. The only change I made was giving up the diet drinks and everything else with aspartame. I felt better within just a few days and never had another seizure. The reason I suspected the aspartame was that I was on the internet researching anti seizure medications before my dr. appt. I started finding links about aspartame and seizures. I thought it was worth trying, so I poured out the diet coke I was drinking. It was still a couple of weeks before my appointment. When I hadn't had another episode by the time my appointment got there, I cancelled my appointment. It has been probably 10 years ago, and I have never had any other problems. I don't care if anyone believes me. But there is no way I will ever drink them again. I do just fine with tea and bottled water. I have no doubt that a lot of people can drink them without having seizures. I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities. But for all the people who are acting like OP is an idiot for his post, I just wanted to say that SOME people have a problem with it.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Its funny how people get so outraged when you try to warn them about diet soda. A woman died because of drinking too much soda that's a fact. I'm not saying don't drink it but anything artificial or fake is not good for you. People should be leaning towards eating healthy foods not chemically processed foods. Diseases have skyrocketed in the last 30 years because of all the junk we eat, that's a fact. You don't have to drink just water but diet soda isn't that great to drink either and there are warnings on packages of NutraSweet ever took a look at it?

TOO MUCH. Not in moderation.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Its funny how people get so outraged when you try to warn them about diet soda. A woman died because of drinking too much soda that's a fact. I'm not saying don't drink it but anything artificial or fake is not good for you. People should be leaning towards eating healthy foods not chemically processed foods. Diseases have skyrocketed in the last 30 years because of all the junk we eat, that's a fact. You don't have to drink just water but diet soda isn't that great to drink either and there are warnings on packages of NutraSweet ever took a look at it?

A kid died because he sat and played video games for too long too. Too much of anything can kill you.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    NO there were no laboratory experiments performed. The only change I made was giving up the diet drinks and everything else with aspartame. I felt better within just a few days and never had another seizure. The reason I suspected the aspartame was that I was on the internet researching anti seizure medications before my dr. appt. I started finding links about aspartame and seizures. I thought it was worth trying, so I poured out the diet coke I was drinking. It was still a couple of weeks before my appointment. When I hadn't had another episode by the time my appointment got there, I cancelled my appointment. It has been probably 10 years ago, and I have never had any other problems. I don't care if anyone believes me. But there is no way I will ever drink them again. I do just fine with tea and bottled water. I have no doubt that a lot of people can drink them without having seizures. I have a lot of allergies and sensitivities. But for all the people who are acting like OP is an idiot for his post, I just wanted to say that SOME people have a problem with it.

The problem arises when people take "some people have a problem with it" and turn it into "no one should drink it, it's evil".

There are people who will go into anaphylactic shock and die if they eat a peanut - many, many more people than I've ever heard of being impacted by aspartame - but you don't see scaremongering posts saying that no one should eat peanuts because they kill you.

I have every sympathy for anyone sensitive to any food item, and obviously they must avoid it. But it's faulty reasoning to conclude that so must everyone else.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

A kid died because he sat and played video games for too long too. Too much of anything can kill you.

A woman died from drinking too much water too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It was just a post i came by to be honest, Aspartame may or may not be bad for you but me personaly dont drink any thing but water anyway as its natural and think its the best and healthiest liquid around and most of all its free.

but some people say Aspartame is bad for you so i thought id share this as it may just be that way.

there is alot of articles that say its bad and in some place has been banned from using it

BUT.... Its up to you to believe it or not

My advice to you is choose WATER to drink instead its ZERO Calories & Good for you.
    remeber the human body is 70 - 80% water to so we need water to servive :drinker:
    And diet soda is 99% water. Funny how that works out, eh? Hydration wise they are identical to each other, and the chemicals in the soda are common chemicals found in every food you eat, that your digestive system knows exactly how to process and absorb or eliminate. Unless you have PKU, but then again, if you have PKU, there are thousands of common everyday foods you can't eat, like avocados, steaks, eggs, and pretty much anything else with phenylalanine in it, which is pretty much anything with protein.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    In other news, air is making us fat. Quick, everyone stop breathing!

http://news.discovery.com/earth/air-pollution-obesity-120315.htm
  • tigersword
    Options

A woman died from drinking too much water too.
    True. More people have died from water intoxication than have ever died from soda. So maybe we should all stop drinking water and start drinking soda. :yawn:

On, and to people saying we don't need soda, technically, we don't need water, either. It's perfectly possible to get all the hydration a person needs just from the food you eat. So uhh, yeah. Drinking anything is really unnecessary, personally I like drinking a variety of fluids I enjoy, because I enjoy them, not just for purposes of hydration. What a boring life, otherwise.
  • AMarlene
    AMarlene Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I did a paper on this in college- Aspartame is the most researched product in FDA history (at least 10 years ago when I wrote the paper) and according to the FDA it's safe to consume some huge amount daily- I don't want to post the exact amount cause I can't remember & don't want to get blasted by the masses for incorrect info. Some people truthfully have a sensitivity to it & should not consume it but I found nothing that said it can mimic/cause autoimmune diseases such as MS or Lupus and it is irresponsible to state something like that. Aspartame is not natural so moderation probably is a good idea but that's personal choice.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I did a paper on this in college- Aspartame is the most researched product in FDA history (at least 10 years ago when I wrote the paper) and according to the FDA it's safe to consume some huge amount daily- I don't want to post the exact amount cause I can't remember & don't want to get blasted by the masses for incorrect info. Some people truthfully have a sensitivity to it & should not consume it but I found nothing that said it can mimic/cause autoimmune diseases such as MS or Lupus and it is irresponsible to state something like that. Aspartame is not natural so moderation probably is a good idea but that's personal choice.
    I'll help you out. The safe upper limit for aspartame in the United States is 50mg per kilogram of body weight. Which for me, as an 88.45kg person, works out to 4,422.5mg per day, or roughly 2.3 GALLONS of diet soda per day, before it has a risk of becoming toxic. I think it's safe to say the 2-4 cans of diet soda I consume are well below that threshold.:drinker:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

you'll find out that "lack of evidence" for a claim of harmfulness is often interpreted as "indisputable proof of a government/corporate coverup" by the tinfoil hat crowd that is constantly prattling on about how the sky is falling due to <insert pet cause here>.

so, the lack of evidence that aspartame is harmful is in their minds absolute proof that it is harmful.

you can't argue logically with people like that.

you just can't.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

you'll find out that "lack of evidence" for a claim of harmfulness is often interpreted as "indisputable proof of a government/corporate coverup" by the tinfoil hat crowd that is constantly prattling on about how the sky is falling due to <insert pet cause here>.

so, the lack of evidence that aspartame is harmful is in their minds absolute proof that it is harmful.

you can't argue logically with people like that.

you just can't.

You mean it's a bit like this?

thewall01.jpg
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Nothing gives me headaches other than that (and red wine, heh heh).

Avoid it personally. It might not be bad for you, my opinion is that it is. It's not good for you anyway
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Soda is bad for you, irregardless of whether it's diet or regular or light or zero. The phosphoric acid is a huge problem. I would advise not drinking soda because of that, as well as other chemicals inside of it. Aspartame, I don't know yet... and I fear it because it's in all the Crystal Light I use.
This discussion has been closed.