A confession to the MFP Police

Options

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get away with that stuff! Life would be so much easier. :frown:

Unfortunately, I seem to have been born without the moderation gene. Or the guestimation gene. Oh, and I have no sense of direction, but that has little to do with weight loss, just another one of my short comings. Probably related to my inability to guesstimate my portion sizes.

It took me 3 months and lots of people on the forums telling me to weigh and measure all my foods to learn why I wasn't losing weight.

Now, it's well over a year later and I'm still amazed at how tiny a tablespoon of peanut butter looks.
  • hazellac
    hazellac Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Luckily, I have not had this happen to me..... I like to try to find a solution on my own first. So, I read. I read posts on here. I read replies to questions. And I am embarrassed that there are people on here that behave the way that some do. See, if (when) I catch my CHILDREN treating others the way some ADULTS on here treat people, there is hell to pay. So when I see adults doing this to people, it disgusts me. And a lot of the time, the people that are getting bullied are too afraid to stand up for themselves.

I completely agree. I can't even believe people are acting like it doesn't happen. It does happen. It is happening. People just pick apart peoples posts bit by bit (when most the time the parts they pick away at are irrelevant anyway). I've also noticed that once one person starts they all start - it's a bit "playground" on here sometimes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's not the help that most resent...it's their tone. I've been called stupid more here in the last two days than ever in my life. Starting to wonder how I ever became valedictorian of my class.
    I remember a specific thread you were in and no one called you stupid, but they did question your attitude about something based on an urban legend someone copied and pasted from Facebook that you were using as the basis for your own argument.

An urban legend that's been debunked a thousand times and has no scientific backing whatsoever.

So ... You're probably not stupid, but you may need to work on critical thinking skills. That is not people here being mean or "the MFP police."

And, put the way that you just did, I may have listened much sooner. I have never claimed to be an expert in any way on that topic. Also, I do not know the credible sites to go look for on that particular subject. Nor, do I have the time to look for them.

It was the tone that everyone was using towards the poster and the subsequent people that dared to post on that subject that got my hackles up. People with knowledge do not have to be rude to get their points across. Or, use sarcasm to cut people down. If they are trying to be helpful...be helpful without the attitudes.

Well, first of all, long before you started posting in that thread, several people pointed out that it was an OLD urban legend that had been around for many years and was not true. So it had been said several times already.

And if you don't know about the subject, why were you so insistent that it *could* be true when so many people were giving credible evidence, pointing to studies and making logical arguments against it? Were we supposed to just let something stand as fact that was a lie?

It seems like your issue is you felt stupid because you tried to make an argument about something you admittedly knew nothing about. My advice is don't post in a thread about a subject you don't know about.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe knowledgeable posters should just stop trying to help. There appears to be a lot of resentment toward their efforts. That's sad.

Maybe you "Knowledgeable Posters" should open your Doctors Office where people can come to you for your professional educated opinion. Where did you receive your MD Degree and License to Practice?

Where did you?

Since you ask, my college degree has nothing to do with the medical field therefore I do not offer any medical type of advice to anyone nor do I ask it of anyone online. I stick to the true professionals (MY DOCTORS).

Are you aware that a doctor is not a dietician and not the best source of nutritional information?

I am aware that, as a patient of the Veterans Administration, when asking my doctor these questions he set me up with the dieticians, physical therapist for a physical evaluation, cardiology, podiatry (due to foot disabilities), orthopedics (due to many other disabilities) and the weight management program. With all of the information obtained as a result of these examinations a plan was developed for me. I can assure you that the idiot MFP Police here who insist YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE RUNNING TO LOSE WEIGHT or YOU HAVE TO INCLUIDE WEIGHT LIFTING TO LOSE WEIGHT are clueless of individual situations and limitations. THAT IS FACT.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    It's not the help that most resent...it's their tone. I've been called stupid more here in the last two days than ever in my life. Starting to wonder how I ever became valedictorian of my class.
    I remember a specific thread you were in and no one called you stupid, but they did question your attitude about something based on an urban legend someone copied and pasted from Facebook that you were using as the basis for your own argument.

An urban legend that's been debunked a thousand times and has no scientific backing whatsoever.

So ... You're probably not stupid, but you may need to work on critical thinking skills. That is not people here being mean or "the MFP police."

And, put the way that you just did, I may have listened much sooner. I have never claimed to be an expert in any way on that topic. Also, I do not know the credible sites to go look for on that particular subject. Nor, do I have the time to look for them.

It was the tone that everyone was using towards the poster and the subsequent people that dared to post on that subject that got my hackles up. People with knowledge do not have to be rude to get their points across. Or, use sarcasm to cut people down. If they are trying to be helpful...be helpful without the attitudes.

Tone is hard to interpret via text. Maybe try focusing on what is being said versus imagining how it is being said?

Just always assume that I am being condescending and snarky. Because that is how I mean it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Well, first of all, long before you started posting in that thread, several people pointed out that it was an OLD urban legend that had been around for many years and was not true. So it had been said several times already.

And if you don't know about the subject, why were you so insistent that it *could* be true when so many people were giving credible evidence, pointing to studies and making logical arguments against it? Were we supposed to just let something stand as fact that was a lie?

It seems like your issue is you felt stupid because you tried to make an argument about something you admittedly knew nothing about. My advice is don't post in a thread about a subject you don't know about.

*gasp*

Bully!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Please show me the threads that you were called stupid in.

Sorry, not those exactly those words. One "gentleman" told me that his six year old daughter could do better research than I could. If he was an expert in the field he was talking about, he should have told the rest of the posters and I'm certain they (and I) would have deferred to him.

Thank you, for pointing out the obvious to those that talk about parroting back information. Again, I'll back out bowing to your superior intelligence.

Did you just complain about being called "stupid," admit that this didn't happen, and then turn around and insult someone else's intelligence?

Well, I'm convinced . . .

I said that the word "stupid" wasn't said, it was implied. Thank you, very much.

And, I didn't insult their intelligence. If you read it, I said that they were more intelligent than myself.

I'm done with these frikken message boards. I guess I'm too sensative for all the sarcasm and snarkiness.
    Please reread what you originally wrote. You did say that the word stupid was said. :flowerforyou:
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Tone is hard to interpret via text. Maybe try focusing on what is being said versus imagining how it is being said?

QFT! if you assume that people are going to attack you for things you say, anything that comes from them will be viewed as offensive. They could compliment your hair, and you would think it was a dig.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    If sarcasm and attitude hurts you, I recommend avoiding the internet completely. Might want to just say home with the curtains closed, just in case.

People have different ways of dealing with annoyance and frustration. Some of us use sarcasm. That doesn't make that someone a bully.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to see a cycle here....at MFP.

You have the knowledgeable people who have been in fitness for years, have credentials, and have the experience answer all the questions on the boards. Their answers get shorter as the questions get repeated and they continuously get challenged by people giving bad advice because that's what the OP wants....encouragement, not really advice.

The knowledgeable people drop off, which I'm noticing and getting close to becoming one of, to be replaced by a new core....only to be chased off the boards in a few months because their answers challenge what the OP wants to hear.

BTW, I didn't join here because I was Fat, Out of Shape, or didn't know what I'm doing (I had been in fitness for over 12 years before joining, as your OP states everyone did). It's a great tool to log what you take in for the day and control your macros.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe knowledgeable posters should just stop trying to help. There appears to be a lot of resentment toward their efforts. That's sad.

Maybe you "Knowledgeable Posters" should open your Doctors Office where people can come to you for your professional educated opinion. Where did you receive your MD Degree and License to Practice?

Where did you?

Since you ask, my college degree has nothing to do with the medical field therefore I do not offer any medical type of advice to anyone nor do I ask it of anyone online. I stick to the true professionals (MY DOCTORS).

Are you aware that a doctor is not a dietician and not the best source of nutritional information?

I am aware that, as a patient of the Veterans Administration, when asking my doctor these questions he set me up with the dieticians, physical therapist for a physical evaluation, cardiology, podiatry (due to foot disabilities), orthopedics (due to many other disabilities) and the weight management program. With all of the information obtained as a result of these examinations a plan was developed for me. I can assure you that the idiot MFP Police here who insist YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE RUNNING TO LOSE WEIGHT or YOU HAVE TO INCLUIDE WEIGHT LIFTING TO LOSE WEIGHT are clueless of individual situations and limitations. THAT IS FACT.

Did your doctor suggest having a negative net daily calorie goal? Or confirm starvation mode?

And you are right, anyone who says any type of exercise is required for weight loss is an idiot.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

Since we are all on this "journey" together, before you go juding people and calling them out for not being educated, remember you were uneducated about all of this once too. That's why you are here.

*snip*

Why not just be supportive or ignore? People are going to use supplements and not eat enough calories and not log everything. This site is supposed to be supportive, helpful and educational. Not full of a bunch of bullies. Haha I lost a 100 pounds and you are having trouble so let me be mean. Really? I know my ticker shows that I started this overweight. I am pretty sure most everyone else's does too.

*snip*

Oh. This again.

Point one above. Actually, not true at all. We are not all here on any journey together. I'm working on changing my lifestyle which I knowingly let get out of hand. I knew the right things to do for deacdes, and didn't do them. It wasn't until I got a diagnosis that I started to do the right things. I did not come here for education or support. I came here for a convenient place to log my calories and it had a very large database. I came here because the site I originally found had a very crappy food and exercise database, and when I would look things up to enter them there, google kept bringing up MFPs food database. I was on that other site for 4 months before coming to MFP. I was on MFP for at least 2 months before I went to the forums and recevied my first friend request.

I have rarely asked for any fitness related advice or tips, and when I have, I keep it to my FL. So, don't project your experience on everyone else.

Second, Why not be supportive? I think it is supportive to call people out on their BS. For every person who posts, there are many more that are just lurking in the background, and they read these posts and take them as good. If everyone just ignored them, that would be passively promoting unhealthy and sometimes dangerous practices. MFP is a community, and it is our civic duty to point out and correct wrongs in the society.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    This gave me a great laugh; well written. I have broken so many rules I couldn't even remember them to list them. Great job on your success and have an awesome weekend!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I can assure you that the idiot MFP Police here who insist YOU HAVE TO INCLUDE RUNNING TO LOSE WEIGHT or YOU HAVE TO INCLUIDE WEIGHT LIFTING TO LOSE WEIGHT are clueless of individual situations and limitations. THAT IS FACT.

I legitimately have never seen this from any of the knowlegable posters who know caloric deficit is what helps you lose weight. Exercise helps with the deficit.
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Good advice.

But, might I suggest that there was no reason for me to believe that these people were not just posting links from websites that opposed the OP just because they themselves didn't believe what they called an urban legend? Other than one person, I don't recall seeing anyone posting why we should believe them over anyone else. I believe one man vaguely mentioned how he came about his knowledge.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You had me a pop tart! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    I am super stoked that you cared enough to take the time to write up this awesome post!

I am positive that this will put them all in their place after reading it.

Aren't you in the Village People?
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    That doesn't make that someone a bully.
    [/quote]

You are correct. At least a "bully" has the nerve to say something personally to someone's face. It would make these people cowards instead.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Who watches the Watchmen?!

Huh?

Tell me that!
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    but receiving others' advice is one of the purposes of these message boards . . . well, in addition to rating the above poster on whether they'd "date, hump, or dump" them . . .

Am I the only one who cracked up at this particular statement .. well done sir!