COFFEE LOVERS!? What do you put in your coffee?

Options

Replies

• RedwoodCoast
    RedwoodCoast Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Stevia to sweeten and skim milk. Aww yeh
    This -
    I make the coffee strong, and for a big mug put about 1/3 cup of skim milk and 4 stevia drops in. I've gotten where I prefer that flavor over half-and-half.... but that took a while.

Any change you make will take some getting used to -- give yourself a few weeks to adjust.
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have not thought about that, I actually drink coffee just because I like to drink it, not for the energy. Coffee doesn't give me ANY energy whatsoever. I think I'm immune too it. :(

Wait til you try cutting back on it. You will realise you are not immune, just already addicted. You don't get the caffeine affect as a buzz as your body has adjusted to having it and relies upon it being there.

Trust me, I went through it about 10 years ago and it was not much fun. Now I drink 2 - 4 cups in the morning, between 6 and about 11 am, then no more or I become a tad jittery.

I know when I cut back, I ended up getting the headaches really bad. WATER WATER WATER. It didn't get rid of the headaches, but it did make them tolerable.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I have an espresso maker and I often make my boyfriend iced vanilla lattes. I use about a teaspoon of brown sugar, a shot or two of espresso, about a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and fill with ice and vanilla unsweetened almond milk. I'm sure this could be done with regular coffee too, just with less milk and ice - or a larger cup! For myself, I like to use flavored espresso capsules (vanilla, chocolate, or caramel) sometimes because they don't add calories and then fill the glass with unsweetened vanilla almond milk. As a treat, I also like to sprinkle cinnamon (on a hot drink only) or drizzle Dulce de Leche sauce on top. Cocoa powder is also delicious for a mocha drink!

I used to be a Starbucks addict and got Skinny drinks (sometimes with soy milk) every day: Vanilla and Cinnamon Dolce Lattes, Caramel and Hazelnut Macchiatos, Cafe Mochas... But I decided I needed to ditch the artificial sweetener and make it myself rather than throwing away money constantly. I rarely sweeten my homemade coffee because I wanted to get used to the taste without sweetener, and I have. Now when I go to Starbucks, I get the real sugar because it's a rare treat!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Good coffee doesn't need anything added to it. If you don't like it black, it either wasn't made right or you don't really like coffee.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Medium Roast Donut Shop Keurig Kcup set on travel mug size with 2 scoops of Pure Cane sugar and 2 tbsp. of International Delight Hershey's Chocolate and Caramel coffee creamer has been a mainstay to start my day... :drinker:
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I like it black, Jack.

I buy organic & fair trade beans from Klatch, Intelligensia, Allegro and others. I use a french press or cold brew my coffee. The higher quality the coffee the easier it is to enjoy without milks & creams and especially sugar. I hate sugar/syrups in my coffee. Here and there I have a soy latte, but they seem very heavy to me. There is So Delicious coconut creamer that I have from time to time, but it sinks in the coffee which I find strange. Try a higher quality coffee, or a medium to light roast and see if you can drink it black :)
  • Mistyfied_MD
    Mistyfied_MD Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Coffee creamer is my one vice--no low-fat or low-sugar for me =) Amaretto flavor, preferably.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    i went from sweet tea to unsweetened and don't miss it one bit, but I just cannot seem to go to black coffee. I use about 2 Tbsp half and half and 1 packet of Purevia or Truvia (stevia) per mug. If can make your own instead of buying it from a coffee place you can then use that money to buy some excellent coffee. I am ordering mine from Gevalia right now and with specials they run it is actually cheaper than if I bought coffee from the grocery store. Recently I tried the Pumpkin and when my son had some he said it tasted like Autumn.
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    More coffee. lol. Actually I steep a bag of green tea and a bag of black tea. It helps me get my tea in, so I can drink more water. Then I just sip on my coffee all day. My traveler mug is awesome and keeps it hot all day.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I usually put in these little ground-up brown bean things and steaming hot water. That's all you need.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    im a big coffee drinker. i weaned myself off of sugar in my coffee. now i just have a splash of almond milk, sometimes vanilla almond milk
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind I drink my coffee black.....

What on Earth is the reason for bulletproof coffee and what does it taste like?

I read the 'inventor's' blurb and giggled, so I really don't get it! But so many others here drink it I am feeling nosy...

I was in the middle of a plateau and tried it for 2 weeks and it worked. I made mine with organic coffee, coconut oil, organic butter, and a bit of cinnamon or cocoa. It actually tasted good, like creamy coffee. I think blending it well is key to make it frothy. I wouldn't be hungry until well after my regular lunchtime when I drank it.
  • beastmodekittyx
    beastmodekittyx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just a little 1% milk! Or black!
  • thatonepersonfromtheinternet
    Options
    I take mine black with sugar. I used to be like you and put so much milk and creamer in it but eventually got into a new habit.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just milk - prefer 1% or skim if I am at home.
  • hevhoyda
    hevhoyda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I normally drink some flavor kcup...which I'm obsessed with my Keurig!!...and I'll add packet of Stevia for a little extra sweetness
  • farniente8
    farniente8 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I only have one cup of coffee a day now, just that first cup in the morning. That changed when I got pregnant a few years ago and my doctor recommended cutting back on caffeine. I got used to drinking mostly water after cutting out coffee and soda. Now I just need that first perfect cup with breakfast and I am ready to go caffeine free for 24 hours. Ha. When I say perfect I mean perfect, two tablespoons of real half and half with two teaspoons of pure yummy sugar. It's 65 calories and worth every delicious sip.

I noticed that you said you force water. If you have a hard time drinking water because you don't like the taste try putting lemon, lime or orange slices in it. A little goes a long way.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind I drink my coffee black.....

What on Earth is the reason for bulletproof coffee and what does it taste like?

I read the 'inventor's' blurb and giggled, so I really don't get it! But so many others here drink it I am feeling nosy...

I was in the middle of a plateau and tried it for 2 weeks and it worked. I made mine with organic coffee, coconut oil, organic butter, and a bit of cinnamon or cocoa. It actually tasted good, like creamy coffee. I think blending it well is key to make it frothy. I wouldn't be hungry until well after my regular lunchtime when I drank it.

So it is a fill you upper! Ah well, the very thought of creamy coffee makes me feel ill, so not one for me.
    Maybe a hot chocolate version...... :)

Thanks.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Drink real coffee, OP. You may find you need all the flavors because you are drinking Folger's Instant. If you are a Dunkin's fan, try a dark Columbian roast like New England Coffee's Colombian Supremo Dark Roast -- which is moderately cheap in the supermarket. You can also buy Dunkin's in many markets. There are lots of good supermarket coffees available. Newman's Own is also very good. If you like Dunkin's, you may find some other darks, like Starbucks, taste burned. You'll have to experiment.

Since you like iced coffee (as do I), use a drip coffee maker (a cheap one from Wally World is fine) and put the coffee in a closed contained in the fridge for the next day. I alternate days of hot and iced coffee. I drink 1/2 the hot pot and then shove the rest in the fridge for the next day's iced coffee. If you make sure to seal the container when you put it in the fridge, the coffee will still taste fresh for iced -- not so good reheated.

The downside of this is that you will never want to drink instant coffee again!

Then start walking yourself back from having so much stuff in your coffee. I used to feel the need to sweeten mine but I weaned myself off and now just use milk. Whole milk tastes great in coffee. I find with lower fat milks I need proportionately more milk and end up with about the same calories.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The only cream I found that I like that is low on calories and has the same taste to me is the Land O Lakes Fat Free Creamer. I use it with 2 Splenda;)