Calling 911...have you ever done it?

Options

Replies

• TammyP64
    TammyP64 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Twice...once when an elderly man fell and had hit his head. The other time when my husband and I were eating dinner at a restaurant and I saw a mom physically abusing her toddler son. The cops came and arrested her.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    few dozen times. domestic 3-4 times to report a car accident
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    999in this case, as in UK, but yes I did.

I saw some guys fighting and this woman was shouting 'someone call the police, this guy getting mugged'. To me, I think it was a fight, not a mugging, the woman was probably a friend of one party and saying it like that to make him sound innocent. But she wanted the police, this was clear, and also something violent was happening. No one else was calling them so I did- I never want to be affected by the bydstander affect, I couldn't be a guy to let Kitty Genoviese die, you know what I mean. So I thought I would do it. Luckily they didn't turn on me, as was my fear! A police man came 2 minutes later and I think it all got sorted, like basically he just broke it up, didn't look like any arrests.
  • xoxolindseym
    Options
    I have, once.

Sitting in the living room watching tv late at night and heard the front doorknob being jingled and twisted.

I haven't been that scared in a loooong time.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Never. Just the non-emergency number to complain of thugs in my old neighborhood :grumble: they have radar because by the time po-po rolled around they were hiding and soon as they pull away they came back out.
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    Called for myself twice because of fainting.

I don't mean to have a go but what happened when you did this? My friend faints quite often, 2 times in my company and both times I did nothing at all, just waited for her to come round, it wouldn't even occur to me to seek medical intervention, like what could they even do? But I am thinking maybe I am a negligent friend lol! But I don't know about your medical circumstances to be fair.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    If you have, what for?

Yes, when I was a kid. I don't remember why, but boy oh boy, was my mom pissed. :tongue:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    When I was a little kid I used to take the rotary phone into the bathroom and call 911 to let them know that my grandma had died. I didn't understand the concept, I guess... or I just wanted attention. lol

My mom found out when an ambulance showed up at our house. I was in big trouble. :ohwell:
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yes, when I was rear ended by a drunk driver and when I saw a man being viciously beat up by a group of teenagers.
  • AynzL
    AynzL Posts: 40
    Options
    Did you know if you hit the On Star button and then shut the vehicle off it will call 911??? We were out fishing late one night and stopped at the gas station on our way home. We were driving a friends truck and he showed us the button to hear the weather.... well he must have hit the wrong button. When we got back out and started the truck 911 was on the radio. We thought it was a commercial at first..... nope. Adding that the truck was also new to him. We learned that quickly.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Way too often. I live in Reno and weirdness seems to follow me.

In our previous house, once when we heard a loud crash in the middle of the night on the busy street behind our house. My husband and I got up and used a chair to look over the block wall behind our house. We saw a body lying on the ground behind our wall. We nearly killed each other trying to be the first one off the chair and back into the house. The "body" wandered away by the time the police got there. It was a drunk lady who had run into one of the reflector post things in the center divider. They eventually found her.

Also in the same house, our dogs started barking at 2 in the morning. My husband looked out and there was a guy standing on our doorstep. He never knocked, but eventually went back to his car, which was parked between us and the neighbors. And just sat there. So we called 911 for them to come and check him out. Fifteen minutes later, we had no less than 12 cop cars and gang unit vehicles surrounding the vehicle, cops out, ducked down behind their open car doors with guns drawn, yelling for the guy (and the one that was hiding, laying down in the back seat) to come out with their hands raised. Apparently the guy laying down in the back had a warrant.

In our current home, we live at a T intersection. Directly across from our bedroom window, a street tees into the street that runs in front of our house. Again, in the middle of the night, we heard tires screeching and people yelling. We looked out in time to see a bunch of teenagers, who had gotten out of a car, yank another teenager out of the back of a pick up truck that was pulling away, on the street across from our bedroom window. They started beating him and we called 911. While we were on the phone, they jumped back in their car, raced off down the street, then spun around and came back toward the kid who was lying, motionless in the middle of the street. I was freaking out because it appeared they were going to run him over, but they swerved at the last minute and took off. We went out (armed) to check on the kid. He was pretty out of it. I made him lay still until the paramedics got there. He kept asking, "Who is that? Who is taking care of me?" Yeah, they're all pretty tough till they need a mom.

Also current home, again, two in the morning, 4th of July. My granddaughter had just gotten up and was throwing up. I heard a series of pops and heard screaming and crying. So we called AGAIN! The guy who had moved into our quiet, family neighborhood (my house is directly across from an elementary school. The T street runs behind it) 2 doors down from us, had been making us all nervous. He looked a bit sketchy and the people that came around were no better. Turns out he was highly placed in a gang. A member of a rival gang had walked up to where he and some friends were sitting in his garage, with the door open, and opened fire, killing one of his friends. Of course in retaliation, he and some friends later went by a rival gang member's house and did a drive by. So, they came back a few days later and did a drive by on that guy again. That went on for 6 months and we called 911 every time the bullets started flying. The *kitten* finally moved away.

And finally, when I weighed almost 300 pounds, my back went into a spasm that left me unable to get off my bathroom floor. I thought I had ruptured a disk. After laying there for over an hour, unable to get up because it felt like I was doing damage and the pain was unbearable, I allowed my husband to call 911. Two female paramedics came in and shot me up with morphine, twice, before I was able to tell it was some kind of spasm and able to assist them to some extent, getting me on a stretcher. Then the poor things had to lug my heavy *kitten* to the gurney and out to the ambulance. THAT made quite the impression on me. I was on the couch for 2 weeks, unable to walk until it healed and quit spasming. It was then that I decided that was never going to happen to me again and I lost over 100 pounds. That was 10 years ago and I've kept it off ever since.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Everyone whom works 911 will remember that when you are having a true emergency and need us. We will just forget you called, if we are a joke.

I've comforted a dying child in my arms. I've shaken the had of a cardiac arrest victim that survived because of us. I've delivered babies, I've hugged a perfect stranger who's husband had just passed.

*kitten* you, sir. *kitten*. You.

THIS !!!!! ^^^^^^^^ Amen!!

I wonder what the quotations mean in the post you're all quoting? durrr

I admire your commitment to trying to defend that "911 joke" joke, and that you called as a prank. But at this point and based on how the response on this thread is going, it might be better to just let it go. Sometimes jokes fall flat, you either scrap them or rework them.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I wasn't defending my 911 prank call.. all I posted was a "meh" gif for that.

This ^ discussion was not about that. It was skullshank who posted "9-1-1 is a joke" I was defending him. Thanks for comin' out!

ETA: His comment "911 is a joke" is a Public Enemy song.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Yup thank God I did! jerk *kitten* was in my bedroom trying to rob me !
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Everyone whom works 911 will remember that when you are having a true emergency and need us. We will just forget you called, if we are a joke.

I've comforted a dying child in my arms. I've shaken the had of a cardiac arrest victim that survived because of us. I've delivered babies, I've hugged a perfect stranger who's husband had just passed.

I admire your commitment to trying to defend that "911 joke" joke, and that you called as a prank. But at this point and based on how the response on this thread is going, it might be better to just let it go. Sometimes jokes fall flat, you either scrap them or rework them.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I wasn't defending my 911 prank call.. all I posted was a "meh" gif for that.

This ^ discussion was not about that. It was skullshank who posted "9-1-1 is a joke" I was defending him. Thanks for comin' out!

thought i cleared this up on page 4 with a "thank you" for your service, and an apology for making an (suprisingly) obscure joke.

let's try again, shall we?....

the quote was from a song, i apologize for you not knowing that.
    thank you all so much for your service to the community...without you, many lives would be lost.

theres a butthurt emergency joke in here somewhere, but i think i will sidestep it for the time being.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Le sigh...

The guy who post the joke already said he was sorry for saying it cause it struck a cord with certain 911 workers who didn't get it. That is why I said let it go. Pointing out that you were pranking 911 was just to help you see the light that you might not be on the best footing in this thread to lend support.

But I have no idea what I'm talking about, so I'll just bow out.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Le sigh...

The guy who post the joke already said he was sorry for saying it cause it struck a cord with certain 911 workers who didn't get it. That is why I said let it go. Pointing out that you were pranking 911 was just to help you see the light that you might not be on the best footing in this thread to lend support.

I found it odd that the quotations in his post were overlooked and it was taken as his own words. People don't typically quote themselves.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I used to work as a 911 dispatcher and I have gotten some scary calls as well as some irritating ones.

Being in South Florida, we have a LOT of elderly people and you would be suprised how many of them would lock themselfs INSIDE of the car, unable to get out.
    Mostly Toyotas for some reason but, the Toyota Camry locks the doors automatically when it is put in drive and unlocks automatically once the car is shut off.
    The problem is that some of these elderly people would get a jump start or something and as soon as they shut the car off, it is DEAD.
    The door would not automatically unlock and they didn't know how to manually flip the little thing forward.

We got a lot of stolen vehicle calls and it turns out they just forget where they parked.

Several "My drug dealer ripped me off" calls.

And I have called 911 a few times myself.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have ! I was a junior on my fire department, So I know the ins and outs of dispatch and how everything works behind the scenes and such.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Does it count if 911 calls me? Well not me personally but my office. I forgot to add this in my last comment. I got one just about an hour ago. At work our security extensions include 911 so we have people that inevitable call 911 and hang up. Then 911 has to call back and make sure that we are not needing service.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Le sigh...

I found it odd that the quotations in his post were overlooked and it was taken as his own words. People don't typically quote themselves.

We are all very aware that OP was quoting a song.... But, we are just pointing out, song quoting or not, that it is an ignorant line to quote or share on such a topic.... why quote something like that? Would you feel the same if your family member died because people thought 911 was a joke and making prank calls, thus having emergency persons responding to pranks??.... It's happened, and it's wrong! THAT is what we are referring to.