Calling 911...have you ever done it?

Options

Replies

• dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Did read all the other posts....but yes I have. Found someone in the process of committing suicide. Happy to say she did not succeed.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    who really gives a frick???
    WHO GIVES!!?????
  • dodihere
    Options
    Someone shot bullets in our house

Domestic Violence

My dad had COPD and couldn't breathe

I called several times because I suffer from panic attacks

My house caught on fire and burned to the ground.

I called the police because my daughter was out of control and I wanted them to take her (they wouldn't and she is great now LOL)

My cousin called because she got high and made it to the front steps of her house and she thought she was dying (first time high since she was young), needless to say her husband came home told the dispatcher she was fine and carried her in the house. She was so embarrassed.
  • dodihere
    Options
    Oh and I forget I called when I fell and broke my leg in an ice storm.

Ambulance took me to the hospital and they slid off the road with me in the back and had to get pulled out. Nice.
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    "9-1-1 is a joke"

Everyone whom works 911 will remember that when you are having a true emergency and need us. We will just forget you called, if we are a joke.

I've comforted a dying child in my arms. I've shaken the had of a cardiac arrest victim that survived because of us. I've delivered babies, I've hugged a perfect stranger who's husband had just passed.

*kitten* you, sir. *kitten*. You.

THIS !!!!! ^^^^^^^^ Amen!!

I wonder what the quotations mean in the post you're all quoting? durrr

I admire your commitment to trying to defend that "911 joke" joke, and that you called as a prank. But at this point and based on how the response on this thread is going, it might be better to just let it go. Sometimes jokes fall flat, you either scrap them or rework them.

You have no idea what you're talking about. I wasn't defending my 911 prank call.. all I posted was a "meh" gif for that.

This ^ discussion was not about that. It was skullshank who posted "9-1-1 is a joke" I was defending him. Thanks for comin' out!

ETA: His comment "911 is a joke" is a Public Enemy song.

thought i cleared this up on page 4 with a "thank you" for your service, and an apology for making an (suprisingly) obscure joke.

let's try again, shall we?....

the quote was from a song, i apologize for you not knowing that.
    thank you all so much for your service to the community...without you, many lives would be lost.

theres a butthurt emergency joke in here somewhere, but i think i will sidestep it for the time being.

I for one, appreciate your apology. I DO know that it is a song lyric. Just thought it was a distasteful joke/quote, especially since there was nothing else in the response saying you viewed 911 differently. Much like it would be distasteful if the quote was talking about raping a child, killing elderly people, burning a church, etc on a thread topid about those....
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I did not realize that the comment I was/am angry about was from a song.

It is disgusting that someone would write that, let alone sing about it to make money.

If you've never needed our services, than feel blessed. You don't truly understand what we do, until you do. I hope that anyone that has never needed our services continues to never need them.

Many a firefighter/ems personnel have been hurt or killed in the line of duty. We are not armed, we do not have a way to fight back, yet every day, we will risk our lives to save yours, or you loved ones.

Take a ride on an ambulance one night, or a firetruck. Hold the hand of someone that is trying to survive a horrid tragedy that happened, beit being shot/stabbed/beaten/stung by a bee/eaten the wrong food/had a car accident.... watch the men and women of red run into a house/building and try to save anyone that is in there, all while risking their own lives. See what we do, every day, then you'll understand why that statement made my blood boil.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    And, thank you for your apology. I also didn't realize that you believed differently from your quote.
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    We are all very aware that OP was quoting a song.... But, we are just pointing out, song quoting or not, that it is an ignorant line to quote or share on such a topic.... why quote something like that? Would you feel the same if your family member died because people thought 911 was a joke and making prank calls, thus having emergency persons responding to pranks??.... It's happened, and it's wrong! THAT is what we are referring to.

I never said 911 was a joke. I just said that I prank called it many times.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    In the last 10 years:

2x for the our neighbor beating the crap out of his girlfriend,
    3x for other neighbors beating the crap out of whomever happens to be in their home for whatever reason,
    when our cars were broken into,
    for someone receiving "services" from a prostitute in front of my house,
    when a neighbors bonfire (they were drunk) caught my tree on fire,
    when a salesman my husband invited in our house (WHY?!) wouldn't leave because we didn't want to buy a vacuum,
    when a 4x4 fell of the back of a truck in front of me and nearly killed us all,

We nearly called last night over two teenagers having a fist fight in my driveway. We're thinking of having cameras installed. Or just moving.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I was going to call the other night because there were several cars with head lights on in the middle of the night and clogging up the road. No one was going anywhere. But then they started to pull away and two of them were cops. :blushing:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I did Friday night, and followed the SUPER drunk driver while telling the dispatcher where she was going. The chick hit a curb, and almost sideswiped a cyclist. She had to get OFF the road.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I've dailed 911 twice.
    Once when my mother collapsed and had to go to the hospital.
    And the second time leaving A Perfect Circle concert, this guy in the elevator could hardly stand up, and then climbed behind the wheel of a car.

Then I've dailed 311 over minor domestic disputes.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I was 3 or 4 and my big sister wouldn't play with me. The policeman that came out had the same name I do and we made friends. He gave me a teddy bear and made sure I understood when you need to call 911 and when you need to watch Sesame Street.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    I did not realize that the comment I was/am angry about was from a song.

It is disgusting that someone would write that, let alone sing about it to make money.

If you've never needed our services, than feel blessed. You don't truly understand what we do, until you do. I hope that anyone that has never needed our services continues to never need them.

Many a firefighter/ems personnel have been hurt or killed in the line of duty. We are not armed, we do not have a way to fight back, yet every day, we will risk our lives to save yours, or you loved ones.

Take a ride on an ambulance one night, or a firetruck. Hold the hand of someone that is trying to survive a horrid tragedy that happened, beit being shot/stabbed/beaten/stung by a bee/eaten the wrong food/had a car accident.... watch the men and women of red run into a house/building and try to save anyone that is in there, all while risking their own lives. See what we do, every day, then you'll understand why that statement made my blood boil.

the song was a social statement on the seemingly endless delay experienced in black neighborhoods when 911 was called for a legitimate reason. at least it had some thought behind it rather than a song promoting drug use or violence.
    it was a musical protest.

*shrug*
  • JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We are all very aware that OP was quoting a song.... But, we are just pointing out, song quoting or not, that it is an ignorant line to quote or share on such a topic.... why quote something like that? Would you feel the same if your family member died because people thought 911 was a joke and making prank calls, thus having emergency persons responding to pranks??.... It's happened, and it's wrong! THAT is what we are referring to.

Ma'am, I wasn't referring to your post. I was referring to the one who posted that "9-1-1 is a joke"
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options

Ma'am, I wasn't referring to your post. I was referring to the one who posted that "9-1-1 is a joke"

But you said.. oh forget it :flowerforyou:
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    The windows in my living room and den were broken out with a baseball bat at 11:30 one night after I'd gone to bed. Initially I thought they'd been shot out but witnesses saw the baseball bat weilding idiots responsible.

Gun in one hand, cell phone in the other, I called 911 and waited for police. FYI. If you have a land line, call 911 from it and not your cell. My cell call immediately went to the California Highway Patrol before it got transferred to local police dispatch. I should have known better. But was in a blind panic at that point, thinking someone might have come in through the broken windows, and wasn't thinking clearly.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I once called 119 in th UK while visiting there...cause I'm a badass!!!
  • sangeyvang
    Options
    With my brother yes.

We were driving home and we saw a woman waiting to cross the street near my house. She was wearing a white dress soaked in blood and I thought "Huh, why is she by herself in a Halloween costume?" Then I realized it was early august.

Turns out her husband stabbed her several times in the chest. She recovered and come actual Halloween came to my house with her son trick-or-treating.

OMG. That is scary!! Glad to hear she recovered.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have reoccurring theme in my dreams of calling 911 and getting put on hold.