"Why are you single?"

Options

Replies

• LMick1986
    Options
    I think the stock answer "because I haven't found the right person" is really the only answer. Just like some people refuse online dating because they say it doesn't work. You never know if it will work or not. Every relationship is different. I can say it hasn't worked for me at a bar, at a grocery store, at a coffee shop, at a library, online, etc. It has worked in all of those places for other people. It's always different. Some work, some don't.
  • LMick1986
    Options
  • Karabobarra
    Karabobarra Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I got asked "why, are at your age, have you never been married". I replied "Marriage offers no benefits to the male species." Yea, she was mad LOL

This made me laugh.... because I feel the same way except for the female species....lol.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    "I haven't found the right one" to put up with my special brand of crazy.
  • GypsyRoad2
    GypsyRoad2 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    "I haven't found the right one" to put up with my special brand of crazy.

That's funny!!!
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    Honestly its because I haven't met anyone I'm actually interested in. And I don't think it is a rude question. Lots of people actually ask me that question..LOL. Yet, for some reason, I still am single.
  • AtlantisLoss
    AtlantisLoss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Meh. If I can't love myself, how can I love someone else?

I'll work on loving me first.

:heart:
  • LMick1986
    Options
    post-11869-Aubrey-Plaza-Im-too-awkward-to-bBwa.png
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Okay I want to preface this by saying 1) I'm not single and 2) I'm not trying to be rude to people who are and ACTUALLY like it that way.

But does it drive anyone else batty when people say "I'm happy being single" or "I'm just taking time to work on me" but then complain like crazy anytime there's a wedding or a party and they don't have a date and beg you to set them up with every single person you know?

Maybe it's just me...

Some people are tired of being harassed by stupid norm-enforcing questions, & made anxious by it. It's just easier to fend off intrusive questions if you're shielded by company, I guess. Even 'nice' comments like 'hope it's your turn soon!'.

Plus maybe it's payback for having to hear about the stupid wedding ( & pay to attend that & the engagement party, stag/stagette, god worse if it's a bloody destination wedding) for the entire bloody year.

That said I personally like going on my own. Weddings are *great* for lazy singles (dance card full, zero effort, already dressed).
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    People have already given some of my reasons..

I won't tolerate being treated like crap. Finding someone who doesn't lie, cheat on, or try to play you seems difficult these days.

The drama they bring with them.

But oddly, a guy who's younger than me might be a better match. Whenever I've dated someone my own age, the guy lives like he's already got one foot in the grave. No, I don't want someone who is overweight and won't take care of himself. I'm overweight, but doing something about it.

And no I don't want to date you, if all you ever want to do is go out to eat, go to the movies, and hang around one of our respective houses. I like to travel, and hike, and do fun things.
    I want to go out with someone who'd teach me how to sail. I'm not old enough to live like I'm already dying.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

No. The most idiotic question in the world is,

..."what do you do?"

translation: "How much money do you make?" That's what they're really asking. :)
  • pari_06
    pari_06 Posts: 109
    Options
    I am single because i have yet to find my prince charming...;-) ..lol
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I am single because I don't trust my judgement anymore.
  • KD454
    KD454 Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm just too cool for someone to love me lmao
  • EllaIsNotEnchanted
    Options
    aint nobody got time for that ;)
  • nblais06
    nblais06 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    aint nobody got time for that ;)

every time i hear this i giggle a little inside!
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i totally admit i am a pain in the *kitten* and usually find inappropriate humor in everything. people have enough drama in their lives and i refuse to add to it
  • mou_254
    mou_254 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i think its because i'm fat and ugly...but honestly,i have no idea!! :P
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I think that's a really stupid question. I mean it's rarely that simple. If i was single and wanted to be in a relationship (which you probably do if you are on a speed dating night) and knew the definitive reason why I was single then I probably would have rectified the problem a long time ago and wouldn't be single anymore.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think it's rude, but it depends on whose doing the asking, IMO. (If a single man asks me, it's ok, but if random people ask, I do think it's rude.) I just have bad luck :( And I also think that despite what guys my age say, they are not really interested in looking for intelligent, self-supporting women and still hold out for (insert stereotypical career)-Barbie. Even when they look like trolls. With beer bellies. And bad teeth. And are not ambitious in the least.

The search continues...