5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks

Options

Replies

• vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Read Carson's post.

A trail marathon can in no way, shape or form be described as "the next step up" from C25K.

Yes, I understand some have done this successfully. Your odds of going down in flames, however, are much greater than your odds of success.

LOL C25K to trail marathon?

I've ran multiple sub 21 5ks... 2 soon to be 3 marathons, and I still shutter at the thought of a trail marathon.

I did a trail 25k once, harder than a marathon.

I'd actually enjoy seeing someone go from C25K to trail marathon. :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Trail races suck. After two ridiculous experiences this summer, I withdrew from a trail HM. I'll stick to Xterras. Blech.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Trail races suck. After two ridiculous experiences this summer, I withdrew from a trail HM. I'll stick to Xterras. Blech.

LOL!!! I did two 50 mile trail races in 2009 and 2010. I figured the second time it had to be better than the first, right? Nope. Took over 6 weeks to feel normal again when I ran. Said "never again" and have no regrets about that. Kind of enjoying my 5k/10k seasons now. Some people love them - I'm not built that way.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As someone who went from Couch to Marathon Maniac in less than a year I have to warn you this plan looks like a bad idea. I wish you luck and hope you don't injury yourself.
  • denfrank
    denfrank Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hear dat!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    This is a very aggressive and wildly optimistic training plan, at best.

I'm not saying NO ONE can do it. Yes, there are some people who can. And there are a LOT more who will find themselves sidelined with injury following this plan.

I went from zero-to-hero, deciding on a whim to sign up for a half-marathon exactly 2 months from the race date. I handled it okay, but jumping from half to full marathon, let alone a trail marathon, was a very different beast.

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuits. I think you should just moderate your enthusiastic tone with a modicum of caution before saying everyone else should follow you down this path. Long distance running is not for everyone.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    This not a wise idea at all. It is a recipe for injury. There is absolutely no reason to jump from 5K to ultra in that short of a period of time. There are plenty of intermediate goals that are worthwhile. I just don't get why so many people feel like you have to run a marathon or longer to be considered a runner. Why not try for a 25 minute 5K? That still requires you to run nearly the same mileage that you would to train for a Half Marathon.

Running endurance is not built up over a period of weeks and months. It takes YEARS to build a proper aerobic base AND to condition the muscles, tendons and ligaments to be able to handle the rigors of marathon training. You can't rush it. There are no shortcuts. You just have to run and gradually build your mileage.

This. I won't say this plan is the worst idea in the world, but its up there. 5k straight to running multiple 20+ mile runs in preparation for a trail marathon? I've been running marathons for 9 years, and I don't run that many 20+ runs to train. I think that first 15 mile run will be a wake up call. If you go through with this, invest in a foam roller and a massage therapist.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This not a wise idea at all. It is a recipe for injury. There is absolutely no reason to jump from 5K to ultra in that short of a period of time. There are plenty of intermediate goals that are worthwhile. I just don't get why so many people feel like you have to run a marathon or longer to be considered a runner. Why not try for a 25 minute 5K? That still requires you to run nearly the same mileage that you would to train for a Half Marathon.

Running endurance is not built up over a period of weeks and months. It takes YEARS to build a proper aerobic base AND to condition the muscles, tendons and ligaments to be able to handle the rigors of marathon training. You can't rush it. There are no shortcuts. You just have to run and gradually build your mileage.
    This. I won't say this plan is the worst idea in the world, but its up there. 5k straight to running multiple 20+ mile runs in preparation for a trail marathon? I've been running marathons for 9 years, and I don't run that many 20+ runs to train. I think that first 15 mile run will be a wake up call. If you go through with this, invest in a foam roller and a massage therapist.
    Yup I'd agree with this not being a wise idea, I'm no expert (well apart in what my own body can do), but you dont seem to have a lot of rest in the schedule and allowing for your body to recover. It's not a matter of months but years to get your body in a good enough shape to put it through a marathon. Because it's not the Marathon that's going to hurt, it's the miles leading up to the marathon that'll do the damage.
    Only got two marathons to my name, but b*ggered the last one with over training / over racing and bam, that was the IT band sorted and having to have a physio session on mile 20. Deleted all pics of my last few miles on that one. Wasn't a pretty sight.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone run a ultra marathon plan designed by a rower? let alone one like this. Most marathon plans are 16 - 20 weeks, and this is a 14 week ultra plan for people who have just finished C25K?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Why not just do it now? You chicken?
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'd actually enjoy seeing someone go from C25K to trail marathon. :)

I would too but it should be C25k to a trail 50k ... although I've yet to see a trail marathon actually be 26.2 miles. Sometimes they are 20, sometimes they are 25.

I had two years, 3 road marathons and a trail marathon under my belt before I did my first 50k. I don't get the rush either but to each their own. I'm going to go get some popcorn now.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Listen to Carson! He knows all!

This plan has you increasing distance WAY too quickly. Most sound training programs will have you increase your long run by 10% each week. You wouldn't increase your total weekly mileage so fast, either.

You're setting yourself up for injury and disappointment.

I got hooked on training after my first 5 km race which was only a couple months ago. For the next two years, I'm focused on getting my 5 km time below 20 minutes. I have gradually, over months, increased my mileage to 40/week and am working toward 60/week...very gradually. To me, this will be a more meaningful accomplishment than struggling just to finish 26.2 miles and hating every injured minute of it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Every post I have seen from this guy speaks to his knowledge about running. The OP (and anyone else considering such an advanced, strenuous plan) would be wise to listen to him.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that this plan was developed by an elite athlete who already has an advanced fitness level. This is not safe for the average runner.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster that said the first 15 miler will be a wake up call. I ran my first full marathon this year and was very surprised to realize how much harder those long runs become when you are running for 2-4 hours. It's not quite the same as training for a half marathon. Each additional mile is HUGE when you are up in the high double digits. Good luck, but don't underestimate how difficult it may be.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    From 5k (barely) to TRAIL MARATHON in 14 weeks???

I'm hoping to graduate from 5k to 10k in about the same amount of time you're planning to go from 5k to 42k over rugged terrain.

Good luck with that.

(And *now*, to read the rest of this thread...)

Edit: Okay, I'm actually planning to graduate from 5k to 10k in about 6 weeks. 14 weeks includes the time from beginning to 5k. The message in my post is unchanged by this clarification. I tried pushing myself on distances once before. Was quickly up to 5-8 miles on rugged trails and loving it. Problem was that I wasn't ready for the mileage or the terrain and I ran myself into a nasty case of PF. This time, I'm taking it slow and building gradually. If people out there are going from 5k to trail marathon in a few months without any resulting chronic problems, I'm impressed.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Why not just do it now? You chicken?

Go hard or go home, right?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I very much look forward to the update in 14 weeks
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that this plan was developed by an elite athlete who already has an advanced fitness level. This is not safe for the average runner.
    I think thats the bit the OP is trying to ignore
  • cwsikes
    Options
    This sounds like the most terrible "plan" I've ever read but I'm sure that won't stop anyone from trying it.