5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks

Options

Replies

• runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Why is it that running threads never have the level of butthurt as ordinary threads?

Because as avid runners, we're all hopped up on endorphins, day after day, after day....LOL! It takes too much energy to get butt hurt. Plus, I have to admit, I thought OP was kidding but I guess not...?
  • humberstunner
    Options
    well ...... this has stirred up a storm.

You're all wrong. I've changed my profile picture to show myself and daughter completing the race in May the last time I followed a similar plan.

I aren't starting at a position of being relatively unfit. I run 25 miles a week and bike about 120 as my commute is a 24 mile round trip.

I'm not taking about competing, I'm talking about completing so there is no need for pace change. The whole point is to put the hours and the mileage in, you will get there and keep it to a slow pace via a Garmin watch and stick to it. We 'trundle' at an average of about 6mph max

I'm more than happy to give you all a Diary of how it's going at the end of each week as I know it works.

James Cracknell is an inspirational figure who is famous for rowing but is now an endurance athlete.

I added the 2000 calorie bit as I want to shed off a few pounds of holiday weight in the first four weeks and I must admit on long run days, latter in the programme this would be unwise.

My advice is don't road run if you can avoid it, it's too high impact and is hard on your joints. Consultants rooms are full of ex road runners having knee and hip replacement surgery. Trail running gives you more of an all over workout as you need to keep your balance and the ground is softer on your body.
  • humberstunner
    Options
    I don't actually know what 'butthurt' means ..... is it some strange American word?
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    LOL the average beginner 5k runner is not going to complete 15 miles in the 4th week, and if you or anyone else tries to state otherwise, you will lose all credibility. Not like you had any to begin with from what I can tell by reading the posts. But anyone who says 15 miles, or even the 9 miles in the 3rd week, is easy (or even just doable for a beginner) is lying. Period.
  • humberstunner
    Options
    LOL the average beginner 5k runner is not going to complete 15 miles in the 4th week, and if you or anyone else tries to state otherwise, you will lose all credibility. Not like you had any to begin with from what I can tell by reading the posts. But anyone who says 15 miles, or even the 9 miles in the 3rd week, is easy (or even just doable for a beginner) is lying. Period.
    Blimey, calm down, you all get a bit personal don't you!!

It's not easy but it's achievable
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where you got this plan from op as I have googled but been unable to locate the original plan.

I'd like to see what else they say about this plan.

Thanks
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    A former Olympic champion who has just gotten back into running might be able to handle this program. If Jillian Michaels (someone I know who is very fit but doesn't really run) decided to complete C25k, she might be able to do this. If you've been winning 5ks in your age group for the past year... but the average middle-aged, never been an athlete, overweight Couch to 5ker hasn't built the physical capacity for this. They can't judge form or effort - it took all the runners on MFP telling me to slow down to get me to my first 10k. I'm now working on my first half. I've been running for 9 months. I'm just beginning to *really* understand how to listen to my body (like how my not-painful-tight-calves affect everything else. A semi-fit new runner can easily run themselves into an injury on their first run. This plan offers multiple opportunities to do this.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    It's not easy but it's achievable

Achievable is a very optimistic way of putting it. But you seem dead-set on doing it even after 3 pages of posts telling you otherwise. Keep us posted on your progress. Maybe start a blog.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    You're all wrong.

Love it.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    You're all wrong.

Love it.

Yup, this is damn funny, I must say.

As someone who is finishing up week 10 of a 12 week 10k training program.....wow.

First, post by Carson is great. Second....running 5 times per week is a damn lot, especially for someone coming off of a C25K. Also, cross training mentioned doesn't include strength training.

For any new runners looking for a program, please look into other, more reasonable programs before deciding on something as intense as this. It's really not necessary.
  • AprilKill
    AprilKill Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I copied it, i have done a half marathon. But lately my knee has been getting really sore, so I am running really slow and try to take takes off
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This not a wise idea at all. It is a recipe for injury.

It's a GUARANTEE for injury! Yeah maybe you manage to *finish* a marathon (doubt you'd be able to make it without stopping to walk at one point) but not listed in OP's training program is the 8 months of physical therapy you're going to have to pay for to get your hips/knees/ankles/feet functional again.

I mean, C25k is 9 weeks. This program is 14 weeks. This means OP suggests that a non-runner can go from being unable to run a continuous mile to running a full marathon in half a year.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I copied it, i have done a half marathon. But lately my knee has been getting really sore, so I am running really slow and try to take takes off

But copied it from where?
  • Lance_K
    Lance_K Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    If you've completed the C25K it's the next step up and will lead in 14 weeks to you being able to complete a trail marathon.

I aren't starting at a position of being relatively unfit. I run 25 miles a week and bike about 120 as my commute is a 24 mile round trip.

I think if you can handle this plan yourself, that is great OP. What I take issue with is the fact that you (as quoted above), are suggesting that any average person who's just gotten from C25K can attempt this.

We have all made mistakes in our running history. I sure have. Gone out too hard, too fast, overtrained, etc. It's one thing to say "I want to go do a marathon in 2 months with no prior training" and it's another to tell other people that they could/should do the same.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You're all wrong.
    Uh, no.
    Now let me point on the inconsistencies and just plain misinformation in your post. Please accept this as constructive, because your comments here are going to lead someone down a path that will have them sidelined.

The title of this thread is "5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks" and you stated in that post that this "plan" was the next step up from the Couch to 5K plan.
    If you've completed the C25K it's the next step up and will lead in 14 weeks to you being able to complete a trail marathon.

Then, later in the thread, you said this (with bold added by me for emphasis):
    I've changed my profile picture to show myself and daughter completing the race in May the last time I followed a similar plan.

So, which is it? A plan for the novice runner just finishing the C25K program or for an experienced endurance athlete looking for a new challenge? Don't respond, I already know the answer.

There is no running coach in the world that would advocate this ramp up of mileage for someone just reaching the point where they can run for 30 minutes without stopping. It doesn't matter if you are talking about racing or just completing. It's too much mileage too soon. Period.

And now for this piece of "advice":
    My advice is don't road run if you can avoid it, it's too high impact and is hard on your joints. Consultants rooms are full of ex road runners having knee and hip replacement surgery. Trail running gives you more of an all over workout as you need to keep your balance and the ground is softer on your body.

This is just utter hogwash (that's American for bullsh1t). Running injuries occur primarily for two reasons.

1. Running too fast too soon.
    2. Running too far too soon.

Additionally, these running injuries are not structural in nature, which you imply (falsely) in the statement above. These running injuries are soft tissue injuries that can be fixed with rest, strengthening exercises and working on proper running form. There are been several studies that show that running actually improves overall joint health. Yes, there is a benefit to running on soft surfaces, but it's not to prevent you from needing to have a joint replaced. There is less impact on the soft tissues which will allow you to run more with less recovery time. It's not significant though, maybe a few more miles a week because of the softer surfaces.

So, to be clear here, this "plan" that you are advocating is not one for the beginning runner, and probably not one for the intermediate runner as it flies in the face of conventional training methods which have been developed over decades by qualified running coaches, many with PhDs in disciplines that qualify them as experts in the field, that are designed to maximize performance while maintaining the health and well-being of those that follow these programs.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    /end thread
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I still wish the op good luck.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I don't actually know what 'butthurt' means ..... is it some strange American word?

It's an expression that means getting overly emotional and hurt over inconsequential issues or perceived injustices.

And...I would love to see you address the inconsistencies Carson pointed out. I too thought you were talking about going from 5k to ultra running in 14 weeks.

Lastly, I guess the bottom line is: can it be done? Yeah, I can see where it could be done. Is it wise? Hell no. If you're truly a 5k runner moving up to ultra running in 14 weeks is just dumb. I say this as someone who has been running a mere two years, has been training for my first 26.2 for the last 6 months and will do a 50k in December. I run upwards of 35-40+ miles a week right now and do some cross training and I'm still working on all the essential skills necessary to accomplish these tasks. But maybe I'm just a slow learner.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You're all wrong.
    Uh, no.
    Now let me point on the inconsistencies and just plain misinformation in your post. Please accept this as constructive, because your comments here are going to lead someone down a path that will have them sidelined.

The title of this thread is "5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks" and you stated in that post that this "plan" was the next step up from the Couch to 5K plan.

Then, later in the thread, you said this (with bold added by me for emphasis):
    I've changed my profile picture to show myself and daughter completing the race in May the last time I followed a similar plan.

So, which is it? A plan for the novice runner just finishing the C25K program or for an experienced endurance athlete looking for a new challenge? Don't respond, I already know the answer.

There is no running coach in the world that would advocate this ramp up of mileage for someone just reaching the point where they can run for 30 minutes without stopping. It doesn't matter if you are talking about racing or just completing. It's too much mileage too soon. Period.

And now for this piece of "advice":

This is just utter hogwash (that's American for bullsh1t). Running injuries occur primarily for two reasons.

1. Running too fast too soon.
    2. Running too far too soon.

Additionally, these running injuries are not structural in nature, which you imply (falsely) in the statement above. These running injuries are soft tissue injuries that can be fixed with rest, strengthening exercises and working on proper running form. There are been several studies that show that running actually improves overall joint health. Yes, there is a benefit to running on soft surfaces, but it's not to prevent you from needing to have a joint replaced. There is less impact on the soft tissues which will allow you to run more with less recovery time. It's not significant though, maybe a few more miles a week because of the softer surfaces.

So, to be clear here, this "plan" that you are advocating is not one for the beginning runner, and probably not one for the intermediate runner as it flies in the face of conventional training methods which have been developed over decades by qualified running coaches, many with PhDs in disciplines that qualify them as experts in the field, that are designed to maximize performance while maintaining the health and well-being of those that follow these programs.

Gold.