Who Eats Processed And Still Gets Good Results

Options

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't eat processed meats because of the chemicals. There are healthy versions of all meat out there--what is wrong with choosing healthy instead of unhealthy?? It is one of the reasons why you are here.

Nothing's wrong with it. There's also nothing wrong with choosing "unhealthy" over "healthy." I don't understand why this has to be such a hot topic around here. Whether someone eats cupcakes or carrots is not a moral issue, so why does everyone care so much?

Also, literally everything is made out of chemicals.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I don't eat processed meats because of the chemicals. There are healthy versions of all meat out there--what is wrong with choosing healthy instead of unhealthy?? It is one of the reasons why you are here.

Exactly! Just because you can eat something processed and still lose weight / hit your macros, why do you actually want to when better alternatives exist? Fresh natural / organic meat tastes, looks, and smells so much better than any of that processed crap!

Because not everyone can afford the money or time in regards to constantly getting/cooking fresh produce and such. Also, some people can't handle raw veggies.

I don't see what is wrong with deli meats or buying frozen...especially if it is what fits in with your time and budget.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Meat is best slow roasted or poached (cooked in liquid) instead of grilling. Grilled meat is carcinogenic.

I don't get it. How is grilling meat more carcinogenic than slow roasting it in a gas oven?

I believe because the charred bits are carcinogenic. It was the only true part of what she posted.

Yeah, but those charred bits can happen either in an oven or a grill.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I try and buy the more natural sandwich meats... Applegate Naturals is a good brand. However, I can't always buy the best, so I do eat some other stuff too I continue to see results as it's not like it makes up ALL of my diet. I do remember to eat my apples, other fruits, and lots of steamed veggies :)
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    tl;dr is hollywood ****ed up a book in their movie adaptation. still thought the movie was better.

bashful.gif
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Exactly! Just because you can eat something processed and still lose weight / hit your macros, why do you actually want to when better alternatives exist? Fresh natural / organic meat tastes, looks, and smells so much better than any of that processed crap!
    Again,
    d74e2.jpg

Sounds good, I'll take my bacon center cut, without added sodium nitrate, from a pig that didn't consume antibiotics or GMOs :smile:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Meat is best slow roasted or poached (cooked in liquid) instead of grilling. Grilled meat is carcinogenic.

I don't get it. How is grilling meat more carcinogenic than slow roasting it in a gas oven?

I believe because the charred bits are carcinogenic. It was the only true part of what she posted.

No doubt. But it has less of a chance of burning when slow roasting or cooking in a liquid.

I am not agreeing with her, just saying that what she said is factually correct.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    tl;dr is hollywood ****ed up a book in their movie adaptation. still thought the movie was better.

bashful.gif

sorry, I love me some sneaky cannibalism in my movies :(
  • BarbaraCarr1981
    BarbaraCarr1981 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    canned-chicken.jpg

I eat one of these for every meal!

OMFG!!!!!!!!!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

No doubt. But it has less of a chance of burning when slow roasting or cooking in a liquid.

I am not agreeing with her, just saying that what she said is factually correct.

I understand now. will still be using my barbecue at least 3x a week.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I just eat soylent green. High in protein and really helps build muscle.

Processed lunch meat is horrible for you.

Being 50lbs overweight is worse. Helps me w my protein too!

but soylent green is people
    I have no idea what that is, lol. I just meant for me, eating my processed turkey is much healthier than the extra 50lbs I was carrying around.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjzm0lxaqI1rs9keio1_400.gif
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Again,
    d74e2.jpg

Sounds good, I'll take my bacon center cut, without added sodium nitrate, from a pig that didn't consume antibiotics or GMOs :smile:

http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Because not everyone can afford the money or time in regards to constantly getting/cooking fresh produce and such. Also, some people can't handle raw veggies.

I don't see what is wrong with deli meats or buying frozen...especially if it is what fits in with your time and budget.

I didn't say you should never have processed meat (the vege thing was actually a joke, lol). Obviously we are limited by our budgets and schedules, so if you can't afford it or don't have the time, you eat what you can. I just said if given the choice, I'd rather have something natural.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love this thread :drinker: It makes me feel human.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Slow roasting forms carcinogenic compounds too.

The safest cooking process is steaming, since your food cannot get above 212F, which drastically reduces the formation of carcinogens.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    i am a vegetarian who eats eggs. But i eat whatever i want and whenever i want. Its all about fitting in the calories. Simple!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    vi0adj.jpg

Nein.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mjzm0lxaqI1rs9keio1_400.gif
    I really do need to distinguish humor from sarcasm from crazy or stay out of the forums!! :laugh:
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Again,
    d74e2.jpg

http://ruhlman.com/2011/05/the-no-nitrites-added-hoax/
    Also this:

http://examine.com/faq/are-nitrates-from-beetroot-and-processed-meats-the-same-thing.html

So if you have a concern about nitrates in meat, eat some vegetables with it too, because even though vegetables have a nitrates too, they also have some other stuff that mitigates its effects.